The resident Turk vehicular thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:45 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:30 am

BMW pricing is very odd. The pleb models are still really expensive to buy new and depreciate a shit ton but lease pretty well. Real M cars depreciate at a far lower rate so they're pricey no matter, but at least you won't lose your ass when you :plac: Non-M cars are cheap AF used.
What you and :melon: , and well you again (🤣 ) are doing is clearly the best way to own a BMW. Buy a used pleb spec and throw some fun parts at it to wake the thing up a little, and forget that it even represents a badge.
Kind of... I mean, it's still far from an actual M3... gotta pay to play. But it is probably as fun as any M330/35/40i for 1/3 the price, so there's that. :scrooge: special.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:47 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:45 am

What you and :melon: , and well you again (🤣 ) are doing is clearly the best way to own a BMW. Buy a used pleb spec and throw some fun parts at it to wake the thing up a little, and forget that it even represents a badge.
Kind of... I mean, it's still far from an actual M3... gotta pay to play. But it is probably as fun as any M330/35/40i for 1/3 the price, so there's that. :scrooge: special.
The M3 is a whole different beast, but I'd rather have a Cayman or Evora once that becomes the primary goal.

Anything equal to or above a GTI performance wise is honestly peak allowable performance on most roads, even my R doesn't do much more then 15 over the speed limit, so a buyer is left with a badge and appearance IMO.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:44 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 am I am at a point to say, fuck the new banger. The best thing I can do is to see whats available when the time comes to my liking in terms my ideal budget. Thats pretty much it at this point.
Yeah I would wait as long as possible, things might get a bit less :fullretard: with used prices.

I will die on my M2 hill for you in this situation.

If you can get a :dill: on a new M340 lease that could be dece as well if you're cool with the cashola outlay.
:zing:

Basically I want a new BMW, but not a new inline 6 BMW payment :hue:

But residual lease deals constantly change and now up to a number thats not to my liking. But that being said, I will pretty much dump most of the moola I got from my mexican egg, so I won't continuously have to deal with paying more. Worst comes to worst, it'll be a m240 :manuel: for sure and that's not bad in my book. I have drink too much VAG cool aid so anything VAG other than Porsche (which I can't justify one as a daily) is out of the question.

I like (sorry want) manual, but I don't mind the zf8 speed since I know they're pretty smooth for an auto.
I promise myself not to get another black interior, but most of the m240's I've found are nothing but Buhlack, M2 black is the only choice.
Even if I get the inline 6 basic bitch mobile, I'd definitely spring up an NB miata (hopefully not a barnes spec) after the upcoming winter, don't care if AC works or radio, I can use my bluetooth speaker for it anyway.

Even England gets the :manuel: g20 m340i and a wagon, why can't we :sad:

But time will tell what will happen till then
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Happy forth of July Folks! MERICAA
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:44 am

Yeah I would wait as long as possible, things might get a bit less :fullretard: with used prices.

I will die on my M2 hill for you in this situation.

If you can get a :dill: on a new M340 lease that could be dece as well if you're cool with the cashola outlay.

But residual lease deals constantly change and now up to a number thats not to my liking. But that being said, I will pretty much dump most of the moola I got from my mexican egg, so I won't continuously have to deal with paying more. Worst comes to worst, it'll be a m240 :manuel: for sure and that's not bad in my book. I have drink too much VAG cool aid so anything VAG other than Porsche (which I can't justify one as a daily) is out of the question.

I like (sorry want) manual, but I don't mind the zf8 speed since I know they're pretty smooth for an auto.
I promise myself not to get another black interior, but most of the m240's I've found are nothing but Buhlack, M2 black is the only choice.
Even if I get the inline 6 basic bitch mobile, I'd definitely spring up an NB miata (hopefully not a barnes spec) after the upcoming winter, don't care if AC works or radio, I can use my bluetooth speaker for it anyway.

