Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

this project is over budget. Impressive time scale :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:08 pm this project is over budget. Impressive time scale :doe:
All in price is like $300 vs $7k outsourced. I'm still under budget :fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:00 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:59 am

I was out. Two bourbons and a beer :doe:
Try one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer next time.
:wub:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:34 am FML. I'm not going to take a picture right now but I can literally count myself back four days with a single err in judgement.

I knocked over the sealer two hours ago from the second last step on the top floor. It hit the landing and continued its decent to the basement. Literally everything got sprayed with the stuff. Walls, raw floors, trim work, everything. Fucking tiles in the basement.

I'm literally going to loose my shit, and then I'm going to sleep. When I wake up I gotta take a deep breath and start all over again minus the top half of the second staircase. Deep breath.
Damn, man. Maybe it won't be so bad when you look at it this morning.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:06 pm Getting better, these two stairs were saved and I scraped most of the shit off of the other two.

I'm going to have to repaint a few walls :doe: , but spindles first. I've been pushing hard to get safe measures in place so I can't lose sight of that.

:disgust: :

More carnage:

My optimism is returning :fuckyeah:
That honestly doesn't look that turrible :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:06 pm Getting better, these two stairs were saved and I scraped most of the shit off of the other two.

I'm going to have to repaint a few walls :doe: , but spindles first. I've been pushing hard to get safe measures in place so I can't lose sight of that.

:disgust: :

More carnage:

My optimism is returning :fuckyeah:
We got lucky, the stairs were all doucd in the polyurethane as were the tiles, but we had about 20 microfiber towels being cycled back and fourth through the sink to lap up the solution and got it off while it was still wet. The fall out is that all the painted trim needs a re-sanding and repainting, and I am scraping the stairs again to get the spray off. Also walls as far as 10 feet away need sanding and repainting, something we didn't factor into this project. :notbad:

I did manage to refinish a bunch of the stairs and have less then a half dozen to be finished, but I will skip those for today most likely and when everything is dry I'll put a few spindles back in place and get the handle back on. Once the safety aspect is satisfied I can slow down and get back to quality over quantity. The finish on the stained portions isn't as nice as it would have been prior to the accident, so I'll see some of my buffoonery everytime I go up the stairs.... as a reminder of this era.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This is a heroic undertaking.

I have a ton of wood trim in the house to strip that I just don't feel like doing. Perhaps I'll get some work done tomorrow...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:24 pm This is a heroic undertaking.

I have a ton of wood trim in the house to strip that I just don't feel like doing. Perhaps I'll get some work done tomorrow...
Based on the law of probability, by attempting to perform a task of such magnitude there is a great chance of me having to go back to work.

Sure enough, I'm being requested to go to a customer site this Friday. My wife is going to kick my ass :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:24 pm This is a heroic undertaking.

Based on the law of probability, by attempting to perform a task of such magnitude there is a great chance of me having to go back to work.

Sure enough, I'm being requested to go to a customer site this Friday. My wife is going to kick my ass :lolol:
:ohdang:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Called family for help today, it had to happen if I was going to get the railing back up, everyone manned up and I got the spindles painted, walls sanded and risers somewhat touched up while I re-scraped and stained the planks. Somehow it happened with a boat load of out of sync processes and unfinished details.... doesn't matter, the staircase is safe to use (at least the treacherous upper portion) and I'm taking a day off tomorrow before I take on my Friday assignment.

Looks pretty rad, :tits: :excited:

:fuckyeah:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:14 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 pm

We got lucky, the stairs were all doucd in the polyurethane as were the tiles, but we had about 20 microfiber towels being cycled back and fourth through the sink to lap up the solution and got it off while it was still wet. The fall out is that all the painted trim needs a re-sanding and repainting, and I am scraping the stairs again to get the spray off. Also walls as far as 10 feet away need sanding and repainting, something we didn't factor into this project. :notbad:

I did manage to refinish a bunch of the stairs and have less then a half dozen to be finished, but I will skip those for today most likely and when everything is dry I'll put a few spindles back in place and get the handle back on. Once the safety aspect is satisfied I can slow down and get back to quality over quantity. The finish on the stained portions isn't as nice as it would have been prior to the accident, so I'll see some of my buffoonery everytime I go up the stairs.... as a reminder of this era.
Sounds like a lot of work, but it could have been worse. It'll look fine when you're done. :like:
wap

That looks fantastic.

But they're called treads :doe: !
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:05 pm That looks fantastic.

Thanks man, I'm really happy with it so far.

Treads! Got it :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My hit list probably something like this, and I'm stretching the work out for three weeks ideally..

