Richard is a Miata addict.

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

RLWake wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 am
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:44 am Need to see a mileage update ... by end of month.
Well I’m very quickly going to add 500 miles to drive her home. It’s at ~47,100 now.
Drive home ? Wasn’t it shipped to your house ? Also keep the updates coming. It’s a really nice ride we want to keep track of :) now that everyone is going suv
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:59 am
RLWake wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 am

Well I’m very quickly going to add 500 miles to drive her home. It’s at ~47,100 now.
Drive home ? Wasn’t it shipped to your house ? Also keep the updates coming. It’s a really nice ride we want to keep track of :) now that everyone is going suv
My dad’s helping me out until the BMW is sold, so it was shipped to his house in AL. Had to make a deal when the :meata: came up for sale, since I wasn’t in a great spot to have 2 cars.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

As far as maiden voyages go, 500 miles is a pretty good one!

The drive is normally a 7 1/2 hour straight shot on the interstates back to Orlando, but I usually prefer to take the two-lane roads through most of the panhandle. Turns the journey into a little over 9 hours but it is well worth it for the better experience. Particularly, the drive south of Tallahassee in the National Forests is pretty nice. Still flat Florida with boring roads but at least there was something to look at.

Car performed like a champ besides one check engine light that came and went 15 mins into the drive :notsure: . Scanner showed an oxygen sensor slow response code, but the car showed no symptoms and it didn't reappear after clearing it... Something to keep an eye on but I'm not worried.

I'm honestly growing to like the seats, which I did not expect based on comments from you guys. Just as comfortable as the ones from the 335i (to me) and they fit me just fine. I might just get them reupholstered rather than replaced... Not sure yet.

After about 2 hours (and yes, it took that long to notice), I found something that drove me nuts for the rest of the ride. The steering wheel is a tiny bit off center. Driving straight leaves the wheel turned a couple degrees to the right :triggered: . The car still goes straight if you let go of the wheel, but fuuuck I find it so annoying even though it's so small.

Another thing about the steering wheel... not sure I like it. I like the overall look of the center parts (and after I make the trim pieces black it will be fine), but the actual circular rim of the wheel doesn't feel right to me. I think I see a Guardian Designs wheel in my future. Definitely gone up on my list of priorities.

Let's see what else... the silencers that go into the Roadstersport muffler make a big difference. The mostly kill any drone that's present at 70/75 mph which is a huge plus for me.

Oh yeah :meata: eats way less gas than the Bimmer. That thing is THIRSTY.

Overall its just a damn good car. Lots of fun, of course, but also completely intuitive and easy to understand.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
max225

What mpg did you get ? My 335 was really good on the freeway cracking 30... almost as good as my mini whole being 800lbs heavier and having 50% more cylinders :disgust:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:52 am What mpg did you get ? My 335 was really good on the freeway cracking 30... almost as good as my mini whole being 800lbs heavier and having 50% more cylinders :disgust:
Highway MPG with the 335 was fine, its the city mileage that absolutely sucks. I would average 16-17 city, usually. Miata gets like 21-22 city and 29-30 hwy. Very helpful on the city mileage since most of my day to day driving is city.

You’d think that the smaller engine would give the mini and miata far better highway mileage, but it’s all about gearing. I’m turning 3500rpm at 75 in the miata but only 2300ish in the 335. I’m sure if I gave the miata a taller final drive or 6th gear, it would get FAR better mileage (but who tf puts a taller gear in a miata???)
max225

RLWake wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:06 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:52 am What mpg did you get ? My 335 was really good on the freeway cracking 30... almost as good as my mini whole being 800lbs heavier and having 50% more cylinders :disgust:
Highway MPG with the 335 was fine, its the city mileage that absolutely sucks. I would average 16-17 city, usually. Miata gets like 21-22 city and 29-30 hwy. Very helpful on the city mileage since most of my day to day driving is city.

You’d think that the smaller engine would give the mini and miata far better highway mileage, but it’s all about gearing. I’m turning 3500rpm at 75 in the miata but only 2300ish in the 335. I’m sure if I gave the miata a taller final drive or 6th gear, it would get FAR better mileage (but who tf puts a taller gear in a miata???)
To be fair who races in 6th? Usually 1-4 short and keep 5/6 loooooong.

