Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

@Tarspin ..... Wife unit watches a lot of the the fixer upper, flip or flop, house shows (and I generally listen in while on the computer) the ones set in Canuckistan always blow our minds because all of the houses are $1 mill plus. Is most of Canada that affluent? And may I ask what you do for a living to afford 7 figure housing?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Irish wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:53 pm @Tarspin ..... Wife unit watches a lot of the the fixer upper, flip or flop, house shows (and I generally listen in while on the computer) the ones set in Canuckistan always blow our minds because all of the houses are $1 mill plus. Is most of Canada that affluent? And may I ask what you do for a living to afford 7 figure housing?
Heyy, so yes those shows are based in Toronto and Vancouver. Good luck finding anything decent and detached under $1MM.

We bought three houses over time, paying off each one before stepping up to the next. Loans were always for 300k at a time and we paid one off before upgrading to a bigger home with a new loan.

Currency is 0.75:1 so keep that in mind too, and loan costs are usually variable rate under 4% and during the depths of 2009 as low as 1.5%. Currently can get a five year term for about 2.8% or 300k for about two grand a month which includes amortization over 25 yrs. Over the years, my wife and I worked, she paid the bills and I hammered the mortgage payments with everything I could earn. I own my own consulting business and have been running it for fifteen years. I do okay, Toronto is like pay area, all the big North American offices are here as well. My firm provides robotic equipment services, everything from programming to greasing. I've launched the 300C, Charger, Challenger, Rav4 twice, RX350, taking lead roles in programming the US brands and tech support/calibration of equipment on the Japanese stuff.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Irish wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:53 pm @Tarspin ..... Wife unit watches a lot of the the fixer upper, flip or flop, house shows (and I generally listen in while on the computer) the ones set in Canuckistan always blow our minds because all of the houses are $1 mill plus. Is most of Canada that affluent? And may I ask what you do for a living to afford 7 figure housing?
Heyy
:impressive: non-answer
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Heyy, so yes those shows are based in Toronto and Vancouver. Good luck finding anything decent and detached under $1MM.

We bought three houses over time, paying off each one before stepping up to the next. Loans were always for 300k at a time and we paid one off before upgrading to a bigger home with a new loan.

Currency is 0.75:1 so keep that in mind too, and loan costs are usually variable rate under 4% and during the depths of 2009 as low as 1.5%. Currently can get a five year term for about 2.8% or 300k for about two grand a month which includes amortization over 25 yrs. Over the years, my wife and I worked, she paid the bills and I hammered the mortgage payments with everything I could earn. I own my own consulting business and have been running it for fifteen years. I do okay, Toronto is like pay area, all the big North American offices are here as well. My firm provides robotic equipment services, everything from programming to greasing. I've launched the 300C, Charger, Challenger, Rav4 twice, RX350, taking lead roles in programming the US brands and tech support/calibration of equipment on the Japanese stuff.
Better :lol: :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Heyy
:dat: got tied up :sorry:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

So you make epic $$$$$$ for pressing some buttons a la :waxer: and get to win at life as a result. Good work. Are you hiring?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:08 pm So you make epic $$$$$$ for pressing some buttons a la :waxer: and get to win at life as a result. Good work. Are you hiring?
I have dudes work for me but they are lubing robots. The only shit part is getting calls at night and having drive out to help out. But yeah, I'm way overpaid for what I do... what I know is a bit different, I was robot lead at Daimler-Chrysler Bramalea Plant at 26, there were smarter guys but they quit because the pressure got to them.
troyguitar

So you're not hiring replacements?
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:03 pm
wap wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:58 pm
:dat: got tied up :sorry:
:zing:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 pm So you're not hiring replacements?
Gotta keep doing g what I'm doing for at least five years, then I train my replacement. It takes a special :derp: to want these hours and stress. I've watched guys get kicked out of plants because they couldn't figure out if the dead robot had a mechanical or electrical problem while the place :thisisfine:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

:impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 pm

:impressive:
Thanks man, five more years of insanity and we should be able to run the rental business at Grand Bend and work at a relaxed pace right into retirement.

