Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm My buddy has been out of the market intentionally waiting for a downturn since 2010. He has since given up altogether. I thi k it's worth the hassle if the market is right., which means the right city and the right era.
He missed major opportunities then. Buying in 2010-2014 and selling now was probably one of the best real estate "investments" someone could make maybe for the next decade. Now's the time to get into a "forever" home and ride out the next 5-10 years.
It has only been good in a handful of metro areas. I want to cut off my right arm for not living in one of them. Missed out on probably 10 years of retirement on that fuckup...
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Yeah I’m going with VC. She already sent in her application and I started the change of occupancy forms for Michelle and I to fill out then I’ll scan them over to her tomorrow for her signature. Timing works out well because Michelle’s new place is vacating today, and PM company doesn’t know how long they’ll need to turn it around and get it ready for her. VC wants to move in on 9/16, so that gives Michelle the buffer she needs.
Plus extra black pajamas, she can show you guerilla tactics, good in a firefight.
:ohmy: :micdrop:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Yeah I’m going with VC. She already sent in her application and I started the change of occupancy forms for Michelle and I to fill out then I’ll scan them over to her tomorrow for her signature. Timing works out well because Michelle’s new place is vacating today, and PM company doesn’t know how long they’ll need to turn it around and get it ready for her. VC wants to move in on 9/16, so that gives Michelle the buffer she needs.
Plus extra black pajamas, she can show you guerilla tactics, good in a firefight.
Now I’m changing VC from Vietnamese Chick to VietCong
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Don’t call her Charlie...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm

There you go buddy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

If you get her to switch teams, she'll love you long time, Joe.

Me so horny
Last edited by Irish on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm
Detroit wrote: He missed major opportunities then. Buying in 2010-2014 and selling now was probably one of the best real estate "investments" someone could make maybe for the next decade. Now's the time to get into a "forever" home and ride out the next 5-10 years.
It has only been good in a handful of metro areas. I want to cut off my right arm for not living in one of them. Missed out on probably 10 years of retirement on that fuckup...
I think it was more than a handful. Fucking Detroit went :fullretard: and that still makes zero sense to me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm It has only been good in a handful of metro areas. I want to cut off my right arm for not living in one of them. Missed out on probably 10 years of retirement on that fuckup...
I think it was more than a handful. Fucking Detroit went :fullretard: and that still makes zero sense to me.
Whatever. It wasn't anywhere that I lived or anyone in my family lived - or anywhere that any of us could even get a fucking job offer. :eeyore:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:40 pm
Detroit wrote: I think it was more than a handful. Fucking Detroit went :fullretard: and that still makes zero sense to me.
Whatever. It wasn't anywhere that I lived or anyone in my family lived - or anywhere that any of us could even get a fucking job offer. :eeyore:
Bro, your family lives in Detroit Metro...I've been to your dad's house for proof.

:science:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:40 pm Whatever. It wasn't anywhere that I lived or anyone in my family lived - or anywhere that any of us could even get a fucking job offer. :eeyore:
Bro, your family lives in Detroit Metro...I've been to your dad's house for proof.

Farmington :haus: prices didn't do shit. They closed my old school and the roads are falling apart and it's growing full of non-AZN (aka low income aka black) minorities. There are no hobbits in the neighborhood.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Bro, your family lives in Detroit Metro...I've been to your dad's house for proof.

Farmington :haus: prices didn't do shit. They closed my old school and the roads are falling apart and it's growing full of non-AZN (aka low income aka black) minorities. There are no hobbits in the neighborhood.
Yea, it certainly seems like it's the Woodward corridor that grew the most. Gotta be strategic I guess.

Still surprised Farmington went down. That's always been a nice area IMO and more people seem to be reproducing now, making it an ideal area for many.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:35 pm Most relaxed I've felt in a month.
I had that feeling after dumping a $240k :haus: I can only imagine your relief.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Bro, your family lives in Detroit Metro...I've been to your dad's house for proof.

:science:[/quote There are no hobbits in the neighborhood.]
:lolol:

:mahtroy: :like:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:45 pm Farmington :haus: prices didn't do shit. They closed my old school and the roads are falling apart and it's growing full of non-AZN (aka low income aka black) minorities. There are no hobbits in the neighborhood.
Yea, it certainly seems like it's the Woodward corridor that grew the most. Gotta be strategic I guess.

Still surprised Farmington went down. That's always been a nice area IMO and more people seem to be reproducing now, making it an ideal area for many.
People like you jacked up the prices closer to the city and pushed the poors out to the fringes... leaving values stagnant out there with falling tax basis and crumbling infrastructure, and tons of fucking drugs and shit that used to stay south of 8 Mile. :thanksobama:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea, it certainly seems like it's the Woodward corridor that grew the most. Gotta be strategic I guess.

