Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:48 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:45 am Nest owners/users: do you have trouble with the auto-schedule feature?

I’ve disabled mine, because it kept cranking the AC temp way down at night, and even with it turned off, it’s still doing it. When I look at the history for any of the nights in the last week, around 2AM it drops down to 72° and says “auto-schedule”. Then when I check my settings, auto-schedule is turned off. Anyone experience this and know how to fix it? 72° is more cold than I need it and I don’t want to pay for energy usage that I’m not actually wanting...
Haven't had that happen to me and I'm an early adopter for Nest thermostats.

Did you wipe the entire schedule? Remember it scrolls to the right too.
I’ll try that, didn’t know it was a thing. I thought switching auto-schedule to off would just completely turn it off so it doesn’t override what I manually set the temp at.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:34 am Another showing canceled because the seller's accepted an offer before we could get in. :rage: :ayfkm:
This was our experience in the Greater Toronto market in 2011. We bought a place that has gone up 157% which is typical/low side of the market. You guys will probably see a lot of growth, plus rates just dropped so your agent should be moving quicker then that for you.
SAWCE

Found what you’re talking about. Didn’t realize that was in there. Is there a way to turn that schedule off so it’s completely manual inputs?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:56 am
coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:34 am Another showing canceled because the seller's accepted an offer before we could get in. :rage: :ayfkm:
This was our experience in the Greater Toronto market in 2011. We bought a place that has gone up 157% which is typical/low side of the market. You guys will probably see a lot of growth, plus rates just dropped so your agent should be moving quicker then that for you.
Honestly she's been pretty disappointing this time around. We worked with her 9 years ago when we bought our current house, but it feels like her business has grown and she just doesn't have as much time for us now. Every single house we've seen has been one we've specifically asked to see. Basically all she did was set up a mibor search and leave the rest to us. Easiest fucking job in the world if that's all it takes to be a realtor now.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:59 am Found what you’re talking about. Didn’t realize that was in there. Is there a way to turn that schedule off so it’s completely manual inputs?
Delete all the entry points.

I think that's the only way.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:17 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:56 am

Honestly she's been pretty disappointing this time around. We worked with her 9 years ago when we bought our current house, but it feels like her business has grown and she just doesn't have as much time for us now. Every single house we've seen has been one we've specifically asked to see. Basically all she did was set up a mibor search and leave the rest to us. Easiest fucking job in the world if that's all it takes to be a realtor now.
Contract or no?

Remind her that she needs to check new listings as soon as they come up and inform you of EVERY SINGLE ONE within hours of being listed, not days.

Either threaten to fire her or to boycott future business if one more preferred listing slips by you guys because she is too busy or whatever. No excuses with these guys, a good agent is worth the expense, but a bad one shouldn't even be employed.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am Contract or no?

Remind her that she needs to check new listings as soon as they come up and inform you of EVERY SINGLE ONE within hours of being listed, not days.

Either threaten to fire her or to boycott future business if one more preferred listing slips by you guys because she is too busy or whatever. No excuses with these guys, a good agent is worth the expense, but a bad one shouldn't even be employed.
No contract. Our house isn't listed because we're worried ours would sell in 5 seconds and we'd be left out on our asses without somewhere to live.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:47 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am Contract or no?

No contract. Our house isn't listed because we're worried ours would sell in 5 seconds and we'd be left out on our asses without somewhere to live.
She better step up her game, I'd consider an agent that works for a large firm in the area, they usually have their act together and have many good contacts in finance/home inspections/etc.

You guys should be jelling through this process, agent emailing and calling daily with new finds, pricing your house, and already drumming up future buyers for a multi bidder offer. If this doesn't sound like your gal then um...
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:24 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:59 am Found what you’re talking about. Didn’t realize that was in there. Is there a way to turn that schedule off so it’s completely manual inputs?
Delete all the entry points.

I think that's the only way.
Thanks!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Our agent signed us onto an e-mail system that sends us an e-mail AS SOON as something lists. It got us in to some stuff...but they real key is an agent who's active.

We got our house because she told us it was listing before it did. She's well connected and mentioned what we were looking for to a few realtors so they let her know when things were coming up. We walked by it to check it out from the outside, and when we liked it, she had a showing scheduled for us to get in ON THE DAY it listed. We put in an offer that night and it was accepted.

No way would we have gotten our house if she hadn't done that. If you're serious about moving, get serious about finding a realtor that'll work hard for you. They get a lot of money, they should work for that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

^Detroit that sounds like a good agent... gotta be in the know with a large network and actually want to work hard for you like yours did.

Coogles your gal is not doing you any favors and you'll stay behind the curve unless that agent steps up her game.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:20 pm ^Detroit that sounds like a good agent... gotta be in the know with a large network and actually want to work hard for you like yours did.

