Sawcy Camper Conversion

Strut your greasy stuff!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 am

I had that thought as well.. I should be able to find something with fewer miles on it too.
Caution...the smog folks will run the VIN and know what engine it's supposed to have. They will absolutely check to make sure it's the same. If you swap it to something different, you need to jump through hoops to get it approved.

It's highly unlikely that the engine is bad and causing the CEL. More than likely, it's evap, cat, or sensor related. I'd leave an engine swap as a last resort.
Oh dang. Thanks for the pro tips.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:07 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:36 am This should work, yeah?
MOTOPOWER MP69033 Car OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Engine Fault Code Reader Scanner CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for All OBD II Protocol Cars Since 1996 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3HB7DR/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Or if anyone has a preferred scanner that they recommend, let me know!
I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mestart-OBDII-OB ... 78&sr=1-16

It connects to the phone via bluetooth and I downloaded the Torque app to scan, read, and clear codes (I actually paid for the premium version, but you can read codes with the free one I believe). I've had it on all sorts of vehicles and it always works well.
:dat:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

When you're ready for your "FREE CANDY" vinyl decals lemme know.
You do have a bit more windows than your typical Chomo van tho
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:07 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:36 am This should work, yeah?
MOTOPOWER MP69033 Car OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Engine Fault Code Reader Scanner CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for All OBD II Protocol Cars Since 1996 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3HB7DR/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Or if anyone has a preferred scanner that they recommend, let me know!
I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mestart-OBDII-OB ... 78&sr=1-16

It connects to the phone via bluetooth and I downloaded the Torque app to scan, read, and clear codes (I actually paid for the premium version, but you can read codes with the free one I believe). I've had it on all sorts of vehicles and it always works well.
Ordered, thank you!
SAWCE

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 am When you're ready for your "FREE CANDY" vinyl decals lemme know.
Will hit you up for some vinyls for sure!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I had that thought as well.. I should be able to find something with fewer miles on it too.
Caution...the smog folks will run the VIN and know what engine it's supposed to have. They will absolutely check to make sure it's the same. If you swap it to something different, you need to jump through hoops to get it approved.

It's highly unlikely that the engine is bad and causing the CEL. More than likely, it's evap, cat, or sensor related. I'd leave an engine swap as a last resort.
I meant 5.9 for 5.9. Should have said engine replacement.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 am Found the 1999 brochure for the Ram Vans - 5.2 was standard on the 3500 with the 5.9 being optional. You've got a 35 gallon fuel tank standard, :doe:

Is the hitch a factory part or aftermarket - may be equipped with the optional towing package (aux trans oil cooler, uprated alternator, and more engine cooling capacity).

https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/upload ... am-Van.pdf
I’m not sure how to tell if it’s factory or aftermarket.. any tips? I’ll look for whatever I can when I get home from work.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I feel like this thread is really a shot in the arm for the forum. It's like we are all standing around this nasty bitch with a beer checking it out.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:07 pm I feel like this thread is really a shot in the arm for the forum. It's like we are all standing around this nasty bitch with a beer checking it out.
Feel free to actually come check it out and crush a beer or two if you’re ever in SD.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:07 pm I feel like this thread is really a shot in the arm for the forum. It's like we are all standing around this nasty bitch with a beer checking it out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 am When you're ready for your "FREE CANDY" vinyl decals lemme know.
Chomo… are you perhaps a fan of Your Mom’s House podcasts?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

100%
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I think it's kinda funny that the value of gas in the vehicle is nearly 20% of the overall value of the vehicle.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 pm
Feel free to actually come check it out and crush a beer or two if you’re ever in SD.
I will do that now that I can actually have fun. I feel this was sort of whimsical on your part. Your moves are usually much more calculated.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:35 pm I think it's kinda funny that the value of gas in the vehicle is nearly 20% of the overall value of the vehicle.
:lol: Truth!
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 pm

