Energy Thread: Electricity Edition

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Our power company invited me to a pilot program where they send you a device that allows you to keep track of energy use in real time. I just got the box on Friday and hooked it up over the weekend. It works through an app on my phone, and it's pretty amazing. Turn on any electric device, and you can see how much power it's using within a second or two of turning it on. This is particularly useful for keeping track of the efficiency of the heat pumps, but it's amazing how much power those pinshit incandescent edison bulbs eat. Or the dishwasher during the "heat dry" cycle. Hell, I made coffee using our electric kettle this morning and saw a significant spike.

Our steady state power usage is between 0.1 and 0.3 kW, I assume that's random stuff plugged in charging, etc but I'm going to see what it takes to get it near zero.

Anyone else have something like this or keep track of usage?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:43 am
Detroit wrote:Our power company invited me to a pilot program where they send you a device that allows you to keep track of energy use in real time. I just got the box on Friday and hooked it up over the weekend. It works through an app on my phone, and it's pretty amazing. Turn on any electric device, and you can see how much power it's using within a second or two of turning it on. This is particularly useful for keeping track of the efficiency of the heat pumps, but it's amazing how much power those pinshit incandescent edison bulbs eat. Or the dishwasher during the "heat dry" cycle. Hell, I made coffee using our electric kettle this morning and saw a significant spike.

Our steady state power usage is between 0.1 and 0.3 kW, I assume that's random stuff plugged in charging, etc but I'm going to see what it takes to get it near zero.

Does it send info back to the utility?

I'd love to check something like this out.
I'm sure they can see it since it goes through their system. The app collects data so you can monitor past usage and watch trends. I'm curious to see how closely the app matches my bill...it better be exact or :rage:

They call it an "Energy Bridge", maybe your company is doing the same?

https://newlook.dteenergy.com/wps/wcm/c ... dge-device
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:ohdang:

This is legit interesting.

I wish I had it before the flood, with CFL and Incandescent bulbs, electric range and stove, and older A/C to compare it now with all LED lights, new A/C and gas appliances.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

So far today. The spike at 7 was the electric kettle.

Here's yesterday. Those spikes at noon is the heat pump in the kitchen cycling on and off. That evening, we had the dishwasher running and a bunch of lights on with friends over. I installed the box yesterday morning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ChrisoftheNorth

Yes, I suck at taking screen shots with my phone. Can't do it without the volume thing popping up. :rolleyes: :wap: :|
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Ours doesn't have that level of detail but it's similar. IIRC it's broken up by hour.

Electric heat costs big money. Pretty much everything else uses very little power in comparison. I did get mostly LED bulbs and set my PCs to automatically go to sleep instead of being on 24/7, but the impact was small.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

TIL turning things on uses power

It would be nice to have a gauge right next to the front door with a green area so you can quickly see if something is amiss and turn it off before leaving. GF leaves the basement lights on all the damn time.

HVAC, electric cooking stuff, electric water heaters, and TV will probably be the top consumers in peoples' homes.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 am Ours doesn't have that level of detail but it's similar. IIRC it's broken up by hour.

Electric heat costs big money. Pretty much everything else uses very little power in comparison. I did get mostly LED bulbs and set my PCs to automatically go to sleep instead of being on 24/7, but the impact was small.
Yea, anyone can get the breakdown by hour, but it's a day delayed. This real-time thing is pretty cool.

The electric heat isn't as bad for us because we can control each room individually. One room unit seems to take ~2kW when it's running, and it only runs every 5 minutes or so. If we had every room on, it would be :disgust:

I'm really curious to see how A/C is. I suspect it's about the same as heat?
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm surprised how much incandescent bulbs use vs LED. I knew the math behind it, but to see the different in real time is pretty :impressive:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dang, electric heat in the north. I have gas forced air, it's legit.
In the winter (all 4 days of it) I'm :aintcare: with my electric bill.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I like this thread.
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 am Our power company invited me to a pilot program where they send you a device that allows you to keep track of energy use in real time. I just got the box on Friday and hooked it up over the weekend. It works through an app on my phone, and it's pretty amazing. Turn on any electric device, and you can see how much power it's using within a second or two of turning it on. This is particularly useful for keeping track of the efficiency of the heat pumps, but it's amazing how much power those pinshit incandescent edison bulbs eat. Or the dishwasher during the "heat dry" cycle. Hell, I made coffee using our electric kettle this morning and saw a significant spike.

Entergy has a smart meter that can do something similar, but its resolution is 15 minutes. I had it at old house; not sure about new. will check.

RE:pin shit edison bulbs.

BREH, go led. teh costco haz. or teh amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CMYK-Dimmable-Sq ... CY319&th=1

we have them everywhere, they look the part and run very cool and burn almost no power.

