Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Started to clear out our backyard near the fence. I've got 100ft of that tennis court mesh shit a year ago for the fence, but I needed to clear out all of this crap first.
Also, This corner is where I plan on building my shop. Paw Paw (previous owner) used to park his RV back here, so there's a swing gate that enters thru the apartment complex. So I'm thinking that I can just slab over this area and then build on top of it, and have a major access point to my property without having to drive thru the grass. I'd build on the other side of the lot but there's 3 trees there and their roots/knees would just destroy the slab.
Once I get the back edge of the fence cleared of this pompous (or whatever these bladey pieces of shit are) and the chicken trees, I might build a compound around my entire backyard to hide myself from the outside world. And to be able to store vehicles and shit.

My airboat fence got dat barbed wire. WHAT Y'ALL KNOW BOUT THEM PRISON SHITS BRUHS!?

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 pm

My airboat fence got dat barbed wire. WHAT Y'ALL KNOW BOUT THEM PRISON SHITS BRUHS!?

gotta keep the apt poors out your yard brah
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Lol. It's really not too bad here. I've had like, one problem with people in it in 5 years and even that wasn't that bad. Some kids were throwing rocks at a snek and it was going into my yard. I was like "meh, whatevs kiddos".
The plus side is that there's an apartment entrance on my garage side, meaning that I don't have a neighbor there. So I don't have to ever lock eyes with a Clark Griswald cousin. When I compound it all in, it'll be teh awesum because I can isolate my airboatness.

Here's the 30,000' view of my master airboat plans.
40X30 shop, possibly with a lean to on the side. It gets kind of close to the house, but when I turn it the other way it just takes up way too much of the yard. Also, if I put it on the right side (like where you'd drive straight in thru a roll up door) that's where the 3 trees are that will fuck my concrete up. Plus when you look out of the kitchen window, all you'll see is building. When it's off to the left, it's out of the way.

The orange is just a simple covered area where I plan on parking the car hauler. That way I can pack it up, and then just open my swing gate in the mornings and not leave a car exposed to the elements or the outside area. Purple would just be a small 15X15 or so mother in law suite where the wife can do shit.
Yellow is just a simple roofed area where I could keep cars out of the elements.
Shop, I'm hoping to be able to install as many roll up doors as possible. One in the back for that swing gate area into the apartments for entry. One on the right side, and one on the bottom so that I can get some airflow, and possibly expand a driveway down the side of the house to leave in the future. The shop door location will determine how I organize the shop, and where I put my 2 post lift.

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

you got to check lot line setback reqs my man. There is no way an enclosed mother in law suit can be located there.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Lol. It's really not too bad here. I've had like, one problem with people in it in 5 years and even that wasn't that bad. Some kids were throwing rocks at a snek and it was going into my yard. I was like "meh, whatevs kiddos".
The plus side is that there's an apartment entrance on my garage side, meaning that I don't have a neighbor there. So I don't have to ever lock eyes with a Clark Griswald cousin. When I compound it all in, it'll be teh awesum because I can isolate my airboatness.

Here's the 30,000' view of my master airboat plans.
40X30 shop, possibly with a lean to on the side. It gets kind of close to the house, but when I turn it the other way it just takes up way too much of the yard. Also, if I put it on the right side (like where you'd drive straight in thru a roll up door) that's where the 3 trees are that will fuck my concrete up. Plus when you look out of the kitchen window, all you'll see is building. When it's off to the left, it's out of the way.

The orange is just a simple covered area where I plan on parking the car hauler. That way I can pack it up, and then just open my swing gate in the mornings and not leave a car exposed to the elements or the outside area. Purple would just be a small 15X15 or so mother in law suite where the wife can do shit.
Yellow is just a simple roofed area where I could keep cars out of the elements.
Shop, I'm hoping to be able to install as many roll up doors as possible. One in the back for that swing gate area into the apartments for entry. One on the right side, and one on the bottom so that I can get some airflow, and possibly expand a driveway down the side of the house to leave in the future. The shop door location will determine how I organize the shop, and where I put my 2 post lift.

I'd also have concerns about using the apt complex's ROW for entry. Unless you have ROW written into your home lot from when the sold the land behind it.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

dubshow wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:52 pm you got to check lot line setback reqs my man. There is no way an enclosed mother in law suit can be located there.
Once I dig into getting all of it done, all of that will be figured out. This is all just general layout. Me cutting down all of the shrubs and crap in the back is the start so that I can eventually get the proper people to come in and take a look at what I'm working with and then go from there.
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:58 pm I'd also have concerns about using the apt complex's ROW for entry. Unless you have ROW written into your home lot from when the sold the land behind it.
Well Paw-paw before me parked his RV back there for years, but I'm not sure who actually put up that swing gate fence. The apartments have a metal fence at the entrance, but it ends right there and doesn't continue around the perimeter. Paw-paw didn't exactly do things right with a few things on the house, so I'm aware that the gate likely wasn't really legit either.
Either way, That's why I want other roll up doors in other spots so I can access it from different places. I just don't want to have to constantly be driving across my grass to get a car in there.
I was planning on talking to the apartments about it as well.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I opened my pool this weekend. I used this site called Trouble Free Pool to learn all about water chemistry and how to forgo pool store highway robbery by using bleach as a chlorinator, baking soda for alkalinity, home depot muriatic acid for pH. The site has a cool app called pool math that directs how much to add based on the numbers. My pool is sparkling clear all season and I really enjoy keeping it that way on the cheap.
Acid666