I will do that now that I can actually have fun. I feel this was sort of whimsical on your part. Your moves are usually much more calculated.
Definitely whimsical and spur of the moment. It’s an idea I’ve always enjoyed, saw the van, price was decent, so said fuck it and pulled the trigger. Cost of entry was low enough that I’m not worried about losing my ass if I need to turn around and sell the van for some reason. $1200, plus whatever tax (bill of sale was written up for a few hundred less, so that’ll save a couple bucks in tax too). $10 obd2 dongle to have you guys help me diagnose the problem. If I can have it up and running, registered, and smogged for under $3k I’ll count that as a win.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Only when the calculations involve measuring the precise amount of lean chicken to put into the blender.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:10 pm

Definitely whimsical and spur of the moment. It’s an idea I’ve always enjoyed, saw the van, price was decent, so said fuck it and pulled the trigger. Cost of entry was low enough that I’m not worried about losing my ass if I need to turn around and sell the van for some reason. $1200, plus whatever tax (bill of sale was written up for a few hundred less, so that’ll save a couple bucks in tax too). $10 obd2 dongle to have you guys help me diagnose the problem. If I can have it up and running, registered, and smogged for under $3k I’ll count that as a win.
If you can get it smogged and registered, it's probably a $5k vehicle in this market. Absolutely winning if you can accomplish that for $3k or under.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm
Chomo… are you perhaps a fan of Your Mom’s House podcasts?
Negative ghost writer.
SAWCE

Shame on me for not checking the Amazon link, but that scanner isn’t compatible with iPhones. New scanner ordered, should be here Friday.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I agree. I'm not familiar with the CA laws really, but I imagine if you go through the list Max provided, you may drop the code (could be misfire). Grabbing whatever other codes are there is a place to start, it could be really easy to fix. Also, I think these things are pretty bullet proof, many have like half a million miles, get the kinks worked out and it should be fine for a long time.

The suspension is likely pretty worn out as well. It could probably use new shocks and honestly bushings and stuff but those are a PITA, I would maybe just leave them be if they pass a visual inspection.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:09 am

I agree. I'm not familiar with the CA laws really, but I imagine if you go through the list Max provided, you may drop the code (could be misfire). Grabbing whatever other codes are there is a place to start, it could be really easy to fix. Also, I think these things are pretty bullet proof, many have like half a million miles, get the kinks worked out and it should be fine for a long time.

The suspension is likely pretty worn out as well. It could probably use new shocks and honestly bushings and stuff but those are a PITA, I would maybe just leave them be if they pass a visual inspection.
They dgaf about shocks and stuff for the smog checks here AFAIK. It’s just making sure there are no CELs and the emissions are within spec.

Speaking of suspension though, whenever I do replace all of that, it would be kinda cool to lift this thing an extra couple of inches for some extra ground clearance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:14 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:09 am

They dgaf about shocks and stuff for the smog checks here AFAIK. It’s just making sure there are no CELs and the emissions are within spec.

Speaking of suspension though, whenever I do replace all of that, it would be kinda cool to lift this thing an extra couple of inches for some extra ground clearance.
You should do a burnout to see if it's got a locking diff.

At my old job, I worked with this cool hipster dude who had an old GM van with some A/Ts and a small lift. It was RWD but had a locking rear diff, he said he never got stuck, and he went all over the deserts outside of LA. The van was super :neat:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:22 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:14 am

You should do a burnout to see if it's got a locking diff.

At my old job, I worked with this cool hipster dude who had an old GM van with some A/Ts and a small lift. It was RWD but had a locking rear diff, he said he never got stuck, and he went all over the deserts outside of LA. The van was super :neat:
Some slightly bigger A/T tires would be legit too.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

:popcorn:

Love the new Shaggin Wagon project. Hopefully the smog fix will be relatively DIY-able.

Reminds me of what my dad did not too long ago. He bought an old ambulance-that-wasn’t-actually-ever-an-ambulance and made it a camper type thing. Painted it, added a futon and paddleboard racks in the back, made like a deck with an umbrella slot on the top, that thing is dope. Plus it has the Ford 7.3 powerstroke. I think he said he’s gonna sell it soon.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project