Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:52 pm And just like that we're back to owning only one home. :sweaty: Bittersweet, but thankful everything's finally gone through.

Although the effing terrible appraisal for our equity line dragged things out and made it so we couldn't put down as much as we wanted on the new place, we did get a nice chunk of change from closing. Just dropped this year's contribution into the little dude's 529 plan and sent payoffs for the GTI and the Atlas, so we're down to having no debt at all but the house, which is a nice feeling.

I'm officially a suburban dad now. :disgust:
:muah: excellent news!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:38 pm :muah: excellent news!
Yessir!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:52 pm And just like that we're back to owning only one home. :sweaty: Bittersweet, but thankful everything's finally gone through.

Although the effing terrible appraisal for our equity line dragged things out and made it so we couldn't put down as much as we wanted on the new place, we did get a nice chunk of change from closing. Just dropped this year's contribution into the little dude's 529 plan and sent payoffs for the GTI and the Atlas, so we're down to having no debt at all but the house, which is a nice feeling.

I'm officially a suburban dad now. :disgust:
good news!
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

coogles wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:38 pm :muah: excellent news!
Yessir!
glad it all worked out in end.

No recourse on appraisal? You can do a "recast" if it really was that fuckt and market improves in like 6-8 months.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

dubshow wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:44 am glad it all worked out in end.

No recourse on appraisal? You can do a "recast" if it really was that fuckt and market improves in like 6-8 months.
There's really nothing to be done, the house appraised during the sale of the home, it was the appraisal for the equity line that was shit.

The seller of our new home had agreed to a $500 allowance for some small repairs that we had to give up because she had to carry the home for an extra month, so the bank agreed to refund us $500 toward the cost of the appraisal (it was $550), but otherwise it's a wrap.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

What do you think of this Studio • 3 ba • 2,538 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10-M ... 1123_zpid/
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:43 pm What do you think of this Studio • 3 ba • 2,538 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10-M ... 1123_zpid/
:jesus:
troyguitar

I actually found a real one that we might want since we're stuck up here for the foreseeable future. Far enough outside of the city to be a lot lower taxes (2.9 vs 4.5 percent), but still only 15 minutes door to door to her office since it's right near a highway entrance.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/52-O ... 2370_zpid/

SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 pm I actually found a real one that we might want since we're stuck up here for the foreseeable future. Far enough outside of the city to be a lot lower taxes (2.9 vs 4.5 percent), but still only 15 minutes door to door to her office since it's right near a highway entrance.
I’d want to update the kitchen and bathrooms, but other than that it’s great. And it’s definitely livable as-is, just being picky.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:25 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:43 pm I actually found a real one that we might want since we're stuck up here for the foreseeable future. Far enough outside of the city to be a lot lower taxes (2.9 vs 4.5 percent), but still only 15 minutes door to door to her office since it's right near a highway entrance.
I’d want to update the kitchen and bathrooms, but other than that it’s great. And it’s definitely livable as-is, just being picky.
My thoughts exactly. Kitchen and baths could use some help, but not right away as they're certainly livable, and the layout of the kitchen is fine. As a fan of old homes, I dig it. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like the layout and windows especially. Really nice home and garage!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

that's pretty neat with the shop, but won't you get murdered on taxes still? 12k a year?

idk man, I'd stay the course...
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
that's pretty neat with the shop, but won't you get murdered on taxes still? 12k a year?

idk man, I'd stay the course...
$6k/yr in this little neighborhood at $229k. That's starting to get into the realm of only really stupid instead of :fullretard: :gtfo:
troyguitar

Saw it this morning. It's ok. Looks better in the photos than in person, but it's all minor stuff. Most of the place seems like it hasn't been touched in 20+ years. Electric is older 100 amp service, basement is 19th century fieldstone, water heater is from 1999, it's well and septic vs city water, and the property has a lot of really big old trees on it.

Dunno if we want to sign up for that much :pinshit: work but it could possibly be worth it. Lots of "low hanging fruit" to improve it without spending a ton. The neighborhood is good and can actually support $300k+ houses, this one next door (with a much newer interior) sold for $327k a year ago:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/62-O ... 2369_zpid/

The big thing that can't be changed is that the ceilings are low, 94" downstairs and 88" upstairs. I snapped a few garbage photos mostly to jog my mind.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PboNkmFq9QRYmv7H9
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Barn in back is a plus. Classic cant sell it. Offer 198k :scrooge:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm Saw it this morning. It's ok. Looks better in the photos than in person, but it's all minor stuff. Most of the place seems like it hasn't been touched in 20+ years. Electric is older 100 amp service, basement is 19th century fieldstone, water heater is from 1999, it's well and septic vs city water, and the property has a lot of really big old trees on it.