Coogles your gal is not doing you any favors and you'll stay behind the curve unless that agent steps up her game.
Agree. I let her know I was pretty disappointed we missed out on this particular :haus:.

I'll try to keep it brief, but the story goes like this -

Wife has a positive pregnancy test and we start more seriously shopping for a bigger place; budget is ~$500k. We find one listed for $495k, make an offer for $480k, they counter the next day at $487.5k. We wanted to end up at $485k, so we were pretty much there. But then some little voice in the back of my told me we needed to wait until the following day for the results of the 8 week ultrasound and, whadda ya know, it's twins!! :ayfkm: So with another $1k/mo in daycare costs on top of everything else that comes with a second infant, our budget dropped by legit $100k and we walked away. Given we can't afford the kind of place we want in our current neighborhood now, I expanded my search area a little bit and found this place:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 50?view=qv

It was long since pending by the time we received the twins news, but it got me thinking we could find a shorter term place that's cheaper but still really nice, then buy our "forever home" in our neighborhood once we're not staring down $3k/mo in daycare costs in 6 years when the twins are heading off to kindergarten. We'd have to pay for private school for our son for a couple years, but meh. Doing that would get us the space we'd need without having to spend more than we're comfortable with right now. I ask our realtor to let the sellers know we're interested if the buyer falls through and told her that this house is exactly what we're looking for now.

Fast forward a week and this house pops up:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 72?view=qv

She never updated our search and I find it on the Realtor.com app instead, but they received an offer the same night (yesterday) and canceled our showing today. Here's the kicker...it's RIGHT next door. If she was on her shit we'd have known about this place, or at the very least had it pop up in our search. Anyway, I let her know we can't have another place like this slip through given our timeline. Didn't come out and say we'll find someone else, but if she can't read the tea leaves that's her own damn fault.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:29 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:20 pm ^Detroit that sounds like a good agent... gotta be in the know with a large network and actually want to work hard for you like yours did.

Agree. I let her know I was pretty disappointed we missed out on this particular :haus:.

Wife has a positive pregnancy test and we start more seriously shopping for a bigger place; budget is ~$500k. We find one listed for $495k, make an offer for $480k, they counter the next day at $487.5k. We wanted to end up at $485k, so we were pretty much there. But then some little voice in the back of my told me we needed to wait until the following day for the results of the 8 week ultrasound and, whadda ya know, it's twins!! :ayfkm: So with another $1k/mo in daycare costs on top of everything else that comes with a second infant, our budget dropped by legit $100k and we walked away. Given we can't afford the kind of place we want in our current neighborhood now, I expanded my search area a little bit and found this place:

It was long since pending by the time we received the twins news, but it got me thinking we could find a shorter term place that's cheaper but still really nice, then buy our "forever home" in our neighborhood once we're not staring down $3k/mo in daycare costs in 6 years when the twins are heading off to kindergarten. We'd have to pay for private school for our son for a couple years, but meh. Doing that would get us the space we'd need without having to spend more than we're comfortable with right now. I ask our realtor to let the sellers know we're interested if the buyer falls through and told her that this house is exactly what we're looking for now.

She never updated our search and I find it on the Realtor.com app instead, but they received an offer the same night (yesterday) and canceled our showing today. Here's the kicker...it's RIGHT next door. If she was on her shit we'd have known about this place, or at the very least had it pop up in our search. Anyway, I let her know we can't have another place like this slip through given our timeline. Didn't come out and say we'll find someone else, but if she can't read the tea leaves that's her own damn fault.
Wow the sellers were probably wondering what happened?! haha! Twins happened, goodbye 100k!

The second house is beautiful, 5/7 would offer against it too. Such a shame to lose it to laziness. :disappoint:

I'm always amazed at how most of the US and rural Canada real estate varies from the large cities like NY, Toronto, Vancouver, SF etc. If we could live someplace further out we would be lined up for early ass retirement from real estate appreciation alone. Taxes, cost of living, all lower... :jelly:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And that lot! Bonkers bro.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:52 pm And that lot! Bonkers bro.
SUPER nice. I’m sure it’s all but impossible to get that anywhere near Toronto, but we also only have about 1/3 of the population.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:16 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:52 pm And that lot! Bonkers bro.
SUPER nice. I’m sure it’s all but impossible to get that anywhere near Toronto, but we also only have about 1/3 of the population.
That house on that lot anywhere near Toronto would be 1.7M or more. 😥
ChrisoftheNorth

Man...I'd be super cautious about a temp home...the market will not stay where it is for 6 years.

I'd figure out a way to make your current :haus: work while keeping an eye out for your forever home when the market dips.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:50 pm Man...I'd be super cautious about a temp home...the market will not stay where it is for 6 years.

