Das Projekt Nein Fo-Fo

Strut your greasy stuff!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:52 am
Melon wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:27 am They never go as planned indeed.
Got enough room for the belt on that A/C pulley?
I think so. There is more room than the picture lets on. If there winds up being an issue, then....

Did a solid laugh at this.

Car is coming along so well. Love how the engine looks in the bay.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Fantastic thread. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So much adversity, so many solutions.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This nasty bitch is going to run like a scalded cat.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:51 pm So much adversity, so many solutions.
Seriously incredible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:51 pm So much adversity, so many solutions.
Yeah, man. I basically go through a few stages that can be summed up by "Liar Liar."

My initial reaction when it doesn't jive:

My realizing how much is going to need to be undone because there is no easy solution:

My wanting to unload my frustrations on the project, but realizing how much I have already invested:

My regrouping and discovering a solution:

And finally, my looking at the final product:
wap

:lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:28 pm
Yeah, man. I basically go through a few stages that can be summed up by "Liar Liar."

My realizing how much is going to need to be undone because there is no easy solution:

My wanting to unload my frustrations on the project, but realizing how much I have already invested:

This is absolutely hilarious, but I deal with enough of that at work, doing it in my free time.....I just can't do it. Hence my :amazing: at this seriously :impressive: work. I'm honestly more impressed by the engineering than the car, and the car is pretty fucking bad ass.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:34 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:28 pm

This is absolutely hilarious, but I deal with enough of that at work, doing it in my free time.....I just can't do it. Hence my :amazing: at this seriously :impressive: work. I'm honestly more impressed by the engineering than the car, and the car is pretty fucking bad ass.
:dat:

I seriously admire guys who do builds like this, the :melon: E30, etc. I love seeing these projects, they are so awesome, but I just can't. I'm over here offing a perfectly good C5 because I don't want to deal with clutch, diff, and harmonic balancer woes.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:34 pm This is absolutely hilarious, but I deal with enough of that at work, doing it in my free time.....I just can't do it. Hence my :amazing: at this seriously :impressive: work. I'm honestly more impressed by the engineering than the car, and the car is pretty fucking bad ass.

I seriously admire guys who do builds like this, the :melon: E30, etc. I love seeing these projects, they are so awesome, but I just can't. I'm over here offing a perfectly good C5 because I don't want to deal with clutch, diff, and harmonic balancer woes.
If you had a garage/shop it could live in for months without being in your way it might be different. That's what I would need before taking on a cool project.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am
D Griff wrote:

If you had a garage/shop it could live in for months without being in your way it might be different. That's what I would need before taking on a cool project.
:notwrong:

We currently own three cars again for a bit and it is :disgust: with the dumb single wide driveway.

:ohwell:

I don't regret this house, it does offer a lot of beneshits that wouldn't be possible in a house with a garage in our price range, like being able to bike everywhere, being close to friends/family, having cool neighbors, etc.
Huckleberry

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am
D Griff wrote:

The garage space definitely helps, and also enables vehicle accumulation. Before I bought this house, I had only my GTO as a toy. Now, the 944 is my 5th build and the 3rd toy in the stable.
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:01 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:34 pm

It's understandable. It does take money and time, and if you'd rather devote those resources to something else, then there isn't a reason to keep the car around. Plus, repairs aren't ever as fun as upgrades.

I bought an 89 Camaro back in 2009/2010 that quickly developed fueling issues after I got it home. The tank's filler neck cracked, and then after replacing the tank, a fuel line ruptured, and then the throttle body started acting dumb. Basically, the car just kept developing these little issues and it got to the point where I just tired of it and offloaded it to the land of Craigslist. There was a period in time where I kind of missed it because it was a 5 speed car with a hardtop and roll-down windows, and it had me briefly considering 3rd Gens for the 302, to the point where I went out and looked at one. However, after getting in the car, I said, "Oh right, this is a 3rd Gen," got back out, and crossed it off the list.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:59 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:01 am

It's understandable. It does take money and time, and if you'd rather devote those resources to something else, then there isn't a reason to keep the car around. Plus, repairs aren't ever as fun as upgrades.

I bought an 89 Camaro back in 2009/2010 that quickly developed fueling issues after I got it home. The tank's filler neck cracked, and then after replacing the tank, a fuel line ruptured, and then the throttle body started acting dumb. Basically, the car just kept developing these little issues and it got to the point where I just tired of it and offloaded it to the land of Craigslist. There was a period in time where I kind of missed it because it was a 5 speed car with a hardtop and roll-down windows, and it had me briefly considering 3rd Gens for the 302, to the point where I went out and looked at one. However, after getting in the car, I said, "Oh right, this is a 3rd Gen," got back out, and crossed it off the list.
:word:

I am already thinking about something more fun than the Bimmer :doe:

:ohwell: this is why :plac: is a disease.
Huckleberry

Next up, I decided to tackle the steering shaft. The splines on the 944 steering column and rack are 11/16"-40, so I ordered some Borgeson 11/16"-40 to 3/4" DD joints and a Summit Racing 3/4" DD shaft. Unfortunately, that plan didn't work out. Once I got the steering shaft cut to length and installed, I was experiencing binding while turning the steering wheel. After taking a look at the factory steering shaft, I noticed that the u-joints are phased about 95-100 degrees out from each other.

