Dat Garage Thread Doe

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 am
Apex wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:31 pm

New state, new :haus:
Great, where is the move documentation?
It may have been in OT?
Zilch moving to TN to follow a dream job for Sno.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 am

Great, where is the move documentation?
Hidden deep within the bowels of DFD drivel.
I can't go there. Cliffs?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:00 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Hidden deep within the bowels of DFD drivel.
Sno got a jerb at Blackberry Farm in TN; google it, definitely worth a look.
Zilch’s jerb is 5/7 and letting him work remotely.

Zilch :haus: getting packed up and moving to the blessed lands of TN.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:00 pm

Got it. Ha ha, this forum never lets up with dat Tennessee Magic.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:09 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Looks like it’s been covered.

The south east move has been in the works for years, we just needed a reason to execute it. It gives us some needed space from family while still being gainfully employed.

We bought a house in Maryville, giving her about a 25 minute commute and a stable paycheck with amble room to grow. We’ve been vacationing in the area 1-2 times a year for the last 7 and have spent a fair amount of time in Knoxville on lots of those trips. There’s not much to not like about it - good weather, great roads, beautiful scenery..

CoL is pretty much identical to here. Slightly lower insurance rates, housing rates pretty much the same, property taxes the same, 0 state income tax, but higher sales tax. Our location has pretty much always been dependent on my job and for once we get to do something for hers.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:24 pm

Looks like it’s been covered.

The south east move has been in the works for years, we just needed a reason to execute it. It gives us some needed space from family while still being gainfully employed.

We bought a house in Maryville, giving her about a 25 minute commute and a stable paycheck with amble room to grow. We’ve been vacationing in the area 1-2 times a year for the last 7 and have spent a fair amount of time in Knoxville on lots of those trips. There’s not much to not like about it - good weather, great roads, beautiful scenery..

CoL is pretty much identical to here. Slightly lower insurance rates, housing rates pretty much the same, property taxes the same, 0 state income tax, but higher sales tax. Our location has pretty much always been dependent on my job and for once we get to do something for hers.
Sounds fantastic! Congrats!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Blackberry Farms is :fancy: AF.
Wow, that website is epic. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 am
4zilch wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:33 am Resurrecting an old :bread:

Garage in the new haus (20x23) is slightly smaller than my current (24x24) - but at least I don’t have to work around a service door and the floor is already sealed. Storage is a concern - I’ve got 2 yuge storage racks currently and a large workbench. In the new garage I’m probably going to have to downsize the workbench and will be limited to 1 storage rack. Any pro tips on space saving storage, what things are people using these days?
First: you need a shed for lawn stuff and longer term storage.

Second, echo everything that's been said, use the vertical space. Workbench on wheels is great for me. Keep shit off the floor as much as practical. If you can afford it, wall mounted cabinets from am old kitchen help with this if you plan to park cars in it.
Did you buy or make your rolling workbench? I'm pretty set on one for my garage, just need to decide what.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 am

First: you need a shed for lawn stuff and longer term storage.

Second, echo everything that's been said, use the vertical space. Workbench on wheels is great for me. Keep shit off the floor as much as practical. If you can afford it, wall mounted cabinets from am old kitchen help with this if you plan to park cars in it.
Did you buy or make your rolling workbench? I'm pretty set on one for my garage, just need to decide what.
Bought. I got a gladiator workbench and fit some high quality castor's on it. Makes it mobile and and makes it comfortable working height for our tall asses. Don't be cheap and do 2 fixed and two swivel castor's here, get 4 swivel locking ones. I mounted a vice to it and it's SUPER functional
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 am
Bought. I got a gladiator workbench and fit some high quality castor's on it. Makes it mobile and and makes it comfortable working height for our tall asses. Don't be cheap and do 2 fixed and two swivel castor's here, get 4 swivel locking ones. I mounted a vice to it and it's SUPER functional
:amazing:

Will absolutely look into this. I'm :troywax: on the garage and might as well make the interior just as nice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Husky (home depot), has a nice mobile adjustable height workbench that I'm keeping my eyes on.

I really want a stainless top on my next workbench as the majority of my benchtop work involves oils and chemicals. I may try to eliminate my top chest buy installing a pegboard for combo wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc. then consolidate whatever's left into my mobile/trackday box and my roller.

Trying to find a smart way to store/mount my drill press and bench grinder will be a bit of challenge and I may mount my vice to it's own stand.

I've got a decent amount of attic/cubby hole/bonus room space in the haus that I may try to move motorcycle part storage into those areas.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 am

Will absolutely look into this. I'm :troywax: on the garage and might as well make the interior just as nice.
Yeah there is absolutely no point in building a Garage Mahal and then furnishing it with Rent A Center.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 am

Yeah there is absolutely no point in building a Garage Mahal and then furnishing it with Rent A Center.
Yep. Spend 2-3k on nice benches and cabinets toolbox.

Spend 5 or 6 on a lift.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

3 car garage incoming. :excited:

Not sure how soon I'll be starting on garage projects, but I'm pretty pumped. Now I'll just need a 3rd car to put in there. :hubba:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:00 pm 3 car garage incoming. :excited:

Not sure how soon I'll be starting on garage projects, but I'm pretty pumped. Now I'll just need a 3rd car to put in there. :hubba:
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Yep. Spend 2-3k on nice benches and cabinets toolbox.

