Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

But what really angers me the most is that permits exist for a reason! It's a safety issue!!! But by penalizing people for doing the right thing, or requiring permits for dumb shit, people pull them as a last resort and you end up with some seriously questionable "improvements".
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:28 am
wap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:18 am

Wise plan.
The previous owner told us a story about when he decided to replace the broken concrete walk from the driveway to the front steps with pavers.

He broke up the concrete and disposed of it at the dump (as you're supposed to). Right as he started laying pavers, a police officer came by and asked to see a permit. For the front walk? He asked...but the officer insisted. So he stopped work, went to the city and paid $100 for a permit. Finished the project, called for an inspection, and the inspector literally drove by and looked through the window of the truck to confirm the job was done. "Looks good" the inspector shouted and that was it.

:wat:

Then the county took the opportunity to reassess the property taxes because of the permit for the fucking walk way, which one could argue added maybe $1k in value at most to the house. Assessment went up $20k because that was the market value of the house. He appealed it, and was told to :gtfo: the same way I was with the garage.

I'm so over city :bs:
:wtf:
That's some serious :fullretard: :bs:
Good on you to do your little repair under the cover of darkness. Maybe wait for a full moon. Kidding/notkidding
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:30 am But what really angers me the most is that permits exist for a reason! It's a safety issue!!! But by penalizing people for doing the right thing, or requiring permits for dumb shit, people pull them as a last resort and you end up with some seriously questionable "improvements".
:notwrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:28 am
The previous owner told us a story about when he decided to replace the broken concrete walk from the driveway to the front steps with pavers.

He broke up the concrete and disposed of it at the dump (as you're supposed to). Right as he started laying pavers, a police officer came by and asked to see a permit. For the front walk? He asked...but the officer insisted. So he stopped work, went to the city and paid $100 for a permit. Finished the project, called for an inspection, and the inspector literally drove by and looked through the window of the truck to confirm the job was done. "Looks good" the inspector shouted and that was it.

:wat:

Then the county took the opportunity to reassess the property taxes because of the permit for the fucking walk way, which one could argue added maybe $1k in value at most to the house. Assessment went up $20k because that was the market value of the house. He appealed it, and was told to :gtfo: the same way I was with the garage.

I'm so over city :bs:
Good on you to do your little repair under the cover of darkness. Maybe wait for a full moon. Kidding/notkidding
Actually planning to use a headlight I have for camping, should give me enough light to get the small job done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 am
wap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 am

Actually planning to use a headlight I have for camping, should give me enough light to get the small job done.
I actually meant to say wait for a new moon so it's even darker :lol:

Good luck with your repair. Hope you don't get caught.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 am

Oh, good point! Hopefully I can work fast enough to where even if someone notices, the job will be done and over with before they can do anything about it.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:43 am
wap wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 am

Oh, good point! Hopefully I can work fast enough to where even if someone notices, the job will be done and over with before they can do anything about it.
:word:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That permit :bs: enrages me. Why do governments continue to screw over the working class? Are we all to be a bunch of useless leeches, who will fill the well?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:05 pm That permit :bs: enrages me. Why do governments continue to screw over the working class? Are we all to be a bunch of useless leeches, who will fill the well?
They do it because they can. Once people start moving out and property values dip, .gov might start making changes.

We're very likely going to move with this stuff being a direct input to that decision.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:21 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:05 pm That permit :bs: enrages me. Why do governments continue to screw over the working class? Are we all to be a bunch of useless leeches, who will fill the well?
They do it because they can. Once people start moving out and property values dip, .gov might start making changes.

We're very likely going to move with this stuff being a direct input to that decision.
So dry wells then. The problem is breeders + immigration at least on this side of the border.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You garage/property tax thing is a royal fuckjob. Ostensibly one of the benefits of flyover country is nice housing at a good price. I was looking at property in CO. Tax rate? .55% It has things like the Rocky Mountains. Yet there you are in Detroit Rock City getting hammered like you live in Monaco. Not cool.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:47 pm

So dry wells then. The problem is breeders + immigration at least on this side of the border.
So you are part of the problem.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Breeders are the thing in our local area. Not so much immigration, but everyone wants to be in our area, especially if they have kids. It's the "city" but with big houses and lots and somewhat decent schools. Also people who buy here tend to be a bit more :waxer: so they DGAF about the high cost of taxes, permits, etc.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Two boys growing up in a middle class upbringing with a high probably of support purchasing their first homes, without a doubt contributing to the problem sadly.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:51 pm

You garage/property tax thing is a royal fuckjob. Ostensibly one of the benefits of flyover country is nice housing at a good price. I was looking at property in CO. Tax rate? .55% It has things like the Rocky Mountains. Yet there you are in Detroit Rock City getting hammered like you live in Monaco. Not cool.
Yea...we're really struggling with it. Basically paying $12k tax for a house valued at $525k...so ~2.2% tax rate? And without kids using schools (which aren't even that great here), most of our $12k money is just being lit on fire for us. Makes absolutely zero sense, and I can't for the life of me understand why people want to live in our area so bad. Another reason why we're thinking a cut and run scenario makes a lot of sense right now. Get while the getting's good.

