Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:03 pm
Yea, we really liked them at our last house, and I'm confident we'll like these too. The efficiency of being able to control room by room (even from an app on our phones no less!) is really great.
So does each air unit thingie have it's own compressor?
No, they share a compressor unit outside.

But the compressor unit outside runs more frequently with each additional room turned on. So only running one room means the compressor doesn't run that often, which keeps the energy costs down.

What really blows my mind if the efficiency of the heating function. When it's above 40 outside, it's cheaper to heat the house with the splits than it is to run the boiler.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

@Detroit So did you opt for these because you don't have central air or in addition to? Reason I ask is I converted our dining room into a bedroom but for some strange reason its not very well serviced by my current air-handler. I was wondering if I could tie a "split' into my current compressor unit and save some bucks.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm @Detroit So did you opt for these because you don't have central air or in addition to? Reason I ask is I converted our dining room into a bedroom but for some strange reason its not very well serviced by my current air-handler. I was wondering if I could tie a "split' into my current compressor unit and save some bucks.
We did it because we have steam heat and thus no duct work in the house. Could have added duct work, sure...but the splits work better for us.

I don't think you can add a split head to an existing compressor, unless it's a mini split compressor.

However, I have heard of people adding a minisplit unit (single) with a small compressor outside to take care of certain rooms that aren't getting adequate heating and cooling from the existing HVAC system. Challenge is cost, would probably be ~$3k all-in installed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish

Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:57 pm
Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm @Detroit So did you opt for these because you don't have central air or in addition to? Reason I ask is I converted our dining room into a bedroom but for some strange reason its not very well serviced by my current air-handler. I was wondering if I could tie a "split' into my current compressor unit and save some bucks.
We did it because we have steam heat and thus no duct work in the house. Could have added duct work, sure...but the splits work better for us.

I don't think you can add a split head to an existing compressor, unless it's a mini split compressor.

However, I have heard of people adding a minisplit unit (single) with a small compressor outside to take care of certain rooms that aren't getting adequate heating and cooling from the existing HVAC system. Challenge is cost, would probably be ~$3k all-in installed.
:ohdang: too :salt: y

Looks like a window a/c and blankets are the order of the day.....

Cerally :doe: I need to get an HVAC guy in to see if I am missing something.....there is no obvious reason why that room is getting the short end of the stick...... the only thing I can figure is that the system just is not quite up to capacity for the house.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Cerally :doe: I need to get an HVAC guy in to see if I am missing something.....there is no obvious reason why that room is getting the short end of the stick...... the only thing I can figure is that the system just is not quite up to capacity for the house.
Was the house added onto since the system was installed?
Irish

Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:06 pm
Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm

No, but the builder (who was initially our landlord and neighbor) is a corner cutting :derp: My guess is he put in an underpowered unit and that room is serviced by an inefficient duct
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:06 pm
No, but the builder (who was initially our landlord and neighbor) is a corner cutting :derp: My guess is he put in an underpowered unit and that room is serviced by an inefficient duct
Very likely. :|
Irish

Acid666 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 am
Irish wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 pm I opened my pool this weekend. I used this site called Trouble Free Pool to learn all about water chemistry and how to forgo pool store highway robbery by using bleach as a chlorinator, baking soda for alkalinity, home depot muriatic acid for pH. The site has a cool app called pool math that directs how much to add based on the numbers. My pool is sparkling clear all season and I really enjoy keeping it that way on the cheap.
Nice baw! From what I hear getting a pool to stay clear can be a nightmare with finding a good balance. Me. I'd just throw a buncha bleach and dawn in it along with a ring of lye around it and get mad when it doesn't work.
Thanks Mang.....Yeah, I don't mess around

Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 am

Nice baw! From what I hear getting a pool to stay clear can be a nightmare with finding a good balance. Me. I'd just throw a buncha bleach and dawn in it along with a ring of lye around it and get mad when it doesn't work.
Thanks Mang.....Yeah, I don't mess around

You don't mess around, but you a basic pool bitch!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Soffits getting replaced today. No more rotted holes. Yay house shit.

