The House that Luck Built

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Murica!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 pm
Bender wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Resale? Whats that? :derp: :sass:
Resale is when you start making major dick swinger money and form the erroneous belief that what you thought was a nice house for all those years is really just a peasant hovel and OMG need to upgrade or kill yourself.
:impressive:
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

Detroit
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Bender wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Resale is when you start making major dick swinger money and form the erroneous belief that what you thought was a nice house for all those years is really just a peasant hovel and OMG need to upgrade or kill yourself.
Only a matter of time, breh.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Bender wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:16 pm
Brainstorming...

Basement whiskey storage room.

The three walls in grey are existing...

So you're planning on building the yellow walls?
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 pm

And seriously, if there's any way to get the wine storage on the concrete basement walls, it's worth it, IMO.
Desertbreh wrote:

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:
Bender wrote:

I truly can't imagine it. We will have more kids, we are in an amazing school district, Dr.Mrs. will need some cash to start her own practice soon. Totally possible but we already have over 4000 squares if you include the finished part of the basement and the three seasons room. Its possible, but I dont see it happening.

troyguitar
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Screaming Dorito

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Bender wrote:
Detroit wrote:

I truly can't imagine it. We will have more kids, we are in an amazing school district, Dr.Mrs. will need some cash to start her own practice soon. Totally possible but we already have over 4000 squares if you include the finished part of the basement and the three seasons room. Its possible, but I dont see it happening.
You're rich. You'll get richer. That's how this works.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Detroit wrote:
And seriously, if there's any way to get the wine storage on the concrete basement walls, it's worth it, IMO.
Correct - and either installing a door in the furthest left grey wall OR removing it completely for a larger entry.

The grey walls besides the farthest left are bare concrete right now - its a tossup. I would prefer a more finished look but your reasoning is very solid.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:07 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:05 pm
Bender wrote:

You're rich. You'll get richer. That's how this works.
I already am richer than I was when we bought this place two years ago, I just don't think I want to use my funds to leave here.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 pm

For perspectiveImage

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Bender wrote:
Detroit wrote:
Correct - and either installing a door in the furthest left grey wall OR removing it completely for a larger entry.

The grey walls besides the farthest left are bare concrete right now - its a tossup. I would prefer a more finished look but your reasoning is very solid.
You can do a more finished look, but I'd keep climate a consideration. Wine likes to sit between 50 and 70...the closer to 50 the better. Maybe just seal the concrete and do thin drywall directly over on thin furring strips? Then the drywall would probably stay near the same temp. You just don't want to insulate...but you DO want to insulate from heat (in the winter). Ours backs up to the small boiler room, and I insulated the wall between the boiler and the wine room to keep it cool when the boiler is running in the winter.
Desertbreh wrote:

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Detroit wrote:
Bender wrote:

You can do a more finished look, but I'd keep climate a consideration. Wine likes to sit between 50 and 70...the closer to 50 the better. Maybe just seal the concrete and do thin drywall directly over on thin furring strips? Then the drywall would probably stay near the same temp. You just don't want to insulate...but you DO want to insulate from heat (in the winter). Ours backs up to the small boiler room, and I insulated the wall between the boiler and the wine room to keep it cool when the boiler is running in the winter.
The basement holds temp really well - pretty much 65 year round. If anything I will have to cool it in the summer.

Great idea with furring strips. I really like that plan. Also saves me from building more frames.

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Bender wrote:
For perspectiveImage
See, I'd do wine all along the concrete there. With poured concrete, you could probably paint it with sealer and make it look pretty danged finished. Could maybe even grind it smooth? I was amazed by how finished our block looked with sealer. The other option would be to maybe tile the wall...could look really neat/unique.
Desertbreh wrote:

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Bender wrote:
Detroit wrote:

The basement holds temp really well - pretty much 65 year round. If anything I will have to cool it in the summer.

Great idea with furring strips. I really like that plan. Also saves me from building more frames.
Most basements do...and especially right on the wall. If you set it up right, you won't need to do much if any HVAC.

Dehumidifier really, but you should already have one of those down there.
Desertbreh wrote:

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 pm
Bender wrote:

Most basements do...and especially right on the wall. If you set it up right, you won't need to do much if any HVAC.

Dehumidifier really, but you should already have one of those down there.
Yup thats what the hose is. It is set too low for cork quality right now but I can adjust that going foward.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:
Bender wrote:
For perspectiveImage
See, I'd do wine all along the concrete there. With poured concrete, you could probably paint it with sealer and make it look pretty danged finished. Could maybe even grind it smooth? I was amazed by how finished our block looked with sealer. The other option would be to maybe tile the wall...could look really neat/unique.
Could i do stone tile right on the wall?

Apex
Drives: TrukYeah!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Bender wrote:
Detroit wrote:

What about staining the wall? Didn't :melon: stain concrete floors and they came out 5/7?

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Apex wrote:
Bender wrote:

What about staining the wall? Didn't :melon: stain concrete floors and they came out 5/7?
Well i definitely want at least one section of stone - if i don't need to put green behind it that is 5/7.

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Bender wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Our old house in Detroit had a mix of ceramic and stone tile on the walls in the basement...original to the house in the 1930's. Looked great 80 years later.

I'd be selective about what you buy and what you use to install. It would have to be able to handle moisture FROM BEHIND, but maybe you seal the concrete first then tile? I don't see why it wouldn't work with some research and prep.
Desertbreh wrote:

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Apex wrote:
Bender wrote:

Now there's an idea. The challenge would be polishing it. To get the right effect, you'd want to polish the concrete like :melon: Most concrete polishers are heavy...not sure how they'd work on a wall.
Desertbreh wrote:

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote:
Bender wrote:

Our old house in Detroit had a mix of ceramic and stone tile on the walls in the basement...original to the house in the 1930's. Looked great 80 years later.

I'd be selective about what you buy and what you use to install. It would have to be able to handle moisture FROM BEHIND, but maybe you seal the concrete first then tile? I don't see why it wouldn't work with some research and prep.
Thats the ticket. There is NO evidence those walls have ever seen moisture but its easy to seal it anyway.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 pm

I do have to check the floor pitch - seems flat as a board but certainly possible that it isn't. If it isn't I will get the floors stained and polished. If it is then I will probably do ceramic wood style tiles and an area rug.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm

MOST of the storage will be whiskey but there will be a decent amount of wine for sure.

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Bender wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Thats the ticket. There is NO evidence those walls have ever seen moisture but its easy to seal it anyway.
Doesn't matter. Feel the wall in the spring as the ground thaws...it'll be a bit moist. You want to seal that...which most block/concrete sealer will do. The thing is, I'm not sure you can tile over it...but it's worth researching, IMO.
Desertbreh wrote:

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Bender wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm
MOST of the storage will be whiskey but there will be a decent amount of wine for sure.
You'll probably up your wine collection with income and storage capacity.
Desertbreh wrote:

Detroit

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Bender wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 pm
I do have to check the floor pitch - seems flat as a board but certainly possible that it isn't. If it isn't I will get the floors stained and polished. If it is then I will probably do ceramic wood style tiles and an area rug.
Solid plan. I would be surprised if it wasn't pitched at all. Might be minor enough to take tile, doe.
Desertbreh wrote:

• Information