What's your setup regarding living arrangements in America vs Turkey? Is your whole family coming back or are you on your own?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:16 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:47 pm

What's your setup regarding living arrangements in America vs Turkey? Is your whole family coming back or are you on your own?
For US
My family are coming back with me and still currently have US income, same as my parents. My mom works in the travel industry and one of their friends (which I used to work for) does as well, things are really began to pick up right now. They plan to move to Turkey once they retire in a few years and visit me for a few months or more as we have some family here and some friends as a family. My GTI is paid off and sold it for $9,000, I keep that money with me for a downpayment.
On top of that, I'm in a process of working for the US sales (basically a traveling sales) for a Greek company which already excels well in England, Spain, Netherlands and now in the US, and I don't wanna fully disclose that right now just yet. I will be heading to their factory at end of this month in Greece. I truly don't have a problem with $600 monthly payments at best.

For Turkey
We have an apartment in a more upscale part of the city thats already been paid off (used to be my aunts) and kind of neglected for not living in for a decade (which we restored to some extent), plus a super small summer place in islands in South of Istanbul. My grandparents are :waxer: but also way too :scrooge: you couldn't even tell they're :waxer: if you look at them or don't know them. Right now getting a job in Turkey is pretty much impossible, especially with the pandemic and the economic situation. Even if I do get a job there, I wouldn't even be able to pay rent in the US. The Clio is staying.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:58 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:16 am

For US
My family are coming back with me and still currently have US income, same as my parents. My mom works in the travel industry and one of their friends (which I used to work for) does as well, things are really began to pick up right now. They plan to move to Turkey once they retire in a few years and visit me for a few months or more as we have some family here and some friends as a family. My GTI is paid off and sold it for $9,000, I keep that money with me for a downpayment.
On top of that, I'm in a process of working for the US sales (basically a traveling sales) for a Greek company which already excels well in England, Spain, Netherlands and now in the US, and I don't wanna fully disclose that right now just yet. I will be heading to their factory at end of this month in Greece. I truly don't have a problem with $600 monthly payments at best.

For Turkey
We have an apartment in a more upscale part of the city thats already been paid off (used to be my aunts) and kind of neglected for not living in for a decade (which we restored to some extent), plus a super small summer place in islands in South of Istanbul. My grandparents are :waxer: but also way too :scrooge: you couldn't even tell they're :waxer: if you look at them or don't know them. Right now getting a job in Turkey is pretty much impossible, especially with the pandemic and the economic situation. Even if I do get a job there, I wouldn't even be able to pay rent in the US. The Clio is staying.
Nice to come home to work. I thought that your parents might already be retired and staying in Turkey. Are you using the car you will buy for the sales job with the Greek company? It might matter if you pick up a lease and have to do a lot of kms.... $600/month is pretty decent as a car payment, a little :waxer: but Max's lease payment was about that on an M3! We paid about that on my wife's Touareg lease, but it was zero down and 10k on the hood.

Your grandparents are playing their cards right, people don't get rich by :troywax: , that's the old-school way.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:24 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:58 am

For US

For Turkey
Nice to come home to work. I thought that your parents might already be retired and staying in Turkey. Are you using the car you will buy for the sales job with the Greek company? It might matter if you pick up a lease and have to do a lot of kms.... $600/month is pretty decent as a car payment, a little :waxer: but Max's lease payment was about that on an M3! We paid about that on my wife's Touareg lease, but it was zero down and 10k on the hood.

Your grandparents are playing their cards right, people don't get rich by :troywax: , that's the old-school way.
My grandparents are still rolling around in a 2004 Renault Megane diesel :manuel: with less than 100k km's, they're barely driving the car anymore. They always save save save and negotiate to the teeth. They don't :troywax: on brands, jewelry, etc. They're really :aintcare: for materialistic things and only really :troywax: on few occasions. My uncle who kept buying m3's, Cayenne, m6, macan s, etc. My grandpa bought his first car (Fiat Uno) and literally trades left and right with enthusiast cars. He has helped the downpayment, as long as the car is Renault, that was the catch.

