Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Should be good. Measures out at 21.5' x 12' not including the bathroom or closet.

All of the rooms are pretty big, the additional bedrooms upstairs are all ~17x12 except bed 3, that one is only ~15x13.

The storage room is going to be my IT closet and it is 5x11
You're going to have the builder run cat everywhere? Don't forget camera drops.
Yes, looking at doing cat6a everywhere. Camera drops are planned, as well as ceiling drops for POE APs. I have to see what he has options for as far as SMC's, I have a couple 24 POE port Ubiquitis and APs now, but might upgrade that, still researching the best options that aren't datacenter prices. I would like to be able to move to 10gbase-t at some point.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:13 pm

Yes, looking at doing cat6a everywhere. Camera drops are planned, as well as ceiling drops for POE APs. I have to see what he has options for as far as SMC's, I have a couple 24 POE port Ubiquitis and APs now, but might upgrade that, still researching the best options that aren't datacenter prices. I would like to be able to move to 10gbase-t at some point.
:impressive: I'm sure you've considered it BUT most storage rooms have less than adequate ventilation.
Yes, I already told the contractor of my intentions and before I could say anything more he cut me off and told me that I need more power and A/C plumbed into this room. I added two 20A circuits on my list for that room and will wall mount a fan to move air as well.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:25 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Yes, I already told the contractor of my intentions and before I could say anything more he cut me off and told me that I need more power and A/C plumbed into this room. I added two 20A circuits on my list for that room and will wall mount a fan to move air as well.
:fuckyeah: jelly
I'm just glad that they will let me deal directly with the contractors and work out custom changes. I've spent a lot of time trying to fish wires and make changes in my current house that it will be awesome to just have everything where I want it from the start.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:55 pm

I know, just make that up as a reason for her to ask about it. Another offer for YOU, not for her. Again, don't come in with an ultimatum, just ask and have a reason for it. Hell, in my case I would just call my boss and be like "I want to move to San Diego because the weather rules" and he would be like "will you work the same way there as you have in the past?" I would say "yes" and he would be like cool, let me know what time off you need to move.

I don't see how this could possibly lead to a layoff. You just have to go in upfront and say "I am still going to be happy here if we can't do this, but we'd love to move because XYZ and I'm confident I could continue to perform at a high level as I've demonstrated for the past six months."

If she never tries this, you can't complain about Corning anymore.
:notwrong:

I've been pushing her to do that for the past 4 months. She's scared of being branded a quitter and punted at the nearest opportunity - or at the very least overlooked for everything in the future. Even if it's granted the fear is that the old-school business will not value remote people and they will be treated like garbage eternally. With no fallback plan and a history of getting no offers whatsoever from anyone anywhere, it's hard to argue against being super conservative. Not only can one not bite the hand that feeds, one shouldn't even look at it funny. One should shake and roll over and play dead like a good fucking boy.
:iono: I may be way off base, I've never worked at a large/conservative company. I just can't imagine it hurting to at least ask if asked in the right way, but maybe some of the people who come from more "old school" companies can comment.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:56 pm
Looks like a dope pad! Will you be acquiring an RV or what other :neat: things will fill that space?
Thanks man.

Plan is to make it my shop. My compressor and all my floor standing tools, benches and other equipment will go in the back area and I am going to get a Bendpak lift up near the front.
Oh man, :jelly:

That will be awesome.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:43 pm Who are you?
Yo soy el depilador
:zing:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Flooding.

I'm going to make the best of it, I can get some land outside the city for a decent price and build a Melon Manor for a reasonable sum.
Realistically, I'm relegated to the gulf south, with Houston being the next hub that I could find work in, but man, I'd rather stay in Louisiana than live in Houston.
Austin is a different story, I'd love to live there. Once things pick back up, I'll start looking around that area.
:melon: hit it on the head here. And I'll add to it.
If you're not a football fan or lean to the right, you're going to have a tough time here. Baton Rouge is a little different than my town of Lafayette an hour west, but Lafayette has its own barrel of problems. I live in the metropolis of what's considered Cajun Country. The people here think we're the next Austin, but my fucking god we're far from it. I used to go to Austin a couple of times a year to visit a friend and this place is farrrrrrrrrrrr too unaccepting of people that aren't jesus lovers and people that don't look like them to be even close to Austin. The bigotry and hardcore christian right mentality seeps into the brain stems of most of the people here. They'll say they're accepting of everyone, every race, every creed... But deep down there's a seething tooth grinding backdrop of "Oh they don't believe in Jeebus and want to hand out abortions like halloween candy so we must shun them." It's very apparent when I listen to a local call in radio show in the afternoons on the way home from work. The mentality of people calling it is just sad. It's the mentality of "I'm not racist... BUT"..... Uh huh podnuh, just stfu now before you put your foot in your mouth.

