Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
70%
Rent it
21%
:crang: in mom's basement
3%
:dong: grabbing frat house
3%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
3%

Total votes: 33
Detroit
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm
How thick are those shelves?
Century-old barnwood...varies in thickness from 2" to 2.75" Fuckers are HEAVY.

I just realized that I never posted a finished photo. There's 6 shelves that go up the wall and follow the hood. I'll take a photo tonight. It honestly turned out way better than I initially anticipated.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

KYGTIGuy
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Mazda6

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Detroit wrote:
KYGTIGuy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm
How thick are those shelves?

I just realized that I never posted a finished photo. There's 6 shelves that go up the wall and follow the hood. I'll take a photo tonight. It honestly turned out way better than I initially anticipated.
Plaster and lath walls? I know you said they were anchored with toggles. Got to be some heavy duty stuff

Detroit

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 pm

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm
Detroit wrote:

Plaster and lath walls? I know you said they were anchored with toggles. Got to be some heavy duty stuff
Yep, plaster and lath throughout the entire house. I've gotten pretty good at patching.

Massive toggles...claimed to be good for 250lbs. I have 3 on each shelf "bracket" pipe thing and the 4th screw is in a stud (that's why they're spaced the way they are.

Amazingly sturdy.
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: nothing

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:10 pm
:ohdang:

To address the questions...

I always take a plate from the one below the top plate. Though, amazingly the top plates really don't get that dirty/greasy. The vent hood is insanely strong, and that combined with regular plate rotation, I've never picked up a dirty top plate. Still don't use them, :doe:

The orange and gray photographs like shit (gray is too blue in photos), but looks better in person. We have brown grout between the gray tiles, and it looks 5/7 IRL.

The outlets are beige/cream colored, and the plates are indeed oil rubbed bronze. Much like the walls and tile, IRL the plates are way more brown, and the outlets are more cream. The contrast is actually :notbad: IMO, but I did consider replacing the outlets with brown.
:csb:

but

:wrong:

:trollface:
I'm on my last bag of peas.

Detroit

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:40 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm
Detroit wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:10 pm
:ohdang:

To address the questions...

I always take a plate from the one below the top plate. Though, amazingly the top plates really don't get that dirty/greasy. The vent hood is insanely strong, and that combined with regular plate rotation, I've never picked up a dirty top plate. Still don't use them, :doe:

The orange and gray photographs like shit (gray is too blue in photos), but looks better in person. We have brown grout between the gray tiles, and it looks 5/7 IRL.

The outlets are beige/cream colored, and the plates are indeed oil rubbed bronze. Much like the walls and tile, IRL the plates are way more brown, and the outlets are more cream. The contrast is actually :notbad: IMO, but I did consider replacing the outlets with brown.
:csb:

but

:wrong:

:trollface:
:lolol: :dat:
Desertbreh wrote:

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Zillon wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am
golftdibrad wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 am

in4updates on your paper plate bill
:well:
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Tarspin
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Rock Crusher

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am

Haus update, kitchen is not done yet, we still need a few trim pieces, knobs and vent cover but mighty close! My cabinet guy is :mindblown: , i didnt expect this fit and finish for the price we paid.ImageImageImage
Last edited by Tarspin on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wap

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:35 am

Very nice!

Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: 18 Coloradoe / 09 Meata

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Love it.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazduh Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2018 Canyonado Z71 | 2009 MX-Velveeta
Detroit wrote:I love gravy.

CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: nothing

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Tarspin wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am
Haus update, kitchen is not done yet, we still need a few trim pieces, knobs and vent cover but mighty close! My cabinet guy is :mindblown: , i didnt expect this fit and finish for the price we paid.
Looks awesome! You should be very happy.
I'm on my last bag of peas.

Tarspin
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks, we are really happy with the results and effort made by our guy. He took his time, and it shows. 5/7 end result! Nicole and I did some homework on finishings and style cues, anytime we found something we like we sent our guy a pinshit pic and he took care of it.

The only thing that didn't work out are cup style pull handles on the small drawers, i had to file down the bases on three round knobs instead to fit into the slots of the shaker frames (2 1/4" frame on a 6" panel because I'm a :derp: ). Those small drawers probably should have been flat pieces to get the result we planned for. My contractor didn't know we would chose those types of handles so he couldn't warn us ahead. Still looks good doe. I didn't get a picture of it, but it's not a big deal. The house feels renewed and I couldn't be happy to replace 800-900 sq ft of 18 yr old tile with oak hardwood.

Detroit

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Wow. End result is 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote:

Apex
Drives: TrukYeah!

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Woah, 5/7 results!

Detroit

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

:millennial:
Desertbreh wrote:

Tarspin
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Detroit wrote:Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

Looks great! I'd love to utilize wood like that somewhere in the house. Maybe revamp the fireplace or strategically place shelving somewhere thst showcases them.

wap

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:10 pm

Detroit wrote:

5/7 look.

