Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
66%
Rent it
21%
:crang: in mom's basement
8%
:dong: grabbing frat house
3%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
3%

Total votes: 38
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Gladiatrice

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm

That house is epic. Love the look inside.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm

That house is badass. 8,712 sq. ft lot isn't small, although the :haus: is big so it takes up a good chunk of it. Looks like it has a yuuuuge carriage house in the back?

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm

coogles wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm
That house is badass. 8,712 sq. ft lot isn't small, although the :haus: is big so it takes up a good chunk of it. Looks like it has a yuuuuge carriage house in the back?
Yeah I can't tell what's going on in the back, another reason I'd like to see it just for :science:

I'm wondering if the quoted 4k square feet is including the second building, the photos don't seem to show a YUGE looking :haus: to me.

wap
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Detroit wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:58 pm
That house is epic. Love the look inside.
Dem pocket doors :drool:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Shortest Short Bus

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm about to embark on another reno, this time in the new :haus: prior to moving in. We have two weeks to tear out two levels of questionably cared for carpets and low grade builders strip flooring. Might as well :doit: before we put furniture in it. At this time 1990 sq ft of flooring will be $12/sqft (9US) installed which is really not bad at all. Same floor as our current place, 8" wide oak hand scraped planks in a light grayish wash and flat finish. All in about $18k, another 7k for refinishing the staircase/spindles, 4k for paint on the whole main floor and up to the landing and my office upstairs. Demo and disposal is 3k, 750 linear feet of baseboards and nosing to finish it all off. 33k US plus tax.

In other canadian news, here is the cheapest Toronto house available right now...

https://www.narcity.com/real-estate/ca/ ... ute-photos

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:26 am

Saw the spindles and posts for the staircase.. 5/7 design and prepainted which will save on all the painting costs. I'm sure that my GC will turn a bigger profit but he's still cheaper and better with a repeating weakness leaning towards holding timelines. Surely there will be disarray for a week or so. Also, I think this is all going into HELOC so :notsure: if we made the right choice, it is a yes... for now.

CaleDeRoo
Drives: C5

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Apex
Drives: CookieMonster

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:22 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/809- ... DXROBUh4I8

The pictures :lolol:
:lolol:

wap
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:18 pm

Apex wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote:

:wap: Where are these mangos?

Detroit

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:10 am

wap wrote:
Apex wrote:

:dat:

Really epic old four square, built around the time my house was. I love four squares.

Too bad everyone who looks at the listing will have nightmares about the house before even looking at it.
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Brub Tub and Kamry \\W

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:46 am

Detroit wrote:
wap wrote:

Really epic old four square, built around the time my house was. I love four squares.

Too bad everyone who looks at the listing will have nightmares about the house before even looking at it.
Pretty nuts that that is $105K... that thing would be like $850K here.

Detroit

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 am

D Griff wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:46 am
Detroit wrote:

Pretty nuts that that is $105K... that thing would be like $850K here.
It's in a pretty terrible area.
Desertbreh wrote:

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Mario Kart

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:43 am

CaleDeRoo wrote:

This is fantastic.
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Haus :dill: closing in a few weeks :excited:

We are going to do Halloween in the new hood. House will be 50% renovated, so I'm not sure if we are going to be sleeping there yet. The drive to get the kids to school has been a consistent 20 min from my current place, but some routes are better then others. I think winter driving may be interesting in bad weather and I can see that 20 ballooning into 60 for my wife. I go then other way so not much changes except I get a scenic alternate to the largest highway in the country.

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:38 am

New joint has a pool, and we don't take posession until the last week of October. We asked about closing the pool because nights are starting to get pretty cold and we might see some frost before we get in there. The answer we got back from the current owners through our realtor:

"It is our preference to have the new owners close the pool, for liability sake".

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:
Fork out the $300 and get a guy to close it, making careful notes on what is being done and if there are any deficiencies that might come to light.

Option B:
Insist the current owners to close the pool since everyone I talked to who has one in this region has already closed theirs.

There are pros and cons to both options but I don't know what they all may be.

Does DFD have any insights to the dilemma? Am I :wrong: ? Did I make the :wasteful: move because I bought a place with a pool?

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am

CaleDeRoo wrote:

:bruh:

Thats fucking hilarious. Its like they dont want to sell it.
I identify as poor. The government says otherwise.

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am

Tarspin wrote:
New joint has a pool, and we don't take posession until the last week of October. We asked about closing the pool because nights are starting to get pretty cold and we might see some frost before we get in there. The answer we got back from the current owners through our realtor:

"It is our preference to have the new owners close the pool, for liability sake".

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:
Fork out the $300 and get a guy to close it, making careful notes on what is being done and if there are any deficiencies that might come to light.

Option B:
Insist the current owners to close the pool since everyone I talked to who has one in this region has already closed theirs.

Does DFD have any insights to the dilemma? Am I :wrong: ? Did I make the :wasteful: move because I bought a place with a pool?
I rented a place in Miami with a pool, it was a lot of fun, but the owners handled pool care so not much to add here. I'd probably try to make them :doit: :iono: :scrooge:

Apex
Drives: CookieMonster

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Tarspin wrote:

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:

Option B:

Are current owners holding liability of any issues with freezing and the pool remaining open until new owners take possession?

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Tarspin wrote:

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:

Option B:

The issues comes to reason for taking/delaying possession. Ive always had a very clear cut "here are keys, its your issue now" approach to buying AND selling. This should be spelled out clearly if both parties are mutally benefiting from the delay of taking possession.

When does it come to your liability on insurance? If they are still liable for the house and are living in it, they are liable for basic upkeep and preventative winterizing. I am also clueless on "closing in the pool". I figured up there you'd have a permanent cover made to fit the pool and would install it when it got cold. Do they really have a new cover made every year??

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:56 pm

dubshow wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm
Tarspin wrote:

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:

Option B:

The issues comes to reason for taking/delaying possession. Ive always had a very clear cut "here are keys, its your issue now" approach to buying AND selling. This should be spelled out clearly if both parties are mutally benefiting from the delay of taking possession.

When does it come to your liability on insurance? If they are still liable for the house and are living in it, they are liable for basic upkeep and preventative winterizing. I am also clueless on "closing in the pool". I figured up there you'd have a permanent cover made to fit the pool and would install it when it got cold. Do they really have a new cover made every year??
I think there are chemicals to add and things as well as just covering, to stabilize and prevent freezing.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Tarspin wrote:

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:

Option B:

In your climate? Get them to do it. Closing is in late October....

It's.
Not.
Your.
House.
Yet.
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Fax is right, the owners are just being cheap. They're liable for any repairs and upkeep until the date of possession. The only reason they suggest we close the pool is so that we know that there's nothing wrong with the pool at the time of closing.

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:42 pm

I think the total cost for closing a pool is $300 they drain the majority of the water and blow out all the pipes so that nothing freezes inside them. All the filters are drained as while I guess, and yeah some sort of chemicals are added.

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:47 pm

All the people I talked to with pools have already closed them. I don't think the owners of the house are going to close that pool at all, so I guess I'm closing it on the last week of October. Bunch of fucking idiots

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:08 pm

Tarspin wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:47 pm
All the people I talked to with pools have already closed them. I don't think the owners of the house are going to close that pool at all, so I guess I'm closing it on the last week of October. Bunch of fucking idiots
If it freezes before you take possession of it they will be very much liable. I'd have your agent clarify that with their agent.

The chance of it going full freeze mode is also very low as long as the water is circulated this early in the year. The house must stay in the condition from when you put a contract on it, though. Thats the entire point of a final walk through before keys are handed over.

• Information