Can/should we create a code of conduct ?

Issues, complaints, and questions... in here!

Should we create a code of conduct ?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 12
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Preface: This is a serious question, not some kind of trolling attempt at stirring shit up.

It seems like most of us have been affected by the lack of a code of conduct within this forum, at some point or other people are ridiculed/insulted or trolled etc.

Every member on this forum should abide by said rules, and violations are enforceable, through various punishments (temp loss of access/warnings/bans etc).

The part I am somewhat uncertain about is as to WHO should be enforcing violations and what rules are binding said individual(s), and should said individual be elected by the majority of the forum or selected by the hosts etcs.

And of course, finding a code of conduct that works with everyone will not be an easy thing to sign off, as we all agree and disagree constantly, but I think it would help keep the dialogue going in a nonconfrontational way if we chose that path.

If we decide to leave things as is, one should NOT be forced to any sort of censorship or group "justice" by a select few on this forum, this happens very frequently here and is dismissed by those enforcing it, by simply saying "leave", or "i don't do this", or whatever the reason is deemed to be in their eyes.

Let me know your thoughts guys.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Fuck you max

:evilplan: :trollface: :pftch: :lolol:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:aintcare:

if something pisses you off, close :bread: and :gtfo:

we self moderate pretty well. Just dont be a cunt and continuously harass a person. :deadhorse:

So me where on teh DFD that they touched you.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:popcorn:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:disgust:
max225

dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:05 pm :aintcare:

if something pisses you off, close :bread: and :gtfo:

we self moderate pretty well. Just dont be a cunt and continuously harass a person. :deadhorse:

So me where on teh DFD that they touched you.
Who is "we " in self-moderate?
I mean this isn't a wrong statement to make as we all share a lot of collective similarities (love of cars, gender, race, age (mostly)) so that in itself makes it easy.
However, we do have a lot of tension still with many continuously complaining about someone offending them/threatening to quit/quitting etc. I mean you can't be blind to all that.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

We have rules.
'dont be a dick'.

What defines 'a dick' is different to everyone. So we either keep it as a general guideline, or address specific items in an ever-growing list of acts.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

Melon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:16 pm We have rules.
'dont be a dick'.

What defines 'a dick' is different to everyone. So we either keep it as a general guideline, or address specific items in an ever-growing list of acts.
That's the question...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:19 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:16 pm We have rules.
'dont be a dick'.

That's the question...
Right.

I'm just reiderating the difficulty.
I feel ya man.
max225

Melon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:21 pm

That's the question...
Right.

I feel ya man.
Honestly, I started this thread because I want to make this a better place for all of us to "hang out" virtually, and so far I already received some interesting responses.
Would you say someone telling me to fuck myself is someone being a dick ?
I know you can't answer that... but if we had rules you could.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That's the question...
Right.

I feel ya man.
feel the dick

:megusta:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Right.

I feel ya man.
Honestly, I started this thread because I want to make this a better place for all of us to "hang out" virtually, and so far I already received some interesting responses.
I'd say some have thicker skin than others

I tell :fax: to go fuck off IRL all the time. That doesn't always translate to virtual humor well. I maintain the outlook that everyone here "means well". Some just carry stronger opinions and others take those the wrong way or too seriously.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:27 pm

I'd say some have thicker skin than others

I tell :fax: to go fuck off IRL all the time. That doesn't always translate to virtual humor well. I maintain the outlook that everyone here "means well". Some just carry stronger opinions and others take those the :wrong: way or too seriously.
FIFY.

:sissyfight:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:thisisfine: :like:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

The ignore function exists for a reason. Also, self moderating is what this place was built on.

Some here have thicker skin than others, but again, the ignore function exists; I suggest more people on here make use of it. I come around when I can, and generally find this place enjoyable and fun to hang out. I just don't have a ton of time outside of work to be around lately, and the damn board moves so fast, I have a hard time keeping up anyway, so any changes to the rules made at this point might be missed and cause more harm to members like me who aren't on here on a daily basis.