Yes I plan to buy (or should I say get) it as a company car, I have never leased in my life. The m340i is already a great car out of the box and don't need much to make it "better". But of course I can't mod it nor change exhaust. I can change :ramz: as long as I have the stockies in the arsenal, perhaps a jb4 plug and play :tuna: and thats about it. Financing out is an option, but will need to do homework first before I pull the final plunge.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:00 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:24 am

My grandparents are still rolling around in a 2004 Renault Megane diesel :manuel: with less than 100k km's, they're barely driving the car anymore. They always save save save and negotiate to the teeth. They don't :troywax: on brands, jewelry, etc. They're really :aintcare: for materialistic things and only really :troywax: on few occasions. My uncle who kept buying m3's, Cayenne, m6, macan s, etc. My grandpa bought his first car (Fiat Uno) and literally trades left and right with enthusiast cars. He has helped the downpayment, as long as the car is Renault, that was the catch.

Yes I plan to buy (or should I say get) it as a company car, I have never leased in my life. The m340i is already a great car out of the box and don't need much to make it "better". But of course I can't mod it nor change exhaust. I can change :ramz: as long as I have the stockies in the arsenal, perhaps a jb4 plug and play :tuna: and thats about it. Financing out is an option, but will need to do homework first before I pull the final plunge.
I'd love to be more like your grandparents, or would love it more if my wife and I were both on board with the lifestyle. :ohwell:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:44 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:00 am

I'd love to be more like your grandparents, or would love it more if my wife and I were both on board with the lifestyle. :ohwell:
This would've been easy for me if I give up on cars as a hobby. But priorities are priorities :ohwell:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So I had my friends VW Tiguan for a week, as my friends and I went for a roadtrip. She dislikes driving, though she actually needs it to commute. I kinda wanna compare it to the Clio within my thoughts. Like VW vs Renault comparison so to speak.

I have already made a review on my review thread

Car is a 1.4t, fwd (not allspace like in the US), 6 speed DSG as it turns out, but I seem to recall it has 7 gears, :ohwell: I did the exact same trip as I did in the Renault last time, same routes, etc.

Overall, VW is more softer compared to the Renault. Steering is indeed classic modern day VW, pretty much like the softer version of my GTI. After driving loaner Jetta's, Polo rental, and my friends Polo that I cross shopped, felt pretty much the same. The 1st gen Tiguan loaner was quite uncomfortable doe.

When I got back in the Renault to drive across town after the trip, it legit felt like I was driving a go-kart. Also felt quicker too, because it is! So of course I drove :stig: Feels fairly tighter and sharper than my GTI was. I have noticed that when I drove my Grandpa's Megane and previous gen Clio. I feel like us GTI modders who tried to make our cars better, Renault basically delivers what we wanted out of our GTI's in terms of sharper handling and throttle response. I would say with Clio in particular, it is pretty much a happy medium between the GTI and the Mini, though I need to drive one.

Time for brief comparisons
Acceleration: Renault (though it is lighter)
Throttle response (esp on highway): Renault
Virescal drive on slow speeds: Renault, the VW was boaty in comparison
Ride quality: Tiguan
More fuel efficient: Renault
Stability at speed(180 kmh+): Tiguan, due to wider tires, 200 kmh literally feels like nothing when theres no wind.
Steering feel: Both are equally confidence inspiring.
Brakes for slower speeds: Renault
Brakes for higher speeds: Tiguan (all 4 discs ftw)
Lesser road noise: Tiguan
More comfortable to be in: Tiguan (I am DFD sized after all)

I will have to say, the DSG knows what it was doing when going downhill, it basically engine braked on its on with twisties. That was :impressive:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Some :plac: thoughts I posted on the :plac: thread. Definitely don't plan to switch anytime soon and I'm still happy with the car, other than the disadvantages of it's size for certain occasions. Purpose of the potential upgrade is more space and also a bit more stable on the turkish 'bahn's. At the same time, I parked in a spot that was so tight to get in that I don't really wanna imagine doing the same with the 508, the sensors in the Clio really came in handy, otherwise I would've been screwed. Site is in Greek, because the turkish site tends to get borked, but google chrome translates.

