Acid's Lemon flavored co-pilot airboat poor man's C8 bread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

So my boy and I went in on a poor man's C8 for our Lemons car. We picked it up today.
It's gonna need everything, but we just wanna start from scratch and pace ourselves.
Lemons is in Nola in about 6 months, and I don't know if we'll make that one, but fuck it. We'll slowly rebuild this bitch and have a bad ass machine.
So I'm gonna use this thread to document the progress. Might be a little while until we can get to it. I've still got to finish the motor swap in the Meowta.

Anywho, here's the pics!

Last edited by Acid666 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acid666

That's right folks. What's better than an AW11 for Lemons?

FUCKING TWO AW11S FOR LEMONS BAW!

And a shot with the 240 in it.

We've got 2 motors, one black-top, one silver-top, both sitting at this guy's machine shop guy's house. We just have to pick em up. We're going to likely rebuild the black-top for the race setup first (I believe it's a 20v with higher compression), and look at rebuilding the Silvertop as a backup.
These cars need nearly everything, but that's what we're looking for. We found 2 2nd gen MR2s that we considered, one with a cage and one parts car... But the cage would need to be reworked to pass Lemons tech, and the parts car was total trash. These 2 are nearly all there at least and are better starting points than the other 2 we looked at.

We're pretty much going to take the 2 cars and make one good one. There's a slight possibility that we could make one a track car with the cage, and take the other and do something different like set it up for autocross or something. We don't know yet, we just have to work to get one up and running first. Should be fun. I've already had people walking down the street looking at the pair and breaking their necks to figure out wtf kinda space ships I've got in my driveway.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:gonbgud:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:popcorn:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My good friend had one of these and it always left me with fond memories, I do want the slightly newer version that was built between these and the one that Troy crushed autox in. They are an amazing platform.
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 am My good friend had one of these and it always left me with fond memories, I do want the slightly newer version that was built between these and the one that Troy crushed autox in. They are an amazing platform.
That was the ones we originally looked at but man, they were total trash. These are beat but look a lot better overall. My buddy raced his mk3 mr2 for a while before selling to his dad. They had a pair of the 3rd gens. So he knows all about these things and will give us a good path to move forward with. I'm interested because these things are just pure 80s.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:07 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:21 am My good friend had one of these and it always left me with fond memories, I do want the slightly newer version that was built between these and the one that Troy crushed autox in. They are an amazing platform.
That was the ones we originally looked at but man, they were total trash. These are beat but look a lot better overall. My buddy raced his mk3 mr2 for a while before selling to his dad. They had a pair of the 3rd gens. So he knows all about these things and will give us a good path to move forward with. I'm interested because these things are just pure 80s.
Yeah me too, totally rad looks with the squared off panels. They are the lightest ones too. I just find them to be comically short IRL but it adds to the appeal if they aren't taken seriously. Nice find.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:excited:
Acid666

A couple of weeks ago we picked up the motors from the guy's mechanic and traded the paperwork since my boy finally got the rest of the cash for his half of the cars. Today I went ahead and pulled the old Meowta engine off the stand and got both of these MR2 motors up in the air so we can move them around and take a look at em.

One is the default Silvertop, the other is an imported 20v Blacktop I believe. The blacktop is supposed to be a hotter motor, but for what we're doing, we're thinking about getting the Silvertop 16v up to speed because it'll be cheaper, way easier to find parts for, and when we blow it we can get a replacement on the cheap. Or even keep a backup motor on hand for not much money. The Blacktop, we may end up hot rodding it out with some parts for track days and autocrosses, and then we swap out the Silvertop once a year when we're ready for Lemons.

We took the flywheels off and noticed that the Blacktop has a TRD flywheel that feels like it's maybe 10 pounds. So my bud was stoked about that shit. This engine might have a few more odds and ends in it that will be pretty sweet. I've got a bag of receipts from one of the previous owners but I haven't dug into it yet. There might be more clues there. Also, notice the individual throttle bodies on the Blacktop (it's painted red)... We haven't seen that before. It might get swapped to the other motor along with a handful of other things.

Acid666

Party got started today. Pulled the tarp from it, and started to gut the panels and interior.
Next will be the dash, and then prepping to figure out where we can install our roll cage mounting points and spreader plates.
That is the main hurdle right now.
I've got a list of things to do, I need to organize them into a gant chart to give us some goals and milestones.

