Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 pm It’s been exceedingly stressful

The deck is 2 years old and was a selling point of the house. It looked great when we moved in. Now boards are actually rotting and many have warped. It looks like total shit.

Every “upgrade” the prior owners did caused major damage to the home.
:(
Any way to temporarily separate the deck from the house, repair the wall as necessary, then reattach the deck properly and replace the warped/rotting boards, so you don't have to demo the whole thing and rebuild it from scratch? Or is that just too much work and not worth it...?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

The deck is 2 years old and was a selling point of the house. It looked great when we moved in. Now boards are actually rotting and many have warped. It looks like total shit.

This is the case with almost every house I think.

My last house I was in for nearly 9 years. Took a long time to fix a lot of things, but it was in a pretty habitable state by the time I left. The original construction was really cheap, but I fixed a lot of the main problems. I feel like I just started over again. And now, this house is so much bigger, every project is much more expensive and takes longer to do. The previous owners were too broke to be home owners. They neglected everything, and now I'm paying the price.

A little over a week ago, right before going on vacation, found a puddle in the basement. Wiped it up, didn't have time to mess with it. It was coming from the air handler. I thought the humidifier was leaking. Just put a fan on high to keep it dry while we were gone.

I went to dig into the humidifier...it was fine. Turns out the AC condensation PVC piping was clogged. It's like a maze, running from the coils to the drain in the floor. I opened it up and just endless water/sediment/rust poured out. Ended up hooking the shop vac to it and pulled out over a gallon probably. Cut out big portion of the PVC and rebuilt it all.

Glad that's over. Onto the next 50 projects waiting to be done.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:21 pm

:(
Any way to temporarily separate the deck from the house, repair the wall as necessary, then reattach the deck properly and replace the warped/rotting boards, so you don't have to demo the whole thing and rebuild it from scratch? Or is that just too much work and not worth it...?
It needs to be rebuilt with appropriate wood, or engineered wood, and gapped construction to allow air flow to dry stuff out underneath it. Tongue and groove decks are moronic at best.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

MrH42 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:38 pm

This is the case with almost every house I think.

My last house I was in for nearly 9 years. Took a long time to fix a lot of things, but it was in a pretty habitable state by the time I left. The original construction was really cheap, but I fixed a lot of the main problems. I feel like I just started over again. And now, this house is so much bigger, every project is much more expensive and takes longer to do. The previous owners were too broke to be home owners. They neglected everything, and now I'm paying the price.

A little over a week ago, right before going on vacation, found a puddle in the basement. Wiped it up, didn't have time to mess with it. It was coming from the air handler. I thought the humidifier was leaking. Just put a fan on high to keep it dry while we were gone.

I went to dig into the humidifier...it was fine. Turns out the AC condensation PVC piping was clogged. It's like a maze, running from the coils to the drain in the floor. I opened it up and just endless water/sediment/rust poured out. Ended up hooking the shop vac to it and pulled out over a gallon probably. Cut out big portion of the PVC and rebuilt it all.

Glad that's over. Onto the next 50 projects waiting to be done.
HVAC condensate can be pretty nasty stuff and I’ve seen pipes basically melted from it. Fortunately PVC is pretty easy to work with but either way that’s an annoying project.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

I'm five months into 2024 after dropping $100K in the last two years on a new roof, new HVAC, new Pool Equipment and Tile and solar and so far no capital outlays. Wish me luck.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:19 pm I'm five months into 2024 after dropping $100K in the last two years on a new roof, new HVAC, new Pool Equipment and Tile and solar and so far no capital outlays. Wish me luck.

:wat:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:19 pm I'm five months into 2024 after dropping $100K in the last two years on a new roof, new HVAC, new Pool Equipment and Tile and solar and so far no capital outlays. Wish me luck.

Desertbreh

MrH42 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:04 pm

When it rained it poured.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:16 pm
How are you doing this without laying out any money?
Desertbreh

MrH42 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:16 pm
In 2022-2023 I outlayed $100K on the major shit listed above. So far this year, no major expenses.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:20 pm
MrH42 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm

In 2022-2023 I outlayed $100K on the major shit listed above. So far this year, no major expenses.
I am the dumb and can't read.
Desertbreh

MrH42 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:20 pm

I am the dumb and can't read.
:like: It happens to the best of us.