Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:58 pm Image

:derp:
Looks 5/7!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Man that's cool. Do you have headspace once you get inside? I'd love to get a shop with a lift setup and having headspace is where it's at.
Going higher on the door is nice too. Sounds like a good score on the garage door..
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Damn looks good. I'm debating on what I'll end up doing with my garage door. I believe its wood so with a sand and paint job it should clean up nicely. I do need a new opener eventually though. This one has 0 safety features and pretty sure it doesn't even stop if it hits something
Apex
Drives: Abominable

That door is a serious 5/7 addition to Bag End!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apex wrote:

:dat: looks amazing, it goes perfectly with the rest of the houzz
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Man that's cool. Do you have headspace once you get inside? I'd love to get a shop with a lift setup and having headspace is where it's at.
Going higher on the door is nice too. Sounds like a good score on the garage door..
I only have about 8.5' of headroom. I've got the door tracks tucked as tight against the ceiling as I can get them with clearance for the door...and I'm using quick turn brackets to get the top of the door to close. I won't be able to fit a lift, but I'll maximize headroom...which is important for me being so tall. I used to hit my head on the old garage door...but I won't on this one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:01 pm
Apex wrote:
:dat: looks amazing, it goes perfectly with the rest of the houzz
It really does look awesome. We had wood doors at our old house, and I really wanted another. Problem is cost. This was a serious CL score...too bad the door was too big. despite being a mistake, I honestly like the way it looks with the taller door opening, and the added headroom will be :fuckyeah:

I should have the top panel in on Wednesday and the opener and everything going by the weekend.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 pm I only have about 8.5' of headroom. I've got the door tracks tucked as tight against the ceiling as I can get them with clearance for the door...and I'm using quick turn brackets to get the top of the door to close. I won't be able to fit a lift, but I'll maximize headroom...which is important for me being so tall. I used to hit my head on the old garage door...but I won't on this one.
Even if you can't fit a lift or anything, more top space is great. I've got plans to use what little ceiling space I've got with custom hangers and shit to put 2X4s and other things that are just taking up floor space in my place. I'd ultimately love to fit a set of wheels in a rack higher up and out my of my way. I've got a pulley system designed in my head to be able to lay them on the ground and pull them to the ceiling
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, the name of the game in the garage is get stuff as high up as possible. Lot's of wasted space in the ceiling. In my case, the front will be all garage door, but being able to pull in larger vehicles like the TRUK will be awesome.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The garage door is pretty :fuckyeah: .
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 am Wow, amazing score on the door - that looks fantastic. Gandalf should be happy.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:44 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 am Wow, amazing score on the door - that looks fantastic. Gandalf should be happy.
:amazing: gif

Gandalf is pissed right now because he can't get into the garage until the door is fully installed. But once it's done, will be 5/7.

The best part will the the top panel with all the windows.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:44 am
:lolol:
wap

So, met with neighbor plumber dude about my water heater. Also had him look at another potential issue. My big, cast iron main stack pipe has about a 4 ft horizontal section in the basement before going down and out the bottom of the foundation. Along the top seam of the horizontal part a large piece of iron has flaked off. It's about 2" x 10", right along the seam. My concern is that eventually that seam will split and we'll get sewer gas coming through, or, worse, occasional overflow when toilets are flushed. :gag:
He'd have to rig up a way to suspend the stack pipe (at about 30-odd feet from the basement to the roof that pipe must weigh a shit-ton), cut out the horizontal part above the elbow, then replace it with PVC. All in a very confined space barely 4 ft wide and 7 ft tall. That job, along with a new 40 gallon gas hot water heater, would cost $1625 total.