I'd figure out a way to make your current :haus: work while keeping an eye out for your forever home when the market dips.
I hear ya, but whether we're in our house or another one, a market dip is a market dip. All we're out by moving is realtor fees, and our place is going to need some investment in the next few years. HVAC for sure, garage slab or complete replacement. Possibly a roof. If a shorter-term house has newer mechanicals and a newer roof that could wash out easily.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:50 pm Man...I'd be super cautious about a temp home...the market will not stay where it is for 6 years.

:dat:

I'm planning on staying where we're at for a long while unless I move up to the grandparents' property.
Yea, we're in it for the long haul at our place as well. I'm expecting major :flaccid: in home values in the next 5 or so years. Last thing I'd want is to be stuck in a place I don't really want to be in.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 pm

I hear ya, but whether we're in our house or another one, a market dip is a market dip. All we're out by moving is realtor fees, and our place is going to need some investment in the next few years. HVAC for sure, garage slab or complete replacement. Possibly a roof. If a shorter-term house has newer mechanicals and a newer roof that could wash out easily.
Realtor fees light 6% of your house value on fire. That's a lot. Then you have to factor in mortgage closing costs that's easily $5k-10k+...also lit on fire. HVAC is $5-10k (mortgage closing costs)...garage sucks :doe: but most people don't care about the garage (minimal impact on value)...so the "need" to repair or rebuild at a house you're going to move from anyway is minimal. It won't fall down, trust me.

But more importantly...the most critical aspect of real estate is location. It sounds like you guys are in a desirable area right now with strong house values. That's HUGE. In the dip, your house value might go down 10%. But if you move to an area with cheaper houses that's viewed as less desirable, you could be facing a drop of 20%+. That could be the difference of moving to your dream house, or being stuck in a place you don't want to be in.

I did that analysis before buying our house. I looked at comparable house sales in 06, then in 09. The difference was maybe 10%...it was shockingly minimal. Other areas saw 50%+ drops in value. That's a worst case scenario, but still.

You do you, just saying that there's a lot of things to consider in a "temp" house right now. If this were 5 years ago, I'd say a temp house is a fine idea. The market has been at peak for a few years now...and certainly won't stay there forever.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also don't downplay the cost of moving. Movers, moving stuff, and buying new furniture. Easily another $5k.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:29 pm

Not helpful salt in the wound but that open floorplan kitchen living room is amazeballs.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:21 pm Realtor fees light 6% of your house value on fire. That's a lot. Then you have to factor in mortgage closing costs that's easily $5k-10k+...also lit on fire. HVAC is $5-10k (mortgage closing costs)...garage sucks :doe: but most people don't care about the garage (minimal impact on value)...so the "need" to repair or rebuild at a house you're going to move from anyway is minimal. It won't fall down, trust me.

But more importantly...the most critical aspect of real estate is location. It sounds like you guys are in a desirable area right now with strong house values. That's HUGE. In the dip, your house value might go down 10%. But if you move to an area with cheaper houses that's viewed as less desirable, you could be facing a drop of 20%+. That could be the difference of moving to your dream house, or being stuck in a place you don't want to be in.

I did that analysis before buying our house. I looked at comparable house sales in 06, then in 09. The difference was maybe 10%...it was shockingly minimal. Other areas saw 50%+ drops in value. That's a worst case scenario, but still.

You do you, just saying that there's a lot of things to consider in a "temp" house right now. If this were 5 years ago, I'd say a temp house is a fine idea. The market has been at peak for a few years now...and certainly won't stay there forever.
You're :notwrong:. I'd argue about a few things, but generally yes, we'll be less able to afford our "dream" home 6 years from now if we move than if we stay put. But there's a lot of value over those 6 years in actually having enough space for all of us and being able to host family when they visit too. And the truth is, once the kids are all in school we'd be able to afford it either way if our careers do what we think they will.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:21 pm Realtor fees light 6% of your house value on fire. That's a lot. Then you have to factor in mortgage closing costs that's easily $5k-10k+...also lit on fire. HVAC is $5-10k (mortgage closing costs)...garage sucks :doe: but most people don't care about the garage (minimal impact on value)...so the "need" to repair or rebuild at a house you're going to move from anyway is minimal. It won't fall down, trust me.

You're :notwrong:. I'd argue about a few things, but generally yes, we'll be less able to afford our "dream" home 6 years from now if we move than if we stay put. But there's a lot of value over those 6 years in actually having enough space for all of us and being able to host family when they visit too. And the truth is, once the kids are all in school we'd be able to afford it either way if our careers do what we think they will.
Right on. Find a realtor worth a damned and get to house hunting.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sold firm just now!! Woot woot!!