Home heating

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:57 pm
I'll check it out.

Inspection is ridiculous. Dead bum under the bed? Not on the report because they don't move furniture. HVAC lines filled with nuclear waste? Not on the report because I'm not an Hvac expert and/or it was too cold to run a/c.

Fine print and disclaimers on those contracts are crazy
Yep. I want in.
That sounds like a 5/7 job for you, actually.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:11 pm
All depends on when houses were built. Hot water was more popular at end of the 19th century, steam really took over in 1910+. Most houses in our are were built in the 20's and 30's (ours is unique being built in 1910) so all the radiant heat houses in our area are steam...in fact I've never seen a hot water heat system...aside from mid century houses with baseboard radiant.

Would be 5/7 to learn about, :doe: I need to look into HVAC classes. I'd love to specialize in radiant heat since most pros know nothing about it.
Oh interesting. I'd have thought the opposite, that hot water took over for steam because it seems more "modern" or advanced, and you see hw baseboards well into the 1950's and 60's. Guess I'm :wrong: . I've lived in old houses my whole life, in fact, except for a year in a <10 YO apartment building when we were first married, the NEWEST :haus: I've ever lived in was built in 1926. :lol: It had forced air heat. The :haus: I grew up in was built ~1910 with hot water rads, and, as you know, my current :haus: was built in 1906, also with hw heat. My brother bought a condo in a :neat: old courtyard building several years ago and it had steam heat. His unit was a fucking furnace all the time. He literally had to keep windows open 24/7 all winter long to not melt. Sounds like a large version of your situation as he was on the 1st floor and the boiler was running full :nuke: to keep the upper floors warm enough.
Could be regional too.

In learning about steam heat, the systems were so complex in terms of sizing radiators, pipes, pipe runs, boiler sizes, etc, etc, etc that new houses needed full blown engineers to come design the heating systems. It's very possible that expertise developed in certain areas to favor steam vs hot water. I've honestly never seen a hot water system in an old house here...and I've been through quite a few ranging in age from 1905 to 1940. Forced air quickly replaced steam because it was less complex, it's rare here to see a house built after 1930 with anything other than forced air here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 pm
Yep. I want in.
Yep. It's my backup/transition plan.

I'm going to take the classes this winter, and the guy we had inspect our house said he's looking to bring on some people to do inspections on the weekend (their busy times of the week). Said he'd be happy to let me take on a few when I want.

Will be a fun side gig that I hope to turn into full time at some point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Oh interesting. I'd have thought the opposite, that hot water took over for steam because it seems more "modern" or advanced, and you see hw baseboards well into the 1950's and 60's. Guess I'm :wrong: . I've lived in old houses my whole life, in fact, except for a year in a <10 YO apartment building when we were first married, the NEWEST :haus: I've ever lived in was built in 1926. :lol: It had forced air heat. The :haus: I grew up in was built ~1910 with hot water rads, and, as you know, my current :haus: was built in 1906, also with hw heat. My brother bought a condo in a :neat: old courtyard building several years ago and it had steam heat. His unit was a fucking furnace all the time. He literally had to keep windows open 24/7 all winter long to not melt. Sounds like a large version of your situation as he was on the 1st floor and the boiler was running full :nuke: to keep the upper floors warm enough.
Could be regional too.

In learning about steam heat, the systems were so complex in terms of sizing radiators, pipes, pipe runs, boiler sizes, etc, etc, etc that new houses needed full blown engineers to come design the heating systems. It's very possible that expertise developed in certain areas to favor steam vs hot water. I've honestly never seen a hot water system in an old house here...and I've been through quite a few ranging in age from 1905 to 1940. Forced air quickly replaced steam because it was less complex, it's rare here to see a house built after 1930 with anything other than forced air here.
That's really interesting. I love this sort of old :haus: history. You could be right about it being regional as I'd say steam is relatively rare here compared to hot water, for houses with boilers. Mayhaps the auto industry attracted engineers of all sorts to the Mahtroit area, including home heating engineers as well :iono: Makes total sense for forced air to replace steam, especially since around that time home AC started becoming a thing and the ductwork was needed for that anyway so why not combine it with heat.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm
Could be regional too.

