Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:53 am We apply to stuff all over the country on a regular basis. Definitely well over 1000 applications in by now. She got exactly three offers since 2008 and took all three, Corning in 2013 was the last offer.

She changed roles and industries three times and got 2 masters degrees during that time as well. Nobody gives a fuck.
:rolleyes:

in what? underwater basket weaving? With that level of education she should have a ton of options. Or she could teach.

I mean, have you considered she is just not an exceptional worker and that's why the opportunities don't present? Is she unmotivated to make a change and is this you bitching?
Fucking MBA and MEng from fucking MIT...

You shouldn't have to be exceptional to get a fucking job. Most people are around average and have jobs. Even here at DFDcorp, none of us are the best in the world at what we do.

But sure, bootstrap boy. It's all our fault. We suck. We deserve to hate life because we are too dumb to do any better.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
:rolleyes:

in what? underwater basket weaving? With that level of education she should have a ton of options. Or she could teach.

I mean, have you considered she is just not an exceptional worker and that's why the opportunities don't present? Is she unmotivated to make a change and is this you bitching?
Fucking MBA and MEng from fucking MIT...

You shouldn't have to be exceptional to get a fucking job. Most people are around average and have jobs. Even here at DFDcorp, none of us are the best in the world at what we do.

But sure, bootstrap boy. It's all our fault. We suck. We deserve to hate life because we are too dumb to do any better.
:rolleyes: hardest of :rolleyes:

If anyone, including you, would bother to ask id tell you for the most part I've been daym fortunate to end up where I am. BUT it was not without some work to get there.

Read between the lines fucker. I used the word exceptional to gently avoid saying shitty, which I am doing now. Have you considered your wife is bad at her job(s)?
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am Fucking MBA and MEng from fucking MIT...

If anyone, including you, would bother to ask id tell you for the most part I've been daym fortunate to end up where I am. BUT it was not without some work to get there.

Read between the lines fucker. I used the word exceptional to gently avoid saying shitty, which I am doing now. Have you considered your wife is bad at her job(s)?
I did fucking read. You think that we are stupid lazy fucks who can't do anything right. Thanks for clarifying.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:00 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

I did fucking read. You think that we are stupid lazy fucks who can't do anything right. Thanks for clarifying.
I don't think that about you at all but I've never met your wife and spouses tend to view one another through rose color glasses. I'm just suggesting you take a un biased appraisal of the situation.

I am sorry if I've railed you up. Just wanted to push you to think outside the box a little
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:00 am I did fucking read. You think that we are stupid lazy fucks who can't do anything right. Thanks for clarifying.
I don't think that about you at all but I've never met your wife and spouses tend to view one another through rose color glasses. I'm just suggesting you take a un biased appraisal of the situation.

I am sorry if I've railed you up. Just wanted to push you to think outside the box a little
I mean I guess it's possible for one job, but every job she's ever had? Seems unlikely. I'd hire her over me for most jobs, my output can be incredible for short bursts but goes to near zero in between. She's the slow and steady always working and following all the rules type who will always show up and actually finish projects. Not dumb, but one of the less smart people at MIT who got in and got through due to hard work more than brilliance.

Ideally I'm the guy you hire on contract to help the real workers when they get stuck, but you can't count on me to do all of the busy work before and after that point. How one makes that happen without doing 20 years of busy work first is a different question.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:19 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 am

No, you're just a dick.

Rules 6 and 8.
Hey.

Fuck you. enjoy the power trip.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:20 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:19 am

No, you're just a dick.

Rules 6 and 8.
Hey.

You called Troy's wife lazy, this is on you.
Calm down, stay in your lane.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Last edited by Acid666 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:24 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:20 am

Hey.

I have a high paying job, a gorgeous wife, and a monster cock. It's not a power trip. I am power.
You too man.
Zip it.

Let's move on.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am Fucking MBA and MEng from fucking MIT...

The real issue here is she is a woman. It's a much harder world to navigate for her where being the best isn't enough. The women that are promoted above her probably have figured out how to play the game better than her. It's entirely unfair at best and possibly illegal.
FWIW promotion isn't the goal. This level (lower management) is fine, ideally located almost anywhere else on the planet. In any industry.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:37 am FWIW promotion isn't the goal. This level (lower management) is fine, ideally located almost anywhere else on the planet. In any industry.
FWIW I look at those in my career as functionally the same thing (better org + better location = promotion). Might be helpful to work at it from that framework. Might not be!
That's fair but to be honest this is a good organization and a lot of people actually like the location. It certainly has its merits.

We'd be fine with a better location for us, in a slightly worse organization or position. Upgrade in lifestyle for us? Absolutely. But my point is that to any corporate outsider, we aren't looking to climb up the ladder. Down a rung would be fine if it's in Louisville or St Louis or St Augustine or Lisbon or Dresdin or Detroit or Tampa or Talinn or Toronto or Asheville or.... almost fucking anywhere.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:59 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:55 am I think I need a plan like this. Wife and I get sicker and sicker of this state the more time passes.
Word, too bad my job keeps me here.
So top 5 suck things about Loosiana? Baton Rouge doesn't sound all that enticing to me unless I'm a nutjob SEC Football fan and LSU season ticket holder AND a major sportsman.....hunting/fishing/airboating.
New Orleans weather without ocean access and the French Quarter? :sad: What else is wrong with it?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm That's fair but to be honest this is a good organization and a lot of people actually like the location. It certainly has its merits.