Irish wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 pm I opened my pool this weekend. I used this site called Trouble Free Pool to learn all about water chemistry and how to forgo pool store highway robbery by using bleach as a chlorinator, baking soda for alkalinity, home depot muriatic acid for pH. The site has a cool app called pool math that directs how much to add based on the numbers. My pool is sparkling clear all season and I really enjoy keeping it that way on the cheap.
Nice baw! From what I hear getting a pool to stay clear can be a nightmare with finding a good balance. Me. I'd just throw a buncha bleach and dawn in it along with a ring of lye around it and get mad when it doesn't work.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 pm I opened my pool this weekend. I used this site called Trouble Free Pool to learn all about water chemistry and how to forgo pool store highway robbery by using bleach as a chlorinator, baking soda for alkalinity, home depot muriatic acid for pH. The site has a cool app called pool math that directs how much to add based on the numbers. My pool is sparkling clear all season and I really enjoy keeping it that way on the cheap.
:impressive:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Fucking ac is out. inside fan wont kick on. They coming today to hopefully fix. Fucker isn't even 3 years old.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am Fucking ac is out. inside fan wont kick on. They coming today to hopefully fix. Fucker isn't even 3 years old.
They don't make things like they used to...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am Fucking ac is out. inside fan wont kick on. They coming today to hopefully fix. Fucker isn't even 3 years old.
Plus airboat land so I thought AC replacement was a regular maintenance thing?

:trollface:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:22 am

it kinda is.

Bitch has a 5 year parts warranty, if they try to fuck me around on labor / freon words will be had. They were nice enough on the phone so here is hoping.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 am

it kinda is.

Bitch has a 5 year parts warranty, if they try to fuck me around on labor / freon words will be had. They were nice enough on the phone so here is hoping.
:notbad:

Hopefully they continue to be nice.
ChrisoftheNorth

it kinda is.

We had minisplits installed in our house in December, has an 8 year parts/labor warranty and a 12 year parts warranty. :notbad: overall.

We turned them on for heat once temps were regularly in the 40's, and they errored out for some reason. Called the installers out and they came to look at them. Of course when they come, nothing is wrong and they claim that sometimes that stuff just happens after a season of being turned off.

Then we got a $125 bill for the 5 minutes they came out for...after we paid them $18k to install the things just 5 months ago (and never got to use them). Words were had, with increasingly frustrated tones and eventually the bill went away.

I get they need to pay for their people's time, but still.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

it kinda is.

We had minisplits installed in our house in December, has an 8 year parts/labor warranty and a 12 year parts warranty. :notbad: overall.

We turned them on for heat once temps were regularly in the 40's, and they errored out for some reason. Called the installers out and they came to look at them. Of course when they come, nothing is wrong and they claim that sometimes that stuff just happens after a season of being turned off.

Then we got a $125 bill for the 5 minutes they came out for...after we paid them $18k to install the things just 5 months ago (and never got to use them). Words were had, with increasingly frustrated tones and eventually the bill went away.

yea.

So being a mechanical engineer i know a thing or two about HVAC. So the fan is not running...could be a safety because it iced up. BUt the outside is still running (which is bad) so it seems like that would trip the whole system.....anywho.... Yesterday was the first really high humidity AND hot day...so if its the safety for the coil icing up that means it low on freon. Thats either equipment or install on a not even 3 year old system. I also get the freon isn't free but low is =/= to full system fill for YOUR mistake...i better see that credit if you have to suck it out, repair, and refill.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

aint that the sad truth. There are trades off, like insulation and proper vapor barriers in slabs and better sealing windows, but yea. A/Cs from the 80s-90s were work horses. I guess everything fails eventually, but seeing 30 years of AC performance is :impressive: IMO.

Hell, our hotwater heater is from 1978. Still going! The other one at old house was OG from 1979 and gave out in 2017.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:notrwrong:

its why I doubled down on a :waxer: trane unit... at my old house that I am selling. :rage:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

it kinda is.

That is a kick ass warranty. On anything.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notbad:

In4DFDpoolpartyatIrish'scompound
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Yea...well made spending almost $20k on fucking air condition more palatable. At least I won't have to deal with major repair bills for a long time.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Yea...well made spending almost $20k on fucking air condition more palatable. At least I won't have to deal with major repair bills for a long time.
Splits are awesome dude. Such room by room control.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm
Yea, we really liked them at our last house, and I'm confident we'll like these too. The efficiency of being able to control room by room (even from an app on our phones no less!) is really great.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Yea, we really liked them at our last house, and I'm confident we'll like these too. The efficiency of being able to control room by room (even from an app on our phones no less!) is really great.
So does each air unit thingie have it's own compressor?