Also, the engine in this one was flooded. Drained the oil and it was full of water. We couldn't turn it over either with a 3' breaker bar. So it's seized. no biggie tho. We gonna swap the silvertop in and streamline the connections to the car.

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:megusta:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

do you have air conditioning parts for the cars?
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 am do you have air conditioning parts for the cars?
Likely so. I think at least one of the motors on stands has an ac compressor attached to it.
Not sure about the other pieces it would need but I would assume that we at least have one complete assembly of parts for the AC. I doubt they all work tho.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 am do you have air conditioning parts for the cars?
Likely so. I think at least one of the motors on stands has an ac compressor attached to it.
Not sure about the other pieces it would need but I would assume that we at least have one complete assembly of parts for the AC. I doubt they all work tho.
ok, a cool shirt is a must have piece of equipment.

we used a cooler and block ice as is normal, but I had an idea to use the AC to cool some water for the shirt loop eliminating the need to buy, store, and change blocks of ice for the cooler. you could wire in compressor so it would cut out on full throttle but run under coasting and part throttle.
basically submerge the evap coil inside a cooler and put some water in it with a corrosion inhibitor to chill water for the coolshirt loop.

trust me... time in the pits is frantic and it's one less thing to do. and storing all the ice is a pita. and being comfortable in the car on long stints goes a long way for driver performance.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 am

ok, a cool shirt is a must have piece of equipment.

we used a cooler and block ice as is normal, but I had an idea to use the AC to cool some water for the shirt loop eliminating the need to buy, store, and change blocks of ice for the cooler. you could wire in compressor so it would cut out on full throttle but run under coasting and part throttle.
basically submerge the evap coil inside a cooler and put some water in it with a corrosion inhibitor to chill water for the coolshirt loop.

trust me... time in the pits is frantic and it's one less thing to do. and storing all the ice is a pita. and being comfortable in the car on long stints goes a long way for driver performance.
Yeah I know it's a luxury, but almost a necessary one. We're thinking of doing it if we have time. We don't know how close we'll get to being ready for next year so we'll see. A friend of mine who's been on race teams says he does a budget cool shirt build where he puts a pump on a timed relay so that basically every 2-3 minutes it'll pump and cycle thru to new colder water. That way it doesn't have to be constantly running and works like a thermostat just opening and closing. Idea was cool. We may do something like that but it's all on paper so far.
I think this week I'm going to go thru my list and get a soft project layout for the gant chart. Need to get on that first to plan
Acid666

Did some more stripping down this weekend. We managed to completely gut the interior except for the ceiling cloth. We'll need to get all that out so we can see how close we can press the roll cage into it.
But the steering column, full HVAC system is out. all that shit. We're going to keep parts of the HVAC that work with the heater core so we can have a defroster. Because we ain't gonna play that foggy windows game bullshit on the track.

Front fenders are removed, we tried to get the bumper but man, there's so much fucking shit with bolts we can't see.
It''s getting to the point where we're going to lay out the plans for what comes first, then what after. Right now cage is the main priority, because we want to build anything we need around that (new speedo mounting location and shit).
Then we'll worry about completely swapping the suspension parts from the other donor car into this one. All of the pieces are rusted, so we'll likely swap every piece and replace things like bushings and ball joints with new parts. New hubs is a definite.

Next we need to get a seat and the floor mounts, so we can see how much height we're working with on the top roll cage halo. That's our major first hurdle.

We cracked open the Black-Top motor to find out why it wouldn't turn over. The cylinder walls were just trashed with grit. Got most of it cleaned up and we're able to rotate the motor over. No bent valves, so we might be good with this motor if we decide to just rebuild it with new rings and bearings and shit. We're going with the Silvertop motor first so we don't have to run premium gas in it (black top is high compression)
Head looks fucking pristine on top tho. Valves might need to be lapped.

Prior to cleaning up the bores

Cleaned and freely rotating.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