Due to the nature of a DD shaft, the joints can only be phased one way. So, I had to order some new joints that accept a 3/4"-36 spline shaft. At least, after having cut the DD shaft to length, I knew the proper length to get, which is good to know since the splines only reach so far.

This allowed me to mimic the factory's clocking:

I installed the assembly and wouldn't you know, the binding was gone.

For final assembly, I marked the splines and drilled holes where the set bolts were going to make contact. That way, they don't crush the splines and the joints can be removed in the future.

I picked up some -AN hose clamps from Racetronix to cleanly dress hoses. I had originally ordered some off eBay, but their sizes were incorrect. The Racetronix clamps are correct.

Power steering lines dressed:

Oil cooler lines:

After that, I spent some time in the parts store looking at the radiator hoses and picking out some that looked like they had some bends that would work. I also scooped up a fitting from ICT Billet since the LT1 water neck is 1.25" and the upper radiator port is 1.5":

The upper hose consists of that fitting, this Dayco 81141 flex hose, and a trimmed down Gates 22652:

You can see some of the trimming I had to do to the radiator support to clear the upper neck since it is angled upward.

The lower hose consists of Dayco 81071, Dayco E72359, and a 1.25" to 1.75" adapter from Filler Neck Supply (3244), which was the only stepped adapter I could find in that size.

I used the heater hoses to hold the radiator hose in place. I may revisit and make a bracket of some sort for further support:

The heater hoses are Dayco 80406 and 80407. They have molded 90* ends on one side.

I then got the Lokar cable trimmed to length and set in place. Since the picture, I have routed the cable under the fuel lines:

Finally, since my first go around with the coil packs didn't pan out, I got to work on a new and improved design using one of the brackets I had previously made:

I did a little mock-up:

I tested the plug wires I had made up for the first go-around. I think I can make them work and dress in nicely:

One issue was clearance with the oil pressure sender, so I fixed that by setting it horizontally instead of vertically:

I know what you're thinking: "Is he only going to ride with one mounting point on that bracket?" Negatory. Also, the second mount extends to the back of the bracket for lateral support:

Painted and ready for install:

Re-taped the factory harness:

And ker-pow:

Next up, I have a remote oil filter mount on order because after testing the exhaust pipe on the driver's side, the filter is going to interfere, or at least come damn close to interfering. It will certainly make oil changes more difficult, so the filter is getting moved. I already have a spot for it, so hopefully it works out in reality like it is working out in my head.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If all of this works, you're a genius. If it does not, you're still a complete fucking animal.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:39 am If all of this works, you're a genius. If it does not, you're still a complete fucking animal.
:fax:
Huckleberry

After looking further at the exhaust, I determined that the pipes were going to be running too close to the oil filter. So, I ordered a new adapter and a remote filter setup:

I utilized an existing bracket that mounts to the frame rail as the mount for the remote filter housing:

And then I ordered some new -8AN fittings to splice the housing into one of the lines I had already ran. If you are wondering about the Fram filter, it is a Fram Racing filter and is a very decent filter. If you are wondering about the Purolator filter that is installed, it is for break-in.:

Now it is time for everyone else's dreaded part, but probably one of my most enjoyable parts: wiring! I undid the Holley harness and started moving plugs around as I needed:

It was a good thing that I had to extend the coolant temp sensor plug, because this is how it was crimped onto the harness:

I'm a big proponent of saving hardware and brackets whenever I can since there have been numerous times where I have been able to use something that serves my needs rather than having to build something from scratch. In this case, I was able to use a stud from an LS coil pack bracket as a grounding point for the engine to chassis:

A while back, I had picked up some catch cans off eBay for $25. These are the same cans that Mishimoto sells for a hell of a lot more. I figured for that little amount, I can make it work. This can is a solid deal, too, as it has internal baffling and a filter. As for the bracket, I wound up cutting and bending one of the leftover axle brackets from my dad's rear disc conversion kit on his Impala.

Instead of running hoses, I decided to bend some aluminum tube I had. I also routed the fuel lines after removing the coil packs for access:

And then I pondered for a bit on how to connect the catch can to the lines I made. I quickly remembered that LS engines had a PCV port on the valley cover and GM had a tightly molded U-hose that went to the intake manifold right above it. So, I ordered two from Dorman. Part# 46056:

And here is the wiring mostly dressed into place:

Unfortunately, I tweaked my back on Friday night crawling in and out from under the car to connect the starter wiring. Of course, I was supposed to go to the drag strip the next morning for my belated bachelor party, so that didn't happen. My back is still giving me random fits, so I'm hoping that tomorrow I will be able to slowly get back into things, but we shall see.
wap

That looks killer, as usual.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

:impressive: x 1000
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Best thread. You're a fucking animal.
Huckleberry

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:43 pm Best thread. You're a fucking animal.
Huckleberry

I suppose I should update this. With the belated wedding reception happening at the beginning of September, I was a little preoccupied with the final planning. I also had to wait on some orders to come in, which also chipped away at time.

