Home heating

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am Decided to :waxer: for mini splits on the house. Going with Mitsubishi units this time instead of Fujitsu. They're offering a rebate right now and they're supposedly the best in the mini split game 12 year parts and compressor warranty too. :notbad:
How much are those bad boys apiece?
Too much, but whatever. No A/C is :nope:

There's outside compressor units that handle the inside units. Apparently they make outside units that power up to 8 indoor units, but the :dillerman: said they get exponentially more expensive and it our case it made more sense to do two outdoor units...one for the first floor and on the 2nd.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 pm 12 year warranty is :amaze:
:dat: Going to be nice to not have to worry about major expenses for 12 years after this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 pm 12 year warranty is :amaze:
:dat: Going to be nice to not have to worry about major expenses for 12 years after this.
:yeahok:

Until you find your next dream :haus: for a "great deal" at only $699k in 2 years. :tits: :pinshit:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:21 pm
:yeahok:

Until you find your next dream :haus: for a "great deal" at only $699k in 2 years. :tits: :pinshit:
:dat:

Truthfully, we've never been happier in a house. This one has staying power, but if it doesn't, then yea, we'll get all the money we put in out of it for sure. Especially the cost of AC.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 pm

How much are those bad boys apiece?

There's outside compressor units that handle the inside units. Apparently they make outside units that power up to 8 indoor units, but the :dillerman: said they get exponentially more expensive and it our case it made more sense to do two outdoor units...one for the first floor and on the 2nd.
So how many room units will be connected to these 2 outdoor compressors?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:11 pm

So how many room units will be connected to these 2 outdoor compressors?
6 in total. 2 on the first floor, 3 on the 2nd floor, one on the 3rd.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm

That's how the wife's uncle's place in Maryland is set up. 5/7 even in that heat and humidity
We had them in the last house and they were :mindblown: definitely worth the (significant) investment.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Not exactly heat, but heated water question here:

Shower has been oscillating between scalding hot and lukewarm. It's a 3-handle arrangement, and I replaced the hot/cold cartridges 2 years ago. The center handle for the tub vs shower does leak past. So I guess I'll fix that. But any other ideas on what could be causing the temperature swings?

Also possibly related, when you start to run out of hot water, and pinch back on the cold valve, sometimes the shower will go ICE COLD, you have to turn it a good quarter turn, and then it starts to warm up again.

I have no idea.

Water heater is 20 years old, likely time to replace it, but I don't think that'll address the temp swinging by much if any.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 am Not exactly heat, but heated water question here:

Shower has been oscillating between scalding hot and lukewarm. It's a 3-handle arrangement, and I replaced the hot/cold cartridges 2 years ago. The center handle for the tub vs shower does leak past. So I guess I'll fix that. But any other ideas on what could be causing the temperature swings?

Also possibly related, when you start to run out of hot water, and pinch back on the cold valve, sometimes the shower will go ICE COLD, you have to turn it a good quarter turn, and then it starts to warm up again.

I have no idea.

Water heater is 20 years old, likely time to replace it, but I don't think that'll address the temp swinging by much if any.
:wtf:

what you using for HW, a tank? But yea sounds like your valves be fuxored.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 am Not exactly heat, but heated water question here:

I have no idea.

I want to just rip the whole damn system out and replace the pink Miami Vice bathroom closet all together. But it is what it is.

The cold water valve has me the most puzzled. I don't know why it goes to freezing unless there's a huge pressure imbalance, or there's crud on one of the valves.

Hot water is an upright tank in the basement. I don't remember the size of it, I'll check when I get home after dinner. Its typical of homes in this area. Water here isn't hard, so water heaters last forever. But I think it's time to replace because some day it'll just piss all over the basement floor, and that day has got to be coming. Debating going to an on-demand one for those infinite length steamy showers.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 am

I want to just rip the whole damn system out and replace the pink Miami Vice bathroom closet all together. But it is what it is.

The cold water valve has me the most puzzled. I don't know why it goes to freezing unless there's a huge pressure imbalance, or there's crud on one of the valves.

Hot water is an upright tank in the basement. I don't remember the size of it, I'll check when I get home after dinner. Its typical of homes in this area. Water here isn't hard, so water heaters last forever. But I think it's time to replace because some day it'll just piss all over the basement floor, and that day has got to be coming. Debating going to an on-demand one for those infinite length steamy showers.
yea, it has to be a pressure imbalance that when you reduce flow from the cold it causes the HW flow to also slow..and more. Weird. I'd fix your leaking shower valve first to see if that helps.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:40 am

yea, it has to be a pressure imbalance that when you reduce flow from the cold it causes the HW flow to also slow..and more. Weird. I'd fix your leaking shower valve first to see if that helps.
Yeah. Easy enough to do that, I have all the tools for the job, should only take like 30 mins -1hr if I have the right cartridge.

Maybe the water heater has a busted inlet tube inside the tank. Maybe I'll pull the cold valve out and poke around a bit to see if something is blocked or built up on the back of the plunger.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:40 am

Yeah. Easy enough to do that, I have all the tools for the job, should only take like 30 mins -1hr if I have the right cartridge.

Maybe the water heater has a busted inlet tube inside the tank. Maybe I'll pull the cold valve out and poke around a bit to see if something is blocked or built up on the back of the plunger.
sometimes cycling the valve is enought to help. It can also make old seals that are sealed.....not anymore :yikes:
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Just watched this last night. Might be of some relevance to you?

Start at 9:50

https://video.wlrn.org/video/storage-be ... oh-mmcjvg/
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Basically the same thing, only mine is a 3-valve setup. I replaced 2 of the cartridges but not the 3rd, so I'll try that and see what happens.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm
wap wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Basically the same thing, only mine is a 3-valve setup. I replaced 2 of the cartridges but not the 3rd, so I'll try that and see what happens.
Thought so. Yea that seems to be the next logical step. Good luck.