Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:pouroneout: for missing out on the perfect house in our old neighborhood. Came on the market long after we moved, and it's toward the southern edge so getting somewhat hood adjacent, but I'd deal for this place. Fuuuuuck me. :sad:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 36?view=qv
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:49 pm :pouroneout: for missing out on the perfect house in our old neighborhood. Came on the market long after we moved, and it's toward the southern edge so getting somewhat hood adjacent, but I'd deal for this place. Fuuuuuck me. :sad:

That place looks sick
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Very Cool. You can't time everything perfectly dood.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:Very Cool. You can't time everything perfectly dood.
That's also a ton of :haus: and debt in some very uncertain times. I hate our place but I'm glad we don't own anything right now.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:01 pm Very Cool. You can't time everything perfectly dood.
:dat:

While the house is super awesome, timing just doesn't always work out.

That's how we've ended up buying 3 different houses in the last 6 years. The first two we bought through compromises because we had to buy something. The third is our "dream house", but we had to move sooner than we planned to get it. Timing for real estate is never ideal.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote:Very Cool. You can't time everything perfectly dood.
That's also a ton of :haus: and debt in some very uncertain times. I hate our place but I'm glad we don't own anything right now.
Depends. Some markets are more stable than others...and our mortgage is less than rent is on a semi-fancy 2-bed apt in Royal Oak.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:49 pm :pouroneout: for missing out on the perfect house in our old neighborhood. Came on the market long after we moved, and it's toward the southern edge so getting somewhat hood adjacent, but I'd deal for this place. Fuuuuuck me. :sad:

Went through the rest of the photos...is legit awesome.

This house and yard reminds me a ton of our hood in metro Detroit. Same vintage and neighborhood layout. Love it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:54 pm Went through the rest of the photos...is legit awesome.

This house and yard reminds me a ton of our hood in metro Detroit. Same vintage and neighborhood layout. Love it.
Yeah man. The current place was more than $100k less expensive, but had we bought something like that straight away, I'd have no desire to move a second time once we're no longer dealing with more than $3,000/mo in daycare costs. Oh well, there will be another.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah: :haus:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hey bros, I'm taking on a rediculous project, mainly because its dusty and dirty, but also huge. The multi-level staircase. No better time then the present for this bitch.

Planning is the key here, but I'm trying to feel out how things will go so today was a mediocre experiment that turned into a half decent kick start, unfortunately there's no turning back lol

The reason for this venture is to match the 20 y/o staircase to the new flooring on the main and second level. The oak planks we chose to throw in are wide engineered wood white washed oak, the staircase is oak as well so things should work out well, but finding the stain for the wooden planks and nosing will be the key to success.

The sanding is BRUTAL! It is so dusty that clean up today took me two hours, so I'm going to have to tape off some tarps/plastic sheets to keep the dust contained to the stairs and not the whole house.

From main floor to basement, I managed to sand all of the kick boards/flashing/risers or whatever they are called, and the hand rail. These sanded surfaces are going to be painted CC20 white, like the baseboards and trim work. I don't know if I should paint them first and then remove the spindles and sand the planks or the other way around. I really should take the spindles off and sand the whole thing but I have no safe way to get that work done with two kids in the house. This is my biggest compromise.

I think that I should just buy new spindles and cut/paint them before going much further.

Maybe sand all that I can this week, and I'm thinking of painting the risers, so if the paint gets on the planks it's less of a big deal. My issue with the painting of the risers is the spindles constantly in the way, unless I thin them out and remove every second one. Hmm.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Pics of the staircase and work today.

Daunting.. at least I have this thing.. barely been out of its bag for a decade, found a baggie of weed in there as well, 😂👍

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think I'm going to need two or three more days of sanding, and will need to rent some extra tools for the planks. Not sure what the pros use?
wap

:dat: is a :nice: stairway.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:49 pm :dat: is a :nice: stairway.
Thanks man, it's definitely one of my favorite features of the house, didn't really realize its :dedong: until I started messing with it today. Wife and I are trying to decide what pieces to paint white and what pieces to keep to the wood stain that matches the flooring. We've gone from 100% wood to white spindles/risers/handrail(?). We're even considering wrought iron spindles. Trying to do something timeless :wap:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 pm
wap wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:49 pm :dat: is a :nice: stairway.
Thanks man, it's definitely one of my favorite features of the house, didn't really realize its :dedong: until I started messing with it today. Wife and I are trying to decide what pieces to paint white and what pieces to keep to the wood stain that matches the flooring. We've gone from 100% wood to white spindles/risers/handrail(?). We're even considering wrought iron spindles. Trying to do something timeless :wap:
From what I can see from the pics, I'd say that in your :haus: keeping them wood instead of wrought iron would be a more timeless choice, or at least fit in better. Though painting the spindles would look good, too. :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:48 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 pm

From what I can see from the pics, I'd say that in your :haus: keeping them wood instead of wrought iron would be a more timeless choice, or at least fit in better. Though painting the spindles would look good, too. :like:
I might see if the spindles can get sanded and repainted while I have them out to do the planks. It is definitely the :scrooge: option. I just can't leave them out for any extended time frame.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Maybe I should try to take out every second one and see if they can be sand blasted and sprayed
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm stoked, these come out more easily then I thought! This will simplify the project quite a bit, I'm going to do the whole basement disassembly and sand/paint each spindle individually or get them sprayed if I can find someone. I can now sand my planks down to raw wood and start planning to stain them and the hand rail. :like:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm stoked! My buddy has this tool, going to pick up and sand the planks with this bish:

So the plan is, strip the stairs with this stuff and sand with the orbital.. I might do some hand scraping to give it the same texture as the floors. Uncharted territory bros.

The :stripper:

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:48 pm I'm stoked, these come out more easily then I thought! This will simplify the project quite a bit, I'm going to do the whole basement disassembly and sand/paint each spindle individually or get them sprayed if I can find someone. I can now sand my planks down to raw wood and start planning to stain them and the hand rail. :like:

why do you hate yourself, and who hurt you as a child.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:18 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:48 pm I'm stoked, these come out more easily then I thought! This will simplify the project quite a bit, I'm going to do the whole basement disassembly and sand/paint each spindle individually or get them sprayed if I can find someone. I can now sand my planks down to raw wood and start planning to stain them and the hand rail. :like:

Let me count the reasons:

1.) I was quoted 10k (7k US) to refinish these stairs with new spindles.
2.) My wife busts my balls like a proper Sicilian.
3.) I'm idled at home and being productive brings me some level self-fulfillment.
4.) I might have some sort of undiagnosed mental disfunction/on the spectrum :iono:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:25 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:18 pm

3.) I'm idled at home and being productive brings me some level self-fulfillment.
4.) I might have some sort of undiagnosed mental disfunction/on the spectrum :iono:

So you are retarded, go it. :like: :lol:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:25 pm

So you are retarded, go it. :like: :lol:
Basically :lolol:
wap

:iono: seems like a fun enough project to me.

Surf, I was confused. What you're calling planks, I think you are referring to the stair treads, the horizontal part you step on, correct?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Avoids COVID-19. Gets put on ventilator after choking on wood dust.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.