In order to get the AC completed, I need to make two lines: the #10 suction line from the compressor to the evaporator, and the #8 pressure line from the compressor to the condenser. There were a few challenges to overcome. The first was the physical line routing, especially the #10 line that needs to come off the firewall and get to the back of the low-mount compressor. The second was, well, routing again, but this time due to the space constraints in the engine bay. The third was the actual firewall connection, which used a clamp to hold the line in place much like a distributor:

Due to the space constraints, I decided to forego the standard barrier AC hose in favor or the reduced barrier hose as it is a thinner diameter and is much more flexible. Unfortunately, my crimping tool only had standard barrier beadlock dies. Instead of buying reduced barrier dies, I decided to try a different style of fitting: Burgaclip. Essentially, this barbed fitting has a plastic cage that holds two pinch clamps in place, and I already have a set of pinch clamp pliers to get the job done. I figured it was worth the shot. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any 45* fittings without a threaded nut for the firewall, so I wound up having to carefully cut the nut off.

This is the end result for the firewall connection. I just opened up the stock clamp into a "U" and slipped it over.

One thing I should have picked up on before assembling two of the lines was that the blue cages stuck out like a sore thumb. For the ones I hadn't already assembled, I painted black. For the ones that were already completed, though....

The next challenge was connecting to the back of the compressor. I had to get an adapter block, and there are only two choices for the connection points: straight out the back or 90*. The 90* option would have been perfect if it had placed the ports down instead of up into the header. So, I had to go for the straight block, which meant that I needed to do a 180* to connect to the lines, since they were going to approach from the front of the compressor. Yes, even the firewall line. I saw that Vintage Air sells what they call "U-Bend-Em" straight tubes in various lengths, so I picked up a #10 and a #8 in 12" lengths, and a tubing benders that can handle up to 7/8" aluminum tubing. It was about $160, but it is worth every penny. I would highly recommend it:

And I have my connection points:

And the reasons for the suction line coming off the firewall and going to the front of the compressor are to keep the line away from the header and to create easy access to the service port, which stupidly resides underneath the car on the factory setup.

I also did some measuring and pieced together an intake tube for the engine:

After that, I moved into the cabin to finish up the engine wiring. There were a few wires that still needed to be connected, but overall, it wasn't terrible.

While I try to keep butt connections to a minimum, these things are a gift from the heavens. They are a heat shrink with a solder sleeve, so you get a good connection while protecting the joint.

The factory 944 computer resided in a compartment under the passenger footwell. I was originally going to put the Holley computer in there, but it has some indicator LEDs that need to be viewable for quick diagnostics. Since it is compact and the 944's glovebox is deep, I felt that it could reside in there instead, and I just tucked the excess harness into the footwell compartment.

The one issue with mounting the Holley was that I had originally planned on doing some through-bolts with nuts. Unfortunately, the space in the glovebox wasn't allowing me to get a screwdriver in there to secure the bolts. So, I started looking around my bins o' stuff, and came across four spacers. I'm pretty sure they are from the Impala.

I grabbed a #10 nut and found that it just about fit into the spacer. So, I used a bolt and washer to hold the nut straight:

And then I grabbed some sockets and went to the vise:

And presto:

Now, the bolts are secured and I only need to worry about threading on the nuts from underneath:

As a wedding gift, my friend bought me a double din JVC headunit to replace the single din Pioneer. After getting the Pioneer out, I realized that the double din was going to require cutting up the center stack a bit, and I wasn't keen on the idea. Yes, I know I have cut other things without issue, but I just felt that there had to be better way that didn't involve cutting. As it turned out, there was a better way... it just involved exchanging the JVC for a Sony. The reason being that the Sony, despite having a double din screen, only used a single din mount. Of course, when the Sony arrived, we discovered that it came with neither a mounting cage nor a trim ring. We initially tested the Pioneer's cage, but that didn't work. Luckily, the previous installer left the factory radio bracket in place, so I went back to my bin o' stuff and found some metal that I figured I could make work:

After some measuring and cutting, I had something that would slide into the factory bracket's fingers and hold the head unit in place:

The next thing was cleaning up the previous installer's hackjob by replacing all of these damn butt connectors with a nice Molex MX150 connector:

This connector was literally $15 shipped:

And since the headunit didn't come with a trim ring, I ordered a universal trim kit:

I cut it down to size, wet sanded it, primed it, wet sanded it some more, primed it some more, and then painted it:

I also replaced the cigarette lighter with a dual USB socket for the headunits two USB connections:

Next up on the list is the transaxle and the exhaust.
wap

Fucking :bravo: dude. :amaze: work again, as usual.