Sorry, still believe 1/7 practicality.

You did top notch work, though. :like:

Are those shelves just sitting on the pipes or are they attached to them somehow?

wap

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Tarspin wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:37 pm
Detroit wrote:Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

Looks great! I'd love to utilize wood like that somewhere in the house. Maybe revamp the fireplace or strategically place shelving somewhere thst showcases them.
Using them as shelving around a fireplace would be a great idea.

Tarspin
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 am

wap wrote:
Detroit wrote:

5/7 look.

Are those shelves just sitting on the pipes or are they attached to them somehow?
:tits: :wubs: :pin- :poop: :doe:

wap

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:30 am

Tarspin wrote:
wap wrote:
5/7 look.

Oh yea, he'd never have done it without :tits: wanting it.

Tarspin
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 am

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote:
He never had his kitchen.

Detroit

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 am

Tarspin wrote:
wap wrote:
I had ZERO say in this kitchen. I just did the work and gave some suggestions (that were ignored) on colors and layout.

TBH, the open shelving isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Dishes stay surprisingly clean, it's really easy to find what you're looking for (I can't remember where anything is my kitchen, I open and close cabinets at least 3 or 4 times looking for what I need), and overall looks decent.

Wap, to your earlier question, the shelves aren't actually attached to the pipes. I bought straps to do so but they ended up being unnecessary. First, they're so heavy that they won't go anywhere, and second when I screwed the end caps on, I did so with the shelves in place. Doing that tightened the caps into the shelves and snugged them into place. They can still move if you try, but they don't on their own easily.

All that said, I really don't care for the "rustic" :gag: look. :tits: would live in a damned tree if she could, but this is just a bit far for me. I prefer things that better fit the character of the house, but whatever. if I was 100% calling the shots, I would have reused our upper cabinets, but cut them down to accommodate the wider vent hood (which is really a 5/7 call), and had doors made with glass in the middle to give a see-through look. Painted the walls a more neutral gray and used a muted green/green subway tile with a fun pattern for the backsplash with a grout color close to matching the walls.

At least the functionality is solid.
Desertbreh wrote:

golftdibrad
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:47 am

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote:
I had ZERO say in this kitchen. I just did the work and gave some suggestions (that were ignored) on colors and layout.

TBH, the open shelving isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Dishes stay surprisingly clean, it's really easy to find what you're looking for (I can't remember where anything is my kitchen, I open and close cabinets at least 3 or 4 times looking for what I need), and overall looks decent.

Wap, to your earlier question, the shelves aren't actually attached to the pipes. I bought straps to do so but they ended up being unnecessary. First, they're so heavy that they won't go anywhere, and second when I screwed the end caps on, I did so with the shelves in place. Doing that tightened the caps into the shelves and snugged them into place. They can still move if you try, but they don't on their own easily.

All that said, I really don't care for the "rustic" :gag: look. :tits: would live in a damned tree if she could, but this is just a bit far for me. I prefer things that better fit the character of the house, but whatever. if I was 100% calling the shots, I would have reused our upper cabinets, but cut them down to accommodate the wider vent hood (which is really a 5/7 call), and had doors made with glass in the middle to give a see-through look. Painted the walls a more neutral gray and used a muted green/green subway tile with a fun pattern for the backsplash with a grout color close to matching the walls.

yea.....those colors are a terrible combination, sorry bro :gag: . The gray backsplash is good and a light green wall paint would look stellar with it. The reverse would also be true as you suggest, but green tile might get dated quickly.

This is real design (as opposed to pinshit) 101: light colors open up spaces. So in a smallish kitchen with 8' ceilings you should NOT go with dark on dark on dark on dark.
golftdibrad wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm even :wrong: about joking about being :wrong:

DFD: welcometothepartypal.gif

Detroit

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 am

golftdibrad wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:47 am
Detroit wrote:

yea.....those colors are a terrible combination, sorry bro :gag: . The gray backsplash is good and a light green wall paint would look stellar with it. The reverse would also be true as you suggest, but green tile might get dated quickly.

This is real design (as opposed to pinshit) 101: light colors open up spaces. So in a smallish kitchen with 8' ceilings you should NOT go with dark on dark on dark on dark.
I know.... :rolleyes:

It's actually not THAT bad in person, but whatever. Again, I had ZERO say.
Desertbreh wrote:

wap

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote:

Oh, interesting. Makes sense. :notbad:

Give it some time. Shit will get greasy eventually.

Detroit

Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm

wap wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:08 pm
Detroit wrote:

Oh, interesting. Makes sense. :notbad:

Give it some time. Shit will get greasy eventually.
None of the plates and whatnot do, but we go through them too fast I think. Choosing a vent hood larger than the range was also a 5/7 decision. It's amazing how much that thing sucks up, and we've already cleaned the filters in the hood. I think that's where most of the stuff goes.
Desertbreh wrote:

• Information