Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:05 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:01 pm

The real problem with that, is once you choose an industry, it's really hard to break it. Oh you've got 10 years of oil tool design under your belt and want to work in the aerospace industry? Sorry, that means you've got zero aero experience and are green.... We're looking for experience and can hire you as a junior engineer for a sweet starting salary of $42K/year
Ima go back to school and get a job with Gordon. Then I'll be set.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:05 pm

GHD is right by Lamar head quarters and Gordon's office.

Coincidence? I think not.

For those not in the know, Gordon McKernan is a local injury lawyer, you know the type.
He popped up about 3 years ago here when he bought almost every fucking bilboard in town.

I shit you not, he has a bilboard making fun of how many bilboards he has.

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Flooding.

I'm going to make the best of it, I can get some land outside the city for a decent price and build a Melon Manor for a reasonable sum.
Realistically, I'm relegated to the gulf south, with Houston being the next hub that I could find work in, but man, I'd rather stay in Louisiana than live in Houston.
Austin is a different story, I'd love to live there. Once things pick back up, I'll start looking around that area.
:melon: hit it on the head here. And I'll add to it.
If you're not a football fan or lean to the right, you're going to have a tough time here. Baton Rouge is a little different than my town of Lafayette an hour west, but Lafayette has its own barrel of problems. I live in the metropolis of what's considered Cajun Country. The people here think we're the next Austin, but my fucking god we're far from it. I used to go to Austin a couple of times a year to visit a friend and this place is farrrrrrrrrrrr too unaccepting of people that aren't jesus lovers and people that don't look like them to be even close to Austin. The bigotry and hardcore christian right mentality seeps into the brain stems of most of the people here. They'll say they're accepting of everyone, every race, every creed... But deep down there's a seething tooth grinding backdrop of "Oh they don't believe in Jeebus and want to hand out abortions like halloween candy so we must shun them." It's very apparent when I listen to a local call in radio show in the afternoons on the way home from work. The mentality of people calling it is just sad. It's the mentality of "I'm not racist... BUT"..... Uh huh podnuh, just stfu now before you put your foot in your mouth.

Then there's the items that Louisiana is #50 in. But I guess it's all ok since we're #1 in college football. Louisiana is now three for three in being recognized as the worst state based on health care, education, infrastructure, crime and other quality-of-life measures, according to a national analysis.
In addition to coming in 50th overall each time the report has been released, Louisiana this year also ranked 50th compared to all others in individual analyses on crime, opportunity and the environment. Other categories scored included the state's economy (49th), education (48th), fiscal stability (43rd), health care (45th) and infrastructure (48th). Oil companies get MAJOR tax breaks for being here, and we collect virtually zero of that to put into our budget. The system is corrupt, the people are idiots (they put Clay Higgins in the fucking house of representatives.

Our roads are total shit too.
The only upsides is that it's relatively cheap to live here. A LOT of students graduate in Mechanical Engineering here, due to it being the hub of the oil companies (we're halfway between Houston and the Gulf, so Lafayette is actually where a lot of oil and gas work is done). The thing is those students stick around because of the Oil & Gas industry and never really leave it.

And don't get me started on the ramped amount of personal injury lawyers down here. Gordon can suck my ass
Got it. Thanks for the write up.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:09 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm

GHD is right by Lamar head quarters and Gordon's office.

Coincidence? I think not.

For those not in the know, Gordon McKernan is a local injury lawyer, you know the type.
He popped up about 3 years ago here when he bought almost every fucking bilboard in town.

I shit you not, he has a bilboard making fun of how many bilboards he has.

:impressive:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Small Town living in the middle of nowhere with access to skiing, hiking, lake life, an hour from my favorite part of PA, half a days drive to New York, Toronto, Philly, and extreme upstate NY. Suits me well.
Yeah I'm a NE US noob but it seems like it would be possible to have a different take than Troy. Different strokes. Everything is so close together up there compared to the West in terms of drive times.
The NE is better than you'd think in many ways... but man, that weather is just atrocious. You would really have to take up stuff like skiing and/or snowmobile to make it tolerable if you're someone who likes doing things outside for fun.

The finger lakes reason is actually really beautiful, but I'm not willing to freeze my ass off and be stuck inside for 8 months/year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:04 pm We keep thinking about buying a place. Maybe Corning is the best we can do and we might as well just give up and settle down. Rates are low, prices are down, taxes are "only" $10k a year. Can't afford not to buy.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-H ... m=referral
I like the house.

