Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:47 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:11 am

FLW houses are terrible to live in, but great to look at.
I don’t think this would suck to live in.
:dat:

I grew up in a house my parents built that was inspired by FLW. It was neat...all the natural light and big open windows were 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:47 am

I don’t think this would suck to live in.
Depends, are you an exhibitionist? The tours might get tiring in your daily life.

https://fallingwater.org/
I toured it. House was rad.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:26 am

Fallingwater isn’t exactly known for being watertight.

I love his designs but many of them are form > function, and have limited headroom. FLW was not a terribly tall man.
Good point. If Fallingwater was my house I’d just commit seppuku to put an end to my misery.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I love his designs but many of them are form > function, and have limited headroom. FLW was not a terribly tall man.
:notwrong:

shits been rebuilt 3 fucking times.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Good point. If Fallingwater was my house I’d just commit seppuku to put an end to my misery.
wise man.
ChrisoftheNorth

:wat:

I agree with the limited headroom, but his ethos was living within nature. All the designs were intended to be functional. I've been in a few privately owned houses, and if everything was left alone the way FLW intended, it was pretty :mindblown: functionally.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:02 pm

I agree with the limited headroom, but his ethos was living within nature. All the designs were intended to be functional. I've been in a few privately owned houses, and if everything was left alone the way FLW intended, it was pretty :mindblown: functionally.
Since FLW lived and worked in Chicago for a number of years, we have many of his homes here and elsewhere in Illinois. I've toured several of them. One of my favorites is the Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, the capital of Illinois. One recurring theme with many of his houses that I toured is indeed water damage. In fact, the Dana-Thomas House has a bowling ally in the basement (!) but we couldn't see it when we were there because the basement had just flooded, and the water came from from a leaky roof. The flat/shallow pitched roofs that he preferred did less than a stellar job of draining water and consequently it would find its way in somewhere. Love his stuff :doe: Love all that Prairie/Craftsman style architecture.
https://dana-thomas.org/
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:02 pm

I suppose form > function was a poor way of wording it.

His designs were fantastic, and based around functionalism, but long term durability was where they suffered.

So, in terms of ergonomics/living in the house - great. In terms of lasting forever... not so great.

I absolutely love FLW stuff, though. We looked at this house long before buying the house we're in now:

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Southampton/1 ... e/39362771

It was designed by a student of Taliesin IIRC.
Yea...like :wap: said, the flat roofs and lots of glass means difficult durability.

That's why I really like our prairie style house. He had a big influence in that style, but it was before he went over the top with flat roofs and whatnot. Our house had a pitch to the roof and oversized windows that give the feeling without being difficult to maintain.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:44 pm Found our next :haus:

http://tuxedoparkfinehomes.com/?propert ... k-ny-10987
:neat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's incredible that is all on offer for less than a million bucks. I mean, I realize there's probably another $400K in "necessary renovations".................but that's a lot of architecture and space for 6 digits.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

In actual news, there are no real photos available but we are casually interested in this place:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/308- ... 1299_zpid/?

The 30-something guy who owned it was killed in a car crash this summer and his parents are trying to :dealwithit: - apparently it's in "pre-foreclosure" whatever that means. We probably won't end up doing anything but it's the only place we've seen locally that seems like it might be both interesting and affordable.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:52 pm

It's incredible that is all on offer for less than a million bucks. I mean, I realize there's probably another $400K in "necessary renovations".................but that's a lot of architecture and space for 6 digits.

If we had jobs in Manhattan instead of Corning, I could see ourselves going :fullretard: and buying it. Our friends paid more than that for a shitty row home in Queens... This place is epic.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:55 pm

If we had jobs in Manhattan instead of Corning, I could see ourselves going :fullretard: and buying it. Our friends paid more than that for a shitty row home in Queens... This place is epic.
but you are more than 1hour away from actual island. Cool house and all for a oddly low price.

:neat:

Definitely haunted tho.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Not seeing any garage... :wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:53 pm In actual news, there are no real photos available but we are casually interested in this place:

The 30-something guy who owned it was killed in a car crash this summer and his parents are trying to :dealwithit: - apparently it's in "pre-foreclosure" whatever that means. We probably won't end up doing anything but it's the only place we've seen locally that seems like it might be both interesting and affordable.
Wow. I'd love to see more photos of this thing. Super interesting, especially at that price.
wap

:fancy: :mahtroy:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:53 pm In actual news, there are no real photos available but we are casually interested in this place:

Wow. I'd love to see more photos of this thing. Super interesting, especially at that price.
What's not super interesting is heating and cooling a 12K square foot castle in New York.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:27 am Has anyone done a bathroom in stages? We aren't going to move anything so it seems like it's possible and a way to save some stress.
Depends what you want to do. The biggest pain is changing the tub and/or shower because it can't really be done properly in a day.

We've changed vanities, toilets, and tile in stages with success.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

And just like that we're back to owning only one home. :sweaty: Bittersweet, but thankful everything's finally gone through.

Although the effing terrible appraisal for our equity line dragged things out and made it so we couldn't put down as much as we wanted on the new place, we did get a nice chunk of change from closing. Just dropped this year's contribution into the little dude's 529 plan and sent payoffs for the GTI and the Atlas, so we're down to having no debt at all but the house, which is a nice feeling.

I'm officially a suburban dad now. :disgust:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:52 pm And just like that we're back to owning only one home. :sweaty: Bittersweet, but thankful everything's finally gone through.

Although the effing terrible appraisal for our equity line dragged things out and made it so we couldn't put down as much as we wanted on the new place, we did get a nice chunk of change from closing. Just dropped this year's contribution into the little dude's 529 plan and sent payoffs for the GTI and the Atlas, so we're down to having no debt at all but the house, which is a nice feeling.

:fuckyeah:

Congrats coogs!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:03 pm :fuckyeah:

Congrats coogs!
Thanks!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:52 pm And just like that we're back to owning only one home. :sweaty: Bittersweet, but thankful everything's finally gone through.

Now, avoid the :plac: and stay out of debt.

:like:
wap

Fucking FINALLY!

Great news.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:13 pm Now, avoid the :plac: and stay out of debt.

:like:
ha well, the GTI is definitely getting the axe, but it'll be for something roughly the same price or hopefully cheaper. It'll be boring, but I'll just have to deal, I won't ever have a car note again.