1.) Stain basement TREADS!
2.) Paint all scuffed up or messed up risers which is basically all of them
3.) Repaint inner risers on upper and all risers on lower level
4.) Repaint basement post
5.) Sand and stain all hand rails
6.) Sand and paint all basement spindles
7.) Stain two intermediate landings and wooden detail under window
NEW:
7.) Scrape all polyurethane from basement tiles
8.) Paint walls (basement leading up to first floor, basement landing, main floor adjacent to stair case, wall above lower curved portion of staircase leading up to second level.
9.) Repaint any trim work that got sprayed, touch up other trim work banged up by kids with their toys.

Seems like a big list but the things that got done this week are harder to manage because they see actual foot traffic numerous times per day.

Back to having fun sort of.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:05 pm That looks fantastic.

Thanks man, I'm really happy with it so far.

Treads! Got it :like:
:mahman:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:19 pm My hit list probably something like this, and I'm stretching the work out for three weeks ideally..

1.) Stain basement TREADS!
2.) Paint all scuffed up or messed up risers which is basically all of them
3.) Repaint inner risers on upper and all risers on lower level
4.) Repaint basement post
5.) Sand and stain all hand rails
6.) Sand and paint all basement spindles
7.) Stain two intermediate landings and wooden detail under window
NEW:
7.) Scrape all polyurethane from basement tiles
8.) Paint walls (basement leading up to first floor, basement landing, main floor adjacent to stair case, wall above lower curved portion of staircase leading up to second level.
9.) Repaint any trim work that got sprayed, touch up other trim work banged up by kids with their toys.

Seems like a big list but the things that got done this week are harder to manage because they see actual foot traffic numerous times per day.

Back to having fun sort of.
Ambitious!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oh man. Deep Breath. Reassess in the morning.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Morning reassessment is promising, :doge: enjoying the update so far. I must continue, and will probably tackle this upper landing portion next I think.... but not today. I'm stiff and slow moving after that marathon, but very happy with the recovery thanks in part to the extra help from family yesterday.

:doge: soaking it in:

wap

Tarspin wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:34 am Morning reassessment is promising, :doge: enjoying the update so far. I must continue, and will probably tackle this upper landing portion next I think.... but not today. I'm stiff and slow moving after that marathon, but very happy with the recovery thanks in part to the extra help from family yesterday.

:doge: soaking it in:

That looks really good, man. And :doge: - approved! :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yay more staircase work today! :rolleyes:

I am really thankful :doe: , my parents are offering to help again today so I feel a little more relieved about having an extra hand with the kids and to delegate some work.

I'm going to put someone on spindle duty, I have a sanding station setup in the garage and will put together a plan to paint the spindles in the front foyer where it will be warm and dry faster. I got about 40 of the 93 left to finish.

I found wall paint for last week's accident and have already pre-sanded the walls to prep for it, but I will need to stain the stairs going down to the basement so I'll paint the basement wall before starting the floor. My wife is on touch up duty on the upper staircase for any stain that made contact with the risers/stringers and muddled them up last week. Note to self, stain the floors before painting the risers next time.

The basement treads are already prepped for the staining so I really think that things will go from 50% done to 75% done today if people are actually in the mood to work. That's a lot of free manpower! :lol:

The improvement so far is colossal and I think we made the right moves, before and after side by side is :mindblown:

Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Huge change! Looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:53 am Huge change! Looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:dat:
Most :impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thank you both, I'm so stoked about today! Having extra hands took so much pressure off of me. I painted all the messed up walls and just like that touch ups on the trim are done too. I haven't had a chance to see what's going on in the garage but I hear the sander banging out the spindles so I imagine I'll get my parents both painting them while I stain the stairs all the way to the basement. If everything is dry enough the basement will have spindles up today just like the upper level.

The magic lies in the stain, I'm really really fortunate to have found a mix of colors with the polyurethane to almost perfectly match the floors on both levels. If that didn't work out the whole project would be kind of compromised. 5/7 confident that this will go well now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, if anyone is ever staining woodwork, use the acrylic polyurethane, it is stupid easy to work with.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Good work done today. Not as much as I envisioned but there is a lot of give and take as things start to get finalized, touch ups, walls repainted, spindles completed, some assembly of railings, handrails sanded, one landing and three steps stained and put back together.

This week I will finish all the staining, and probably get the spindles mounted to the basement staircase once the last ten treads are done. I think the extra day pulled me back from three weeks to one more week to complete the work. I'm very thankful for the extra support, this would be pretty tough for me to do exclusively, especially with the added bullshit of homeschooling two :crotchfruit:

Anyhoo, super stoked about today's progress and the light at the end of the tunnel. The scope of work is bigger then I estimated but the added help for two days is a solid boost. The stain is perfect, and the more I lay down the closer I can get it to look to the flooring. No ragrets aside from the one night I decided to work past my expiry time. Working until 1am is no bueno for my hand eye coordination. Wife unit still blames my excessive drinking :lolol: