It's Not Easy Being (a darker shade of) Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:43 pm Salt is the devil.
My inner Zilspec, which has grown very strong, actually rates no salt as a top 10 reason for living in the State of California.
I simply won’t buy a car from the East unless it has never seen salt, fk that
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
My inner Zilspec, which has grown very strong, actually rates no salt as a top 10 reason for living in the State of California.
It's yet another reason why CA is actually a cheaper place to live when one takes everything into account than most of the world.
Marginally cheaper. Despite no rust, cars don't really sell for any more than they do here. BUT rust free cars here sell for a premium.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:13 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:23 pm

I simply won’t buy a car from the East unless it has never seen salt, fk that
For where you live, there's no point in buying anything from a salt state.

FWIW, my JT is showing zero signs of rust on the underside and it was our primary vehicle for all winter. Not even fasteners are rusty. It's pretty :impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:21 am
troyguitar wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 pm It's yet another reason why CA is actually a cheaper place to live when one takes everything into account than most of the world.
Marginally cheaper. Despite no rust, cars don't really sell for any more than they do here. BUT rust free cars here sell for a premium.
The point is you can buy a car you like and just keep it and drive it without watching it be destroyed. One car with one parking space and one set of wheels and tires. One exhaust for the life of the vehicle. No buying a new one every 10 years because it's rotten.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:26 am
The point is you can buy a car you like and just keep it and drive it without watching it be destroyed. One car with one parking space and one set of wheels and tires. One exhaust for the life of the vehicle. No buying a new one every 10 years because it's rotten.
My e36 exhaust fell apart from the inside as they rust inside out due it moisture, crown Vic also has a new muffler sitting on it.

But I hear you on the rest. Plenty of other shit to break on the cars outside of what rust does
ChrisoftheNorth

Well...that's assuming someone can hold onto a car for that long...nobody here would see the benefit from that at all.
troyguitar

I sold my old Audis and the Vibe primarily because of rust making them a huge PITA to work on and sold the :wankel: primarily because I knew the rust would quickly destroy it up here... and I bought a $30k new car that will depreciate like a rock (instead of a fully depreciated used thing) so that I will be able to work on it for a couple of years without wanting to light it on fire. I fucking hate rust.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 am I sold my old Audis and the Vibe primarily because of rust making them a huge PITA to work on and sold the :wankel: primarily because I knew the rust would quickly destroy it up here... and I bought a $30k new car that will depreciate like a rock (instead of a fully depreciated used thing) so that I will be able to work on it for a couple of years without wanting to light it on fire. I fucking hate rust.
I too hate rust, but also apply rust prevention in the fall to vehicles I own. Makes a noticeable difference.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 am I sold my old Audis and the Vibe primarily because of rust making them a huge PITA to work on and sold the :wankel: primarily because I knew the rust would quickly destroy it up here... and I bought a $30k new car that will depreciate like a rock (instead of a fully depreciated used thing) so that I will be able to work on it for a couple of years without wanting to light it on fire. I fucking hate rust.
I too hate rust, but also apply rust prevention in the fall to vehicles I own. Makes a noticeable difference.
Eh, too late now. This thing is fucked. I'll buy something else if we ever :gtfo: of this shithole. What's another $30k? :troywax:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:51 am
Detroit wrote: I too hate rust, but also apply rust prevention in the fall to vehicles I own. Makes a noticeable difference.
Eh, too late now. This thing is fucked. I'll buy something else if we ever :gtfo: of this shithole. What's another $30k? :troywax:
That's the spirit!
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:51 am
Detroit wrote: I too hate rust, but also apply rust prevention in the fall to vehicles I own. Makes a noticeable difference.
Money's going to be worthless soon enough anyway.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Are the rams on yet?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:11 pm Are the rams on yet?
:nope:

Lugs are on a slow boat from Kali. Probably won't be here until next week. Still 40's and raining most days anyway.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am

Well...that's assuming someone can hold onto a car for that long...nobody here would see the benefit from that at all.
:hai:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:09 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am
:hai:
also :fax: and his :mk6:

speaking of: off to da thread!
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

It got all the way to 50 today and was only overcast instead of raining!

:hibachi:

troyguitar

It fits.

max225

troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:12 pm It fits.

Looks nice! Are they a little less tall than stock ?

Also dat rotor rust :doomed:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm It got all the way to 50 today and was only overcast instead of raining!

:hibachi:

Wow that’s a crazy amount of rust ... can you clean that off and fluid film or paint or whatever to protect for next year ?
troyguitar

max225 wrote:Looks nice! Are they a little less tall than stock ?

Also dat rotor rust :doomed:
Nah those are stock tires, the suspension just wasn't settled and I accidentally left the camera on wide angle mode. Looks like stock after driving 10 miles round trip to the automatic car wash. 1235 miles on the car now.

17x7.5 +50 with 3mm spacers. Total weight of wheel+tire is 32 lbs. Car feels like a sports car again, super responsive and well damped.

troyguitar

Quarantine Machine.

ImageImageImageImageImage
troyguitar

I have custom stickers for the center caps on the way from Wuhan, dunno when they'll show up.
max225

I am nearly :triggered: by the fact that you’re running the exact size I wanted to run but I was too much of a :crang: to make it happen.

Noticeable ride improvement? How’s the road noise ?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

That looks so good on there Troy. :like: :like:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:I am nearly :triggered: by the fact that you’re running the exact size I wanted to run but I was too much of a :crang: to make it happen.

Noticeable ride improvement? How’s the road noise ?
It's way better controlled but a little more harsh and loud because these are the dumb OE prius summers. Still a huge upgrade overall, would be a lot better on the ECS/PS4S.