You never answered this question that I saw: has she actually asked to relocate? NOW is the time to do this. What is the worst that can happen? They are never going to just suggest that she leaves the headquarters unprovoked.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:25 pm

You'd be running some square footage there for sure. Taxes may be high, but those housing prices are free.com.
I was just looking at Zillow... Wowza
You're looking at the wrong side of the equation.

A house like yours would be "cheap" here. It would "only" cost $400-500k... buuuuuuuuuuut you'd start out paying $18000-22500 per year (4.5%) in taxes and it would continue to go up with market price from there for the rest of your life.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:04 pm We keep thinking about buying a place. Maybe Corning is the best we can do and we might as well just give up and settle down. Rates are low, prices are down, taxes are "only" $10k a year. Can't afford not to buy.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-H ... m=referral
I like the house.

You never answered this question that I saw: has she actually asked to relocate? NOW is the time to do this. What is the worst that can happen? They are never going to just suggest that she leaves the headquarters unprovoked.
Worst that can happen is she joins the 10+% of the company that's been laid off. "Oh you want to leave? OK. Bye!"
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 pm

I like the house.

Worst that can happen is she joins the 10+% of the company that's been laid off.
You still haven't answered the question, but I'm assuming it's a no. How can you still be complaining about it when the most simple attempt to get out hasn't been made? How the hell would asking that question result in a layoff?

I mean, don't go in with an ultimatum or anything like that, but just ask. Hell, she could just say you have an offer in X place you're crazy excited about. You're willing to put her job first and cool with staying in Corning, but figured it was worth at least running it by them before turning down the offer you have in X place.

When I was at SSL I asked to relocate for my (at the time) girlfriend's job and they were totally fine with it (she didn't end up getting the job).
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:58 pm Worst that can happen is she joins the 10+% of the company that's been laid off.
You still haven't answered the question, but I'm assuming it's a no. How can you still be complaining about it when the most simple attempt to get out hasn't been made? How the hell would asking that question result in a layoff?

I mean, don't go in with an ultimatum or anything like that, but just ask. Hell, she could just say you have an offer in X place you're crazy excited about. You're willing to put her job first and cool with staying in Corning, but figured it was worth at least running it by them before turning down the offer you have in X place.

When I was at SSL I asked to relocate for my (at the time) girlfriend's job and they were totally fine with it (she didn't end up getting the job).
We don't have another offer. We haven't seen another offer in SEVEN YEARS.

This job is our lifeline until that changes.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:57 pm You're looking at the wrong side of the equation.

A house like yours would be "cheap" here. It would "only" cost $400-500k... buuuuuuuuuuut you'd start out paying $18000-22500 per year (4.5%) in taxes and it would continue to go up with market price from there for the rest of your life.
Compared to what I'm looking at down here that would take about 20 years to start to work against me.
Your house doesn't appreciate?

Or you have an even higher tax rate?

I've literally never heard of either option.

(actually not true. Elmira, NY is 6.3% tax rate but nobody has wanted to live there for at least a century)
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:20 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:09 pm Your house doesn't appreciate?

(actually not true. Elmira, NY is 6.3% tax rate but nobody has wanted to live there for at least a century)
My current house is about 500k here. Looking up there if I spend 500k I get about 800k in house as I see it here. The taxes, while higher, don't catch up for a LONG time to that 300k swing.
Swing?
:meatspin:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:20 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:09 pm Your house doesn't appreciate?

My current house is about 500k here. Looking up there if I spend 500k I get about 800k in house as I see it here. The taxes, while higher, don't catch up for a LONG time to that 300k swing.
It's not a $300k swing unless you or your descendants NEVER sell the property. Look at appreciation, not current pricing.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Two weeks ago I signed and placed an EMD down on this in Las Vegas.

.5 acre
4729 square feet.
Paver stone driveways.
Nobody going to build behind me, so private back yard.
48" stove/oven
Built-in Fridge/Freezer
Guest suite downstairs will be my office.
Bunch of other small upgrades that nickel and dime you to death. Only doing the ones that I really like, or that would be hard to do once it's built.

