Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:08 am Got the grill all done!
I need to get a new stainless cooking grate for it, but it's ready to go.

The front burner flares up, so I'll have to work with that, but it works well.

I took most things apart, painted the frame, and the metal parts with BBQ high-temp paint, and threw on a coat of polyurethane on the wood.

Pressure washed the inside of the cooking cabinet. The flavor bars had some rust, so cleaned those off and coated them with veggie oil, and then ran the grill for an hour, seasoned them well enough.

Came out pretty well I think, and I'll have spent about $75 on the project total. (add another $60 for the propane cylinder + refill)

:jimp:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 pm Hot water heater went.. luckily under warranty but still :rage:
:|

What a time for that to happen!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 pm Oh, side note, it's an indirect boiler heated water heater so it's ton of labor
Had to google.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:40 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:11 pm Oh, side note, it's an indirect boiler heated water heater so it's ton of labor
Had to google.
Same. Thought I had this initially, but I actually have an on-demand system. Not sure if that would be more or less :waxer: to replace.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:37 pm :|

They are doing a solid job with appropriate precautions but the wife is being a piece of work about it.
Give her the :alpo: later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:37 pm

They are doing a solid job with appropriate precautions but the wife is being a piece of work about it.
Ha ha!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:37 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 pm Hot water heater went.. luckily under warranty but still :rage:

:dat:
:disappoint:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

More stair case work. Got down to the :woodplow: at the detriment of my first coat of primer, but well worth it. Now I need to catch up on the small pieces that my orbital can't reach.

This is no joke of a project, but time is what I've got. Wife unit helped a lot today, she's 5/7 :impressive:

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

looking good!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:59 pm looking good!
Thanks Breh, it's a lot of work and I can see how a contractor wouldn't be going in on the cheap quoting stair refinishing. Assuming that COVID goes away in the near future and I have a job once this is all over with I'm really glad that I did the work myself.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:59 pm looking good!
Thanks Breh, it's a lot of work and I can see how a contractor wouldn't be going in on the cheap quoting stair refinishing. Assuming that COVID goes away in the near future and I have a job once this is all over with I'm really glad that I did the work myself.
Yep there is just an absolute fuck ton of detail work there and detail work=hours.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Second level got some sanding and primer, I'm going to take the spindles off tomorrow and sand the planks like I did in the basement. It will give me the opportunity to finish sanding/priming the risers near the spindles.

The kids scare me on the stairs without spindles and a railing, so 3/4 of the day through I'm going to put back every second spindle and work on the ones that are sidelined all next week. Sanding and three coats of paint and I'll do a spindle swap at some point.

Last edited by Tar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:15 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Yep there is just an absolute fuck ton of detail work there and detail work=hours.
Hey look at that, hours is exactly what I have an abundance of for the next month. I'm actually really happy/proud of taking on this job, something to look forward to at least.
wap

:neat:
Looking good!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MOAR sanding and priming... took some edibles to numb the boredom, its working 👍

COVID-19 hair style is no hair:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Hand scraped final finish. This is where my :fullretard: kicks in. Most people would just get through this shit, not me, Edited: :stoner: :mock-artisan:

Last edited by Tar on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Painted the mailbox and added some new numbers.

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:30 pm Painted the mailbox and added some new numbers.

That is a fantastic improvement! Also, good work on high contrast on the numbers. I wish more people would do that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:39 pm MOAR sanding and priming... took some edibles to numb the boredom, its working 👍

COVID-19 hair style is no hair:

:impressive:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:05 pm
Melon wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:30 pm Painted the mailbox and added some new numbers.

That is a fantastic improvement! Also, good work on high contrast on the numbers. I wish more people would do that.
The amberlamps, 5-0, and hose humpers will appreciate you if they ever have to find your house.
wap

Nice work, fellers.

And wow, Surf is bald. :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:23 pm Nice work, fellers.

And wow, Surf is bald. :lol:
:neek: is my new 'do, 0FG for the next few weeks at least.

I like seeing new things in the home thread, it reminds me that there is still an economy waiting to burst back to life once we get the waiting game out of the way. Good job lads, 5/7 :pintrest: -ing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Got so much work done today, literally no sanding left to do, but I'm not putting the spindles back just yet. The kids did well to avoid the edge of the stairs, so I feel comfortable enough to leave it off for another day. I'll probably paint the rest of the wood trim tomorrow and start planning the stain. I'm not sure that I know what I'm doing with it and I'm nervous about screwing the project up.

If I can sand the spindles enough for them to grab the primer I'll get painting those too, or have my bride work on that. I might just leave the planks raw for a bit until I can research what to do with them to get the finish we want.

Here we are as of this evening.

wap

:nice:
I strongly suggest you practice staining on some scrap wood of the same wood species as the treads. It's pretty easy to get the hang of it with just a little practice, but you want to make any mistakes on a piece of scrap first. :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:04 pm :nice:
I strongly suggest you practice staining on some scrap wood of the same wood species as the treads. It's pretty easy to get the hang of it with just a little practice, but you want to make any mistakes on a piece of scrap first. :like:
Will do, it's not the same wood but I have raw pine in the garage to play with. I have no clue how they stained the wood we had installed so I'm trying to get that grey wash look by adding grayish white paint to the wood and wiping most of it off. Then I want to add a low shine varnish to coat and seal the whole thing. I even bought the paint, but when I asked my buddy he rolled his eyes but didn't tell me what he was thinking. Maybe they have an all-in-one product. I need to follow up with him to see what he was thinking.