Homelessness Discussion thread

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote:Positives:
Everyone deserves to at least have a safe place to be. People don't realize this, but homeless people sleeping on the street get the shit kicked out of them nightly, they get robbed, they get assaulted, harassed, and sometimes killed. Tiny home villages like the one this dude is trying to make would at least provide a secure sleeping spot for these people.

Negatives:
Troy mentioned not built to code. Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't want to be on the defending end of a lawsuit from someone saying the sanitation conditions were inadequate and they got sick because of it. Code states you need running water, warm water, heat, and a light bulb. He has the light but he's missing all the sanitary stuff that people need in a place that they're living. Now imagine you have 20-30 of these little box huts in a group on a vacant lot. It sounds all well and good, but soon it turns into a trash heap that smells like piss and shit because they're literally shitting on the ground right next to the house. Who is cleaning this up? Who maintains these buildings? Who prevents them from falling down and killing someone after 15 years of being beat to shit?

Now. Maybe the city needs to realize that people are willing to back this with their own money, and they can drastically reduce the cost of their housing program. Residents source/build the houses, the city comes in with a bathroom facility, and the local taxes help pay for the clean up and maintenance. BUT. That requires a housing program, people to watch it, manage it, etc.

Sounds like this guy should be looking at a way to open a non-profit that supplies the sanitary facilities but crowd funds / crowd builds the homes. Which is basically what's happening in Detroit...
https://casscommunity.org/
A non profit making homes that are up to code.
you make a lot of the good points the city would use.

lets forget codes for a second. codes make shit expensive.

Yes, sanation is an issue. potential solution: bathhouse. Still better than what they do now, use public restrooms and piss/shit on the street.

Running water: not a NEED for shelter IMHO.

Light: not a NEED for basic shelter.

Heat: not a NEED in LA.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 pm Positives:
Everyone deserves to at least have a safe place to be. People don't realize this, but homeless people sleeping on the street get the shit kicked out of them nightly, they get robbed, they get assaulted, harassed, and sometimes killed. Tiny home villages like the one this dude is trying to make would at least provide a secure sleeping spot for these people.

Negatives:
Troy mentioned not built to code. Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't want to be on the defending end of a lawsuit from someone saying the sanitation conditions were inadequate and they got sick because of it. Code states you need running water, warm water, heat, and a light bulb. He has the light but he's missing all the sanitary stuff that people need in a place that they're living. Now imagine you have 20-30 of these little box huts in a group on a vacant lot. It sounds all well and good, but soon it turns into a trash heap that smells like piss and shit because they're literally shitting on the ground right next to the house. Who is cleaning this up? Who maintains these buildings? Who prevents them from falling down and killing someone after 15 years of being beat to shit?

Now. Maybe the city needs to realize that people are willing to back this with their own money, and they can drastically reduce the cost of their housing program. Residents source/build the houses, the city comes in with a bathroom facility, and the local taxes help pay for the clean up and maintenance. BUT. That requires a housing program, people to watch it, manage it, etc.

Sounds like this guy should be looking at a way to open a non-profit that supplies the sanitary facilities but crowd funds / crowd builds the homes. Which is basically what's happening in Detroit...
https://casscommunity.org/
A non profit making homes that are up to code.
with this warehouse fire that was in the news. I was working in the architecture firm when the news broke.

they were just appalled that the code people didn't shut it down.

people looking for a law suit. AGAIN, not enough personal accountability. Codes exist for the common good, but you should be able to to more or less do as you please and if you die, well, that was on you. You didnt follow safety guide lines.

OHH but you cant expect every :millennial: to know what is safe and know building science.

:rolleyes:

bitch please, when you have to scale a stack of wood pallets to go up, you know that "artists" loft aint the safest place to be.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

You roll dice with informal shit. Fire hazard? Yeah, probably so. Safer than sleeping on sidewalk? Probably so.

Safe/secure, code compliant, dirt cheap. - pick 2.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:11 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:it just blows my mind that such a simple obvios solution like this is overlooked. they talk about the danger of them, but compared to what? sleeping on the fucking street?
But they're not built to code breh.

Lawyers gonna lawyer and ruin everything for everyone as usual... right, desert?
The ruination will come when the city sanctions the existence of the housing, some injury befalls a "resident" and then some clever lawyers sue the city for the negligent manner in which they have "provided" services. Which I agree is fucked up.

The homeless situation troubles me greatly....so many facets.

