Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:21 pm 3 bed 3 bath home close to a downtown area but with a cute yard and ability to build an addition in the future. It’s small at 1697 sq ft and expensive at 610k. But it will work for now. Especially with a second little on the way.

Needs just a bit of work to move in but not much. Eventually I’ll need to replace all the windows as they’re single pane and old Af but they have storm windows over them so maybe not too drafty.

Did you buy this? Happy for you bro! Congrats
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That house is very ascthetically pleasing, and front porch looks quaint and in good shape! 👍
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:28 pm

Thanks. It will work for now. I’m excited that this process is nearing an end. Buying a house has been one of the worst experiences of my entire life.
Its been depressing 2000 miles away. Good luck on the reno.
No money for a reno since we had to raise our budget by $160k. Just enough money to demolish a too-big island and remove two back drafting gas water heaters and replace with electric.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:25 pm

Nice looking spot. Very cute. 1700sqft shouldn’t be bad for four people depending on the layout.
Thanks. It will work for now. I’m excited that this process is nearing an end. Buying a house has been one of the worst experiences of my entire life.
'grats dude! I'm sure you're incredibly relieved. The place isn't huge, but ppl have raised two kids in houses that size(or smaller) for generations, it'll all work out. That's only slightly smaller than our first house and I was 90% sure I wanted to stay until we found out #2 was #s 2 and 3.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:37 pm

'grats dude! I'm sure you're incredibly relieved. The place isn't huge, but ppl have raised two kids in houses that size(or smaller) for generations, it'll all work out. That's only slightly smaller than our first house and I was 90% sure I wanted to stay until we found out #2 was #s 2 and 3.
Can confirm. One of six kids growing up in a 1200sqft 3bed 2bath house. It never felt weird since it’s all we knew.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:26 pm

Its been depressing 2000 miles away. Good luck on the reno.
No money for a reno since we had to raise our budget by $160k. Just enough money to demolish a too-big island and remove two back drafting gas water heaters and replace with electric.
ewww why do this, fix the venting!

also, inside not as bad as you made it out to be. Its nice digs. Close and live your life. Start saving for private skool.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:44 pm

also, inside not as bad as you made it out to be. Its nice digs. Close and live your life. Start saving for private skool.
It’s the easy way out of the issue that will guarantee no CO coming back into the house. The water heaters are natural draft. They are tied into the exhaust of the home heater which is forced draft. Theoretically it can work but may require different sized exhausts or a separate pipe / liner in the chimney.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:11 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:27 pm

It’s the easy way out of the issue that will guarantee no CO coming back into the house. The water heaters are natural draft. They are tied into the exhaust of the home heater which is forced draft. Theoretically it can work but may require different sized exhausts or a separate pipe / liner in the chimney.
you are an engineer.... flow induced suction, its a thing. I've NEVER, and i mean NEVER seen a gas water heater that had a forced draft exhaust. Its just not a thing. Unless you are measuring backflow, like don't worry about it. I mean there are lots of direct venting gas appliances anyway, stove, fireplaces. There are sizing calcs. You only really get CO if the O2 level drops too low. You'd still be better off just MOVING the vent vs an appliance change. In your climate electric water heating is going to cost an arm and a leg too.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Congrats jp! Then once things are settled, you can eventually go back to your new toy, no more park by feelers
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Why are there 2 water heaters?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:24 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:11 am

you are an engineer.... flow induced suction, its a thing. I've NEVER, and i mean NEVER seen a gas water heater that had a forced draft exhaust. Its just not a thing. Unless you are measuring backflow, like don't worry about it. I mean there are lots of direct venting gas appliances anyway, stove, fireplaces. There are sizing calcs. You only really get CO if the O2 level drops too low. You'd still be better off just MOVING the vent vs an appliance change. In your climate electric water heating is going to cost an arm and a leg too.
The home heating system is fan assisted. Tied to the same exhaust pipe as two natural draft water heaters.

The water heaters have evidence of exhaust back flow visible on top of the units in the form of a ton of dust and soot in a radial pattern around the natural draft vent with no dust / soot in areas shielded by water inlet and outlet pipes to the units. So the gas appliances are in fact dumping exhaust gas into the basement.

I could potentially try messing with the vent pipes but I need to take a closer look at what’s going on with the system. Will need to check if all the appliances are category I or if the home heater is category III. All I know for sure is it’s not functioning as intended and the easy solution is remove the gas water heaters.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:36 am Why are there 2 water heaters?
Seller didn’t know. Said possibly because there’s 3 full bathrooms? Seemed like an odd response but maybe they were running out of hot water or something during showers.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:22 pm
wap wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:36 am Why are there 2 water heaters?
Seller didn’t know. Said possibly because there’s 3 full bathrooms? Seemed like an odd response but maybe they were running out of hot water or something during showers.
:notsure:
Doesn't seem to be so big a :haus: as to house enough people to put a strain on 1 water heater. Unless they're very small? Are they little 30 gallon :jalepenis: jobbers?
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:22 pm

Doesn't seem to be so big a :haus: as to house enough people to put a strain on 1 water heater. Unless they're very small? Are they little 30 gallon :jalepenis: jobbers?
They weren’t enormous. They’re also 20 years old so 🤷‍♂️
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:15 pm
wap wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:07 pm

oh, well then.

I'd still replace with gas, electric water heaters suck
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:58 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:15 pm

oh, well then.

I'd still replace with gas, electric water heaters suck
They’re a little bit cheaper to run. Otherwise not much difference. If I can get the venting to work right.
Johnny_P

Close on Wednesday this week. The entire process has been a headache from start to finish. I’ll be glad it’s over.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:21 pm Close on Wednesday this week. The entire process has been a headache from start to finish. I’ll be glad it’s over.
It'll be a yuuge relief, then the real work of physically moving start. Godspeed, bro. :like:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:21 pm Close on Wednesday this week. The entire process has been a headache from start to finish. I’ll be glad it’s over.
It'll be a yuuge relief, then the real work of physically moving start. Godspeed, bro. :like:
Well the work to make it a reasonable place to live starts next. It’s not a big list but a handful of tedious things. Like all the windowsills need to be refinished as they’re completely trashed. Paint some things. Structural analysis is scheduled for Friday to see if we can remove these ugly ass columns. Etc.

Kind of ska downer that’s what you get for the price but whatever.

Then furniture and moving and listing our current home. Which had more water coming in with the last storm because the neighbors suck. But yeah another 2 ish months hopefully and it’s all over.
Johnny_P

House acquired! Repairs start on Friday.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:57 pm House acquired! Repairs start on Friday.
Congrats dude!
SAWCE

Nothing to see here.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:57 pm House acquired! Repairs start on Friday.
:fuckyeah:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Congrats on this. get it done.
Johnny_P

They threw in their lawnmower, a ladder big enough to get to the gutters, and a wheelbarrow too.

At settlement the notary guy that was coordinating everything asked them to sign the price escalation clause from our offer. They had no idea it was even there. And she said it didn’t matter anyway “the house was yours.” I guess our heart felt letter helped!