Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Great looking place, it pictures well, GLWS Troy!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:58 am We're live and have a showing scheduled already for this afternoon. Looks like I might not be home much this weekend, maybe I need to check out the public library that I haven't been to in the 4 years we've lived here. :derp:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2016 ... lpage=true
:nice:
Whose Prowler is that?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Also, is that a Metro map shower curtain?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:Also, is that a Metro map shower curtain?
Yep, London.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
wap wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm :nice:
Whose Prowler is that?
The :wap: who owned :mahtroy: 's :haus: before he did.
:dat:

He had the prowler and a C3 vette stored in the garage when we first saw it.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:58 am
wap wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm

:nice:
Whose Prowler is that?
The :wap: who owned :mahtroy: 's :haus: before he did.
:word: :lol:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:59 am
wap wrote:Also, is that a Metro map shower curtain?
Yep, London.
:neat:
I've got a mouse pad Tube map and T shirt, too.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Sent in letter with comments and a soft offer.

:popcorn:

But it's still a lot of money that I dont really want to spend. I just need some land with a great metal building.
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:Sent in letter with comments and a soft offer.

But it's still a lot of money that I dont really want to spend. I just need some land with a great metal building.
:troywax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:44 pm
dubshow wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm Sent in letter with comments and a soft offer.

Y'all need a :haus: on stilts with a boat on the roof.

You verify if it flooded yet? It'll flood again.
yeah it flooded. 8" on main level. 12" on lower additions. Didnt flood in 1983 tho. Was likely built right after that tho, so probably above what they knew the flood plane to be.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

on a long enough time scale maybe, but I seriously doubt it in :dubshow: 's life.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:39 am

on a long enough time scale maybe, but I seriously doubt it in :dubshow: 's life.
This more then a southern knack for Economics 101 is why peppery values stay low in the Bayou.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:59 am

This more then a southern knack for Economics 101 is why peppery values stay low in the Bayou.
eh, its more complicated that that, but keep thinking that you guys are experts in river hydrology.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 am

eh, its more complicated that that, but keep thinking that you guys are experts in river hydrology.
Our own ball of fruit bought a place that should never have flooded, and we all know how that went.

Shit happens. All we can do is to try and prevent it as best we can.
:dat:

everywhere carries non-zero risk to some type of adverse event. But just because it flooded in 16 does not mean it will happen again in the near term; that was a 100 year rain event with a perfect storm of conditions. And if they ever get off their fucking ass and finish the comite river diversion it is even more unlikely to happen again.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 am

Our own ball of fruit bought a place that should never have flooded, and we all know how that went.

Yes, but I can say that most people I know think there's something in the water down there making people crazy. I'm not saying they are right but for those located far away, it seems that every year some place floods again, or another hurricane comes through and blows all the houses down... a month later the rebuilding begins just to restart the cycle.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=Insanity

"The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same fucking thing over and over again, expecting shit to change. That. Is. Crazy."

Now, the places flooding could be hundreds of miles apart from year to year, but that's not how it comes across by the idiots on the "news".
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 am

Yes, but I can say that most people I know think there's something in the water down there making people crazy. I'm not saying they are right but for those located far away, it seems that every year some place floods again, or another hurricane comes through and blows all the houses down... a month later the rebuilding begins just to restart the cycle.

"The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same fucking thing over and over again, expecting shit to change. That. Is. Crazy."

Now, the places flooding could be hundreds of miles apart from year to year, but that's not how it comes across by the idiots on the "news".
Thats the issue. The news, and to some extent the rest of DFD it appears, looks to southern LA as one big marshy wasteland with 3 big cites, and that every flood/hurricane event effects them all equally. it is simply not true.

there are ares that flood over and over and people continue to rebuild, and that is crazy. Some of those places used to be BUILT with flooding in mind.... thats less crazy. But replacing gyp board every 3 years and crying over it is totally crazy.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Louisiana isn’t New Orleans?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 am

Thats the issue. The news, and to some extent the rest of DFD it appears, looks to southern LA as one big marshy wasteland with 3 big cites, and that every flood/hurricane event effects them all equally. it is simply not true.

there are ares that flood over and over and people continue to rebuild, and that is crazy. Some of those places used to be BUILT with flooding in mind.... thats less crazy. But replacing gyp board every 3 years and crying over it is totally crazy.
Well, when you have people that think that Chicago is close to Tennessee...

A few weeks ago I had a guy telling me that Chicago was close to Nashville and the next time I'm in Tennessee I should "run into Chicago for lunch" at some restaurant he was raving about. Uh...~475 miles one way for lunch? No thanks.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

and all of California was on fire. And then all of California was in epic flooding and mudslides.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... 57781.html

Every region has its down side. You get droughts, fires and earthquakes.

The mid continent gets some serious tornadoes.

Hell, even in Austin TX a series of events caused epic flooding of rivers. Thats damn near the desert and has high general elevation.

We get a hurricane once ever 4-5 years in LA. That hurricane does serious damage to actual cities maybe every 20-25 years.

Now days, anywhere near a slight body of water weather it be a lake or river has the increased risk of flash flooding. Development is done very poorly in most the US. And rain water mitigation is the key.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:58 am Louisiana isn’t New Orleans?
yes.

and there are like 5 cities around new orleans that get lumped into "New orleans". Those new areas are affected the most by weather. The old area of new orleans is actually well protected/dry.

We were just fine until they locked the MS into its current route.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:59 am

This, more then a southern knack for Economics 101, is why peppery values stay low in the Bayou.
:lolol:

had a good laugh at that shot.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 am

and all of California was on fire. And then all of California was in epic flooding and mudslides.

Hell, even in Austin TX a series of events caused epic flooding of rivers. Thats damn near the desert and has high general elevation.

We get a hurricane once ever 4-5 years in LA. That hurricane does serious damage to actual cities maybe every 20-25 years.

Now days, anywhere near a slight body of water weather it be a lake or river has the increased risk of flash flooding. Development is done very poorly in most the US. And rain water mitigation is the key.
Yeah, I get it.

But... from the perspective of people over here, everywhere in the south east is a flood zone waiting for the next storm that is due in 10-15 minutes.

People always mention earthquakes, but honestly, how often do they strike and cause damage, and how often in the "same place" ? Not very.

But if you're not here, you probably wouldn't know that... just like anyone not there won't know the real story.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 am

Yeah, I get it.

But... from the perspective of people over here, everywhere in the south east is a flood zone waiting for the next storm that is due in 10-15 minutes.

People always mention earthquakes, but honestly, how often do they strike and cause damage, and how often in the "same place" ? Not very.

But if you're not here, you probably wouldn't know that... just like anyone not there won't know the real story.
And to people over there, I live in the arctic.

People will justify anywhere they live as the best and others the worst. It's human nature. Nobody wants to admit they fucked up in moving somewhere. Nowhere is 100% safe, though the upper midwest is pretty close. No hurricanes, no fires, no earthquakes, minimal tornadoe risk, just get some snow and cold in the winter.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 am

Well, when you have people that think that Chicago is close to Tennessee...

A few weeks ago I had a guy telling me that Chicago was close to Nashville and the next time I'm in Tennessee I should "run into Chicago for lunch" at some restaurant he was raving about. Uh...~475 miles one way for lunch? No thanks.
:wat: :wtf: :lolol: :derp:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:30 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 am

Yeah, I get it.

And to people over there, I live in the arctic.

People will justify anywhere they live as the best and others the worst. It's human nature. Nobody wants to admit they fucked up in moving somewhere. Nowhere is 100% safe, though the upper midwest is pretty close. No hurricanes, no fires, no earthquakes, minimal tornadoe risk, just get some snow and cold in the winter.
Can't disagree, though I think Illinois gets more tornadoes that Meatchicken. And except for those who live near rivers in flood zones, we get relatively little flooding, and certainly rare catastrophic flooding.
Probably :wrong: :doe: