Richard is a Miata addict.

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

RLWake wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 am why didn't you want the spare wheels with good tires if you are planning on track day bro shit?
I won’t have a good spot to store the spare wheels long term until I move into a new place, and I know my fiancée wouldn’t appreciate having a stack of wheels in the living room until then. Besides, I like having dual duty tires and one set of wheels. I don’t do anything serious as far as track days, just HPDE. The Conti’s on there are actually my preferred tires anyway.
wife to be is :wrong:. whatever:doe:

I read you will be doing roll bar. don't be stupid like I was and not get the bar pad. you 100% need it on a street car or you might crack the skull with a minor accident
brain go brrrrrr
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Haven't even seen the car yet, and I've already made my first purchase for it :derp:

Thanks to [user not found]'s installation of a Raceseng knob in the car previously, I went and checked them out and WOW they make great stuff. I've kinda fallen in love with the Sphereology and now one may or may not be on the way to my place...

I already know I don't like the NC's stock knob from driving a couple of friends' cars, so I think it's a good choice.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I've done some more research on little interior customizations.

To start with, I want to wrap the main silver dash panels and probably the ring around the shifter Yellow. It would really piss me off, though, if the wrap I'm gonna use for it isn't almost exactly the same color as the exterior. I found a company online that would print custom colored wraps matched to any vehicle paint code, but boy it wasn't cheap. $50 for a SAMPLE that's only 3" by 5"!
:triggered:

To hell with that. I went and looked at 3M's color wrap catalog, and found "Glossy Sunflower Yellow." :notsure:

This catches my eye, because Competition Yellow (code A6Y) is also referred to by Mazda as "Sunflower Yellow." Like, if you want to order touch up paint, their system labels it as Sunflower Yellow (so I've heard)... The colors look damn near the same on a screen, and it's only $13 for a 60" by 12" piece, which is much more reasonable and enough for what I want to do anyway if it turns out to be close enough. I'm gonna order a piece and we'll see.

Next, time to tackle the steering wheel. For now, I just want to get rid of the silvery trim bits. After some research, I found that an ~2007 CX-7 shares an identical steering wheel to the NC, and a CX-7 Grand Touring has both the black ring on the airbag / horn cover AND the black spoke trim!
:neat:

And wouldn't you know that there's a 2007 CX-7 Grand Touring with the steering wheel I need sitting in my local LKQ yard! I'm gonna check it out on Friday. If it's in good shape, I'll snag it for less than $20 and swap the trim and airbag onto the :meata: at some point. If not, I can look in other yards or wait for a suitable donor car to come along. Hooray for cheap mods!

Next will be roll hoops, speaker rings, vent rings, and door handles and pulls. That's for another research session, though.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

FWIW I have a Sparco R100 seat and it is pretty sweet, might be a worthwhile alternative to the A4.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 am FWIW I have a Sparco R100 seat and it is pretty sweet, might be a worthwhile alternative to the A4.
I don’t know of any good shops around me where I can go and actually try out seats, but I did find that Wine Country Motorsports has a store in Sebring and they have a seat showroom. I’m already going to the 1000 miles and the 12 hrs this year, so I think I’m gonna stop by there to try out the selection.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 am FWIW I have a Sparco R100 seat and it is pretty sweet, might be a worthwhile alternative to the A4.
I don’t know of any good shops around me where I can go and actually try out seats, but I did find that Wine Country Motorsports has a store in Sebring and they have a seat showroom. I’m already going to the 1000 miles and the 12 hrs this year, so I think I’m gonna stop by there to try out the selection.
Yeah, tracks seem like a good place to try out seats, VIR's store has a nice selection. If you're ever in NC, you're welcome to try out my Sparco R100 and QRT-R. I :wub: the QRT, it's actually shockingly comfy for long drives despite being a race seat.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 pm
RLWake wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Yeah, tracks seem like a good place to try out seats, VIR's store has a nice selection. If you're ever in NC, you're welcome to try out my Sparco R100 and QRT-R. I :wub: the QRT, it's actually shockingly comfy for long drives despite being a race seat.
Good to know about the QRT, thanks!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

They're fairly :waxer: and I've never tried them, but this being a Grand Touring, to me it deserves the QRT Performance model. Had I bought the car that's what I was planning to put in it.

https://www.sparcousa.com/product/qrt-performance
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:23 pm They're fairly :waxer: and I've never tried them, but this being a Grand Touring, to me it deserves the QRT Performance model. Had I bought the car that's what I was planning to put in it.

I’m 100% a sucker for suede seats, so we’ll see...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:23 pm They're fairly :waxer: and I've never tried them, but this being a Grand Touring, to me it deserves the QRT Performance model. Had I bought the car that's what I was planning to put in it.

:dat: is :nice:

Same exact seat I have but with nicer materials, mine was like $800ish IIRC + mounting shit. It is perfect for me at 6'2" and 190ish. I like the cloth just fine and it appears to be holding up nicely.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

#suedeseatbros :sissyfight:

All the bennies of easy to clean leather without the searing meat feel in the summer.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Funny thing I just found...

On my daily internet quest for neat car things, I was on redbubble looking for stickers and searched "NC Miata."

Wouldn't you know, a sticker featuring a very familiar car came up.

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/p/44844336.EJUG5

Seems to me like this guy took one of Zil's photos of the :meata: and turned it into a sticker :notsure: . He also edited it to be a bunch of different colors for different stickers...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:25 pm Funny thing I just found...

On my daily internet quest for neat car things, I was on redbubble looking for stickers and searched "NC Miata."

Seems to me like this guy took one of Zil's photos of the :meata: and turned it into a sticker :notsure: . He also edited it to be a bunch of different colors for different stickers...
:wtf:

That is not a cool move, guy.

In other news, have you seen/driven the :meata: yet??????
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 pm

:wtf:

That is not a cool move, guy.

In other news, have you seen/driven the :meata: yet??????
:excited: this Saturday!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Wow.
That's some :bs: . :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Finally!

I have it!

The :meata: !

I’m in love!

I don’t even know what to say... it’s just perfect. I have a seemingly permanent goofy grin stuck to my face.

I have also discovered the super secret sticker stash right by the manual. Now I need to check behind the taillights for a NEEK.

And shift knob is on! I love it already.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

:megusta:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

It looks really really happy with its new owner 😃! You got a good one no doubt!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

RLWake wrote:Finally!

I have it!

I’m in love!

I don’t even know what to say... it’s just perfect. I have a seemingly permanent goofy grin stuck to my face.

I have also discovered the super secret sticker stash right by the manual. Now I need to check behind the taillights for a NEEK.

:notbad:

Now stick it in the garage and never drive it. Gotta keep her in good shape for the next guy!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:02 pm
RLWake wrote:Finally!

I have it!

I’m in love!

:notbad:

Now stick it in the garage and never drive it. Gotta keep her in good shape for the next guy!
And put him on dfd too
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:02 pm:notbad:

Fuck that. This is my new daily!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:megusta:

It’s a rad car. Enjoy it my man.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Need to see a mileage update ... by end of month.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:44 am Need to see a mileage update ... by end of month.
Well I’m very quickly going to add 500 miles to drive her home. It’s at ~47,100 now.