max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225

So this is essentially a 10k mile update. This truck ended up being a huge road trip vehicle for us as expected.

I have filled up 32 times and my average mpg is about 18. Road trip MPG is about 19-22. Depending on how fast I am going. If I keep to 65 or below I can easily exceed 22mpg. But no one within 2 days driving distance of me goes that speed. So the speeds are always 75-90mph, severely hampering the mileage.

Biggest complaints about the Tacoma that I found to be untrue
Driving position. I have no idea why people bitch so much about it. It isn't the most comfortable thing on the planet but I have spent a considerable amount of time in this and I find it to be completely fine.
These tires suck. Once again forum BS. These tires seem to be the main reason for me getting decent MPGs in a brick shaped thing. And they are pretty quiet and comfortable. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, especially since you need to spend 100s of miles on the road to go off road. I certainly want them to perform on the ROAD first. And I haven't had any off road issues to speak of yet.

Biggest complaints that If found to be true/somewhat true
Lack of engine power/associated transmission hesitation etc. This is somewhat true. The engine is OK, however the tall final gear + low engine torque is a bad combo in a relatively large vehicle. This really REALLY needs a turbo. A 2.5-3T or TT motor with 300hp/320-350tq would be perfect here.

Things that sort of suck:
Camera quality as mentioned.

Things that don't suck:
Toyota Quality. 0 Issues with the truck, every single feature works every single time. I.E no weird door unlock/Uconnect ghost issues I have had in the past with FCA products. No CE lights and borked screen like in my TDI within the same milage.

Overall pretty happy with this thing still. And it is a pretty unique vehicle IMO. I have only seen 1 other TRD pro in lunar rock to date... And I have never seen another in a parking lot. Making it pretty special.

Pic below is from a friends house in Yerington nevada yesterday. (Middle of no where USA)

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Driving position in a pre-2020 model was trash, as the seats felt like they tilted forwards and it was near impossible to get a comfortable position. Introduction of the power seat for 2020 models is the biggest improvement on the interior, ever.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Irish wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:12 pm Dangerously slow I'm sure but still a fine specimen...... and :manuel:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/981aDP ... e-ram-1500

I'd daily the fuck outta that and not even thinking about ruining it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:28 pm So this is essentially a 10k mile update. This truck ended up being a huge road trip vehicle for us as expected.

I have filled up 32 times and my average mpg is about 18. Road trip MPG is about 19-22. Depending on how fast I am going. If I keep to 65 or below I can easily exceed 22mpg. But no one within 2 days driving distance of me goes that speed. So the speeds are always 75-90mph, severely hampering the mileage.

Biggest complaints about the Tacoma that I found to be untrue
Driving position. I have no idea why people bitch so much about it. It isn't the most comfortable thing on the planet but I have spent a considerable amount of time in this and I find it to be completely fine.
These tires suck. Once again forum BS. These tires seem to be the main reason for me getting decent MPGs in a brick shaped thing. And they are pretty quiet and comfortable. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, especially since you need to spend 100s of miles on the road to go off road. I certainly want them to perform on the ROAD first. And I haven't had any off road issues to speak of yet.

Biggest complaints that If found to be true/somewhat true
Lack of engine power/associated transmission hesitation etc. This is somewhat true. The engine is OK, however the tall final gear + low engine torque is a bad combo in a relatively large vehicle. This really REALLY needs a turbo. A 2.5-3T or TT motor with 300hp/320-350tq would be perfect here.

Things that sort of suck:
Camera quality as mentioned.

Things that don't suck:
Toyota Quality. 0 Issues with the truck, every single feature works every single time. I.E no weird door unlock/Uconnect ghost issues I have had in the past with FCA products. No CE lights and borked screen like in my TDI within the same milage.

Overall pretty happy with this thing still. And it is a pretty unique vehicle IMO. I have only seen 1 other TRD pro in lunar rock to date... And I have never seen another in a parking lot. Making it pretty special.

Pic below is from a friends house in Yerington nevada yesterday. (Middle of no where USA)

Truck looks good, 18mpg is atrocious for something made in 2020, why does your friend live in Yerington?

Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Because they decided to “save money on taxes” and he wanted to get a “shop” since he works on and races cars. But it was frankly an insanely dumb move imo. That place is a notch about the notorious Kingman. But still an utter S hole.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 am Because they decided to “save money on taxes” and he wanted to get a “shop” since he works on and races cars. But it was frankly an insanely dumb move imo. That place is a notch about the notorious Kingman. But still an utter S hole.
I've always driven through these areas and wondered who lives there and why. Cheap land and taxes were about all I could come up with. I like remote living, but this is bordering on 3rd world country status.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:13 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 am Because they decided to “save money on taxes” and he wanted to get a “shop” since he works on and races cars. But it was frankly an insanely dumb move imo. That place is a notch about the notorious Kingman. But still an utter S hole.
I've always driven through these areas and wondered who lives there and why. Cheap land and taxes were about all I could come up with. I like remote living, but this is bordering on 3rd world country status.
Home depot ... 1.5 hr drive EACH WAY. Closest Sushi place... 1 hr EACH WAY @75mph mind you...
There are no trees anywhere, just barren dirt (trees in pic are dying and were maintained by prior owner,), nothing can grow there.

I am expecting his AZN wife (only azn in town) to have a full meltdown within the year since she technically WORKS in SF. And we just went full open today and things are changing super rapidly here.