In contrast, a $525k valued house in the area of northern MI we're considering would pay half...just under $6k. We're considering a house with a purchase price of $320k, which should be taxes in the $4k-$4.5k range. A THIRD of what we'll pay next year here.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:51 pm You garage/property tax thing is a royal fuckjob. Ostensibly one of the benefits of flyover country is nice housing at a good price. I was looking at property in CO. Tax rate? .55% It has things like the Rocky Mountains. Yet there you are in Detroit Rock City getting hammered like you live in Monaco. Not cool.
Yea...we're really struggling with it. Basically paying $12k tax for a house valued at $525k...so ~2.2% tax rate? And without kids using schools (which aren't even that great here), most of our $12k money is just being lit on fire for us. Makes absolutely zero sense, and I can't for the life of me understand why people want to live in our area so bad. Another reason why we're thinking a cut and run scenario makes a lot of sense right now. Get while the getting's good.

In contrast, a $525k valued house in the area of northern MI we're considering would pay half...just under $6k. We're considering a house with a purchase price of $320k, which should be taxes in the $4k-$4.5k range. A THIRD of what we'll pay next year here.
You'd be at $25k/yr here. :thisisfine:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea...we're really struggling with it. Basically paying $12k tax for a house valued at $525k...so ~2.2% tax rate? And without kids using schools (which aren't even that great here), most of our $12k money is just being lit on fire for us. Makes absolutely zero sense, and I can't for the life of me understand why people want to live in our area so bad. Another reason why we're thinking a cut and run scenario makes a lot of sense right now. Get while the getting's good.

Yea, I can't believe how crazy it is out there. At least Metro Detroit is a major metro area with a lot of stuff. Corning is... :wat:

Out of curiosity, what's the sales tax and income tax rates? None? Minimal?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:51 pm

There are certain thresholds I will not cross. A car payment that starts with a 7 or higher. Another would be 1K/month in property taxes. I mean, I understand that the government has to be funded and they "will get you some way." In CA it is income tax. I guess that's how you have to look at it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea...we're really struggling with it. Basically paying $12k tax for a house valued at $525k...so ~2.2% tax rate? And without kids using schools (which aren't even that great here), most of our $12k money is just being lit on fire for us. Makes absolutely zero sense, and I can't for the life of me understand why people want to live in our area so bad. Another reason why we're thinking a cut and run scenario makes a lot of sense right now. Get while the getting's good.

Yeah fuck that.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 pm

There are certain thresholds I will not cross. A car payment that starts with a 7 or higher. Another would be 1K/month in property taxes. I mean, I understand that the government has to be funded and they "will get you some way." In CA it is income tax. I guess that's how you have to look at it.
Still have a 6% sales tax and 4.25% income tax on top of that property tax. It's excessive IMO.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:53 pm

:ohslap:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:08 pm You'd be at $25k/yr here. :thisisfine:
Yea, I can't believe how crazy it is out there. At least Metro Detroit is a major metro area with a lot of stuff. Corning is... :wat:

High and higher. Income is ~6% and sales is 8%.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea, I can't believe how crazy it is out there. At least Metro Detroit is a major metro area with a lot of stuff. Corning is... :wat:

High and higher. Income is ~6% and sales is 8%.
:mindblown: :nope:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Do you guys know some reliable places to kind of put some quotes out for a refinance? Intarwebz has lots of places but I'm not really sure what's sketchy.
Thelast time I asked the guy that did a lot of my paperwork on whether or not it would be a good time to refinance (A few years ago), he said unless it's a full percentage point of difference it's not really worth it. Right now seems like a good time to look into it again.

Also, would you have to up front any of the costs for this or can it be rolled into it?
My credit score is also 800+, so I'm assuming I shouldn't have any problems getting approved. Currently at 4.25%, which was decent at the time I bought as we waited for a couple of months to see how low it would get but it didn't really budge much so I went ahead and locked it in.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 am Do you guys know some reliable places to kind of put some quotes out for a refinance? Intarwebz has lots of places but I'm not really sure what's sketchy.
Thelast time I asked the guy that did a lot of my paperwork on whether or not it would be a good time to refinance (A few years ago), he said unless it's a full percentage point of difference it's not really worth it. Right now seems like a good time to look into it again.

Also, would you have to up front any of the costs for this or can it be rolled into it?
My credit score is also 800+, so I'm assuming I shouldn't have any problems getting approved. Currently at 4.25%, which was decent at the time I bought as we waited for a couple of months to see how low it would get but it didn't really budge much so I went ahead and locked it in.
You can usually roll most of the refi costs into the note. If you need an appraisal that would be a few hundo out of pocket, credit report fee would be a few bucks out of pocket too.