Then there's the items that Louisiana is #50 in. But I guess it's all ok since we're #1 in college football. Louisiana is now three for three in being recognized as the worst state based on health care, education, infrastructure, crime and other quality-of-life measures, according to a national analysis.
In addition to coming in 50th overall each time the report has been released, Louisiana this year also ranked 50th compared to all others in individual analyses on crime, opportunity and the environment. Other categories scored included the state's economy (49th), education (48th), fiscal stability (43rd), health care (45th) and infrastructure (48th). Oil companies get MAJOR tax breaks for being here, and we collect virtually zero of that to put into our budget. The system is corrupt, the people are idiots (they put Clay Higgins in the fucking house of representatives.

Our roads are total shit too.
The only upsides is that it's relatively cheap to live here. A LOT of students graduate in Mechanical Engineering here, due to it being the hub of the oil companies (we're halfway between Houston and the Gulf, so Lafayette is actually where a lot of oil and gas work is done). The thing is those students stick around because of the Oil & Gas industry and never really leave it.

And don't get me started on the ramped amount of personal injury lawyers down here. Gordon can suck my ass
Good lord. :disgust: :gag: :nope:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:31 pm

I'm just glad that they will let me deal directly with the contractors and work out custom changes. I've spent a lot of time trying to fish wires and make changes in my current house that it will be awesome to just have everything where I want it from the start.
Yeah I'm going to say this is a top five feature of this place for a dude like yourself. It's more.........restrained than what I had envisioned for you.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm Two weeks ago I signed and placed an EMD down on this in Las Vegas.

.5 acre
4729 square feet.
Paver stone driveways.
Nobody going to build behind me, so private back yard.
48" stove/oven
Built-in Fridge/Freezer
Guest suite downstairs will be my office.
Bunch of other small upgrades that nickel and dime you to death. Only doing the ones that I really like, or that would be hard to do once it's built.

Meeting with the flooring and electrical contractors in the next week to spec out all my custom wiring and flooring.
Expect to close between mid-January and mid-February.
:nice: glad to see you back on here too
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm Two weeks ago I signed and placed an EMD down on this in Las Vegas.

.5 acre
4729 square feet.
Paver stone driveways.
48" stove/oven
Built-in Fridge/Freezer
Bunch of other small upgrades that nickel and dime you to death. Only doing the ones that I really like, or that would be hard to do once it's built.

Meeting with the flooring and electrical contractors in the next week to spec out all my custom wiring and flooring.
That's dope man! Love it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

.5 acre
4729 square feet.
Paver stone driveways.
48" stove/oven
Built-in Fridge/Freezer

Boom 💥💥💥💥

That's a cool lot dude, congrats and good choice!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Nice man!

Idk how I'd be able to build a custom house and not have my hand in things.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Yeah I'm going to say this is a top five feature of this place for a dude like yourself. It's more.........restrained than what I had envisioned for you.
To be completely transparent, I have my doubts if I will be able to live in Las Vegas for more than 8-10 years. Nevada is turning more and more like "Little California", so I didn't want to go nuts and get something that was going to be a hard sell down the road. By the time we get the house and get a planner to design and install the backyard and pool we will have about $950-$975k invested in this place, if we don't go insane. We looked at some options that would have pushed closer into the $1.5-$1.8M range, but houses like those sit for a long time and the market in Vegas is HOT right now. There was a neighborhood by this same builder that was about $100k more that was all 5k foot single stories, but within two days of seeing the model with no homes sold and calling to lock in a lot they sold all 26 lots. Anything under $1M goes fast. When/if we decide to sell I want to go liquid fast and bail.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 pm
Boom 💥💥💥💥

That's a cool lot dude, congrats and good choice!
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 pm I wouldn't be able to build without this. I would NEED a GC AND to have project meetings/ability to talk to the trades about exactly how I want custom things.
Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 pm
Nice man!