People like you jacked up the prices closer to the city and pushed the poors out to the fringes... leaving values stagnant out there with falling tax basis and crumbling infrastructure, and tons of fucking drugs and shit that used to stay south of 8 Mile. :thanksobama:
:notwrong:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm

VC is Vietnamese Chick?
Yes. You can throw in an additional political affiliation if you like.
:iswydt:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:25 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm

My buddy has been out of the market intentionally waiting for a downturn since 2010. He has since given up altogether. I thi k it's worth the hassle if the market is right., which means the right city and the right era.
He missed major opportunities then. Buying in 2010-2014 and selling now was probably one of the best real estate "investments" someone could make maybe for the next decade. Now's the time to get into a "forever" home and ride out the next 5-10 years.
He was perma doom-and-gloom. Hopefully he doesn't do the polar opposite at peak market or something. I believe more than ever that home appreciation in my market will be very select and everything else will likely just sit or appreciate slow enough that the overhead won't be worth it. I don't suspect I'm in one of those highly desired pockets since I was able to chizzle down the house I bought by a good margin, but I'm a breeder and have slightly different goals in mind.

I do think that inflation will get worse and prices will keep going up (stagflation), so I'm thinking about locking in to low interest rates and hitting the overtime hard until I get some of my bills sorted out the way I like them.

More shitty phone posts from this Canuck 😂
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My Moen faucet was dripping when in use in my kitchen for a while, just replaced it tonight. Usually HD is solid about returns without receipts but they just buttoned down on that mainly because they refunded 50k in merchandise that was not credit worthy. Thankfully the cash girl was standing beside the dude who paged for assistance and after 20 min of nobody showing up she whispered to me to come see here when I was checking out.

Checkout :dock: happened and I got $50 off their lowest price in stock faucet and ended up paying 120 for a 170 dollhair item. :fuckyeah:

Going to pick up a new Moen faucet from their factory tomorrow for my new :haus:

I'm just counting blessings and thankful AF at every step of the way. I gave a few concessions to the purchasers and sellers so my Karma count should be through the roof this month.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 pm My Moen faucet was dripping when in use in my kitchen for a while, just replaced it tonight. Usually HD is solid about returns without receipts but they just buttoned down on that mainly because they refunded 50k in merchandise that was not credit worthy. Thankfully the cash girl was standing beside the dude who paged for assistance and after 20 min of nobody showing up she whispered to me to come see here when I was checking out.

Checkout :dock: happened and I got $50 off their lowest price in stock faucet and ended up paying 120 for a 170 dollhair item. :fuckyeah:

Going to pick up a new Moen faucet from their factory tomorrow for my new :haus:

I'm just counting blessings and thankful AF at every step of the way. I gave a few concessions to the purchasers and sellers so my Karma count should be through the roof this month.
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:28 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 pm My Moen faucet was dripping when in use in my kitchen for a while, just replaced it tonight. Usually HD is solid about returns without receipts but they just buttoned down on that mainly because they refunded 50k in merchandise that was not credit worthy. Thankfully the cash girl was standing beside the dude who paged for assistance and after 20 min of nobody showing up she whispered to me to come see here when I was checking out.

:fuckyeah:
I swear I have 50 more grey hair in my scruffy beard from the last few weeks. I feel good :doe: , going to make this one last lifestyle change between now and retirement.

Are you planning on downsizing at some point in the future? What are your thoughts on the subject and on selling homes around retirement age in general?

Chicago is a pretty hopping city, I imagine it to be a lot like Toronto except for the :thankstrump: :thanksobama: ups and downs. We get those too :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The place I bought will need a two stage reno and I have a 28 day span between taking possession and closing on my place. We will commute to drop the kids off at their new school until we move in. Would love to gut out some crusty flooring and add the floors we currently have as the first part of the reno, and add fresh paint, duct cleaning and general preventative maintenance items wherever possible, probably add insulation to the attic since its reasonably affordable and made a noticeable difference in my current :haus:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 pm The place I bought will need a two stage reno and I have a 28 day span between taking possession and closing on my place. We will commute to drop the kids off at their new school until we move in. Would love to gut out some crusty flooring and add the floors we currently have as the first part of the reno, and add fresh paint, duct cleaning and general preventative maintenance items wherever possible, probably add insulation to the attic since its reasonably affordable and made a noticeable difference in my current :haus:
You're a fucking animal man.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 pm The place I bought will need a two stage reno and I have a 28 day span between taking possession and closing on my place. We will commute to drop the kids off at their new school until we move in. Would love to gut out some crusty flooring and add the floors we currently have as the first part of the reno, and add fresh paint, duct cleaning and general preventative maintenance items wherever possible, probably add insulation to the attic since its reasonably affordable and made a noticeable difference in my current :haus:
😄 Thanks man, my wife and I are both on the same page so she deserves equal credit. Hopefully after this we settle down until we are retired.

Also, it's funny but I seriously think I lack some self preservation chromosome 😳
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 pm

😄 Thanks man, my wife and I are both on the same page so she deserves equal credit. Hopefully after this we settle down until we are retired.

Also, it's funny but I seriously think I lack some self preservation chromosome 😳
Million Dollar Canucks
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:32 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 am

Million Dollar Canucks
Middle class problems. There was a couple who sold their half million dollar link home (semi-detached), and paired up with their parents to bid on my house but got outbid by another family that hasn't sold yet but wants to be in my area. It's :ludacris: