Home heating

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:46 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am I've been getting promo e-mails like crazy from my gas company offering steep discounts on EcoBee. I've given it some serious thought, but as someone that never changes the temp (because it's more efficient for steam), is there really a benefit?

Not to mention, my boiler is currently on an ancient millivolt thermostat system that works even if we lose power. Which does happen from time to time because we have some serious trees around.
I’m going with the Ecobee3lite and two add-on room sensors. I want the ability to control and monitor the :haus: heating when I’m away.

I know :[user not found]: had some issues with his but he’s got a unique heating system with the oil/heat pump setup.
What is the functional benefit of being able to monitor individual room temps? Unless you have dampers for each room, you can't really control the temp in those rooms. In my case, I can turn down individual radiators (I have the radiator in the room with the t-stat turned down so the rest of the house heats more evenly). If one room is colder than the other, you'll just blast the heat up for the entire house.

I can see it for trouble shooting, but other than that?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:18 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 am
What is the functional benefit of being able to monitor individual room temps? Unless you have dampers for each room, you can't really control the temp in those rooms. In my case, I can turn down individual radiators (I have the radiator in the room with the t-stat turned down so the rest of the house heats more evenly). If one room is colder than the other, you'll just blast the heat up for the entire house.

I can see it for trouble shooting, but other than that?
They’re temp and occupancy sensors.

Do they make remote-control individual radiator controls? Would keep you from getting up to turn rooms off.

Man I wish I had hot water heat.
My steam heat is so fancy that you can dial down individual radiators, though not remotely. In fact, we noticed that the house was cold yet the dining room (where the thermostat is) was much warmer. I dialed down the radiator in the dining room and now the entire house is more even.

I guess given that, I could benefit from actual data :science: to get more accuracy. But as of now, we just go off of feels and it works.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 am
My steam heat is so fancy that you can dial down individual radiators, though not remotely. In fact, we noticed that the house was cold yet the dining room (where the thermostat is) was much warmer. I dialed down the radiator in the dining room and now the entire house is more even.

I guess given that, I could benefit from actual data :science: to get more accuracy. But as of now, we just go off of feels and it works.
So, if you keep your temperature constant and don't mess with stuff often...

Not sure what you'll be gaining.

Does the power go out often?
Usually once per season...so kind of? We have some tall ass trees growing into the power lines that the power company is too cheap to trim...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:18 am

They’re temp and occupancy sensors.

Do they make remote-control individual radiator controls? Would keep you from getting up to turn rooms off.

Man I wish I had hot water heat.

Same with hot water. I have the seldom-used guest room turned way down with the door closed because why heat it to the same temp as the rooms we actually use? I also keep the basement rads turned down because it never really gets all that cold down there and the boiler itself bleeds some heat off to the rooms.

Good idea about turning down the rad in the room with the T-stat. Will do that tonight.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

How do you adjust individual rads?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 pm
Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm How do you adjust individual rads?

Probably with individual knobs. :hue:
Actually, :dat:
Each rad has a control valve - with a knob - that regulates how much hot water flows through it. Close it and you limit the incoming heated water, open it and you let more hot water pass through it.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Probably with individual knobs. :hue:
Each rad has a control valve - with a knob - that regulates how much hot water flows through it. Close it and you limit the incoming heated water, open it and you let more hot water pass through it.
Yep, that's how mine is but with steam. Which is unique to 2-pipe and the system I have (vapor/vac)...generally turning down a steam radiator results in water hammer.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm
Detroit wrote:I've been getting promo e-mails like crazy from my gas company offering steep discounts on EcoBee. I've given it some serious thought, but as someone that never changes the temp (because it's more efficient for steam), is there really a benefit?

Not to mention, my boiler is currently on an ancient millivolt thermostat system that works even if we lose power. Which does happen from time to time because we have some serious trees around.
No. You don't want one. The latest update makes them play very poorly with boilers. I had to rip mine out.
:ohdang:

This is very good to know. They've been tempting me with sub-$100 prices...but I'll stick with what I have because it works fine.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 pm
Detroit wrote: :ohdang:

This is very good to know. They've been tempting me with sub-$100 prices...but I'll stick with what I have because it works fine.
I loved it till it fucked me over. Really disappointing.
I remember you advocating hard for it. Sad it went south.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Yep, that's how mine is but with steam. Which is unique to 2-pipe and the system I have (vapor/vac)...generally turning down a steam radiator results in water hammer.
Your system allows the condensed steam to flow back down to the boiler, correct? Much better than the steam-venting system, imo.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Your system allows the condensed steam to flow back down to the boiler, correct? Much better than the steam-venting system, imo.
Seems... smart to have a closed loop, no?
I would think so. The only thing I can think of that a venting system is better at is less of a dry air problem since it dumps steam into the room atmosphere. Otherwise they're noisy and not terribly efficient.
Calvinball

wap wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:22 pm Probably with individual knobs. :hue:
Interesting. I need to check that out. Crank the rad in the drafty room or just lower the one in the room with the stat.

wap

Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm
wap wrote:
Interesting. I need to check that out. Crank the rad in the drafty room or just lower the one in the room with the stat.

Yup, or some combo of both.
Calvinball

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm Interesting. I need to check that out. Crank the rad in the drafty room or just lower the one in the room with the stat.

I assume it’d be a knob following the ol’ righty tighty lefty loosey rule?

wap

Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 pm
wap wrote:
I assume it’d be a knob following the ol’ righty tighty lefty loosey rule?

Yerp. Clockwise to close and counter clockwise to open, just like a hose spigot.

It's usually down low by the inlet pipe, or maybe the outflow pipe. I can post a pic of one of mine this evening if you want.
Calvinball

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 pm I assume it’d be a knob following the ol’ righty tighty lefty loosey rule?

Yerp. Clockwise to close and counter clockwise to open, just like a hose spigot.

It's usually down low by the inlet pipe, or maybe the outflow pipe. I can post a pic of one of mine this evening if you want.
In the room itself or down by the boiler? I know I’ve got a number on lines coming off the boiler with knobs on em.

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:wap: is going to post pics of his knob and pipe? :notsure:
wap

Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:01 pm
wap wrote:

In the room itself or down by the boiler? I know I’ve got a number on lines coming off the boiler with knobs on em.

Oh no, at the bottom of each radiator. I'll post a pic tonight.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:02 pm :wap: is going to post pics of his knob and pipe? :notsure:
:lolol: :lolgasm:
wap

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:01 pm In the room itself or down by the boiler? I know I’ve got a number on lines coming off the boiler with knobs on em.

Here's one of the 2 in my living room:

Sent from my toaster using Crapatalk

Calvinball

wap wrote:
wap wrote: Oh no, at the bottom of each radiator. I'll post a pic tonight.

That’s what I figured.

ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:13 pm
Correct. It's dead silent went operating correctly...whereas a single pipe system with a vent on the radiator will hiss as it vents. They're also more prone to water hammer.
ChrisoftheNorth

Calvinball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm
wap wrote:

Do you have hot water or steam heat?

You shouldn't turn down single pipe steam heat...you'll likely end up with water hammer.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Correct. It's dead silent went operating correctly...whereas a single pipe system with a vent on the radiator will hiss as it vents. They're also more prone to water hammer.
I've heard water hammer. It's no bueno.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:18 pm
wap wrote:

Ron has solid gold radiators.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.