Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

NeonJonny wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:19 pm Image

Boom. Just need a longer vent pipe but it’s basically done.
I take it you aren’t in California. They have to be strapped to the wall here.
No earthquakes in Philly. Also there are no rules in general lol.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:45 pm

In other words.....

:trollface:
Johnny_P

Electric ignition. So much better than the janky old way lighting a match and holding it with pliers to hopefully light the pilot that’s spewing gas into the area you’re shoving your hand.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:17 pm Electric ignition. So much better than the janky old way lighting a match and holding it with pliers to hopefully light the pilot that’s spewing gas into the area you’re shoving your hand.
When I was a kid that's the way we lit our oven.
Thermocouples FTW
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:17 pm Electric ignition. So much better than the janky old way lighting a match and holding it with pliers to hopefully light the pilot that’s spewing gas into the area you’re shoving your hand.
lmao you didn't have those long matches? I'm 31.... but I remember my dad saying, (oh and he was from houston, TX btw) Hey I'mma fire up that heater. Want to hold the match?"
The matches were about a foot long in length.
Johnny_P

NeonJonny wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:31 am
lmao you didn't have those long matches? I'm 31.... but I remember my dad saying, (oh and he was from houston, TX btw) Hey I'mma fire up that heater. Want to hold the match?"
The matches were about a foot long in length.
I light a pilot like that maybe once every 2 years. I don't need to buy dedicated matches for that. Just a regular free bar match book and some needle nose pliers works.

:scrooge:

So janky.
Johnny_P

Irish wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:01 pm

In other words.....

So much shit down here. Here is a small list of some of the crap my friends and I have come across with home construction.

-Knob and tube jumpered underneath a tub with stranded wire electrical taped to the knob and tube. Literally the way k&t houses burn down.
-A stack of bricks, not even mortared, behind a wall, holding up a floor joist.
-A door leading to the neighboring rowhome walled over. Like, we demo'd the wall and found a fucking door, lol. Opened it up and saw drywall. :yikes:
-My dryer vent goes through the basement window NFG. Removed the glass, replaced with plexiglass, cut a hole and ran the duct.
-2 natural draft and 1 forced draft natural gas equipment exhaust tied to the same chimney :yikes:
-Pretty sure the ceiling fan in my bedroom crosses two electrical circuits, I flipped the breaker which killed the fan, started to remove the fan, and got shocked, haha.
-Found a full well in a basement. Like, a stone pit with seemingly no bottom and a bucket on a rope. This was in a house that was listed for IIRC $450k and needed to be fully torn down.

Plus a bunch of other stuff I saw while looking at homes. It's insanity.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 am
Irish wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:01 pm

In other words.....

So much shit down here. Here is a small list of some of the crap my friends and I have come across with home construction.

-Knob and tube jumpered underneath a tub with stranded wire electrical taped to the knob and tube. Literally the way k&t houses burn down.
-A door leading to the neighboring rowhome walled over. Like, we demo'd the wall and found a fucking door, lol. Opened it up and saw drywall. :yikes:
-My dryer vent goes through the basement window NFG. Removed the glass, replaced with plexiglass, cut a hole and ran the duct.
-2 natural draft and 1 forced draft natural gas equipment exhaust tied to the same chimney :yikes:
-Pretty sure the ceiling fan in my bedroom crosses two electrical circuits, I flipped the breaker which killed the fan, started to remove the fan, and got shocked, haha.
-Found a full well in a basement. Like, a stone pit with seemingly no bottom and a bucket on a rope. This was in a house that was listed for IIRC $450k and needed to be fully torn down.

This is super common here. I think every house I ever lived in had a dryer vent that was configured this way, including my current one. Sometimes the glass pane is replaced by plexiglass, and sometimes it's a piece of galvanized steel or aluminum, like my house.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I like that the pressure safety valve will just flood your basement. :impressive:
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm

I like that the pressure safety valve will just flood your basement. :impressive:
My fav. The home heating psv is routed the same way. NFG. Drain is in the front of the house.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:26 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm

My fav. The home heating psv is routed the same way. NFG. Drain is in the front of the house.
PSV.

you know how i know that you work in da plant?
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:26 pm

PSV.

you know how i know that you work in da plant?
How dat is?
Irish

wap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 am

This is super common here. I think every house I ever lived in had a dryer vent that was configured this way, including my current one. Sometimes the glass pane is replaced by plexiglass, and sometimes it's a piece of galvanized steel or aluminum, like my house.
In my current house the builder ran the dryer vent from the front of the house to the back...... it takes two full spins to dry anything and relocating it is going to be very very difficult because of the floor joists.
Johnny_P

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:39 pm

In my current house the builder ran the dryer vent from the front of the house to the back...... it takes two full spins to dry anything and relocating it is going to be very very difficult because of the floor joists.
Relocate the dryer. My washing machine is in the middle of the basement dryer is on the back wall.
Irish

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Relocate the dryer. My washing machine is in the middle of the basement dryer is on the back wall.
I've considered it.......but Wife unit will be :rolleyes: :sass: :triggered: but I guess I will just take over laundry duties ..... :baby:
wap

Dat's no bueno. Can you move the dryer, maybe near a window to vent through it as mentioned above?
Johnny_P

Lots of :notsure: on my housing sitch at the moment. Her parents want us to buy the house from them at market value. Which doesn't make sense to either of us. So we might be house shopping.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm Lots of :notsure: on my housing sitch at the moment. Her parents want us to buy the house from them at market value. Which doesn't make sense to either of us. So we might be van shopping.
:fuckyeah: In4deets
Irish

wap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 pm

Dat's no bueno. Can you move the dryer, maybe near a window to vent through it as mentioned above?
:yesth: I'm not looking forward to the werk but I have determined that I can relocate it through the side of the :haus:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm Lots of :notsure: on my housing sitch at the moment. Her parents want us to buy the house from them at market value. Which doesn't make sense to either of us. So we might be van shopping.
I mean, would I buy my house for $325k? lolno. I can't sit straight on the toilet, and no AC at 1/3 of a milli is insanity.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 pm

I mean, would I buy my house for $325k? lolno. I can't sit straight on the toilet, and no AC at 1/3 of a milli is insanity.
Yeah, that's a big ol' :nope:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm Lots of :notsure: on my housing sitch at the moment. Her parents want us to buy the house from them at market value. Which doesn't make sense to either of us. So we might be house shopping.
oh really....
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

also not giving you credit for at least the rent you have been paying is also insanity. at the very least.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 pm

also not giving you credit for at least the rent you have been paying is also insanity. at the very least.
I am confuse on the situation. Need to talk to her dad about the arrangement.
Right now, I pay her rent, she pays her dad a "mortgage" of which some part is "interest".
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 pm

I am confuse on the situation. Need to talk to her dad about the arrangement.
Right now, I pay her rent, she pays her dad a "mortgage" of which some part is "interest".
Yeah they should be taking some of that off the sale price as a "lease to own" type deal... Especially with the short comings that that place seems to have...