I guess whatever happens, I'll just deal with the outcome then.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm :thisisfine: :like:
Lol. My thoughts exactly.

Image is fun, but Image
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Acid666 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm :thisisfine: :like:
Lol. My thoughts exactly.

Image is fun, but Image
:yesth:

Fuck it, if things get too sideways I take a break but I'm also closely analysing OPP before I take it to heart. Some depressed MF dislikes me and I'm :aintcare: , hope he gets better. Not to say it's not #metoo sometimes but I'm learning. :aintcare: about most incidents.

Mods have the power to kick people out so with that responsibility as an authority figure I think they have to stay even keel and try to bring positive experiences to other forum members whenever addressing open issues. Dont really wanna lose any.

The rest of it seems to take care of itself most times for what i see.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:54 pm Preface: This is a serious question, not some kind of trolling attempt at stirring shit up.

It seems like most of us have been affected by the lack of a code of conduct within this forum, at some point or other people are ridiculed/insulted or trolled etc.

Every member on this forum should abide by said rules, and violations are enforceable, through various punishments (temp loss of access/warnings/bans etc).

The part I am somewhat uncertain about is as to WHO should be enforcing violations and what rules are binding said individual(s), and should said individual be elected by the majority of the forum or selected by the hosts etcs.

And of course, finding a code of conduct that works with everyone will not be an easy thing to sign off, as we all agree and disagree constantly, but I think it would help keep the dialogue going in a nonconfrontational way if we chose that path.

If we decide to leave things as is, one should NOT be forced to any sort of censorship or group "justice" by a select few on this forum, this happens very frequently here and is dismissed by those enforcing it, by simply saying "leave", or "i don't do this", or whatever the reason is deemed to be in their eyes.

My thoughts are that this forum is like anything else......vote with your feet. If you think you're getting beat up in here or it is an otherwise unpleasant place to be......don't be here? DFD isn't some perfect democracy where your first amendment rights are sacrosanct.....you don't have "rights" here.....because 1) it's just the internet and 2) you haven't bought anything.....you're not a stockholder. It's just a forum. If you were a member of a local cycling club and every time you went you thought "man, I'm getting tired of these guys".......you would just stop going? How is this any different?

To the extent that this is just more bristling that Melon, [user not found] or [user not found] are somehow being the boss of you........there's a reason those guys are "in charge." First, [user not found] does all the fucking work around here, he can tell people to sod off. Second, Melon is the nicest guy on this forum, nobody would debate this except you. If he's telling you you're being a dick....you're being a dick with a fair amount of certainty. [user not found].....I don't know why he's in charge.... :)

Max, you're a good guy, but your internet personality is occasionally Stalingradesque insofar as pages and pages of pounding your position. This wears on some. You never think you're doing anything wrong....you be like all :wut:

TLDR. There is not really a problem here, IMHO.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:27 pm

I maintain the outlook that everyone here "means well". Some just carry stronger opinions and others take those the wrong way or too seriously.
I mostly agree with this. I think we all generally like each other here, to WIDELY varying degrees to be sure, but I don't believe there's any actual dislike of anybody here. Sure, some of you can sometimes be annoying as fuck, but a little spice and :salt: is good for a relationshit. ;)

Plus, as :melon: said, "don't be a dick", or, "don't be a cunt, be fabulous", take your pick, is pretty comprehensive. As to how to define it, I suppose it's like pron, you know it when you see it.

Let's not also forget Rule #4: No bitchassness, which I take to mean don't be a constant whiner/complainer. Or am I :wrong: about that: Undoubtedly I am :wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:54 pm Preface: This is a serious question, not some kind of trolling attempt at stirring shit up.

