Tiny Houses

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 pm

That's where you are wrong my friend. For all you hipsters out there who think you are buying an efficient "tiny house" and minimizing your footprint upon the earth, look yourself in the mirror and say "I AM BUYING A FUCKING TRAILER. ONLY WITH HORRIBLE AERODYNAMICS. To celebrate the purchase of my trailer, I will head to the 7-11 and get a case of Keystone Ice and carton of Marlboros."
I want it in addition to a real house to add to my :dedong: footprint and do some cool traveling. I like the RV life.
I could never have both; hotels are too cheap.

I could convince myself a tear-drop might get used, doe. Or a home-built thing big enough for a bike but with bed, ac, etc.
brain go brrrrrr
Husbrandon
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: your mom

I have seen a lot of them built on steel double axle trailers. Still classified as a camper.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I want it in addition to a real house to add to my :dedong: footprint and do some cool traveling. I like the RV life.
I could never have both; hotels are too cheap.

I could convince myself a tear-drop might get used, doe. Or a home-built thing big enough for a bike but with bed, ac, etc.
The stuff built on a pickup bed is cool. Small enough to park anywhere but still have a bed, kitchen, and little sitting area.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

If I were :waxer: , I'd buy an Airstream Basecamp in a second.

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am If I were :waxer: , I'd buy an Airstream Basecamp in a second.

That's :tits:

How much are they and what's the weight? It would be great to tow it with something fun like a Corvette, SS, maybe even a WranGAYler could be cool.

Problem is, there's really no point until retirement, I don't see how I could have enough time to enjoy something like that, makes a lot more sense to just camp/airBNB/hotel.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am If I were :waxer: , I'd buy an Airstream Basecamp in a second.

How much are they and what's the weight? It would be great to tow it with something fun like a Corvette, SS, maybe even a WranGAYler could be cool.

Problem is, there's really no point until retirement, I don't see how I could have enough time to enjoy something like that, makes a lot more sense to just camp/airBNB/hotel.
It came out last year, and I looked into it heavily. They start at like $20k, but they're light...intended to be towed behind crossovers, etc. Doubt a Corvette could do it, but maybe?

We camp A LOT...but $20k buys a ton of AirBNB's. Plus, we have our tent setup down pat at this point, so it just doesn't make any sense for us.

If money wasn't a thing, I'd have a ZR2 and tow this behind it, doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 am

It came out last year, and I looked into it heavily. They start at like $20k, but they're light...intended to be towed behind crossovers, etc. Doubt a Corvette could do it, but maybe?

We camp A LOT...but $20k buys a ton of AirBNB's. Plus, we have our tent setup down pat at this point, so it just doesn't make any sense for us.

If money wasn't a thing, I'd have a ZR2 and tow this behind it, doe.
if you are :waxer: enough for a 20-25k camper such as this, installing trailer brakes on the towvette and the rear axle of this is really the key to towing it. And seeing if you can get the tongue weight correct, of course.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

That Airstream is :tits: but you can get a nice tear-drop for way less. If I had some place to put one, I'd get a tear drop. Can tow behind smaller vehicles, would be awesome behind a WranGAYler.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

We've thought about a teardrop as well. Problem is storage.

We've never had an issue with our tent.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 am We've thought about a teardrop as well. Problem is storage.

We've never had an issue with our tent.
I feel we need to start a camping thread again.
:makeitso:

Sue and I are heading out to Gettysburg on Saturday to check out the campground there.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 am
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 am

:makeitso:

Sue and I are heading out to Gettysburg on Saturday to check out the campground there.
http://www.datforumdoe.com/forum/viewto ... f=11&t=343
:hue:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

http://tinyhouseswoon.com/acacia/

this is a cool design
brain go brrrrrr
Caspian
сибирский
Drives: Horse and wagon

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 am Utility trailer camper idea... :notbad:

Legitimate way to disappear and go off the grid for cheap.
I used to do the toy hauler thing for a few seasons at the dunes, 8-10 times each season. Burned a lot of fuel during those times, it was a fun lifestyle but my carbon footprint was larger than a sasquatchs'. Of course one could live modestly in a camper without the ATV's or dirt bikes, or other fuel powered toys, but with a camper you still need a water and sewage system, and to dump & clean tanks on a regular basis.