Megane hatch, either 1.5 diesel (can tune those) or the same engine as my clio (1.3t gas engine).
https://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/vie ... ult-megane

Peugeot 508's.
The diesel (1.5t to be exact), a bit of a downgrade from Clio in terms of 0-100. There's also a 2 liter version as well, but being not potentially a great seller in Turkey since taxes on the 2 liters and up are atrocious, they're quite rare and also way too expensive.
https://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/vie ... eugeot-508

The gas version, 1.6t with 180 hp (which is quite a lot for Turkey). 0-100 7.9 seconds. Don't like the wheels on this particular one doe.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:55 pm Some :plac: thoughts I posted on the :plac: thread. Definitely don't plan to switch anytime soon and I'm still happy with the car, other than the disadvantages of it's size for certain occasions. Purpose of the potential upgrade is more space and also a bit more stable on the turkish 'bahn's. At the same time, I parked in a spot that was so tight to get in that I don't really wanna imagine doing the same with the 508, the sensors in the Clio really came in handy, otherwise I would've been screwed. Site is in Greek, because the turkish site tends to get borked, but google chrome translates.

Megane hatch, either 1.5 diesel (can tune those) or the same engine as my clio (1.3t gas engine).

Peugeot 508's.
The diesel (1.5t to be exact), a bit of a downgrade from Clio in terms of 0-100. There's also a 2 liter version as well, but being not potentially a great seller in Turkey since taxes on the 2 liters and up are atrocious, they're quite rare and also way too expensive.

The gas version, 1.6t with 180 hp (which is quite a lot for Turkey). 0-100 7.9 seconds. Don't like the wheels on this particular one doe.
Megane hatch looks pretty cool! It's cool to see all of these Euro selections, even the bigger :plac: choices are :jimp: if the city driving/parking sitch allows.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Thought this as a potential :plac: contender, but the pricing along with taxes are just :fullretard: for the same money in the US you can get a g wagon g500.

https://www.bmw.com.tr/tr/all-models/3- ... spire.html

All that for a 4 banger diesel bmw, but it's a wagon! 190 hp is more than enough here, great for the bahn and diesel.
974,600 tl = $114,068
1,024,200 liras for the fake sport = $120k

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:31 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:55 pm Some :plac: thoughts I posted on the :plac: thread. Definitely don't plan to switch anytime soon and I'm still happy with the car, other than the disadvantages of it's size for certain occasions. Purpose of the potential upgrade is more space and also a bit more stable on the turkish 'bahn's. At the same time, I parked in a spot that was so tight to get in that I don't really wanna imagine doing the same with the 508, the sensors in the Clio really came in handy, otherwise I would've been screwed. Site is in Greek, because the turkish site tends to get borked, but google chrome translates.

Peugeot 508's.

Megane hatch looks pretty cool! It's cool to see all of these Euro selections, even the bigger :plac: choices are :jimp: if the city driving/parking sitch allows.
This was the said parking encounter I had, those filled purple markings, cars were parked there and forced to do a 3-5 point turn to squeeze myself in. Definitely a bit more of a compromise to upgrade in size :doe:

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I started having some thoughts based on the current direction of what I plan to do car wise in the US.

I basically promised myself to get a much better car than the GTI, more so anything other than a 4 banger and fwd for that matter...to an extent of course :wink:

But, my responsible senses kinda kicked in and I decided to lay off with the ideal car (and payments) for a while due (only for a couple months or 3) to other priorities with the gig and get something NFG in cash and likely a :manuel: (as long as it won't take an eternity to find one) for the time being. Also with the shitty market and I couldn't find the ideal car in any dealer in my spec as there are shortages in local dealers and the like. Plus that nfg car can stay as a beater. Overall it really depends if I can find a good :dill: but until then, a decade old beater life.

Here's exhibit A:
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... gen-jetta/
Here comes the unreliability stereotype, but less to go wrong, one being a :manuel: and the 2.5 NA.

This is also quite a steal for the low mileage, most prices right below it are atleast 150k miles. Im already familiar with Acuras of that era with that sort of mileage, so I doubt much will go wrong.
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... -acura-tl/

I'll look for moar.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 pm I started having some thoughts based on the current direction of what I plan to do car wise in the US.