My thoughts are that this forum is like anything else......vote with your feet. If you think you're getting beat up in here or it is an otherwise unpleasant place to be......don't be here? DFD isn't some perfect democracy where your first amendment rights are sacrosanct.....you don't have "rights" here.....because 1) it's just the internet and 2) you haven't bought anything.....you're not a stockholder. It's just a forum. If you were a member of a local cycling club and every time you went you thought "man, I'm getting tired of these guys".......you would just stop going? How is this any different?

To the extent that this is just more bristling that Melon, [user not found] or [user not found] are somehow being the boss of you........there's a reason those guys are "in charge." First, [user not found] does all the fucking work around here, he can tell people to sod off. Second, Melon is the nicest guy on this forum, nobody would debate this except you. If he's telling you you're being a dick....you're being a dick with a fair amount of certainty. [user not found].....I don't know why he's in charge.... :)

Max, you're a good guy, but your internet personality is occasionally Stalingradesque insofar as pages and pages of pounding your position. This wears on some. You never think you're doing anything wrong....you be like all :wut:

You're literally putting everything back on me with all these statements, while simultaneously backing the current forum structure. That isn't the point, I am not singling myself out in all this, this IS NOT ABOUT ME. This is about this forum.

I am not a sole person that has been brushed with the stroke of genius of some of us on this very forum. Most have been affected and threaten to quit or quit and came back etc ([user not found] himself, Melon, Detroit, Waxer all left at some point), too lazy to list all the others. Are you willing to brush that all aside ?

I actually really don't appreciate your post because you're placing the blame on one individual, now if you're willing to say that I am the source of all quitting/bickering etc then its fair, is that your point ? I created a poll and I asked for feedback, is this something a person that is the sole contributor to turbulence does ?

I am not to say that I never contributed to arguing or what not, I certainly have. I would be bound by the rules just like everyone else.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm

You're literally putting everything back on me with all these statements, while simultaneously backing the current forum structure. That isn't the point, I am not singling myself out in all this, this IS NOT ABOUT ME. This is about this forum.

I am not a sole person that has been brushed with the stroke of genius of some of us on this very forum. Most have been affected and threaten to quit or quit and came back etc ([user not found] himself, Melon, Detroit, Waxer all left at some point), too lazy to list all the others. Are you willing to brush that all aside ?

I actually really don't appreciate your post because you're placing the blame on one individual, now if you're willing to say that I am the source of all quitting/bickering etc then its fair, is that your point ? I created a poll and I asked for feedback, is this something a person that is the sole contributor to turbulence does ?

I am not to say that I never contributed to arguing or what not, I certainly have. I would be bound by the rules just like everyone else.
I am not, that would be untrue. You are, however the leading proponent of discussions on rule making, why?
Defections on this forum are never caused by a single post, but instead by a body of work. It is the wearing down over a period of time that ticks people off, a generalized feeling of getting beat up, not a single backhand across the face....I don't think you can legislate that. The "offender" will always be "show me where I said that, or show me how I did that".......when the reality is, that for the reasonable person, it is the overall course of conduct over maybe pages, maybe a hundred pages, that is offensive. If you're a flagrant dick in a way that would violate a code of conduct, you get hounded out of here at Mach 10.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I think the structure is fine - creating rules/admin enforcement structure is a no-win situation for a forum that attempts to be inclusive.

There are some that need to have "thicker skin" there are others that can stand to lose the dickiness.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:25 pm Honestly, I started this thread because I want to make this a better place for all of us to "hang out" virtually, and so far I already received some interesting responses.
Policing the intent of posts is an area I'd rather not get into.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I will say that being a dick at times, and seeing the community reaction to that has been more of a reason I've changed some behaviors, more than any rules would have done.
max225

Melon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:45 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:25 pm Honestly, I started this thread because I want to make this a better place for all of us to "hang out" virtually, and so far I already received some interesting responses.
Policing the intent of posts is an area I'd rather not get into.
Ironically it was a post made in response to someone trying to make the place better for everyone :-/