Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
27
68%
Rent it
8
20%
:crang: in mom's basement
3
8%
:dong: grabbing frat house
1
3%
At school
0
No votes
I'm nomadic
1
3%
 
Total votes: 40
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5439
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: CLT NC

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:57 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:53 pm

Says I need to be a sub
Dammit!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6467 ... 0693_zpid/
wood rent on Airbnb. Dat indoor pool :jimp:
User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 41481
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:52 pm
Drives: Blue Meanie
Location: Pepperland

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:57 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:53 pm

Says I need to be a sub
Dammit!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6467 ... 0693_zpid/
:hellno:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42433
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

wap wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 pm
:hellno:
Isn't it ridiculous? Been ok the market for years, and will be for longer. I don't think I've ever seen such a crazy house.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 41481
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:52 pm
Drives: Blue Meanie
Location: Pepperland

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 pm

:hellno:
Isn't it ridiculous? Been ok the market for years, and will be for longer. I don't think I've ever seen such a crazy house.
Totally redic. Blah.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 pm

:hellno:
Isn't it ridiculous? Been ok the market for years, and will be for longer. I don't think I've ever seen such a crazy house.
It's a pretty :neat: house, albeit a bit over the top. For $3.4 million though, I think I'm living on the West Coast or waterfront in Miami or something.
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5439
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: CLT NC

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 pm
Isn't it ridiculous? Been ok the market for years, and will be for longer. I don't think I've ever seen such a crazy house.
It's a pretty :neat: house, albeit a bit over the top. For $3.4 million though, I think I'm living on the West Coast or waterfront in Miami or something.
Gulf coast for me. That shit was biuriful
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13127
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:57 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:53 pm

Says I need to be a sub
Dammit!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6467 ... 0693_zpid/
Some of that decor is atrocious.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13127
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

wap wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 pm
:hellno:
Ron Jeremy signature edition.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42433
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:08 pm
Some of that decor is atrocious.
Just some? Pretty much the entire house is atrocious.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13127
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:08 pm

Some of that decor is atrocious.
Just some? Pretty much the entire house is atrocious.
I was being polite.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:08 pm

It's a pretty :neat: house, albeit a bit over the top. For $3.4 million though, I think I'm living on the West Coast or waterfront in Miami or something.
Gulf coast for me. That shit was biuriful
It is very nice on the Gulf Coast, the demographic is :notsure: for me though. I think Tampa area could be pretty dope.
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5439
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: CLT NC

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:49 pm

Gulf coast for me. That shit was biuriful
It is very nice on the Gulf Coast, the demographic is :notsure: for me though. I think Tampa area could be pretty dope.
I thought Tampa was cool but I only spent a couple hours there
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 am

It is very nice on the Gulf Coast, the demographic is :notsure: for me though. I think Tampa area could be pretty dope.
I thought Tampa was cool but I only spent a couple hours there
I haven't spent much time either, but it's the beauty of the Gulf Coast with a large city rather than the :notsure: :wap: :thankstrump: of most of the Gulf Coast.
User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3555
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Have any of you palookas installed Shade Sails?

My backyard abuts a huge cornfield and the wind rips over it like, well....... really fast wind...

A few years back, was having coffee on my deck when my 10 foot umbrella just disappeared...... the wind caught it just right and launched it like 150 feet into the air..... thank god the little girls next door were inside, as it crashed back to earth in their yard .... there had been other wind incidents as well, so I took to basically tying it down to the deck railing and the side of the house...... that worked but the string practically decapitates us if we are not careful....

Anyway I am looking for a low cost solution and I think the triangular sails are the ticket....

Any experience?
Last edited by Irish on Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42433
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

Irish wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:04 pm Have any of you palookas installed Shade Sails?

My backyard abuts a huge cornfield and the wind rips over it like, well....... really fast wind...