But yea, agreed otherwise. Mini is at decent rpms freeway 2500 or so at 7500 but bmw was lower also the mini is a brick
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:07 pm
RLWake wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:06 pm

But yea, agreed otherwise. Mini is at decent rpms freeway 2500 or so at 7500 but bmw was lower also the mini is a brick

R56 drag coefficient- .35
E90 drag coefficient- .26

Makes sense
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

RLWake wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:43 am As far as maiden voyages go, 500 miles is a pretty good one!

The drive is normally a 7 1/2 hour straight shot on the interstates back to Orlando, but I usually prefer to take the two-lane roads through most of the panhandle. Turns the journey into a little over 9 hours but it is well worth it for the better experience. Particularly, the drive south of Tallahassee in the National Forests is pretty nice. Still flat Florida with boring roads but at least there was something to look at.

Car performed like a champ besides one check engine light that came and went 15 mins into the drive :notsure: . Scanner showed an oxygen sensor slow response code, but the car showed no symptoms and it didn't reappear after clearing it... Something to keep an eye on but I'm not worried.

I'm honestly growing to like the seats, which I did not expect based on comments from you guys. Just as comfortable as the ones from the 335i (to me) and they fit me just fine. I might just get them reupholstered rather than replaced... Not sure yet.

After about 2 hours (and yes, it took that long to notice), I found something that drove me nuts for the rest of the ride. The steering wheel is a tiny bit off center. Driving straight leaves the wheel turned a couple degrees to the right :triggered: . The car still goes straight if you let go of the wheel, but fuuuck I find it so annoying even though it's so small.

Another thing about the steering wheel... not sure I like it. I like the overall look of the center parts (and after I make the trim pieces black it will be fine), but the actual circular rim of the wheel doesn't feel right to me. I think I see a Guardian Designs wheel in my future. Definitely gone up on my list of priorities.

Let's see what else... the silencers that go into the Roadstersport muffler make a big difference. The mostly kill any drone that's present at 70/75 mph which is a huge plus for me.

Oh yeah :meata: eats way less gas than the Bimmer. That thing is THIRSTY.

Overall its just a damn good car. Lots of fun, of course, but also completely intuitive and easy to understand.
:nice: updates :fuckyeah:

Glad to hear you're enjoying this thing!
max225

RLWake wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:20 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:07 pm

R56 drag coefficient- .35
E90 drag coefficient- .26

Makes sense
MINI engineers looked at every millimeter of the car — optimizing the shape and adding details. The improvements were measured in the thousandths and became incredibly incremental. All those microscopic tweaks added up to an astonishing drag coefficient of only .28.
Apparently it is way better for the F gen which is what I have. But JCW throws it back to .34... so FAIL. :gaydance:

I filled up yesterday for $32 (@3.32 a gallon) which is :mindblown: but the gas tank on this thing is tiny... In the great flyover states I could fill up under $20
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Eh?

My brother has that one

Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:29 pm Eh?

:notbad:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

My brother has that one

Already taken care of!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:50 pm

My brother has that one

Already taken care of!
:megusta:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

A sad foray, last night.

The sticker behind the taillights was a LIE! All that work fiddling with shitty plastic push connectors for the interior trunk panels for nothing.

Also, the area behind the taillights was pretty dirty and definitely had no wax on it :wtf:

For now, I wiped it down and put them back, with something special added :hue:

I’m putting the real plate on tonight, too!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Bruh go for a drive sans top and get a PDQ shake.
max225

RLWake wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:54 pm A sad foray, last night.

The sticker behind the taillights was a LIE! All that work fiddling with shitty plastic push connectors for the interior trunk panels for nothing.

Also, the area behind the taillights was pretty dirty and definitely had no wax on it :wtf:

For now, I wiped it down and put them back, with something special added :hue:

I’m putting the real plate on tonight, too!
So the prerequisite for every miata purchase is a behind the tail lights clean and polish.
:yikes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

This is the best thing on DFD in a while, new owner of [user not found]'s car actually cleaning behind the tail lights :mindblown:

@Richard, for a little back story, [user not found] once sold ( :plac: 'd) a white Nissan Frontier Bro4X for a white Nisan Fronteir Bro4X because the first one, which was used, had dirt behind the tail lights.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:18 am This is the best thing on DFD in a while, new owner of [user not found]'s car actually cleaning behind the tail lights :mindblown:

@Richard, for a little back story, [user not found] once sold ( :plac: 'd) a white Nissan Frontier Bro4X for a white Nisan Fronteir Bro4X because the first one, which was used, had dirt behind the tail lights.
Now I see why he sold the Meata :math:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Here’s the nice thing about buying a car like this one. Pretty much all of the :stig: mods I wanted to do early on have already been done. For now, the car is gonna get an upgrade to perfect condition before I start to lay down coin on customization.

