Acid's Lemon flavored co-pilot airboat poor man's C8 bread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Quick update, first a quick recap

Got 2 motors with the deal, Blacktop(160hp/119tq) and a Silvertop(155hp/119tq), and one car came with a 1.6 in it that was flooded. So that's trash.
We have all the parts to run the Blacktop, if we ran the Silvertop we'd need to get ITBs and a handful of other parts to make it functional.
Blacktop is the hot rod motor with a few extra ponies with headwork done to it, so it's likely pushing about 170-180 hp.

We cracked open the blacktop, piston rings are seized to the pistons, rod threw a bearing so the crank would have to be turned and it looks like it's already been turned once.
Image Image

Some of the Silvertop parts will work on the Blacktop, but we crunch the numbers it just ain't worth the trouble to get this bitch running. Same for the Silvertop. If we switch plans and try to install the ST, we're still spending money to buy JDM parts just to get it running, upwards of $500-1K. And if we blow one of these motors in an endurance race, getting replacement parts ain't gonna be cheap or easy.
So we decided to do a Kswap. Hux Racing has mounts for the AW11 for the K20 and K24 for $600ish. We need a few other odds and ends like Integra axles, but you can buy oem ones from even Autozone, an RSX wiring harness (there's an RSX at Pullapart), and Hondata or some other tuner for the ECU. We decided on the K24A4, not the A2, which is the hot rod TSX motor with 200hp. The A4 was in the Accord, Element, and CRV, and makes 160hp/161ft/lbs and is PLENTIFUL at PullAPart for just a couple hundred bucks. We get that bitch set up and buy whole motors for cheap and then we've got replacement engines for days.

Roll cage is in the works. Contacted my guy in Houston and all I really need to do is agree on a price. If he doesn't budge then I'll likely get a prefabbed kit for a grand and we'll weld it up ourselves.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:nice: update on the K-swap, can't really go :wrong: there with so many available from so many cars. If you ever want to build it as a fun street car, plenty of better K-series heads and stuff too for more powah.
Acid666

Went to Baton Rouge this weekend with my Lemons partner to pull a wiring harness of an RSX. One of the bits we need for the Kswap. We send this off along with our factory harness and Hux Racing will combine them for us and eliminate all the shit we don't need and make us a custom fuse box with the proper relays and shit.

Still figuring out the roll cage shit, we'll likely send it off to a local friend's shop to get most of it done as I made an offer to the original guy with a fully built cage removed from a car hasn't responded to my offer of $500. So we're just gonna go another route.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:04 am Went to Baton Rouge this weekend with my Lemons partner to pull a wiring harness of an RSX. One of the bits we need for the Kswap. We send this off along with our factory harness and Hux Racing will combine them for us and eliminate all the shit we don't need and make us a custom fuse box with the proper relays and shit.

Still figuring out the roll cage shit, we'll likely send it off to a local friend's shop to get most of it done as I made an offer to the original guy with a fully built cage removed from a car hasn't responded to my offer of $500. So we're just gonna go another route.

:like: :like: :like:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:like:
Acid666

Spent my whole Sunday mounting and wiring up our winch we got for the trailer to tow this non-running chunk of metal around.
Started with a battery tie down bracket, then a plexiglass separator wall that was heated and molded to shape.
Drilled holes and added rubber grommets, mounted the switch, hard wired the solar panel's wiring as well. It's got longer handheld remote with about 6' of length, you just plug it into the harness. Solar panel will go on top, I just gotta get a creative way to mount it. I don't want to drill into the hood latch so I'll figure something out with zip ties.

I even got to use mah fancy plate [user not found] my buddy made for me

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

That's going to be dope when the E30 breaks again.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Alrighty. Update time. My boy calls me Friday and says "There's a Civic SI at pullapart. It's got a manual trans. See if you can find out if this'll bolt to the K24 engine we plan on getting."
I start digging. Find out that Hondas have the same trans bolt pattern between the K20 and K24, but the trans mount to the car is different. So yes, we finally found a manual transmission ON THE CHEAP at Pullapart. What he didn't realize, is that that 06 SI head is the K20 head that everyone screams about to swap to the K24. The same as the RSX Type-S.