A few years back, was having coffee on my deck when my 10 foot umbrella just disappeared...... the wind caught it just right and launched it like 150 feet into the air..... thank god the little girls next door were inside, as it crashed back to earth in theit yard inside.... there had been other wind incidents as well, so I took to basically tying it down to the deck railing and the side of the house...... that worked but the string practically decapitates us if we are not careful....

Anyway I am looking for a low cost solution and I think the triangular sails are the ticket....

Any experience?
I've been thinking about these for our new patio. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but they seem pretty simple. Obviously the most important part of the job is having solid mounting points, which will likely require some new posts and engineering in a windy area. Wind really rips along our patio too, so it's a big consideration of mine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3555
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

I am dreading the digging of holes on the bed of shale that lies underneath my property.

I am thinking of pouring concrete slabs (plinthe?) and affixing a metal pole base to it with masonry screws and some form of adhesive in the holes.

I saw a British company website that sells :waxer: hardware and suggests this method.

Other sites/vids suggest up to a 40- 50% hole depth to post length ratio. That would be :ludacris: I'd be looking g at a 6 to 7.5 foot hole ....fuck that...

Even 36inches to get under the frost line is more than I want to tackle really.

What do y'all think about about the slab idea?

Will I get too much heave in the winter?
User avatar
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13127
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:09 pm I am dreading the digging of holes on the bed of shale that lies underneath my property.

I am thinking of pouring concrete slabs (plinthe?) and affixing a metal pole base to it with masonry screws and some form of adhesive in the holes.

I saw a British company website that sells :waxer: hardware and suggests this method.

Other sites/vids suggest up to a 40- 50% hole depth to post length ratio. That would be :ludacris: I'd be looking g at a 6 to 7.5 foot hole ....fuck that...

Even 36inches to get under the frost line is more than I want to tackle really.

What do y'all think about about the slab idea?

Will I get too much heave in the winter?
Rent a backhoe with an auger or hire it done? I have always been in interested in the shade sail because it solves the same fight I have with every woman........you're making the house dark/claustrophobic/not enough sun etc. So you just remove the sail in the winter. I would thing strong anchor points are a huge issue though, as wind on the sail is going to :fshitup: if it is not.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42433
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:09 pm I am dreading the digging of holes on the bed of shale that lies underneath my property.

I am thinking of pouring concrete slabs (plinthe?) and affixing a metal pole base to it with masonry screws and some form of adhesive in the holes.

I saw a British company website that sells :waxer: hardware and suggests this method.

Other sites/vids suggest up to a 40- 50% hole depth to post length ratio. That would be :ludacris: I'd be looking g at a 6 to 7.5 foot hole ....fuck that...

Even 36inches to get under the frost line is more than I want to tackle really.

What do y'all think about about the slab idea?

Will I get too much heave in the winter?
What size sail are you looking to install? Would this be a better option?

https://www.costco.com/paragon-modena-a ... 86524.html
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3555
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:29 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:09 pm I am dreading the digging of holes on the bed of shale that lies underneath my property.

I am thinking of pouring concrete slabs (plinthe?) and affixing a metal pole base to it with masonry screws and some form of adhesive in the holes.

I saw a British company website that sells :waxer: hardware and suggests this method.

Other sites/vids suggest up to a 40- 50% hole depth to post length ratio. That would be :ludacris: I'd be looking g at a 6 to 7.5 foot hole ....fuck that...

Even 36inches to get under the frost line is more than I want to tackle really.

What do y'all think about about the slab idea?

Will I get too much heave in the winter?
Rent a backhoe with an auger or hire it done? I have always been in interested in the shade sail because it solves the same fight I have with every woman........you're making the house dark/claustrophobic/not enough sun etc. So you just remove the sail in the winter. I would thing strong anchor points are a huge issue though, as wind on the sail is going to :fshitup: if it is not.
I might do this for the pool deck I am thinking about....but I wouldn't hire out for two holes. In floriduh, you could hire day labor outside any home improvement store. Wasn't strictly legal but I always thought of it as a victim less crime as long as one was relatively generous with pay and buying lunch.

Standard tripod augers wont get through the shale. Guy two doors down contracted a fence install and the guys gave up on the auger after a few hours and dug the holes by hand.

I think I am going to go with the slabs with rebar pounded into the ground at angles.
User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3555
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:29 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:09 pm I am dreading the digging of holes on the bed of shale that lies underneath my property.

I am thinking of pouring concrete slabs (plinthe?) and affixing a metal pole base to it with masonry screws and some form of adhesive in the holes.

I saw a British company website that sells :waxer: hardware and suggests this method.

Other sites/vids suggest up to a 40- 50% hole depth to post length ratio. That would be :ludacris: I'd be looking g at a 6 to 7.5 foot hole ....fuck that...

Even 36inches to get under the frost line is more than I want to tackle really.

What do y'all think about about the slab idea?

Will I get too much heave in the winter?
What size sail are you looking to install? Would this be a better option?

https://www.costco.com/paragon-modena-a ... 86524.html
I gave pergolas a lot of thought but I think 2 of the the posts would be obtrusive on my existing 16 x 24" deck.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42433
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:29 pm
What size sail are you looking to install? Would this be a better option?

https://www.costco.com/paragon-modena-a ... 86524.html
I gave pergolas a lot of thought but I think 2 of the the posts would be obtrusive on my existing 16 x 24" deck.
I'm trying to visualize what you're doing, but if sails are the chosen solution, I think pouring concrete pads would be the way. Challenge is how big do you make them? They probably need to be rather sizable since you can't dig down far, and mixing that much concrete is going to suck unless you order a truck, perhaps.

Another thought: are there areas of shale thick enough that you could just anchor into it and maybe just pour concrete on top for added stability?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3555
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:10 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:51 pm

I gave pergolas a lot of thought but I think 2 of the the posts would be obtrusive on my existing 16 x 24" deck.
I'm trying to visualize what you're doing, but if sails are the chosen solution, I think pouring concrete pads would be the way. Challenge is how big do you make them? They probably need to be rather sizable since you can't dig down far, and mixing that much concrete is going to suck unless you order a truck, perhaps.

Another thought: are there areas of shale thick enough that you could just anchor into it and maybe just pour concrete on top for added stability?
I am thinking of 6 inch thick 18 x 18" framed out with 1x6" s . I may have to go smaller on the one side because of the pool. I will drive 4 - 2 foot rebar into the ground with a sledge at angles leaving the top 6 inches to fall into the concrete pour area.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42433
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

Irish wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:10 pm
I'm trying to visualize what you're doing, but if sails are the chosen solution, I think pouring concrete pads would be the way. Challenge is how big do you make them? They probably need to be rather sizable since you can't dig down far, and mixing that much concrete is going to suck unless you order a truck, perhaps.

Another thought: are there areas of shale thick enough that you could just anchor into it and maybe just pour concrete on top for added stability?
I am thinking of 6 inch thick 18 x 18" framed out with 1x6" s . I may have to go smaller on the one side because of the pool. I will drive 4 - 2 foot rebar into the ground with a sledge at angles leaving the top 6 inches to fall into the concrete pour area.
:notbad: That should be pretty substantial.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 42433
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
Drives: CT

Irish wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:10 pm
I'm trying to visualize what you're doing, but if sails are the chosen solution, I think pouring concrete pads would be the way. Challenge is how big do you make them? They probably need to be rather sizable since you can't dig down far, and mixing that much concrete is going to suck unless you order a truck, perhaps.

Another thought: are there areas of shale thick enough that you could just anchor into it and maybe just pour concrete on top for added stability?
I am thinking of 6 inch thick 18 x 18" framed out with 1x6" s . I may have to go smaller on the one side because of the pool. I will drive 4 - 2 foot rebar into the ground with a sledge at angles leaving the top 6 inches to fall into the concrete pour area.
:notbad: That should be pretty substantial.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Post Reply