Dunno if we want to sign up for that much :pinshit: work but it could possibly be worth it. Lots of "low hanging fruit" to improve it without spending a ton. The neighborhood is good and can actually support $300k+ houses, this one next door (with a much newer interior) sold for $327k a year ago:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/62-O ... 2369_zpid/

The big thing that can't be changed is that the ceilings are low, 94" downstairs and 88" upstairs. I snapped a few garbage photos mostly to jog my mind.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PboNkmFq9QRYmv7H9
Loads of potential but potential can be a pain.
:dat:

I suspect it'll come down to ceiling height. Being able to reach up and touch them makes any space feel small. In theory one could eliminate the attic and vault the upstairs ceilings but that has to be big money.

It seems like :tits: is going to veto anything that's remotely affordable up here for one reason or another - and I'm vetoing everything expensive. Can't win. :neek:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:07 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:21 pm

Loads of potential but potential can be a pain.
Can't win. :neek:
What happened to the eject plan in 5 years?
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:07 pm Can't win. :neek:
What happened to the eject plan in 5 years?
I'm not convinced it's going to happen. Neither of us has ever had a job offer in a place we wanted to be. Looking up and seeing that we're 50 and never started doing anything desirable with our lives is the fear.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:07 pm :dat:

I suspect it'll come down to ceiling height. Being able to reach up and touch them makes any space feel small. In theory one could eliminate the attic and vault the upstairs ceilings but that has to be big money.

It seems like :tits: is going to veto anything that's remotely affordable up here for one reason or another - and I'm vetoing everything expensive. Can't win. :neek:
Sounds like my home buying experience. We bought something expensive.
You're rich and want to work forever :doe:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 pm You're rich and want to work forever :doe:
Thankfully we bought "expensive" for us back in 2015 which isn't expensive for us any longer.
Expensive here never gets easier since it's mostly taxes which go up with market value. Dunno how nowhere else in the world seems to be like this but that's life up in this hell hole. You pay what, 1% or so?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:15 am Expensive here never gets easier since it's mostly taxes which go up with market value. Dunno how nowhere else in the world seems to be like this but that's life up in this hell hole. You pay what, 1% or so?
Property taxes?

Approximately 3% of assessed value
Property and school taxes vs market value. The assessments up here are regularly updated to match market value.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Property taxes?

Approximately 3% of assessed value
Property and school taxes vs market value. The assessments up here are regularly updated to match market value.
Which are still shockingly low, Hoth and all.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 pm Property and school taxes vs market value. The assessments up here are regularly updated to match market value.
Compared to what? A decently up to date place that's not a pile of PITA projects is $300k bare minimum, the same as it is in much of the country. The :[user not found]: alpotorium would be $400k+ here just like it was down there - and cost at least $15k/yr in taxes. 3 car attached garage with modern HVAC and interior is incredibly rare.

Yes, you can buy a house here for 5 figures but it's going to be a POS.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Compared to what? A decently up to date place that's not a pile of PITA projects is $300k bare minimum, the same as it is in much of the country. The :[user not found]: alpotorium would be $400k+ here just like it was down there - and cost at least $15k/yr in taxes. 3 car attached garage with modern HVAC and interior is incredibly rare.

I cannot point to specfics but my recollection of looking at your posts is that you have bandied about many homes in the low 2's that look decent enough.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 pm Compared to what? A decently up to date place that's not a pile of PITA projects is $300k bare minimum, the same as it is in much of the country. The :[user not found]: alpotorium would be $400k+ here just like it was down there - and cost at least $15k/yr in taxes. 3 car attached garage with modern HVAC and interior is incredibly rare.

I cannot point to specfics but my recollection of looking at your posts is that you have bandied about many homes in the low 2's that look decent enough.
The places in the 2's are all huge compromises full of endless projects. A "turn-key" modern home starts in the 3's.

Like this place that's $229k. We'd spend at least $50k and thousands of man hours updating it and hopefully sell for $3xx later... and the whole time be living in a house built for midgets. 7'4" ceiling upstairs, 7'10" downstairs. Huge garage but it's detached and uninsulated so you can't work in it for 6 months a year without spending big money to heat it.

Life is expensive everywhere.