I basically promised myself to get a much better car than the GTI, more so anything other than a 4 banger and fwd for that matter...to an extent of course :wink:

But, my responsible senses kinda kicked in and I decided to lay off with the ideal car (and payments) for a while due (only for a couple months or 3) to other priorities with the gig and get something NFG in cash and likely a :manuel: (as long as it won't take an eternity to find one) for the time being. Also with the shitty market and I couldn't find the ideal car in any dealer in my spec as there are shortages in local dealers and the like. Plus that nfg car can stay as a beater. Overall it really depends if I can find a good :dill: but until then, a decade old beater life.

Here's exhibit A:
Here comes the unreliability stereotype, but less to go wrong, one being a :manuel: and the 2.5 NA.

This is also quite a steal for the low mileage, most prices right below it are atleast 150k miles. Im already familiar with Acuras of that era with that sort of mileage, so I doubt much will go wrong.

I'll look for moar.
Yeah, the VW will be reliable engine/trans wise but likely the interior will be falling apart and stuff. Those TLs are nice, particularly if you can find a :manuel:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 pm I started having some thoughts based on the current direction of what I plan to do car wise in the US.

Here's exhibit A:

I'll look for moar.
I gave my parents my 2004, and they still have it now. There were two small issues that we fixed on the driveway over the years, a leaky front steering rack fitting which needed a copper bar assembly to resolve, and some hvac component in the dash (it might have been a fan speed potentimeter IIRC
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:38 am

Here's exhibit A:

I'll look for moar.
Yeah, the VW will be reliable engine/trans wise but likely the interior will be falling apart and stuff. Those TLs are nice, particularly if you can find a :manuel:
:notwrong: You just reminded me a common mk5 issue, which is the saggy headliner. But rest of it seemed pretty 5/7. ...as long as the Ac and heat works

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:25 pm

Here's exhibit A:

I'll look for moar.
I gave my parents my 2004, and they still have it now. There were two small issues that we fixed on the driveway over the years, a leaky front steering rack fitting which needed a copper bar assembly to resolve, and some hvac component in the dash (it might have been a fan speed potentimeter IIRC
:ohdang: I have said this before, but my TSX held up super well until I traded in. My mk7 was more unreliable than that tsx was. So any issue (other than maybe the trans, which honda was notorious for at one point) is something I won't be concerned about. Let along I can take it to any shop and it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

How my kms on the TL now? for the same price as the jetta, I only see ones no less than 170k miles. I also found a v6 2003 accord for the same price too, looked meticulous. Who knows what i can find till then
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Jackpot!! Already told my cousin to go there and check it out. The used diller got 4.5 reviews on google and looks clean. :popcorn: im coming back this upcoming Wednesday

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... 76651/NONE
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:39 pm Jackpot!! Already told my cousin to go there and check it out. The used diller got 4.5 reviews on google and looks clean. :popcorn: im coming back this upcoming Wednesday

Looks clean!

Needs more :manuel: :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:39 pm Jackpot!! Already told my cousin to go there and check it out. The used diller got 4.5 reviews on google and looks clean. :popcorn: im coming back this upcoming Wednesday

Thats a nice car, 2008 is the best year, but 05 had the kinks worked out already. A-spec has nicer wheels and :manuel: i think.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:13 am

Looks clean!

Needs more :manuel: :doe:
Sadly all the manuals ive found either has too much mileage or clapped out :sad:

But luckily my auto tsx holder revs and doesn't shift as early as possible like most modern slushboxes squeeze out mpg's.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:15 am

Thats a nice car, 2008 is the best year, but 05 had the kinks worked out already. A-spec has nicer wheels and :manuel: i think.
Type s actually, it does look a lot nicer, thats for sure. Just can't find one in decent condition and im not taking a flight for a car that Im only considering to keep for short term.

Features were quite stellar for its year too. Even has bluetooth, so no fm transmitters like I have played music off my iphone in my 04 tsx (came out in 05+ #firstyearproblems )