Idk how I'd be able to build a custom house and not have my hand in things.
Thanks guys. Believe me that I've spent many days thinking about this over the last month and trying to find the right builder that allowed this level of input. My wife knew that I needed to be involved, so she's happy too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:14 pm

To be completely transparent, I have my doubts if I will be able to live in Las Vegas for more than 8-10 years. Nevada is turning more and more like "Little California", so I didn't want to go nuts and get something that was going to be a hard sell down the road. By the time we get the house and get a planner to design and install the backyard and pool we will have about $950-$975k invested in this place, if we don't go insane. We looked at some options that would have pushed closer into the $1.5-$1.8M range, but houses like those sit for a long time and the market in Vegas is HOT right now. There was a neighborhood by this same builder that was about $100k more that was all 5k foot single stories, but within two days of seeing the model with no homes sold and calling to lock in a lot they sold all 26 lots. Anything under $1M goes fast. When/if we decide to sell I want to go liquid fast and bail.
Sounds smart.

I've noticed that here. $300K-900K stuff seems to sell pretty much immediately. Past that point the buyer pool is so limited and they also get very picky with specifics when they could just build something custom themselves at that level.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Locked in all our options besides electrical and flooring today so the build can start.

Next Saturday we pick the flooring and custom electrical, so another trip to Vegas is happening.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:12 pm

:notwrong:

I've been pushing her to do that for the past 4 months. She's scared of being branded a quitter and punted at the nearest opportunity - or at the very least overlooked for everything in the future. Even if it's granted the fear is that the old-school business will not value remote people and they will be treated like garbage eternally. With no fallback plan and a history of getting no offers whatsoever from anyone anywhere, it's hard to argue against being super conservative. Not only can one not bite the hand that feeds, one shouldn't even look at it funny. One should shake and roll over and play dead like a good fucking boy.
:iono: I may be way off base, I've never worked at a large/conservative company. I just can't imagine it hurting to at least ask if asked in the right way, but maybe some of the people who come from more "old school" companies can comment.
I hate my company and my job, but I love it from home.

We've been talking a lot about moving to Northern MI again, and we're almost to the point of just going up there and if I'm called back to the office, offer instead to come in once per week for meetings, and WFH the rest of the week. It's worked this far, why couldn't it continue? If they pass, I'll resign.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:20 pm Locked in all our options besides electrical and flooring today so the build can start.

Next Saturday we pick the flooring and custom electrical, so another trip to Vegas is happening.
Are you taking the GoRf or JL on these trips?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:22 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:20 pm Locked in all our options besides electrical and flooring today so the build can start.

The last one was the GoRf. We left the :doge: at home. When we take her we take the JL since it's easier to her her in and out of, and she likes the space.

The GoRf is highly preferred with the high wind areas, and getting 29 MPG vs ~14 MPG in the JL. It was nice to not get gas as often.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:27 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:22 pm

The last one was the GoRf. We left the :doge: at home. When we take her we take the JL since it's easier to her her in and out of, and she likes the space.

The GoRf is highly preferred with the high wind areas, and getting 29 MPG vs ~14 MPG in the JL. It was nice to not get gas as often.
Is she tall? I would have thought the GoRf with the rear seats folded would have ample :doge: space
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:35 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Is she tall? I would have thought the GoRf with the rear seats folded would have ample :doge: space
She's a lab, so she's about as wide as she is tall.. :)

The problem is her getting in w/o scratching the shit out of the car for me, and for her she likes the entire back seat. if we're packing up everything the back of the R gets tight w/o the seats down.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Damn that's going to be a nice ass house, congratulations Waxer!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 am Damn that's going to be a nice ass house, congratulations Waxer!
Thanks man... We are getting excited for it.

We've been collecting images of different back yard ideas so we can show them to a designer as soon as the house is built and we can get some plans and complete the yard before we actually move in.

We want to do an outdoor kitchen of sorts including covered areas with ceiling fans, seating, TV, etcetera. Also going to do a pool and some landscaping initially. Maybe Palm trees, but I don't know yet.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 am Damn that's going to be a nice ass house, congratulations Waxer!
Thanks man... We are getting excited for it.

We've been collecting images of different back yard ideas so we can show them to a designer as soon as the house is built and we can get some plans and complete the yard before we actually move in.

We want to do an outdoor kitchen of sorts including covered areas with ceiling fans, seating, TV, etcetera. Also going to do a pool and some landscaping initially. Maybe Palm trees, but I don't know yet.
Excellent. Shade is key. And trees will reduce your home cooling costs too so win win.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Some easy stuff knocked out at the house this morning. Hung a towel rod in the bathroom. The kitchen/living area had two hooks in the ceiling, so we got some cool hanging things to put plants on. They’re whole cuts of a tree with the bark still on, them just strung up by some heavy rope/twine. Ordered online and they showed up yesterday, so today we cruised to a nursery and grabbed some mature philodendrons to put on them.