The way I see it, the stack pipe issue is a potential ticking time bomb and needs to be done now or later. The water heater on the other hand is working fine but it's 14 years old this year (9 year warranty) and I want to avoid potential hassles this winter. This unit replaced the previous one when it died in the middle of December. Not fun. This one may last 5 more years, but at 14 years old, who knows? He also recommended a 6 year warranty. Said the additional $$ for a 12 year was not worth it. Thoughts?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:50 am So, met with neighbor plumber dude about my water heater. Also had him look at another potential issue. My big, cast iron main stack pipe has about a 4 ft horizontal section in the basement before going down and out the bottom of the foundation. Along the top seam of the horizontal part a large piece of iron has flaked off. It's about 2" x 10", right along the seam. My concern is that eventually that seam will split and we'll get sewer gas coming through, or, worse, occasional overflow when toilets are flushed. :gag:
He'd have to rig up a way to suspend the stack pipe (at about 30-odd feet from the basement to the roof that pipe must weigh a shit-ton), cut out the horizontal part above the elbow, then replace it with PVC. All in a very confined space barely 4 ft wide and 7 ft tall. That job, along with a new 40 gallon gas hot water heater, would cost $1625 total.

The way I see it, the stack pipe issue is a potential ticking time bomb and needs to be done now or later. The water heater on the other hand is working fine but it's 14 years old this year (9 year warranty) and I want to avoid potential hassles this winter. This unit replaced the previous one when it died in the middle of December. Not fun. This one may last 5 more years, but at 14 years old, who knows? He also recommended a 6 year warranty. Said the additional $$ for a 12 year was not worth it. Thoughts?
I'd do them both...there's probably some cost savings with the guy already being out, might as well capitalize on it.

This reminds me that I have no idea how old our water heater is. Probably OLD. A bit scary, I should look into it more.

In terms of warranty, it depends how much it costs. I usually pass on warranties, instead opting to self-insure after the standard warranty period. Water heaters aren't that expensive in the grand scheme, so even a few hundred bucks for a warranty is like 20%+ of the cost. :iono:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 am
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:50 am So, met with neighbor plumber dude about my water heater. Also had him look at another potential issue. My big, cast iron main stack pipe has about a 4 ft horizontal section in the basement before going down and out the bottom of the foundation. Along the top seam of the horizontal part a large piece of iron has flaked off. It's about 2" x 10", right along the seam. My concern is that eventually that seam will split and we'll get sewer gas coming through, or, worse, occasional overflow when toilets are flushed. :gag:

I'd do them both...there's probably some cost savings with the guy already being out, might as well capitalize on it.

This reminds me that I have no idea how old our water heater is. Probably OLD. A bit scary, I should look into it more.

In terms of warranty, it depends how much it costs. I usually pass on warranties, instead opting to self-insure after the standard warranty period. Water heaters aren't that expensive in the grand scheme, so even a few hundred bucks for a warranty is like 20%+ of the cost. :iono:
My thoughts exactly re doing both jobs while he's there. There is much to be said for that, savings-wise. Water heaters come with 6, sometimes 9, or 12 year warranties, each more expensive than the other. He said it was "a couple hundred bucks more" for the 12 over the 6, and not worth it in his opinion. That would be about 25% of the installed cost of the unit. Kinda hard to justify, imo. Gotta like a guy who doesn't try to upsell. I think the 12 year comes with a second anode rod to slow the internal decay of the tank. Not entirely sure doe.
I figure the 6 year warranty will probably last 10 years and by that time I, and the planet, may not even exist any more. I think I just sold myself on the the 6 year.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:15 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 am

