Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Calvinball wrote:So, first things first, before getting into the inspection.

Here's a pano of the gayrage:

Sent from the beer depository
Sick WRX

Lots of room in there brah!
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote:So the good: pretty much everything is newer. Roof, furnace, water heater, electrical, windows, all updated and done so recently. The electric was probably the oldest update, more on that later. Other stuff looks to all be 3-7 years old.The house has a full house fan, which according to @[user not found] and our inspector is the tits, and explains no a/c. They also put a little duct with a small electrical fan from the den with the fireplace to the second floor. Nifty.

There's some minor stuff. All the toilets need to wax rings. A couple of the steps to the second floor need to be repaired, unfortunately from underneath meaning going through the ceiling in the basement.

The minor to moderate stuff: A whole bunch of outlets have reverse polarity. He suspected that happened when it was upgraded from 2 prong to 3 prong. There's 200 amp electrical, but the breaker box was upgraded from 100. There might be an issue with crowded slim circuits. He thinks it's probably fine but would like an electrician to eyeball it. There's two outdoor outlets, one isn't grounded and the other had no power.

The biggies: The firewall in the gayrage isn't complete in the loft area. Technically against code cause it backs up to living space (the den). The real sticker is the radon test though. Limit is 4, it came back 4.2.
Lots of houses in our area have high radon readings. Can be addressed with airflow and sealing as [user not found] said.

House fan is tits man. You'll like it. Dafuq on the electric though, seems like a home DIY gone wrong.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

wap wrote:NBD, in other words.
Yeah that one I'm not worried about.

:therapist:
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
Thank you for the informative answer, unlike our Domestic Airboater
Vent fan:

Vent stack:

Sealing at sump pump:

Fixed foundation cracks:

No big deal.

Sent from :[user not found]: and :alpo:
Yep. No cracks to fix, so they'd just drill a few holes, put pipes in said holes, then pipe from that to a new exterior hole that leads to the fan/piping up the side of the house like [user not found] posted.

Our realtor said it's a 900-1500 job. Wife and I agree it must be done and we aren't paying for it.

Calvinball

Johnny_P wrote:
Calvinball wrote:So, first things first, before getting into the inspection.

Here's a pano of the gayrage:

Sick WRX

Lots of room in there brah!
Yeah it's damn near big enough for three cars.

Calvinball

Johnny_P wrote:
Calvinball wrote:So the good: pretty much everything is newer. Roof, furnace, water heater, electrical, windows, all updated and done so recently. The electric was probably the oldest update, more on that later. Other stuff looks to all be 3-7 years old.The house has a full house fan, which according to @[user not found] and our inspector is the tits, and explains no a/c. They also put a little duct with a small electrical fan from the den with the fireplace to the second floor. Nifty.

There's some minor stuff. All the toilets need to wax rings. A couple of the steps to the second floor need to be repaired, unfortunately from underneath meaning going through the ceiling in the basement.

The minor to moderate stuff: A whole bunch of outlets have reverse polarity. He suspected that happened when it was upgraded from 2 prong to 3 prong. There's 200 amp electrical, but the breaker box was upgraded from 100. There might be an issue with crowded slim circuits. He thinks it's probably fine but would like an electrician to eyeball it. There's two outdoor outlets, one isn't grounded and the other had no power.

The biggies: The firewall in the gayrage isn't complete in the loft area. Technically against code cause it backs up to living space (the den). The real sticker is the radon test though. Limit is 4, it came back 4.2.
Lots of houses in our area have high radon readings. Can be addressed with airflow and sealing as [user not found] said.

House fan is tits man. You'll like it. Dafuq on the electric though, seems like a home DIY gone wrong.
Yeah that one is weird. So simple. Inspector said it's no big deal with older electronics, but with modern tvs and such it's an issue.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Can get a polarity tester for cheap at HF, and rewire the outlets yourself if it bothered you enough.