That's really interesting. I love this sort of old :haus: history. You could be right about it being regional as I'd say steam is relatively rare here compared to hot water, for houses with boilers. Mayhaps the auto industry attracted engineers of all sorts to the Mahtroit area, including home heating engineers as well :iono: Makes total sense for forced air to replace steam, especially since around that time home AC started becoming a thing and the ductwork was needed for that anyway so why not combine it with heat.
Yep, this is what I'm thinking.

Really is fascinating stuff. Would love to get to the bottom of it someday.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:11 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:03 pm

I'm going to take the classes this winter, and the guy we had inspect our house said he's looking to bring on some people to do inspections on the weekend (their busy times of the week). Said he'd be happy to let me take on a few when I want.

The part time aspect of it is great. It's a good opportunity to get your feet wet in the industry and to see if you like it enough to make the career jump before you'd actually have to quit your current gig.
In4impressions on the classes. :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 pm

The part time aspect of it is great. It's a good opportunity to get your feet wet in the industry and to see if you like it enough to make the career jump before you'd actually have to quit your current gig.
Reading the tea leaves, it's only a matter of time before I'm forced to change careers. Just planning ahead is all.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:22 pm

You should research it and write a book. I'd totally buy it, especially if I could get a signed copy!

"Dear WAP,

Thanks for buying my book.

Kisses,

DPlac"
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Steam isn't hard, but its not to be fucked with. Things can go sideways and go boom really quick, esp at 1900's state of the art. Hot water is more idiotproof.
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:25 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 pm
Reading the tea leaves, it's only a matter of time before I'm forced to change careers. Just planning ahead is all.
:word:
Wise plan.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:27 pm Steam isn't hard, but its not to be fucked with. Things can go sideways and go boom really quick, esp at 1900's state of the art. Hot water is more idiotproof.
Right. So people that installed steam REALLY needed to know what was going on. Like Wap said, Mahtroit in the early 00's was a hotbed for innovation drawing in smart people from all over the world. There were probably more people that understood how to do steam correctly here than in Chicago.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 pm

You should research it and write a book. I'd totally buy it, especially if I could get a signed copy!

"Dear WAP,

Thanks for buying my book.

Kisses,

DPlac"
I'll get working on it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:27 pm Steam isn't hard, but its not to be fucked with. Things can go sideways and go boom really quick, esp at 1900's state of the art. Hot water is more idiotproof.
Right. So people that installed steam REALLY needed to know what was going on. Like Wap said, Mahtroit in the early 00's was a hotbed for innovation drawing in smart people from all over the world. There were probably more people that understood how to do steam correctly here than in Chicago.
very reasonable hypothesis.
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm
Right, I'm sure. I know a major manufacturer of steam locomotives, Baldwin, was located in Philly. I wonder if any were in the Mahtroit area. Basically the same (or closely related) tech...
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Seems like a perfect DINK with hobbies kind of gig
:hai:
ChrisoftheNorth

Decided to :waxer: for mini splits on the house. Going with Mitsubishi units this time instead of Fujitsu. They're offering a rebate right now and they're supposedly the best in the mini split game 12 year parts and compressor warranty too. :notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Home heating? Shit, my AC was running last night.

:thisisfine:
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am Decided to :waxer: for mini splits on the house. Going with Mitsubishi units this time instead of Fujitsu. They're offering a rebate right now and they're supposedly the best in the mini split game 12 year parts and compressor warranty too. :notbad:
How many of those can you run off of one compressor?
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am
:hai:
I miss your musk
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dubshow wrote:Home heating? Shit, my AC was running last night.

33F here this morning. Supposed to snow next week. :disgust:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Same here. We may get a bit of snow tonight or over the weekend. Low's in the 20's for the next several days. :disgust:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Gonna be below 40 this weekend and low 30s next week. :iono:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:29 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 pm 33F here this morning. Supposed to snow next week. :disgust:
Same here. We may get a bit of snow tonight or over the weekend. Low's in the 20's for the next several days. :disgust:
id like a little snow to really try out the :gorf:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 am Decided to :waxer: for mini splits on the house. Going with Mitsubishi units this time instead of Fujitsu. They're offering a rebate right now and they're supposedly the best in the mini split game 12 year parts and compressor warranty too. :notbad:
How much are those bad boys apiece?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

12 year warranty is :amaze:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.