Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:57 am Email from installer

"
In the state of Michigan if we are installing something and it is a part of your property tax we do not have to charge you sales tax anymore. So to answer your question this is an all-inclusive price. It includes all permits and materials that we will need to install. Would you like to go ahead and get this installation going? "
Interesting. I wasn't charged sales tax on mine either...I wasn't sure if he just rolled it in to the price or not.

Check tax laws...mine is a 19 SEER unit (didn't even know they went that high, partially why it was so expensive), but if you replace an AC unit with one that's above a certain efficiency level (IIRC 15 SEER), you can write off a portion of install.

So not only did I get a tax break, but my electric bills in the summer went from over $200 to barely cresting $100. Efficient AC units are no joke.
No doubt.

Last year I replaced my unit with a properly sized (the home builder went smaller on my AC than they should have), efficient unit. My bills in the summer have been $500-$700 and last year they never went over $425. Same weather patterns and use according to Nest, so this new unit made a HUGE difference over the "builder special" Carrier unit from 2001.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:57 am Email from installer

"
In the state of Michigan if we are installing something and it is a part of your property tax we do not have to charge you sales tax anymore. So to answer your question this is an all-inclusive price. It includes all permits and materials that we will need to install. Would you like to go ahead and get this installation going? "
Interesting. I wasn't charged sales tax on mine either...I wasn't sure if he just rolled it in to the price or not.

Check tax laws...mine is a 19 SEER unit (didn't even know they went that high, partially why it was so expensive), but if you replace an AC unit with one that's above a certain efficiency level (IIRC 15 SEER), you can write off a portion of install.

So not only did I get a tax break, but my electric bills in the summer went from over $200 to barely cresting $100. Efficient AC units are no joke.
I asked about the low SEER, he said in Michigan there aren't enough cooling days to make that much of a did and if you aren't installing a matching furnace is lowered the tax relief.

I still my go with a higher SEER just for the hell of it.

But yeah, 19 SEER? Amazing but maybe Overkill in the land of 6 month winter and 80 degree summer
Last edited by KYGTIGuy on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am

No doubt.

Last year I replaced my unit with a properly sized (the home builder went smaller on my AC than they should have), efficient unit. My bills in the summer have been $500-$700 and last year they never went over $425. Same weather patterns and use according to Nest, so this new unit made a HUGE difference over the "builder special" Carrier unit from 2001.
I honestly didn't think my bill would decline that much. Installer claimed it would and I just wrote it off as :yeahok: :dillerman:

But wow, it's worth spending some money on a properly sized high efficiency unit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am

I asked about the low SEER, he said in Michigan there aren't enough cooling days to make that much of a did and if you aren't installing a matching furnace is lowered the tax relief.

I still my go with a higher SEER just for the hell of it.

But yeah, 19 SEER? Amazing but maybe Overkill in the land of 6 month winter and 80 degree summer
You don't need to install a furnace for a tax break...I didn't.

Though, mine are "heat pumps" so technically they can heat in the winter too.

I had no choice other than the 19 seer unit. My house is radiant heat, so we don't have a conventional forced air duct system with an AC unit. The 19 SEER minisplit unit was the newest of the new at the time, and I wanted something future-proof so we went :waxer:

It won't pay me back, but I didn't have much choice, In your case, you probably don't need to go nuts...but we're getting hotter days here lately, so balancing budget and efficiency is a good idea.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Got the contractor coming it tonight to sign the documents.

Wife is excited to pick out finished and whatnot.

Hopeful he can pound this out
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 am Got the contractor coming it tonight to sign the documents.

Home modz can be exciting or a :fshitup: headache. Hope it's the former for you.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 am Got the contractor coming it tonight to sign the documents.

Home modz can be exciting or a :fshitup: headache. Hope it's the former for you.
Yeah thanks. This guy had done work for other doctors at my wife's clinic. Hoping that gives him some incentive. He shits the bed with us it could lose him several clients.