1. People who live month to month and lose their jobs and get evicted with no support system/family to lean on.
2. People who are homeless by virtue of addiction issues.
3. People who are homeless because of mental health issues.
4. People who choose to be homeless because they like it.

2 and 3 are incredibly difficult and expensive to combat. I would personally devote every last dime of my philanthropy $, as little as it is, to helping with 1. Guys in group 4 can get rounded up and shipped to central Nevada for all I care.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 am

Lawyers gonna lawyer and ruin everything for everyone as usual... right, desert?
The ruination will come when the city sanctions the existence of the housing, some injury befalls a "resident" and then some clever lawyers sue the city for the negligent manner in which they have "provided" services. Which I agree is fucked up.

1. People who live month to month and lose their jobs and get evicted with no support system/family to lean on.

2 and 3 are incredibly difficult and expensive to combat. I would personally devote every last dime of my philanthropy $, as little as it is, to helping with 1. Guys in group 4 can get rounded up and shipped to central Nevada for all I care.
:dat: :dat: :dat: and :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

#1 is the reason my GFs coffee shop exists.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Most of us on this forum are lucky to have some sort of backstop for the shit really hitting the fan. Would be be embarrassed to use it? Yeah, but it's there. Having a few hundred bucks between you and street is tough duty and I empathize with some situations where people just don't make it sometimes.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

deets on coffee shop? I really don't understand how a non profit that sells coffee helps the homeless.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:34 pm

deets on coffee shop? I really don't understand how a non profit that sells coffee helps the homeless.
They hire people who "don't deserve" jobs.
Johnny_P

Not so much helps the homeless, but many of the people they help are homeless or do not have stable housing.

The non-profit she runs helps former foster youth. So people that have aged out of foster care. Many end up homeless, jobless, and hopeless. The shop provides them with a job, but they also get a few hours a week of case manager time to help with any sort of issues they're having (friend died, can't balance a checkbook, can't get out of debt, where to go in life, etc), and the managers all give them a ton of slack on things like showing up late for work, or doing something incorrectly on the job, etc and get coached through it. They're also given bus passes so they can get to work. I've seen people go through the system with zero forms of government issued ID (no DL, birth certificate, SS card, etc), no housing, no money for food, no friends or family they can trust, debt (I mean, like $5k of debt from a court ruling they have no way to pay off), and all sorts of other things.

When they come out of the program they have at least some semblence of a work ethic, stable housing, a savings account, all their ID's, and most importantly a support system they're always welcome to come back to. Almost every one of the people that have left the program still have stable housing and a better job than MacDoe, and come back frequently for Q&A about random stuff.

Think if you had no parents and you were kicked out of the shelter you were staying in when you were 18. They're kind of acting like the parents.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Not so much helps the homeless, but many of the people they help are homeless or do not have stable housing.

The non-profit she runs helps former foster youth. So people that have aged out of foster care. Many end up homeless, jobless, and hopeless. The shop provides them with a job, but they also get a few hours a week of case manager time to help with any sort of issues they're having (friend died, can't balance a checkbook, can't get out of debt, where to go in life, etc), and the managers all give them a ton of slack on things like showing up late for work, or doing something incorrectly on the job, etc and get coached through it. They're also given bus passes so they can get to work. I've seen people go through the system with zero forms of government issued ID (no DL, birth certificate, SS card, etc), no housing, no money for food, no friends or family they can trust, debt (I mean, like $5k of debt from a court ruling they have no way to pay off), and all sorts of other things.

When they come out of the program they have at least some semblence of a work ethic, stable housing, a savings account, all their ID's, and most importantly a support system they're always welcome to come back to. Almost every one of the people that have left the program still have stable housing and a better job than MacDoe, and come back frequently for Q&A about random stuff.

Think if you had no parents and you were kicked out of the shelter you were staying in when you were 18. They're kind of acting like the parents.
:dat: is :amazing: awesome.
:bravo: to your GF, mang. Cereally.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:00 pm

:dat:
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:00 pm

:sad: for my wallet doe. I basically support her since she doesn't really get paid much of anything.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 pm

:sad: for my wallet doe. I basically support her since she doesn't really get paid much of anything.
Direct a bit more of that income to the NP to officer salary brah.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Direct a bit more of that income to the NP to officer salary brah.
I do :lol:
Her board approved a raise this year doe. She's finally making a living wage. So there's that.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Nice. Thanks for explination
brain go brrrrrr