The K24A2 that we were planning on getting (in the TSX) is about 205hp/164ft/lbs. The K20Z3 in that Si is 197hp/139ft/lbs.
The K24A4 that we were also considering in the Accords is about 160/160. The accord K24 is all over. The TSX isn't and would likely cost us about $800+ just for the motor. This K20 SI motor would cost us $199 with all the accessories and be comparable in ponies, which is really what we need for the track. Plus VTEC Y0.

It's the last car on the lot that they put that day. And online it's listed as "CIVIC, GOLD COLOR". No manual trans, no SI, nothing. We say fuck it, this is our diamond in the rough for a fraction of the cost of the K24A2 PLUS a trans.
We are first in line today to get in, we don't need no JDM fuckboiz coming in and stealing our shit. There's a local guy that gets alerts for every TSX that comes thru and takes EVERY K24A2, no matter the mileage or condition... So we know if someone passes and sees this then we'll miss out. We start cranking at 8am in the sweltering gulf south smothering heat. And no fucking wind.

This bad bitch had a Fujito short ram intake, which apparently is $230 new. And a full Greddy cat back. We took the whole bitch home with us.

This bitch is pretty damn clean too. No oil leaks we can really see, just dirty from ole boy flipping it during his Doordash run or something (There was a doordash bag in the trunk). Also I ran the Carfax on it and it's a 2 owner car, 177K miles, and both RELIGIOUSLY changed the oil every 5K miles. There's like 25 entries in the carfax for nothing but oil changes and routine maintenance of things along with shit like alignments.

Overall damage. $527.21 total, and I can get a core charge and refund of $80 if I bring back a 4 cylinder with accessories and a trans. Good thing is that I've got a piece of shit flooded MR2 motor with a trans attached to it, and another Miata motor sitting on a dolly. So total price for our engine, exhaust, and intake setup comes in at $447.
We plan on running our own custom piping anyways to route it how we need, but a Greddy exhaust and resonator only cost us a grand total of $24.

Also when I got home, my Corbeau FX1 race seat and harness were at the door. TIME TO GET THE PARTY STARTED MOTHER FUCKERS!
ROLL CAGE IS NEXT! Gonna order the tubing next week. I can finally see what kind of clearance we have since I've got this seat in.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:amazing:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Oh shit! It’s about to get real up in here.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I really like the k24 motor. Running it in the woman’s tsx. And it runs like new even with 112k miles on it now.
Acid666

Did a little bit of electrical work this weekend, well mainly my Lemons partner. He's in charge of more of the wiring and engine stuff while I get the cage figured out. He took the RSX harness home and is going to start splitting it up into what we need to get it blended to the MR2. Luckily we have a donor parts car, because a handful of things on the actual race car are no bueno. He swapped the dash from the parts car and a few other things over and it looks like we've got lights and power to the things that will need it later.

I took measurements for the roll cage layout and I think I can get away with 4x 20' bars total, so I need to get some quotes on ordering that.
I'm really close to purchasing a welder to start learning and getting into that. I've been trading messages with Calederoo and I think I've got it narrowed down to which I'm getting that'll fit most of my needs. The race car was a flood car, and the body and frame look good but everything bolted to it looks like trash with rust. So I might start breaking off pieces and sodablasting them clean then powdercoating them.

Oh yeah, we think we figured out what trans we have that came connected to the Blacktop 20v. It's definitely a 6 speed LSD. So it's worth probably $500-600.
So in total we bought both of these cars for $1,500, sold the motors for $500, can likely sell this trans for $500, and we've spent $460ish (with core charge) on the Civic Si motor, trans, intake and exhaust.
Ktuner will cost $650 new, but I can probably find it for $300ish used. We can do everything we need with that and solve any of our dash problems. Main one is getting the analog speedo to talk to this Honda trans. The Ktuner display will solve that. I can design and 3d print a whole capsule to house it, similar to this one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nice updates man! The Si was a nice find, those have factory LSD and rev to 8k+.
Acid666