This is going to be an expensive month on the ole bank account.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

dubshow wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 am Soffits getting replaced today. No more rotted holes. Yay house shit.

Man that's next on my list. My soffits are rotting on a couple of corners, along with the vertical trim in a couple of spots. Need to just do it all. Previous owner painted the soffits pretty thick too so I think it kind of plugged up some of the airflow. So I'll address that when I do em.
I look forward to having the blood in my hands drain from having them up in the air all day.
You doing them yourself?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:44 am
dubshow wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 am Soffits getting replaced today. No more rotted holes. Yay house shit.

Man that's next on my list. My soffits are rotting on a couple of corners, along with the vertical trim in a couple of spots. Need to just do it all. Previous owner painted the soffits pretty thick too so I think it kind of plugged up some of the airflow. So I'll address that when I do em.
I look forward to having the blood in my hands drain from having them up in the air all day.
You doing them yourself?
ran out of time and hired someone.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Trigger rock!!!!! :triggered:

It's fucking hot outside. Got that project done. Removed $500 of mexicant beach stones and replaced with $40 of limestone. Done and done. I refused to spend another dollar on fancy rock and didn't have enough so project has been incomplete for 2 years.

House is listed with agent for 4% commission. If we find out own buyer she isn't charging us. Had a showing scheduled the day it hit market. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:48 pm Trigger rock!!!!! :triggered:

It's fucking hot outside. Got that project done. Removed $500 of mexicant beach stones and replaced with $40 of limestone. Done and done. I refused to spend another dollar on fancy rock and didn't have enough so project has been incomplete for 2 years.

House is listed with agent for 4% commission. If we find out own buyer she isn't charging us. Had a showing scheduled the day it hit market. Image

why did you leave the blue rock
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:drool:

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am :drool:

wats dis? you moving to a :waxer: palace?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:25 am
dubshow wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:48 pm Trigger rock!!!!! :triggered:

why did you leave the blue rock
Why is that last little bit left? Cause I was too fucking tired to continue shoveling it out. I also thought it looked nice. :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 am wats dis? you moving to a :waxer: palace?
Wife called our realtor to ask for showing. I'm a bit :notsure: about the whole idea. Can we afford it? Yeah. But if we have to pay for that plus two kids in daycare things are going to get tight in a hurry. Not like we couldn't do it, but I rather like having a lot of flexibility in the budget. Usually I don't have a problem telling her to quit dreaming, but got damn do I love that place.

Preferably I'd like to wait to move at least until my son is in kindergarten.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 am wats dis? you moving to a :waxer: palace?
Wife called our realtor to ask for showing. I'm a bit :notsure: about the whole idea. Can we afford it? Yeah. But if we have to pay for that plus two kids in daycare things are going to get tight in a hurry. Not like we couldn't do it, but I rather like having a lot of flexibility in the budget. Usually I don't have a problem telling her to quit dreaming, but got damn do I love that place.

https://www.mswoods.com/7501-spring-mil ... le-mls.htm

yeah, thats real :nice:

also a lot of financial commitment.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:52 am

3k sq/ft??? :jesus: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:57 am

3k sq/ft??? :jesus: :nope:
:dat:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:57 am 3k sq/ft??? :jesus: :nope:
:wat:
ChrisoftheNorth

A ton of financial commitment here. Worth checking out for sure, but need to weigh the costs. Being house poor is no bueno.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also...maintenance. This is gorgeous, but holy hell that yard and everything. It's probably a full time job just keeping everything up. Factor in the price of all that too (both time and financial).
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:07 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:57 am 3k sq/ft??? :jesus: :nope:
:wat:
It's a ton of house bro. Lots to consider there...not just the extra cost of replacing things, but just the simple act of cleaning it all.