Anyways, I have tire armor and a ceramic kit on the way :troywax: . I’m gonna borrow some of my buddy’s time (and his pro polishing stuff) to get everylast swirl out of the paint before I put it on, and I need to plan a date with Ms. touch up paint for a couple little spots.

Fun stuff, to be sure. After this is done, the :meata: will be by far the cleanest car I’ve ever owned.

Oh, and I’m gonna have the busted strap on the soft top looked at finally. I’m getting tired of not being able to put the top down correctly from inside the car.
max225

RLWake wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:01 am Here’s the nice thing about buying a car like this one. Pretty much all of the :stig: mods I wanted to do early on have already been done. For now, the car is gonna get an upgrade to perfect condition before I start to lay down coin on customization.

Anyways, I have tire armor and a ceramic kit on the way :troywax: . I’m gonna borrow some of my buddy’s time (and his pro polishing stuff) to get everylast swirl out of the paint before I put it on, and I need to plan a date with Ms. touch up paint for a couple little spots.

Fun stuff, to be sure. After this is done, the :meata: will be by far the cleanest car I’ve ever owned.

Oh, and I’m gonna have the busted strap on the soft top looked at finally. I’m getting tired of not being able to put the top down correctly from inside the car.
:bruh: are you saying you can get the car higher than ZILLSPEC ? I am insulted for the man, the legend himself.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:05 am
RLWake wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:01 am Here’s the nice thing about buying a car like this one. Pretty much all of the :stig: mods I wanted to do early on have already been done. For now, the car is gonna get an upgrade to perfect condition before I start to lay down coin on customization.

:bruh: are you saying you can get the car higher than ZILLSPEC ? I am insulted for the man, the legend himself.
Zillspec is only the beginning. Zillspec is getting it looking the best it can for it’s current condition. I’m looking to improve the condition of the car quite a bit, as close to perfection as I can get it without a $5000 visit to the paint shop.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Today was just a full claying and some fresh wax.

Also forgot to show off the lovely new plate!

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:05 am

:dat: :howdareu:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

RLWake wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 am Today was just a full claying and some fresh wax.

Also forgot to show off the lovely new plate!

:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Trying to decide just how :waxer: to be.

Bottom line is that the damage and rock chips on the front bumper are driving me nuts, and I want them gone. I think I'm gonna have it repainted before I put any ceramic on that. I'll go ahead and coat the rest of the car and wait on the front bumper.

My fiancee's dad is good friends with a guy who will repaint panels really nicely for not a lot of :wasteful: .

Says he got the front bumper of his Challenger completely repainted for $200 ( :fuckyeah: ) after an iPhone-sized rock fucked it up with a huge gash. He forgot to tell me that it happened and never mentioned that the bumper was repainted. Now I walk by that car a LOT, and I certainly never noticed it had been repainted. I went and looked again after he told me and it's a damn good job for $200.

I meant it when I said beyond Zillspec. :meatspin:

Also, another thing that has been bugging me has to do with the air vents for the driver's feet. I like to have the heat set to footwell and dash vents when I have the top down in the cold, but the footwell vent just blows air really hard directly on my right leg and is generally very annoying. I'm gonna take measurements at some point and 3d print something that attaches on the end of that vent to distribute the air better :math: . The lab where I work has SolidWorks plus a 3d printer with a lot of down time, and it's a really nice perk of working there. I can draw it up on my lunch break.

Also finally tried out the launch control that comes with the tuna, and it's really nice. Great for street shenanigans. I'm getting used to the auto blip and learning exactly when it activates, and it's nice for some situations. I do want to remove it, :doe: since I prefer to heel-toe myself. I'll probably have to find an Ecutek diller around here and ask for assistance with that.