Tomorrow I might see if Northern Tool has the welder I want. It's not on the shelf so I'll see if they have it in the back.
Also going to start cage prepping. Will get a window seal remover from Harbor Freight after I saw in on the shelf, and remove the rear glass seal so we can put the back stays thru it. Might get some dry ice and do a little trick to remove the sound deadening in the floor where I'll need to weld up some roll cage support bracing to the sheet metal.
Acid666

Got most of the sound deadening off of the floors. Dry ice works pretty well. I should of got more tho. I thought 10 pounds would work and it did but 20 pounds woulda gave me more to slosh around. I really just need to be be able to clean up the corner landing points for the roll cage. Now it's off to see about removing the rear glass.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Acid666 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:08 pm Got most of the sound deadening off of the floors. Dry ice works pretty well. I should of got more tho. I thought 10 pounds would work and it did but 20 pounds woulda gave me more to slosh around. I really just need to be be able to clean up the corner landing points for the roll cage. Now it's off to see about removing the rear glass.

Still looked like a decent amount of scraping, it all came out?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 pm Image

Still looked like a decent amount of scraping, it all came out?

It's really not even scraping. It nearly all comes off easy and just peels away. The only reason I had to chisel some of it was because I didn't have as much dry ice as I needed to do it all in one sitting. But the majority of it is off. This week I'll go clean up the odds and ends that didn't make it. But the coldness of it pulled most from the body, you've just gotta give it a little bit of nudge from below with a chisel to get it completely separated.
My gopro kept stopping in the middle of it too, which is why I don't have a solid start to finish video.
Acid666

Ordered tubing today. Total damage is $735 for 4x 20' stock lengths.
3 should cut it, one is extra for any fuck ups I have. Friend dropped off [user not found] at my place, so I'll likely be doing all the prebending and starting to make boxes for each of the landing points of the 6 point cage.

Got my welding setup, but no gas yet for MIG. I can Flux Core tho, and there's nothing more humbling than realizing how shit you are at welding. I need a ton of practice.

Acid666

Tubing is in. This weekend I'll start prepping the floors, mocking up some mounting boxes out of cardboard, and buy some lengths of pvc to kind of get some ideas of angles and actual lengths. Then I'll plug all the numbers into the software to get my bend lengths and notch locations.
Friend's [user not found] is at my house, so I'll likely mess with a few pieces first to test it out. The stock length that I paid for was 20', but these 4 tubes are all around 23-24 feet. So I've got extra to fuck with. WU TANG AINT NUTHIN TO FUCK WIT!

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Excited to see how the cage turns out. You are a brave man just going for it, but what better way to learn?
Acid666

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:28 pm Excited to see how the cage turns out. You are a brave man just going for it, but what better way to learn?
Ima get a friend to help weld it, cuz I've got zero confidence in my welding skills so far. So I might have to tow it to his place in Houston to get it done in a weekend. Which was the original plan when we found cage in Houston and I was gonna pick it up and get it all knocked out over there.
It is what it is, so I'll do what I need to in order to get it completed. I'm comfortable with getting things lined up with the cage tho. That's the metal work. And I can tack up metal boxes if needed since I've got the capability to do so now.
Acid666

$700 more in parts. Dude pops up on Craigslist with an 02 RSX manual Ecu, harness, and shift cables. The shift cables we'll need for the MR2 Kswap conversion because apparently they're the perfect length and setup for this swap. The 02-04 RSX harness and ECU are needed to make Kpro work. We were using the 05 Ecu and harness to use with Ktuner but apparently Ktuner isn't really liked by tuners and the software is supposedly kinda buggy. So spend a little more for a lot less headache down the road is the plan.
Going to try to sell off the 05 parts if we can, these things are strangely worth a couple hundred a piece and we paid pennies for them at pullapart. Should help make up the difference with having to buy them from Craigslist

Acid666

Things are in motion. Finally got an extra day off for Labor day so I can get shit done. We're slammed at work and I really can't take a day or more than that off due to being the only guy on a project and it's still got deadlines.