Meeting with the flooring and electrical contractors in the next week to spec out all my custom wiring and flooring.
Expect to close between mid-January and mid-February.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm It's not a $300k swing unless you or your descendants NEVER sell the property. Look at appreciation, not current pricing.
I'm not following :iono:
If you pay $800k today and 20 years from now it sells for $2M, vs paying $500k today and 20 years from now it sells for $500k, then the $800k place actually costs less.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm Two weeks ago I signed and placed an EMD down on this in Las Vegas.

.5 acre
4729 square feet.
Paver stone driveways.
48" stove/oven
Built-in Fridge/Freezer
Bunch of other small upgrades that nickel and dime you to death. Only doing the ones that I really like, or that would be hard to do once it's built.

Meeting with the flooring and electrical contractors in the next week to spec out all my custom wiring and flooring.
This is awesome! :fuckyeah:

I’ll wave from the strip if I ever make it out to Vegas. :lol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm Two weeks ago I signed and placed an EMD down on this in Las Vegas.

.5 acre
4729 square feet.
Paver stone driveways.
48" stove/oven
Built-in Fridge/Freezer

Who are you?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:43 pm Who are you?
Yo soy el depilador
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:37 pm If you pay $800k today and 20 years from now it sells for $2M, vs paying $500k today and 20 years from now it sells for $500k, then the $800k place actually costs less.
Ahh yes, but looking at the listings the appreciation there is about the same there as it is here, maybe even a little better.

Over 20 years it looks to be about a push between appreciation and taxes on "the same amount of house."

Now for you guys that doesn't matter much because it's not where you want to be.
:wat:

Most any place we have looked at is selling today for the exact same price it did ~20 years ago. Zero appreciation. Not even with inflation.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:07 pm
D Griff wrote:

I know, just make that up as a reason for her to ask about it. Another offer for YOU, not for her. Again, don't come in with an ultimatum, just ask and have a reason for it. Hell, in my case I would just call my boss and be like "I want to move to San Diego because the weather rules" and he would be like "will you work the same way there as you have in the past?" I would say "yes" and he would be like cool, let me know what time off you need to move.

I don't see how this could possibly lead to a layoff. You just have to go in upfront and say "I am still going to be happy here if we can't do this, but we'd love to move because XYZ and I'm confident I could continue to perform at a high level as I've demonstrated for the past six months."

If she never tries this, you can't complain about Corning anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

.5 acre
4729 square feet.
Paver stone driveways.
48" stove/oven
Built-in Fridge/Freezer

Looks like a dope pad! Will you be acquiring an RV or what other :neat: things will fill that space?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, @troy... look at :waxer: 's sitch... he simply asked to become full remote and now he is moving to wherever the hell he wants to be.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:44 pm That guest suite looks like a 5/7 home office.
Should be good. Measures out at 21.5' x 12' not including the bathroom or closet.

All of the rooms are pretty big, the additional bedrooms upstairs are all ~17x12 except bed 3, that one is only ~15x13.

The storage room is going to be my IT closet and it is 5x11
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:56 pm
Looks like a dope pad! Will you be acquiring an RV or what other :neat: things will fill that space?
Thanks man.

Plan is to make it my shop. My compressor and all my floor standing tools, benches and other equipment will go in the back area and I am going to get a Bendpak lift up near the front.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:07 pm

I know, just make that up as a reason for her to ask about it. Another offer for YOU, not for her. Again, don't come in with an ultimatum, just ask and have a reason for it. Hell, in my case I would just call my boss and be like "I want to move to San Diego because the weather rules" and he would be like "will you work the same way there as you have in the past?" I would say "yes" and he would be like cool, let me know what time off you need to move.

I don't see how this could possibly lead to a layoff. You just have to go in upfront and say "I am still going to be happy here if we can't do this, but we'd love to move because XYZ and I'm confident I could continue to perform at a high level as I've demonstrated for the past six months."

If she never tries this, you can't complain about Corning anymore.
:notwrong:

I've been pushing her to do that for the past 4 months. She's scared of being branded a quitter and punted at the nearest opportunity - or at the very least overlooked for everything in the future. Even if it's granted the fear is that the old-school business will not value remote people and they will be treated like garbage eternally. With no fallback plan and a history of getting no offers whatsoever from anyone anywhere, it's hard to argue against being super conservative. Not only can one not bite the hand that feeds, one shouldn't even look at it funny. One should shake and roll over and play dead like a good fucking boy.