Spend 5 or 6 on a lift.
I got a line on a 4-post lift for $2k. Pretty excited about that, but we'll see if it pans out. No, I don't want a 2-post...I've thought about it a lot, and since it's used primarily for storage, I want as much floorspace open as possible to park under. I can just see :tits: parking in the garage and swinging the door of the :jeep: right into the 2-post lift post.

I really need to start looking at things. Agreed with Zilch on the stainless top workbench.

Right now I'm thinking I'd like a rolling workbench with some nice tall cabinets for storage. I have a massive toolbox, so that's squared away.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I'm :wrong: but I don't like working on a metal bench. I liked my double layer of OSB better and treated the top as sacrificial, though I didn't actually have to replace it over the course of 5 years. Maybe 10 years per top?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:46 pm I'm :wrong: but I don't like working on a metal bench. I liked my double layer of OSB better and treated the top as sacrificial, though I didn't actually have to replace it over the course of 5 years. Maybe 10 years per top?
Legit curious as to why.

I've never had a metal bench, but find the cleaning of wood to be annoying/impossible, especially when I'm working on oily and/or painting things.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

It's softer (doesn't transmit vibrations as much when you use an impact/hammer) and stuff doesn't slide/roll all over the place as much. I don't really clean it, just wipe it off ZFG. Metal will get scratched all to hell anyway, so neither is going to look pretty.

You might care more about stuff getting slightly dirty :doe: from whatever is embedded in the top. I don't work on :fancy: :pinshit:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:46 pm I'm :wrong: but I don't like working on a metal bench. I liked my double layer of OSB better and treated the top as sacrificial, though I didn't actually have to replace it over the course of 5 years. Maybe 10 years per top?
Legit curious as to why.

I've never had a metal bench, but find the cleaning of wood to be annoying/impossible, especially when I'm working on oily and/or painting things.
:dat:

I’m most often working on carburetors and brake components on the bench top. Being able to quickly and easily clean up spills from those components and their cleaning products is really nice & having a clean surface to work from mitigates some debris contamination.

And yeah, my current osb worktop has served me well over the last 10+ years. I just know for things that I’m working on, stainless is a better option
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I’ve been doing a fair amount of research on garage storage options. I’m vacillating somewhere between full :troywax: :wasteful: :waxer: and a piecemeal DIY option.

NewAge products seems to be pretty well reviewed and is somewhere in the middle of the road in terms of cost depending on which product line you go with. Regardless, they offer free design services. I filled out a simple form and told them I what I was looking for ..like a stainless workbench :triggered: .., provided a few images and my garage layout/dimensions...

I received a design and a quote in about 2 business days. Roughly $5700 (including tax and shipping). I definitely like the overhead storage and cabinets for all the things. There’s a few things I’d like change, like deleting the middle cabinet under the workbench and possibly the wall board (I already have a system for that). It’s a lot of money, so I’m starting to research alternative options...particularly if I can get in around $5k with installation..

ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 am I’ve been doing a fair amount of research on garage storage options. I’m vacillating somewhere between full :troywax: :wasteful: :waxer: and a piecemeal DIY option.

NewAge products seems to be pretty well reviewed and is somewhere in the middle of the road in terms of cost depending on which product line you go with. Regardless, they offer free design services. I filled out a simple form and told them I what I was looking for ..like a stainless workbench :triggered: .., provided a few images and my garage layout/dimensions...

I received a design and a quote in about 2 business days. Roughly $5700 (including tax and shipping). I definitely like the overhead storage and cabinets for all the things. There’s a few things I’d like change, like deleting the middle cabinet under the workbench and possibly the wall board (I already have a system for that). It’s a lot of money, so I’m starting to research alternative options...particularly if I can get in around $5k with installation..

Costco sells newage stuff and they have a set on sale for black friday I'm thinking about picking up

$400 off this, making it $1,300. Would do most of what I want for the price.
https://www.costco.com/newage-products- ... 47326.html
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am
4zilch wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 am I’ve been doing a fair amount of research on garage storage options. I’m vacillating somewhere between full :troywax: :wasteful: :waxer: and a piecemeal DIY option.

Costco sells newage stuff and they have a set on sale for black friday I'm thinking about picking up

:neat:

I wish I could find a display that compared the bold vs. pro series. Outside of the dimensions (pro series cabinets are 24" deep vs 18" for the bold). I understand the bold used thinner gauge steel, but I'd like to know what that actually feels like.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am

:neat:

I wish I could find a display that compared the bold vs. pro series. Outside of the dimensions (pro series cabinets are 24" deep vs 18" for the bold). I understand the bold used thinner gauge steel, but I'd like to know what that actually feels like.
I personally :aintcare: because I don't need anything THAT robust for my use.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am Costco sells newage stuff and they have a set on sale for black friday I'm thinking about picking up

That looks seriously :notbad:. Are these on the display in the store? Wouldn't mind going to check it out.