Gberg's Alpo Gorf with a bit of Plac Profit

Strut your greasy stuff!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:24 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:34 pm woah, this is terribly shitty of Toyota to do. This seems like a huge safety issue. Should def become a recall soon. I'd point the Toyota tech to this issue, and maybe let Fled know so his mangler at his dealer might be able to show his network of people and escalate this internally?
He has it at my sister store and I have the service manager there kicking it to corporate. I also have a call in to my field engineer but most of corporate is on Christmas break, and I’m currently persona non grata in my region thanks to my impending departure.

TAS notes in the system I’ve been able to find are typically show the power tailgate closing and latching in that final “pull” where the striker hits the latch is part of the problem.
If something large is in the trunk and the power tailgate closes against it and it can’t give any, it’s enough to tweak the whole lift gate and pop the hinge as the jam protection stops when the latch/striker are locking. The motors are strong as that lift gate weighs a good 80-100lbs or so.
Gotcha. Just weird that it seems it isn’t just a Gberg problem.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

razr390 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:55 am
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:24 am

He has it at my sister store and I have the service manager there kicking it to corporate. I also have a call in to my field engineer but most of corporate is on Christmas break, and I’m currently persona non grata in my region thanks to my impending departure.

TAS notes in the system I’ve been able to find are typically show the power tailgate closing and latching in that final “pull” where the striker hits the latch is part of the problem.
If something large is in the trunk and the power tailgate closes against it and it can’t give any, it’s enough to tweak the whole lift gate and pop the hinge as the jam protection stops when the latch/striker are locking. The motors are strong as that lift gate weighs a good 80-100lbs or so.
Gotcha. Just weird that it seems it isn’t just a Gberg problem.
Hopefully there is a recall eventually. Rav4's obviously aren’t for enthusiasts so maybe there are a lot more out there that we don't know about.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Quick :rage: 4 update. Toyota is going to replace the hinges under warranty. Not sure why it's taking so long for them to get the parts and paint them though.

:tits: had to drop it off at the :dillerman: this morning for a new issue though. The last few days it's been taking like 4 or 5 attempts to start. I'm assuming battery or starter. That Toyota reliability is :impressive:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:17 am Quick :rage: 4 update. Toyota is going to replace the hinges under warranty. Not sure why it's taking so long for them to get the parts and paint them though.

:tits: had to drop it off at the :dillerman: this morning for a new issue though. The last few days it's been taking like 4 or 5 attempts to start. I'm assuming battery or starter. That Toyota reliability is :impressive:

Wow that's pretty shitty all around... :yikes: It's like Johnnys GTI of doom
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:17 am Quick :rage: 4 update. Toyota is going to replace the hinges under warranty. Not sure why it's taking so long for them to get the parts and paint them though.

Probably spent time in the shop with the liftgate open, then spent time on the lot not being driven, and now it's sitting overnight in the fairly cold temps (been in the 20s the last few nights) and that's a recipe for a dead battery.
Shouldn’t a battery last at least 3-6 months ? Even if the car is not driven
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm

Shouldn’t a battery last at least 3-6 months ? Even if the car is not driven
Nope.

Modern cars have a decent bit of vampire current thanks to all the modules, computers, proximity sensors, etc. Couple that with a lack of driving from Covid, spending time in the shop with the liftgate open, a few sub-freezing nights, and a battery will go dead in no time.
:disgust:

This :rage: 4 sage is quite :amazing: to watch... sucks to have that happen to a near brand new vehicle. I wonder if the replacement hinges are of superior quality, otherwise this shit will repeat a few months from now.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm

Probably spent time in the shop with the liftgate open, then spent time on the lot not being driven, and now it's sitting overnight in the fairly cold temps (been in the 20s the last few nights) and that's a recipe for a dead battery.
Seems possible but they only had it 2 days. They put the battery on some machine for a few hours which said it was done and ended up replacing it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Nope.

Modern cars have a decent bit of vampire current thanks to all the modules, computers, proximity sensors, etc. Couple that with a lack of driving from Covid, spending time in the shop with the liftgate open, a few sub-freezing nights, and a battery will go dead in no time.
:disgust:

This :rage: 4 sage is quite :amazing: to watch... sucks to have that happen to a near brand new vehicle. I wonder if the replacement hinges are of superior quality, otherwise this shit will repeat a few months from now.
I wish I could request land cruiser hinges be retrofitted to it instead of the standard ones. I don't know why it's taking them so long to get and paint them. Hopefully they replace the power struts too.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Have them check the VIN against a TSB for the DCM software that causes no start concerns. It’s been an issue with the 4G/wifi modules
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote:

Have them check the VIN against a TSB for the DCM software that causes no start concerns. It’s been an issue with the 4G/wifi modules
They already replaced the battery. I didn't see any mention of a TSB but I'll have them check when it goes back tomorrow. Now that you mention the 4G/Wifi stuff, she's been unable to start the car from the app since the battery was changed. Was going to bring that up with them too but it sounds like it may be related.

Opened up the hatch for the first time in weeks to load stuff and the hinges are :impressive:

razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:16 pm
fledonfoot wrote:
They already replaced the battery. I didn't see any mention of a TSB but I'll have them check when it goes back tomorrow. Now that you mention the 4G/Wifi stuff, she's been unable to start the car from the app since the battery was changed. Was going to bring that up with them too but it sounds like it may be related.

Opened up the hatch for the first time in weeks to load stuff and the hinges are :impressive:

The pics make them look broken again?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:23 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:16 pm

The pics make them look broken again?
Those are his broken ones I think
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote:
razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:23 pm The pics make them look broken again?
:dat:

I hadn't opened the hatch in a few weeks since we got it back from the initial diagnosis but I had to today. Got a better look at them and it's actually both sides of the one hinge which I couldn't tell from looking through the body gap.

It's going in tomorrow to get fixed. They said it should only take a day but I'm not sure I believe them.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:48 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
:dat:

I hadn't opened the hatch in a few weeks since we got it back from the initial diagnosis but I had to today. Got a better look at them and it's actually both sides of the one hinge which I couldn't tell from looking through the body gap.

It's going in tomorrow to get fixed. They said it should only take a day but I'm not sure I believe them.

It seems like you should open a Case with a Toyota Corp and have them make your "payments" if you have any for the last however many weeks etc, as you have a non functioning vehicle.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:48 pm :dat:

It seems like you should open a Case with a Toyota Corp and have them make your "payments" if you have any for the last however many weeks etc, as you have a non functioning vehicle.
Eh. Probably not worth it since it's only been in the shop a few days.

They're still working on it today despite the car being dropped off Monday morning. To the surprise of no one they didn't start working on it until Tuesday. This service advisor is easily the worst I've ever dealt with. Total moron.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:16 pm
max225 wrote:

They're still working on it today despite the car being dropped off Monday morning. To the surprise of no one they didn't start working on it until Tuesday. This service advisor is easily the worst I've ever dealt with. Total moron.

Hopefully whoever is working on the car is less inept. That’s not a very simple fix. Probably requires welding etc ... and making sure the gate aligns ... likely not easy at all
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:16 pm Eh. Probably not worth it since it's only been in the shop a few days.

Hopefully whoever is working on the car is less inept. That’s not a very simple fix. Probably requires welding etc ... and making sure the gate aligns ... likely not easy at all
Seems alright. Haven't checked it out in daylight yet but the hatch definitely lines up now. Replacement hinge looks okay.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Had a slight scare while leaving the :dillerman: yesterday as the car wouldn't go into reverse. There was a whole lot of resistance and it kept trying to go into first gear instead. Tech came out to try it and he said he'd never seen that before. Eventually it went back to normal on its own and I'll just keep an eye on it.

Me and VW's. :disgust:

max225

Did the unhinged Yoda ever get fixed?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:Did the unhinged Yoda ever get fixed?
The unhinged yoda has been fixed but since the battery replacement the phone app won't connect to the car anymore. :eyeroll: That's a :dillerman: visit for another day.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:32 pm
max225 wrote:Did the unhinged Yoda ever get fixed?
The unhinged yoda has been fixed but since the battery replacement the phone app won't connect to the car anymore. :eyeroll: That's a :dillerman: visit for another day.

Did they have better hinges ? Or do they look the same? Any paint issues? I am not sure I really got a paint update.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:32 pm The unhinged yoda has been fixed but since the battery replacement the phone app won't connect to the car anymore. :eyeroll: That's a :dillerman: visit for another day.

Did they have better hinges ? Or do they look the same? Any paint issues? I am not sure I really got a paint update.
Hinges look the same. No paint issues that I can tell but I didn't really inspect it that closely. I'm kinda :aintcare: since it'd only be visible with the hatch open anyway.

I don't think I took pics in the daylight but it looked okay.

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:

I missed this.

Do you remember which moron service advisor it was?

For science, of course. Also because I used to work there.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:42 pm

I missed this.

I do. It was Dan Morrow. She's going to Scarduzio from now on. Or I guess I should say I'M going to Scarduzio because she never wants to go back there.

I think the worst part was him actually saying he likes to give vague answers to customers. She was probably getting the woman treatment from him.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:31 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:42 pm

I missed this.

I do. It was Dan Morrow. She's going to Scarduzio from now on. Or I guess I should say I'M going to Scarduzio because she never wants to go back there.

I think the worst part was him actually saying he likes to give vague answers to customers. She was probably getting the woman treatment from him.
Yeah he’s awful.

Scarduzio is a slimeball and his lead tech is a crook. You’re better off working with Joe D over there out of anyone.

If you take the drive over to Princeton, you should really go work with Dan Marjarum and tell him I sent you. One of the best, straight shooting no bullshit people I’ve ever worked with. He handled all my problem customers with ease when I needed something done right... By far one of the best writers I’ve ever worked with in over a decade doing this.