In the northeren D the heat output of you pinshit light is a no nevermind in winter, but in summer....
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:27 am Dang, electric heat in the north. I have gas forced air, it's legit.
In the winter (all 4 days of it) I'm :aintcare: with my electric bill.
Well, we still have our gas-fired thomas the tank engine boiler heat system. The problem is, when it's above 40 outside, the boiler short cycles and makes it grumpy. The A/C mini split system we put in also does heat, so we run those in whatever room we're in when it's between 40 and 60 degrees outside.

Crazy thing, these heat pumps will produce heat below 0 outside. No idea how, but we've confirmed when it was -3 a month or so ago the heat pumps were still hot. Ridiculously inefficient, but they worked.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am I like this thread.
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 am Our power company invited me to a pilot program where they send you a device that allows you to keep track of energy use in real time. I just got the box on Friday and hooked it up over the weekend. It works through an app on my phone, and it's pretty amazing. Turn on any electric device, and you can see how much power it's using within a second or two of turning it on. This is particularly useful for keeping track of the efficiency of the heat pumps, but it's amazing how much power those pinshit incandescent edison bulbs eat. Or the dishwasher during the "heat dry" cycle. Hell, I made coffee using our electric kettle this morning and saw a significant spike.

Entergy has a smart meter that can do something similar, but its resolution is 15 minutes. I had it at old house; not sure about new. will check.

we have them everywhere, they look the part and run very cool and burn almost no power.

In the northeren D the heat output of you pinshit light is a no nevermind in winter, but in summer....
Agreed on the heat from incandescent lights.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That makes sense, IDK how I forgot about your boiler.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am I like this thread.

The only incandescent pinshit bulbs we have are ones that came with the fixtures. All the others are LED ones that work 5/7. I don't think I'd make the money back replacing the bulbs, but when they burn out they'll absolutely be replaced with LED. We have very few regular incandescent bulbs left in the house. I have a stock of LEDs I bought at Costco in the basement and replace them as they die.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: 's a steal.

My house will be 100% LED. :fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 am https://www.amazon.com/CMYK-Dimmable-Sq ... CY319&th=1

100% LED is my end goal.

Costco seems to sell bulbs for around the same price. :iono:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Detroit wrote:
Melon wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 am https://www.amazon.com/CMYK-Dimmable-Sq ... CY319&th=1

100% LED is my end goal.

Costco seems to sell bulbs for around the same price. :iono:
As stuff burns out it gets switched to led.

Sent from the beer depository

:therapist:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah the price of LED is constantly dropping. Costco seems to have the best in-store pricing for grab and go the same day. Amazon is really good on pricing as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, it's amazing how quickly LED prices have been dropping. Eventually, it might reach the point where I can justify replacing good bulbs with LED.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 am Yea, it's amazing how quickly LED prices have been dropping. Eventually, it might reach the point where I can justify replacing good bulbs with LED.
if you already have them all you are literally wasting money :notsure:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 am Ours doesn't have that level of detail but it's similar. IIRC it's broken up by hour.

Yea, anyone can get the breakdown by hour, but it's a day delayed. This real-time thing is pretty cool.

The electric heat isn't as bad for us because we can control each room individually. One room unit seems to take ~2kW when it's running, and it only runs every 5 minutes or so. If we had every room on, it would be :disgust:

AC is cheap in comparison. Our highest summer electric bill when it was 90 every day was like $160. Highest winter bill is over $400.

Think about it: Even at 90F you only are looking for a 20 degree delta to cool to 70F. Heating from 30F is a 40 degree delta... double the difference.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 am
Detroit wrote: Yea, anyone can get the breakdown by hour, but it's a day delayed. This real-time thing is pretty cool.

AC is cheap in comparison. Our highest summer electric bill when it was 90 every day was like $160. Highest winter bill is over $400.

Think about it: Even at 90F you only are looking for a 20 degree delta to cool to 70F. Heating from 30F is a 40 degree delta... double the difference.
Oh, really good point. I've never thought of it like that.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 am
Detroit wrote: Yea, anyone can get the breakdown by hour, but it's a day delayed. This real-time thing is pretty cool.

yea but you have a ~30% efficiency on a carnot heat pump vs. 100% efficiency with electric heating.

Yes the higher delta does eat your lunch in many cases, but its not a fair 1:1 comparision.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 am AC is cheap in comparison. Our highest summer electric bill when it was 90 every day was like $160. Highest winter bill is over $400.

yea but you have a ~30% efficiency on a carnot heat pump vs. 100% efficiency with electric heating.

Yes the higher delta does eat your lunch in many cases, but its not a fair 1:1 comparision.
The bills don't lie. In real world use, heating is 3x the cost of cooling unless you live in a place with no winter.