It's Not Easy Being (a darker shade of) Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:37 am
[user not found] wrote:
Cast iron calipers vs aluminum monoblock gives you serious weight loss.
Aluminum rotor hats too. It's a great setup, dunno if I really care that much :doe:

At this point I'm leaning toward aligning the thing and maybe getting real tires, though even tires seem stupid since the stock ones are brand new.

Everything else is idle daydreaming. I wouldn't mind swapping the wing out for a small spoiler - just big enough to cover the holes from the wing mounts.
I've heard from more than one place tires make the car worse if you are doing anything but looking at lap times
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

If you ain’t first, you’re last!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:37 am Aluminum rotor hats too. It's a great setup, dunno if I really care that much :doe:

At this point I'm leaning toward aligning the thing and maybe getting real tires, though even tires seem stupid since the stock ones are brand new.

Everything else is idle daydreaming. I wouldn't mind swapping the wing out for a small spoiler - just big enough to cover the holes from the wing mounts.
I've heard from more than one place tires make the car worse if you are doing anything but looking at lap times
The stockers are loud as fuck. My winter tires are less noisy. PS4S or ECS would make it less of a PITA on the highway and "good enough" at autox. I don't drift the thing anyway, I'm not 12. :wrong:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:23 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Headers supposedly really wake these cars up. I'd go for that and a full exhaust to compliment it. Interesting you can save so much weight with the brakes.
Cast iron calipers vs aluminum monoblock gives you serious weight loss.
A real enthusiast removes the rear dog perch, speakers, and audio system. And installs scaffolding in place.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
The stockers are loud as fuck. My winter tires are less noisy. PS4S or ECS would make it less of a PITA on the highway and "good enough" at autox. I don't drift the thing anyway, I'm not 12. :wrong:
:word:

9/10 more grip is generally more fun to me personally.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 am The stockers are loud as fuck. My winter tires are less noisy. PS4S or ECS would make it less of a PITA on the highway and "good enough" at autox. I don't drift the thing anyway, I'm not 12. :wrong:
:stig: :stig: :stig:
:stig: :pussy: :stig:
:stig: :stig: :stig:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

65 degrees here to the north of you. Has the snow melted enough to get the car out of its spot in the driveway :hue:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm 65 degrees here to the north of you. Has the snow melted enough to get the car out of its spot in the driveway :hue:
:lol:

Seriously doe, this green beast is currently my favorite DFD vehicle that isn't a :gorf:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:03 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm 65 degrees here to the north of you. Has the snow melted enough to get the car out of its spot in the driveway :hue:
:lol:

Seriously doe, this green beast is currently my favorite DFD vehicle that isn't a :gorf:
This green beast >>> :gorf: :doe:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:15 pm I wanna see dem :ramz:
We wanna see that new car :rage:
troyguitar

It hit 72 today but it'll be back in the 20s in a night or two so no summers anytime soon. The winters are total marshmallows when it's warm. Feels pretty terrible. I suppose I could get a third set of :ramz: to run all seasons for March/April/October/November, but fuck that.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 pm It hit 72 today but it'll be back in the 20s in a night or two so no summers anytime soon. The winters are total marshmallows when it's warm. Feels pretty terrible. I suppose I could get a third set of :ramz: to run all seasons for March/April/October/November, but fuck that.
Still common even now to run across ice in shady spots? If not, or if you can avoid driving on icy days, I’d just throw the summers on there.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 pm It hit 72 today but it'll be back in the 20s in a night or two so no summers anytime soon. The winters are total marshmallows when it's warm. Feels pretty terrible. I suppose I could get a third set of :ramz: to run all seasons for March/April/October/November, but fuck that.
Still common even now to run across ice in shady spots? If not, or if you can avoid driving on icy days, I’d just throw the summers on there.
Ice in the morning is common but I suppose I rarely need to do anything that early. Dunno. I also still need to figure out center caps, centering rings, and lug nuts.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Ice in the morning is common but I suppose I rarely need to do anything that early. Dunno. I also still need to figure out center caps, centering rings, and lug nuts.
Yeah the rogue March snowstorm is still a possibility I guess.

You going purple lug nuts?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just put on the summers, late March in Corning should be not all that different than January here and I run summers year round without a ton of issue. If it snows for a day, just don't drive.
troyguitar

It'll still be below freezing in the morning for 6 of the next 7 days according to my phone. Doesn't really matter :doe: - like I said I still need to figure out center caps and order shit. That's the one problem with running unobtainium :unicorn: :ramz: that have been out of production for 15 years.

I'm also :notsure: at this point whether to bother buying better tires. With the whole world shutting down, it might be better to hunker down and save. Who knows if anyone will have jobs in 6 months. :eeyore:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 am It'll still be below freezing in the morning for 6 of the next 7 days according to my phone. Doesn't really matter :doe: - like I said I still need to figure out center caps and order shit. That's the one problem with running unobtainium :unicorn: :ramz: that have been out of production for 15 years.

I'm also :notsure: at this point whether to bother buying better tires. With the whole world shutting down, it might be better to hunker down and save. Who knows if anyone will have jobs in 6 months. :eeyore:
Do you really think money will have value ? :lolgasm:
troyguitar

I don't expect Mad Max, but I could easily see 2008-10 style layoffs happening soon.
Johnny_P

For center caps, maybe just aliexpress some china carbon fiber ones in the size you need? Like, measure the hole and get ones that work for that size...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:01 pm For center caps, maybe just aliexpress some china carbon fiber ones in the size you need? Like, measure the hole and get ones that work for that size...
Side order of SARS2 with that too.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:For center caps, maybe just aliexpress some china carbon fiber ones in the size you need? Like, measure the hole and get ones that work for that size...
That's basically the plan but everything I have found thus far is too deep unless I don't use centering rings - which I guess are technically not necessary anyway but I've never run without them.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote:For center caps, maybe just aliexpress some china carbon fiber ones in the size you need? Like, measure the hole and get ones that work for that size...
That's basically the plan but everything I have found thus far is too deep unless I don't use centering rings - which I guess are technically not necessary anyway but I've never run without them.
The holding tabs are too deep?

If I had to make a choice between centering rings and center caps, I'd choose the rings.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:57 am I don't expect Mad Max, but I could easily see 2008-10 style layoffs happening soon.
It's happening.

Cruise companies are laying off massive numbers of people. They were one of the first industries to be directly affected.

Trickle down economics works both ways.
Yup. Cruise companies operate at almost paper thin margins. I have a few acquaintances that work on global security stuff for the cruises (RC and Carnival) and they tell me any Ship NEEDS to be occupied and moving or else it loses money (kinda like airlines but worse because cruises are more niche.

Anywho, If the government does any sort of bailouts they should only bailout the cruise lines that register their ships in the United States... let Bermuda, Panama, etc bail out the rest
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:45 pm

It's happening.

Cruise companies are laying off massive numbers of people. They were one of the first industries to be directly affected.

Trickle down economics works both ways.
Yup. Cruise companies operate at almost paper thin margins. I have a few acquaintances that work on global security stuff for the cruises (RC and Carnival) and they tell me any Ship NEEDS to be occupied and moving or else it loses money (kinda like airlines but worse because cruises are more niche.

Anywho, If the government does any sort of bailouts they should only bailout the cruise lines that register their ships in the United States... let Bermuda, Panama, etc bail out the rest
Carnival sails under the Panamanian flag and RC sails under the Bahamian flag.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:44 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Carnival sails under the Panamanian flag and RC sails under the Bahamian flag.
Whatever flags they sail under should bail them out if they want to get money from gov
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.