We'd be fine with a better location for us, in a slightly worse organization or position. Upgrade in lifestyle for us? Absolutely. But my point is that to any corporate outsider, we aren't looking to climb up the ladder. Down a rung would be fine if it's in Louisville or St Louis or St Augustine or Lisbon or Dresdin or Detroit or Tampa or Talinn or Toronto or Asheville or.... almost fucking anywhere.
Yeah I get ALL of that. Corning seems super attractive to me, but that's my kind of living. I can see how it suckkkssss if it's "not for you"
Go on.....
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:03 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:59 am

Word, too bad my job keeps me here.
So top 5 suck things about Loosiana? Baton Rouge doesn't sound all that enticing to me unless I'm a nutjob SEC Football fan and LSU season ticket holder AND a major sportsman.....hunting/fishing/airboating.
New Orleans weather without ocean access and the French Quarter? :sad: What else is wrong with it?
Flooding.

I'm going to make the best of it, I can get some land outside the city for a decent price and build a Melon Manor for a reasonable sum.
Realistically, I'm relegated to the gulf south, with Houston being the next hub that I could find work in, but man, I'd rather stay in Louisiana than live in Houston.
Austin is a different story, I'd love to live there. Once things pick back up, I'll start looking around that area.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tennessee was ideal, but it's full of 4zilch, so that's out.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 pm Tennessee was ideal, but it's full of 4zilch, so that's out.
:word:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Flooding.

I'm going to make the best of it, I can get some land outside the city for a decent price and build a Melon Manor for a reasonable sum.
Realistically, I'm relegated to the gulf south, with Houston being the next hub that I could find work in, but man, I'd rather stay in Louisiana than live in Houston.
Austin is a different story, I'd love to live there. Once things pick back up, I'll start looking around that area.
Houston has jobs. Otherwise it's no bueno.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Go on.....
Small Town living in the middle of nowhere with access to skiing, hiking, lake life, an hour from my favorite part of PA, half a days drive to New York, Toronto, Philly, and extreme upstate NY. Suits me well.
Yeah I'm a NE US noob but it seems like it would be possible to have a different take than Troy. Different strokes. Everything is so close together up there compared to the West in terms of drive times.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Flooding.

Houston has jobs. Otherwise it's no bueno.
Jessi and I would have to forfeit ideas about having 2 acres and having a 30 min commute.
Texas has it's perks, taxes are lower, and it's got it's shit together when compared to Louisiana.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Yeah I'm a NE US noob but it seems like it would be possible to have a different take than Troy. Different strokes. Everything is so close together up there compared to the West in terms of drive times.
If you aren't into being 2 hours from the closest cities and those cities are Buffalo and Scranton, not going to be for you. I FULLY get Troy's take, just personality differences.
Scranton is a little rough. I would think Buffalo and Rochester have some merit.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Scranton is a little rough. I would think Buffalo and Rochester have some merit.
If we didn't have family considerations we'd go someplace like Corning. Work needs me a few hours from an airport and the good Dr has found telehealth to be extremely profitable.
You'd be running some square footage there for sure. Taxes may be high, but those housing prices are free.com.
Acid666

Flooding.

:melon: hit it on the head here. And I'll add to it.
If you're not a football fan or lean to the right, you're going to have a tough time here. Baton Rouge is a little different than my town of Lafayette an hour west, but Lafayette has its own barrel of problems. I live in the metropolis of what's considered Cajun Country. The people here think we're the next Austin, but my fucking god we're far from it. I used to go to Austin a couple of times a year to visit a friend and this place is farrrrrrrrrrrr too unaccepting of people that aren't jesus lovers and people that don't look like them to be even close to Austin. The bigotry and hardcore christian right mentality seeps into the brain stems of most of the people here. They'll say they're accepting of everyone, every race, every creed... But deep down there's a seething tooth grinding backdrop of "Oh they don't believe in Jeebus and want to hand out abortions like halloween candy so we must shun them." It's very apparent when I listen to a local call in radio show in the afternoons on the way home from work. The mentality of people calling it is just sad. It's the mentality of "I'm not racist... BUT"..... Uh huh podnuh, just stfu now before you put your foot in your mouth.

Then there's the items that Louisiana is #50 in. But I guess it's all ok since we're #1 in college football. Louisiana is now three for three in being recognized as the worst state based on health care, education, infrastructure, crime and other quality-of-life measures, according to a national analysis.
In addition to coming in 50th overall each time the report has been released, Louisiana this year also ranked 50th compared to all others in individual analyses on crime, opportunity and the environment. Other categories scored included the state's economy (49th), education (48th), fiscal stability (43rd), health care (45th) and infrastructure (48th). Oil companies get MAJOR tax breaks for being here, and we collect virtually zero of that to put into our budget. The system is corrupt, the people are idiots (they put Clay Higgins in the fucking house of representatives.

Our roads are total shit too.
The only upsides is that it's relatively cheap to live here. A LOT of students graduate in Mechanical Engineering here, due to it being the hub of the oil companies (we're halfway between Houston and the Gulf, so Lafayette is actually where a lot of oil and gas work is done). The thing is those students stick around because of the Oil & Gas industry and never really leave it.

And don't get me started on the ramped amount of personal injury lawyers down here. Gordon can suck my ass
Last edited by Acid666 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 pm The thing is those students stick around because of the Oil & Gas industry and never really leave it.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:57 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 pm The thing is those students stick around because of the Oil & Gas industry and never really leave it.
The real problem with that, is once you choose an industry, it's really hard to break it. Oh you've got 10 years of oil tool design under your belt and want to work in the aerospace industry? Sorry, that means you've got zero aero experience and are green.... We're looking for experience and can hire you as a junior engineer for a sweet starting salary of $42K/year
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:01 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:57 pm

The real problem with that, is once you choose an industry, it's really hard to break it. Oh you've got 10 years of oil tool design under your belt and want to work in the aerospace industry? Sorry, that means you've got zero aero experience and are green.... We're looking for experience and can hire you as a junior engineer for a sweet starting salary of $42K/year