My thoughts exactly re doing both jobs while he's there. There is much to be said for that, savings-wise. Water heaters come with 6, sometimes 9, or 12 year warranties, each more expensive than the other. He said it was "a couple hundred bucks more" for the 12 over the 6, and not worth it in his opinion. That would be about 25% of the installed cost of the unit. Kinda hard to justify, imo. Gotta like a guy who doesn't try to upsell. I think the 12 year comes with a second anode rod to slow the internal decay of the tank. Not entirely sure doe.
I figure the 6 year warranty will probably last 10 years and by that time I, and the planet, may not even exist any more. I think I just sold myself on the the 6 year.
Solid reasoning here.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Our water heater is 12 years old and we get married on Sunday September 3rd, then drive out of town for a few days on labor day. I expect it to fail catastrophically in the evening on Saturday the 2nd. We'll be busy and stores will be closed. It'll be great.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:26 am Our water heater is 12 years old and we get married on Sunday September 3rd, then drive out of town for a few days on labor day. I expect it to fail catastrophically in the evening on Saturday the 2nd. We'll be busy and stores will be closed. It'll be great.
:lolol: :mahtroy:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:35 am
wap wrote:So, met with neighbor plumber dude about my water heater. Also had him look at another potential issue. My big, cast iron main stack pipe has about a 4 ft horizontal section in the basement before going down and out the bottom of the foundation. Along the top seam of the horizontal part a large piece of iron has flaked off. It's about 2" x 10", right along the seam. My concern is that eventually that seam will split and we'll get sewer gas coming through, or, worse, occasional overflow when toilets are flushed. :gag:

First do it all now. Failure of either of those would suck.

As for warranty... What's the cost difference?
Agreed. He has to coordinate with his kid/assistant, who's coming home from school in a couple of weeks. Will probably do it then.

Re 12 year warranty, about 25% of the installed cost of one with a 6 year, or "a couple hundred bucks".
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:26 am Our water heater is 12 years old and we get married on Sunday September 3rd, then drive out of town for a few days on labor day. I expect it to fail catastrophically in the evening on Saturday the 2nd. We'll be busy and stores will be closed. It'll be great.
This same neighbor/plumber once gave me a great piece of advice. He told me to shut off the water when we go out of town. To the whole house at the main shut off. Zero% chance of a leak from a bad water heater, failed washing machine lines, etc. He's personally seen the effects of someone not doing this and having literally hundreds of thousands of gallons of water damage from a raging leak going unchecked for a period of time while someone was out of town. We do this now even if we're gone for just a weekend right after our last last-minute toilet flush before we leave, then just turn it back on as soon as we get home. Massive peace of mind. Maybe you should do the same?
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:38 am
Detroit wrote: I'd do them both...there's probably some cost savings with the guy already being out, might as well capitalize on it.

That's exactly where I was going with my comment.

Replace the sacrificial and drain it annually and it should be fine for a long time.
I've never drained any of my water heaters ever. Probably should, but... :iono:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:41 am
troyguitar wrote:Our water heater is 12 years old and we get married on Sunday September 3rd, then drive out of town for a few days on labor day. I expect it to fail catastrophically in the evening on Saturday the 2nd. We'll be busy and stores will be closed. It'll be great.
That's my reasoning why I'm preemptively replacing it all now. It's not going to fail at a convenient time.
:dat:
They never do. As I mentioned above, my last water heater died in the middle of December, amidst all the Christmas rush BS, and cold as fuck out. :disgust: Trying to avoid that.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 am
This same neighbor/plumber once gave me a great piece of advice. He told me to shut off the water when we go out of town. To the whole house at the main shut off. Zero% chance of a leak from a bad water heater, failed washing machine lines, etc. He's personally seen the effects of someone not doing this and having literally hundreds of thousands of gallons of water damage from a raging leak going unchecked for a period of time while someone was out of town. We do this now even if we're gone for just a weekend right after our last last-minute toilet flush before we leave, then just turn it back on as soon as we get home. Massive peace of mind. Maybe you should do the same?
Woa, that's a fantastic idea. Takes less than a minute to shut off at the main.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:38 am That's exactly where I was going with my comment.

Replace the sacrificial and drain it annually and it should be fine for a long time.
I've never drained any of my water heaters ever. Probably should, but... :iono:
Same. But I imagine if they're used constantly, they probably last longer?

:iono: What fails exactly on water heaters?