But I don't foresee any issues.

We are going to set some ground rules tonight about how we handle changes to the plans and how we communicate. That's were problems steam from
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Yeah thanks. This guy had done work for other doctors at my wife's clinic. Hoping that gives him some incentive. He shits the bed with us it could lose him several clients.

We are going to set some ground rules tonight about how we handle changes to the plans and how we communicate. That's were problems steam from
:lolol: on the bolded, because there are always some issues, but I'm sure with your focus on communication they will be minimal and everything will be fine.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:47 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm

:lolol: on the bolded, because there are always some issues, but I'm sure with your focus on communication they will be minimal and everything will be fine.
Issues as far as angry frustration at his work. Shit happens.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Some more stuff got wall mounted tonight. This is on the landing going from our main floor to our second floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:30 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Issues as far as angry frustration at his work. Shit happens.
:word:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Wrong thread
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Giving to take smoke before and after photos. I'm doing demo so that should be fun.

Going to head to the granite shop this weekend to pick out the to to the laundry folding table and vanity. Think we are going full on Joanna Gaines. White counters and slate floors
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am Giving to take smoke before and after photos. I'm doing demo so that should be fun.

Going to head to the granite shop this weekend to pick out the to to the laundry folding table and vanity. Think we are going full on Joanna Gaines. White counters and slate floors
I fucking love Joanna Gaines. Chip too. They're adorable.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:36 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am Giving to take smoke before and after photos. I'm doing demo so that should be fun.

She's alright but he's kind of a doofus.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:36 am

That's what I like about him. Just goofy and doesn't give a fuck, but still gets shit done.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm

That's what I like about him. Just goofy and doesn't give a fuck, but still gets shit done.
Yea that pretty much sums him up.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

The DIY deck update is complete! Put it to the test on Saturday with a house warming party too!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
The panda hath arrived.
wap

Jaxper wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:51 pm The DIY deck update is complete! Put it to the test on Saturday with a house warming party too!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
I've been following your snaps!

Man, that before pic is :disgust: , but the after is :fuckyeah:

You did a 5/7 job! Looks really nice.
wap

What's underneath that uncovered bottom riser on the right?
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:23 pm What's underneath that uncovered bottom riser on the right?
Two paver stones to support the middle of the step. It has approx 3.5 ft spread between the two stair stringers being on the corner so I just put some there to absorb the weight. Going to put some toe kicks around the bottom to hide that/keep critters out. Also, adding lattice under the railing sections for the same reason + to decorate it a bit as well as a fascia board for trim.
The panda hath arrived.
wap

Jaxper wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:23 pm What's underneath that uncovered bottom riser on the right?
Two paver stones to support the middle of the step. It has approx 3.5 ft spread between the two stair stringers being on the corner so I just put some there to absorb the weight. Going to put some toe kicks around the bottom to hide that/keep critters out. Also, adding lattice under the railing sections for the same reason + to decorate it a bit as well as a fascia board for trim.

Looks 5/7
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:37 pm
Jaxper wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Looks 5/7
Thank you!! Very happy with how it turned out - and that I don't have to continue to work on it everyday after work. That was exhausting.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Looks great Jax. I enjoyed all the snaps of the progress as well.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:43 am
Jaxper wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:43 am

Thank you!! Very happy with how it turned out - and that I don't have to continue to work on it everyday after work. That was exhausting.
How long did it take? I didn't follow the snaps.
About 50 hours personally, including an ~8 hour day with a group of 6 people. I did the tear down myself after work on Tues-Thurs one week, then a group of friends came over that Sunday and we got the main surface done. Then pretty much every free weekday evening I had after that.

Admittedly, a lot of the stuff that I did solo would have went MUCH quicker just having another person there to help stabilize things, etc.

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 am Looks great Jax. I enjoyed all the snaps of the progress as well.
Thanks!!
The panda hath arrived.