So, hurricane warnings mean the Z06 goes to the mom's place so I can free up storage to store shit for the storm. Storm doesn't really come to my area, clear shit out and move the MR2 into the garage. I don't think I could work on it if it was out in the sun. It's just so god damn hot you smother and it's so unmotivating to work in.

First things up before roll cage, seat position and mounts. Mounting this bitch pretty much slammed to the floor to gain as much head room as possible to clear the roll cage. Had to cut out a section of the center body to get some wiggle room to the center of the car, cut thru the brake lines. YAY! New flair tool and hand [user not found] coming in soon!

Base plate will be this, with custom profile cut vertical pieces to get this bitch hard mounted to the floor pan. No other choice.
Sliders would raise this thing an inch or more and we need every last bit of vertical height we can get to clear this cage with our helmets.

I'm finally set up with my C25 bottle so I can properly do some MIG welding. Mega thanks to Cale "2 Scoops" DeR00 for helping me thru a lot of that. I messed with the Flux core and it was meh, once I got the bottle setup and started to MIG even my trash beads were decent. So this seat bracket is the first thing I've tried to weld together with seal welds. Not great but I don't think they're bad. I can finally start to lay beads on some trash plates and really get my technique down. I'm going to tack up pieces of the roll cage together and have a friend that can actually weld do the real stuff because I don't trust myself with that. This base plate I'm ok with because I can always remake it or grind and reweld if needed. One thing I'll say, Fabrication takes FOREVER. Just designing in your head, finding scrap you've got, cutting, grinding, sanding, fitting, tearing apart and cleaning/grinding more, tacking, then welding. Then grinding the welds clean. This stupid bracket represents about 1 and a half days worth of work.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:34 pm Things are in motion. Finally got an extra day off for Labor day so I can get shit done. We're slammed at work and I really can't take a day or more than that off due to being the only guy on a project and it's still got deadlines.

So, hurricane warnings mean the Z06 goes to the mom's place so I can free up storage to store shit for the storm. Storm doesn't really come to my area, clear shit out and move the MR2 into the garage. I don't think I could work on it if it was out in the sun. It's just so god damn hot you smother and it's so unmotivating to work in.

First things up before roll cage, seat position and mounts. Mounting this bitch pretty much slammed to the floor to gain as much head room as possible to clear the roll cage. Had to cut out a section of the center body to get some wiggle room to the center of the car, cut thru the brake lines. YAY! New flair tool and hand [user not found] coming in soon!

Base plate will be this, with custom profile cut vertical pieces to get this bitch hard mounted to the floor pan. No other choice.
Sliders would raise this thing an inch or more and we need every last bit of vertical height we can get to clear this cage with our helmets.

I'm finally set up with my C25 bottle so I can properly do some MIG welding. Mega thanks to Cale "2 Scoops" DeR00 for helping me thru a lot of that. I messed with the Flux core and it was meh, once I got the bottle setup and started to MIG even my trash beads were decent. So this seat bracket is the first thing I've tried to weld together with seal welds. Not great but I don't think they're bad. I can finally start to lay beads on some trash plates and really get my technique down. I'm going to tack up pieces of the roll cage together and have a friend that can actually weld do the real stuff because I don't trust myself with that. This base plate I'm ok with because I can always remake it or grind and reweld if needed. One thing I'll say, Fabrication takes FOREVER. Just designing in your head, finding scrap you've got, cutting, grinding, sanding, fitting, tearing apart and cleaning/grinding more, tacking, then welding. Then grinding the welds clean. This stupid bracket represents about 1 and a half days worth of work.
The bracket looks pretty quality to me! Nice work man. I wish I had the patience for all of that. Still excited to see how this build winds up.
Acid666

After staring at it for about 15 minutes yesterday, I've got a better idea to mount the seat bracket that's not permanent and gives us the option for some adjustability later. Also means we won't have to bolt the seat into the car from underneath the car itself. I'm just going to tab off of my brace and use the same big m12 seat bolts that came with the car. Going to the hardware store today to see if they have any cage nuts or weld nuts to plate up to the floor panel.

If I had the plasma table I've been wanting I could totally make some clean looking brackets and bend them to shape. I just ain't got the space for that shit in my garage lol.
I need a fucking shop.