Radon is scary, definitely want to figure out a remediation plan on that one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

https://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclide-basics-radon

Radon is a gas and an alpha emitter, alphas are super damaging but shielded against easily, if solid.
The United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) issued a report in December 2012 that concluded radiation is less dangerous than we have been treating it all along
UNSCEAR “does not recommend multiplying low doses by large numbers of individuals to estimate numbers of radiation-induced health effects within a population exposed to incremental doses at levels equivalent to or below natural background levels.”
Put another way, risk does not become statically significant until above levels of 10 REM. Between levels of 10 and 100 REM large populations are needed to measure the effects of the dose
For equivalent dose, the unit corresponding to rads is the rem (roentgen equivalent man). If the absorbed dose is in grays then the unit for dose equivalent is sievert (Sv). Thus, 1 Sv = 100 rem. Roughly 1 rem is the average dose received in three years of exposure to natural radiation.
http://www.wise-uranium.org/rdcrn.html

So, lifetime dose (70 years) of about 1 Severt ( a huge amount) and 100 REM at the level they measured in your house.

Whilst science thinks radiation based on the LNT model and lifetime dose accumulation is flawed.... those are serious numbers. I'd be sure to get it fixed / mediated especially with a small child in the home.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

Detroit wrote:Can get a polarity tester for cheap at HF, and rewire the outlets yourself if it bothered you enough.

Yeah there are some things I won't push on, like the wiring and toilet seals, but the radon is a dealbuster.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote:
Detroit wrote:Can get a polarity tester for cheap at HF, and rewire the outlets yourself if it bothered you enough.

Yeah there are some things I won't push on, like the wiring and toilet seals, but the radon is a dealbuster.
:bruh:

shit water on floor is not ok. Make them fix that.

"reverse polarity plugs" :yeahok: might let them slide on that shit doe
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Calvinball wrote:

I think every house has some sort of wiring problem. You shoulda seen the janky wiring splices in my house. Knob and tube bridged with new wire, connected with electrical tape.
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Calvinball wrote:

Oh none of the toilets are actually leaking yet, but they will be soon.

We're gonna start off asking them to do eryting and see what they counter with.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: :bruh:

how do you tell that they are close to leaking? There is either shit water on the floor, or not.....
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Wax buildup at the base of the toilets is my guess
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Calvinball wrote:

how do you tell that they are close to leaking? There is either shit water on the floor, or not.....
Moisture meter.
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: SdKfz 181

Calvinball wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Moisture meter.
:notsure:
my name is yan but i go by igor and i live under teh stairs
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Moisture meter.
Hansgustaf wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
Moisture meter.
:dat:
Johnny_P

We have a fan, one strip of cabinet under lights, a microwave connected, and handles on all the cabinets.

The stove doesn't line up with the microwave over top. Potentially yuuuuuuge problem. IDK what GF and her parents will want to do about that, but it's off like a half inch.
Johnny_P

Adjustment to cabinets NGH. It's not off by all that much. Might look all right. Not sure.

Lights get finished tomorrow, and appliance delivery.

:doge: comes home tomorrow too :fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

half inch? you can tell?

:impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

:doge: :fuckyeah:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I need some help with paint.

I went by the Sherwin William's store and they're 5-gal of interior satin is ~$150.
I'm wondering about going with Valspar or Behr which seem to be ~ $95-$120 for 5-gal.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote:
Melon wrote:I need some help with paint.

I went by the Sherwin William's store and they're 5-gal of interior satin is ~$150.
I'm wondering about going with Valspar or Behr which seem to be ~ $95-$120 for 5-gal.
Is that with the 40% flood discount?
Yeah, such :disappoint:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Rough estimate is $1500 for paint.
:sad:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote:
Melon wrote:Rough estimate is $1500 for paint.
:sad:
That's kinda :mindblown:

How many gallons do you need for your place?
That's for 10 5-gal

Primer + Paint for roughly 1650 sq. feet.
1200 living
400 Garage
50 for storage room