Going off grid is something that has appealed to me for a few years now specifically using solar and wind, and possibly water power as well. I would like to find a community of farmers, kind of a private community that all chip in and farm food and live sustainable. I look at all these people today in the car world and motorcycle world, power boats, airplanes, motorsports, etc, and I think, how stupid are these people, they are all seeing who can use up the planets resources the fastest. I love cars and bikes, boats, etc but to me they are now an obsolete "technology" that is being heavily controlled and forced upon mankind for the profit of the corporate industries. :neek:
:themoreyouknow:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Caspian wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:53 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:38 am Utility trailer camper idea... :notbad:

I used to do the toy hauler thing for a few seasons at the dunes, 8-10 times each season. Burned a lot of fuel during those times, it was a fun lifestyle but my carbon footprint was larger than a sasquatchs'. Of course one could live modestly in a camper without the ATV's or dirt bikes, or other fuel powered toys, but with a camper you still need a water and sewage system, and to dump & clean tanks on a regular basis.

Going off grid is something that has appealed to me for a few years now specifically using solar and wind, and possibly water power as well. I would like to find a community of farmers, kind of a private community that all chip in and farm food and live sustainable. I look at all these people today in the car world and motorcycle world, power boats, airplanes, motorsports, etc, and I think, how stupid are these people, they are all seeing who can use up the planets resources the fastest. I love cars and bikes, boats, etc but to me they are now an obsolete "technology" that is being heavily controlled and forced upon mankind for the profit of the corporate industries. :neek:
:wtf: :caspian: :gtfo:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'd weld together two to six shipping crates for next to nothing as my start point and put it where it doesn't need to move. It can get built in modules and shipped easily, then fastened/welded together on site.

Here's a picture of one built from three. Image

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 am I'd weld together two to six shipping crates for next to nothing as my start point and put it where it doesn't need to move. It can get built in modules and shipped easily, then fastened/welded together on site.

looks like a render. Shipping containers have low ceilings and are not really good design for small spaces.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 am I'd weld together two to six shipping crates for next to nothing as my start point and put it where it doesn't need to move. It can get built in modules and shipped easily, then fastened/welded together on site.

looks like a render. Shipping containers have low ceilings and are not really good design for small spaces.
Check these out! Built up the inside in a way that the containers can be separated, close up the cut outs and ship these anywhere you want, then bolt them back together and add accessories like awnings and decks. :iono:ImageImageImageImage
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 am

:wat:

8'+ ceilings, breh. That's plenty high.
You can get them for cheap, like $300. And thy are designed to stack five high so putting four (two by two) together and cutting the floor/ceiling out of an area gets you 16ft. I would build this if I had some land to camp on.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 am

:wat:

8'+ ceilings, breh. That's plenty high.
from a strictly practical consideration sure, but a key to making small spaces feel bigger than they are is higher ceilings.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Check these out! Built up the inside in a way that the containers can be separated, close up the cut outs and ship these anywhere you want, then bolt them back together and add accessories like awnings and decks. :iono:ImageImageImageImage
thats good and all. and I use to love the idea of shipping container homes. But its not cost effective, as its marketed. Even if you got the containers for FREE, the build out, retrofit, metal fab and actual shipping make them a luxury of design effort. Not cost effective. So why not just build a nice small thing with traditional/cheap materials?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:36 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am

from a strictly practical consideration sure, but a key to making small spaces feel bigger than they are is higher ceilings.
:bruh:

We're talking tiny houses here. Ceilings higher than 8-9' are a waste.
ok, you do you.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:04 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 am

ok, you do you.
Unless you're lofting a bedroom, then it makes total sense.

But: :sass:
:lolol: :like: :koolaid:
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Caspian wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:53 am

:sass:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.