awesome. what's the first race y'all plan to run?
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:40 am awesome. what's the first race y'all plan to run?
Plan is to make next years lemons race. We got the cars around Sept, and knew that it wouldn't be enough time to have it prepped for this race at Nola (in March). It's the 28th-29th this month, so Josh and I plan on going to hang out and get some ideas on some of the cars out there. We've got a good game plan, but it would help to see some of the cars in person again now that we know what we're looking for in the case of roll bar specifics.
Especially if anyone else has an AW11 MR2 like last year. If we can see how they passed tech, we can just copy it and rule out any guess work on decisions on how we tie into the body.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:40 am awesome. what's the first race y'all plan to run?
Plan is to make next years lemons race. We got the cars around Sept, and knew that it wouldn't be enough time to have it prepped for this race at Nola (in March). It's the 28th-29th this month, so Josh and I plan on going to hang out and get some ideas on some of the cars out there. We've got a good game plan, but it would help to see some of the cars in person again now that we know what we're looking for in the case of roll bar specifics.
Especially if anyone else has an AW11 MR2 like last year. If we can see how they passed tech, we can just copy it and rule out any guess work on decisions on how we tie into the body.
nice. I'd like to maybe go for fun. I can give you lots of good info having done this a half dozen times.

that weekend looks packed doe. zapps beer fest Saturday and Cenla Lamar Dixon Sunday
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Party's gotten started. Got my overall layout put on paper today.
When I get a chance I'll fill in my gant chart for this and start to fill in details along with time estimates for each milestone.
Current situation is to get a pipe [user not found] in with the die for Ø1-1/2" pipe along with the seat so we can tack up our bracket to make sure we're good with the roll cage internal height.

Acid666

Quarantine update:
So far, I've been not knowing what's up with work, so I held out on spending any money. So I've just been doing shit that I can do for free. Reminder here, race car was a flood car, so it's got rusted up parts. Parts car has performance parts and is in decent shape. So I started to rip the front suspension from the parts car and swap em out. Got that done today, now I just need to swap the fenders.

Parts car had poly bushings and drilled and slotted rotors. Also, the strut has 2 bolts that should hold it to the steering knuckle. One bolt was on both parts, with a magic 2nd replacement bolt. I love the creativity on these as I peeled the onion layers.

Full front suspension parts, took a while but no broken bolts when removing so I'm happy about that.

These rotors may be able to be turned, but I won't cry if they aren't. I expected to replace everything on these. Brake lines, pads, rebuild the calipers with new seals and pistons if needed, rotors as well.

A month ago a friend called me and asked if I was still in need of a cage. I said yes. He said I've got a guy here that's got one.
Is it out the car?
Yes
Is it a bolt in? how's it out the car?
Not a bolt in. Lemme send pics.

"Yeah you just cut the roof off, and drop it in and you can weld it up"
Never heard of this, but I reached out and asked some guys. A few said it's more work than it seems, a couple of guys said they've done this multiple times. Talked to my friend who knows the guy and recommended we bring the car to him in Houston and weld it up one weekend. We originally were ok with cutting the top, but after thinking about it, my buddy who would be doing the welding said we can likely split it up and cut it major sections, get it into the car and then build the spreader plates around it and make it work. I said it seems like too much drama but he's confident that we can basically just saw a few pieces off and weld new pipe and/or make the existing bent parts work out for us.
So that's the plan for now. Eventually when we can get to it.
Still got a lot of work to go, but I've got it all mapped out and trying to do what I can for free while I save money, in case work turns to trash. This oil price bust is gonna hit us hard.
Acid666

Got the engine removed this weekend. Along with the gas tank. Glad we pulled it. It was full of trash. Some fucking hurricane gumbo water.
Next is to get a seat and weld it in and then we can. Install the roll cage

https://i.imgur.com/aGVHcxc.gifv
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:16 am Got the engine removed this weekend. Along with the gas tank. Glad we pulled it. It was full of trash. Some fucking hurricane gumbo water.
Next is to get a seat and weld it in and then we can. Install the roll cage

https://i.imgur.com/aGVHcxc.gifv
In this pic it looks like the car is propped up on a step ladder :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This thread gives me airboat fever. I need to JB Weld something.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:51 am In this pic it looks like the car is propped up on a step ladder :lolol:
My buddy Josh has an MK3 MR2 and has done a 2zz or whatever it is swap so he knows the intricacies of dealing with this shit.
I knew we were dropping the motor and lifting the chassis to clear it, but he was like "Keep pumping. You gotta get this bitch to the clouds to be able to pull the engine out."
And he wasn't wrong. The front bumper nearly scrapped the ground.

Stay tuned. Now that the engine is removed, we can start to prep it for the cage, but the seat mounts need to come first so we can make sure we get it low enough to clear our helmets with the roll bar padding at the top.
Pretty excited to get this bitch rolling, because we likely won't be ready to bring it to Lemons so we're planning on autocrossing the shit out of it and making a full blown XP car with slicks in the meantime to work the kinks out of it.