So long boring story short, the people buying houses at that price better have good jobs and equity somewhere. We have a lot of people selling to buy, so it's all relative. Plus 300k newcomers to the country annually and most of them show up with a lot of money. The majority of younger people just can't get into housing at all. The problem is that rent anywhere is over two grand a month so if it's at all feasible to get a house or condo, then one aspires to do so.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 pm Colossal day for me and :haus: things. We bought the pool house hours hours before the .gov changed the stress test lending requirements. This should give both properties we are holding a boost since prospective buyers will now more easily qualify for bigger loans.

This is big news:

https://business.financialpost.com/real ... since-2016
ohdang! talk about timing that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:45 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 pm Colossal day for me and :haus: things. We bought the pool house hours hours before the .gov changed the stress test lending requirements. This should give both properties we are holding a boost since prospective buyers will now more easily qualify for bigger loans.

This is big news:

ohdang! talk about timing that.
This. Financially speaking that's a $40,000 jump ... talk about horseshoes up my ass
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

This is big news:

Congratulations bro!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:13 pm

This is big news:

Congratulations bro!
Thanks a ton! We are super excited and challenged by this purchase and the speed at which we need to prep for the sale.

Staging and a shower gut job all sitting in my lap. The contractors were quoting $5k so l :scrooge: and decided to do it myself (with my dad's help who knows what he is doing.

My wife's dad and my mom have been helping with landscaping and cleaning windows. :tits: is studying for a job interview that could land her a raise and permanent spot so she is away with the kids. I'm beat and stressed!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I installed a nice LED fixture in the closet, which replaced a 40 year old crumble wire cheapo incandescent bulb. Also started putting up curtain rods. Trying to use the stud finder it beeped like its solid wood 6" from door frame and header....

Apparently the new house is some how fucking with the stud finder on exterior walls. There is definitely no large 2X12 header over the doors/windows. But the new curtains do look nice.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:39 am https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-home-s ... 01820.html

is it happening?
This is new home sales. People want to be close to cities in areas that are mostly developed...so there's nowhere for new homes to be built. I know around us, the only way to get a new house is to be an hour+ outside of the city in the BFE. Not to mention, those houses are :waxer: AF...so you pay a fortune to live in a new house in the middle of nowhere a far drive from anything. Yea, no thanks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:18 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:39 am https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-home-s ... 01820.html

is it happening?
This is new home sales. People want to be close to cities in areas that are mostly developed...so there's nowhere for new homes to be built. I know around us, the only way to get a new house is to be an hour+ outside of the city in the BFE. Not to mention, those houses are :waxer: AF...so you pay a fortune to live in a new house in the middle of nowhere a far drive from anything. Yea, no thanks.
Same thing here. To live anywhere that's convenient to where we'd want to be outside of the central part of the city, we're looking at mostly 70s and 80s homes. Home architecture went to shit in the 90s and early 00s anyway, so no loss for me. Some of the new shit out in BFE is really nice, but yeah, no thanks to living out that far.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

is it happening?
In part yes.

What makes me :rage: the fuck out is that cities are too stupid to encourage smart growth so they build out in flood plains and stretches out infrastructure and balloons utility costs. It also continues to water down existing home build in better areas.

So pretty much a large portion of homes built in the last 20 years, locally, are further out and in flood plains... :fshitup:

Meanwhile older stock lingers until a "flipper" comes in to renovate.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:34 pm
In part yes.

What makes me :rage: the fuck out is that cities are too stupid to encourage smart growth so they build out in flood plains and stretches out infrastructure and balloons utility costs. It also continues to water down existing home build in better areas.

So pretty much a large portion of homes built in the last 20 years, locally, are further out and in flood plains... :fshitup:

Meanwhile older stock lingers until a "flipper" comes in to renovate.
Yep, agreed. Nobody wins with these sprawl situations, and I think that's what's really depressing new home sales.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

I like sprawl. Being on top of everyone with sky high prices for tiny crumbling old shit with no parking, no storage, and high traffic is :disgust:

The country (and world) are HUGE. Why do you need to be so close to everyone?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:39 pm I like sprawl. Being on top of everyone with sky high prices for tiny crumbling old shit with no parking, no storage, and high traffic is :disgust:

economies of scale for the services of a civilized industrial sciocity.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:39 pm I like sprawl. Being on top of everyone with sky high prices for tiny crumbling old shit with no parking, no storage, and high traffic is :disgust:

economies of scale for the services of a civilized industrial sciocity.
You mean like schools that teach English? :idbu:

https://www.amazon.com :bruh: