Dat Garage Thread Doe

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:43 pm

4zilch wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 pm
Zillon wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:58 pm
I used a small electric heater in my 1.5 car in the old :haus: - definitely helped take the chill off.
:word:

I should really take the time to research options. Garage is 24x24 with 10’ ceilings
I just open the door between the :haus: and the garage and use a fan to pull heat from inside to "heat" the garage.

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:32 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:43 pm
4zilch wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 pm

:word:

I should really take the time to research options. Garage is 24x24 with 10’ ceilings
I just open the door between the :haus: and the garage and use a fan to pull heat from inside to "heat" the garage.
:science: :scrooge:
This post is illegal in the European Union.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 am

Resurrecting an old :bread:

Garage in the new haus (20x23) is slightly smaller than my current (24x24) - but at least I don’t have to work around a service door and the floor is already sealed. Storage is a concern - I’ve got 2 yuge storage racks currently and a large workbench. In the new garage I’m probably going to have to downsize the workbench and will be limited to 1 storage rack. Any pro tips on space saving storage, what things are people using these days?
Melon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Don't discuss things you want on here.

This is only a place for 100% facts.

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: AARPurple Brub Tub

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 am

I'm also in4pics. It's likely that new :haus: will not have quite a garagemahal - likely similar size to what Trav is working with, and I'd like to get a sweet setup going.

I'd love to see people's options for things like bike storage, tool/workspace, wheel/tire storage, all of it!

:excited:

Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Using all your vertical height is huge. I need to take some pictures of my dad's garage, which I'll copy in mine.

He bought cheap bike hoists from HF to get the bikes off the ground, it's a big help. Tires are also on a shelf on the wall. Menard's (a local home improvement type chain) sells a killer wall track system for hanging yard equipment, it's great to get that all off the ground/shelves and on a wall...you'd be surprised by how much you can fit in a small space hanging on the wall.

ALSO, my dad's "workbenches" are these rolling toolbox things with a worktop at bench height. Most of the time, he has them against the wall as a work bench...but they're organized to where if he has a car project or something, he can roll one over to the lift. Makes the toolbox effectively a dual purpose thing, which I've found to be super handy.
I believe it's this:
https://www.costco.com/Trinity-72%22-St ... 35688.html
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Detroit

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:38 pm

Also, anyone have (or had) a garage with OSB on the walls instead of drywall? Seems like it could be a 5/7 way to finish a garage.
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:28 am

Detroit wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 pm
Using all your vertical height is huge. I need to take some pictures of my dad's garage, which I'll copy in mine.

He bought cheap bike hoists from HF to get the bikes off the ground, it's a big help. Tires are also on a shelf on the wall. Menard's (a local home improvement type chain) sells a killer wall track system for hanging yard equipment, it's great to get that all off the ground/shelves and on a wall...you'd be surprised by how much you can fit in a small space hanging on the wall.

ALSO, my dad's "workbenches" are these rolling toolbox things with a worktop at bench height. Most of the time, he has them against the wall as a work bench...but they're organized to where if he has a car project or something, he can roll one over to the lift. Makes the toolbox effectively a dual purpose thing, which I've found to be super handy.
I believe it's this:
https://www.costco.com/Trinity-72%22-St ... 35688.html
Nice! I would definitely plan on elevated bike, wheel/tire, and anything else I could storage.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Das Scheißkiste

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Storage, is Edsal shelves, and go vertical.

Also, get some good lighting in there.
Airboat Michaelangelo.

Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: CookieMonster

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Melon wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:39 pm
Storage, is Edsal shelves, and go vertical.

Also, get some good lighting in there.
Good lighting can not be said enough. :like:

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm

4zilch wrote:

Garage in the new haus (20x23) is slightly smaller than my current (24x24) - but at least I don’t have to work around a service door and the floor is already sealed. Storage is a concern - I’ve got 2 yuge storage racks currently and a large workbench. In the new garage I’m probably going to have to downsize the workbench and will be limited to 1 storage rack. Any pro tips on space saving storage, what things are people using these days?
You bought a new house?
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

Apex

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
4zilch wrote:

You bought a new house?
New state, new :haus:

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 am

Apex wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

You bought a new house?
Great, where is the move documentation?
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:21 am

4zilch wrote:

First: you need a shed for lawn stuff and longer term storage.

Second, echo everything that's been said, use the vertical space. Workbench on wheels is great for me. Keep shit off the floor as much as practical. If you can afford it, wall mounted cabinets from am old kitchen help with this if you plan to park cars in it.
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

Apex

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:24 am

Desertbreh wrote:
Apex wrote:

It may have been in OT?
Zilch moving to TN to follow a dream job for Sno.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: 2016 Portapotty

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:59 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Apex wrote:

Hidden deep within the bowels of DFD drivel.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Zillon wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

I can't go there. Cliffs?

Apex

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Zillon wrote:

Sno got a jerb at Blackberry Farm in TN; google it, definitely worth a look.
Zilch’s jerb is 5/7 and letting him work remotely.

Zilch :haus: getting packed up and moving to the blessed lands of TN.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Apex wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

Got it. Ha ha, this forum never lets up with dat Tennessee Magic.

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: 2016 Portapotty

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Apex wrote:

Blackberry Farms is :fancy: AF.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Apex wrote:

Looks like it’s been covered.

The south east move has been in the works for years, we just needed a reason to execute it. It gives us some needed space from family while still being gainfully employed.

We bought a house in Maryville, giving her about a 25 minute commute and a stable paycheck with amble room to grow. We’ve been vacationing in the area 1-2 times a year for the last 7 and have spent a fair amount of time in Knoxville on lots of those trips. There’s not much to not like about it - good weather, great roads, beautiful scenery..

CoL is pretty much identical to here. Slightly lower insurance rates, housing rates pretty much the same, property taxes the same, 0 state income tax, but higher sales tax. Our location has pretty much always been dependent on my job and for once we get to do something for hers.
Melon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Don't discuss things you want on here.

This is only a place for 100% facts.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm

4zilch wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

Looks like it’s been covered.

The south east move has been in the works for years, we just needed a reason to execute it. It gives us some needed space from family while still being gainfully employed.

We bought a house in Maryville, giving her about a 25 minute commute and a stable paycheck with amble room to grow. We’ve been vacationing in the area 1-2 times a year for the last 7 and have spent a fair amount of time in Knoxville on lots of those trips. There’s not much to not like about it - good weather, great roads, beautiful scenery..

CoL is pretty much identical to here. Slightly lower insurance rates, housing rates pretty much the same, property taxes the same, 0 state income tax, but higher sales tax. Our location has pretty much always been dependent on my job and for once we get to do something for hers.
Sounds fantastic! Congrats!

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Zillon wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

Blackberry Farms is :fancy: AF.
Wow, that website is epic. :notbad:

Detroit

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am

golftdibrad wrote:
4zilch wrote:

Second, echo everything that's been said, use the vertical space. Workbench on wheels is great for me. Keep shit off the floor as much as practical. If you can afford it, wall mounted cabinets from am old kitchen help with this if you plan to park cars in it.
Did you buy or make your rolling workbench? I'm pretty set on one for my garage, just need to decide what.
Desertbreh wrote:

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am

Detroit wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

Did you buy or make your rolling workbench? I'm pretty set on one for my garage, just need to decide what.
Bought. I got a gladiator workbench and fit some high quality castor's on it. Makes it mobile and and makes it comfortable working height for our tall asses. Don't be cheap and do 2 fixed and two swivel castor's here, get 4 swivel locking ones. I mounted a vice to it and it's SUPER functional
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

Detroit

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:26 am

golftdibrad wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am
Detroit wrote:

Bought. I got a gladiator workbench and fit some high quality castor's on it. Makes it mobile and and makes it comfortable working height for our tall asses. Don't be cheap and do 2 fixed and two swivel castor's here, get 4 swivel locking ones. I mounted a vice to it and it's SUPER functional
:amazing:

Will absolutely look into this. I'm :troywax: on the garage and might as well make the interior just as nice.
Desertbreh wrote:

• Information