As mentioned some really took this pandemic and made EXTREME moves. :yikes:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Chiming it, driving to Grand Bend this week to do maintenance made me appreciate the only other thing that would make me think about living in no-mans-land, and that is space. As the lockdowns rage on in Ontario, the self-isolation makes me dislike large crowds more then usual, and I sometimes wonder what it would be like to own a farm (fertile, and functional). The work to run a farm is heinous vs the payoff in agricultural yield i suspect, especially considering my income for virtually just sitting on my ass, and occasionally "galivanting" at work as my wife likes to put it. Yes my job is simple, but living in the city gives a person different kinds of stress.

The worst part about self-isolated lifestyle (and one that becomes a multi-generational fuckery), is the loss of social skills. Fuck that, some of those catz are functionally retarded after a half-lifetime of being alone.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:19 am
Home depot ... 1.5 hr drive EACH WAY. Closest Sushi place... 1 hr EACH WAY @75mph mind you...
There are no trees anywhere, just barren dirt (trees in pic are dying and were maintained by prior owner,), nothing can grow there.

I am expecting his AZN wife (only azn in town) to have a full meltdown within the year since she technically WORKS in SF. And we just went full open today and things are changing super rapidly here.

Yea, those middle of nowhere areas make zero sense. I hate people and couldn't even do that. I like being within a ~30 minute drive of common amenities. These desert areas are :impressive: remote.

Amazing he convinced his azn wife to move there. That's not going to last. Now that the virus is somehow over (I don't get it), things are indeed changing quickly. I moved 3.5 hours from the office, but this is a completely different extreme.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Really liking the Cuckoma, at least looks wise. It doesn't make sense for me to have all these kinds of large vehicles, but I really do enjoy driving the Touareg, the roadworthiness is 5/7. Will be looking at new summer/ballz-seasons tires for it, and like hearing the feedback on what you're sporting there.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 am
Chiming it, driving to Grand Bend this week to do maintenance made me appreciate the only other thing that would make me think about living in no-mans-land, and that is space. As the lockdowns rage on in Ontario, the self-isolation makes me dislike large crowds more then usual, and I sometimes wonder what it would be like to own a farm (fertile, and functional). The work to run a farm is heinous vs the payoff in agricultural yield i suspect, especially considering my income for virtually just sitting on my ass, and occasionally "galivanting" at work as my wife likes to put it. Yes my job is simple, but living in the city gives a person different kinds of stress.

The worst part about self-isolated lifestyle (and one that becomes a multi-generational fuckery), is the loss of social skills. Fuck that, some of those catz are functionally retarded after a half-lifetime of being alone.
That region, just like Michigan, is fertile land that can sustain a farm. Self-sustaining life is a very real opportunity there and I've honestly thought about it myself. Never going to be wildly lucrative, but you can provide for yourself and work for yourself, which I find appealing.

However, this desert area that Max's buddy moved to is completely different. It's literally desert...no water, nothing grows (not even weeds, grass, anything), so it's just barren sand and stone with random tumbleweeds of dead plants that somehow grew in the mountains during the spring if there was some snow melt.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:28 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:19 am

Yea, those middle of nowhere areas make zero sense. I hate people and couldn't even do that. I like being within a ~30 minute drive of common amenities. These desert areas are :impressive: remote.

Amazing he convinced his azn wife to move there. That's not going to last. Now that the virus is somehow over (I don't get it), things are indeed changing quickly. I moved 3.5 hours from the office, but this is a completely different extreme.
Yea a bunch of people moved... it will be interesting to see which places have staying power and which ones will go full on :doomed: . There are some middle of no where places where price appreciation happened beyond all rhyme or reason.

Ironically she sort of wears the pants in that household and is the breadwinner. So she is the one that made the move... I may have planted some seeds because I was looking to move to Nevada for tax purposes myself. But No where near BFE where they went... I was thinking vegas but couldn't really justify the costs per say... but I am obviously way more trigger shy than most.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:31 am Really liking the Cuckoma, at least looks wise. It doesn't make sense for me to have all these kinds of large vehicles, but I really do enjoy driving the Touareg, the roadworthiness is 5/7. Will be looking at new summer/ballz-seasons tires for it, and like hearing the feedback on what you're sporting there.
10-4. I try to be really objective and point out the good and the bad without filter. There are plenty of upsides and downsides to every vehicle. I found the Cuckoma to be quite a great road trip vehicle so far. Does everything I want it to do. I still think a Defender is a better "lifestyle" choice for me but, as indicated above, we go to middle of no where places all the time. If the defender key took a shit or what not... good luck getting service anywhere outside of the rich areas.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm actually thinking that I should go sit in a Tacoma with the power seats knowing they're improved. I've never considered a Tacoma because of the seating, but if that's fixed it's on my radar. Wife wants one bad for some reason, the resale is appealing, and the size is right. An extended cab long bed TuRD Off-Road would be ideal for us, if one could be found. I just wish it didn't have a car engine, but that's the case with all midsize trucks, sadly.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:37 am I'm actually thinking that I should go sit in a Tacoma with the power seats knowing they're improved. I've never considered a Tacoma because of the seating, but if that's fixed it's on my radar. Wife wants one bad for some reason, the resale is appealing, and the size is right. An extended cab long bed TuRD Off-Road would be ideal for us, if one could be found. I just wish it didn't have a car engine, but that's the case with all midsize trucks, sadly.
I am :notsure: it makes that much of a difference. It is still pretty small inside, but overall it is doable. If you have no expectations of "perfection" i'd look elsewhere.

The issues with the taco is supply, it seems worse than any other mid sizer. Hence the above MSRP TRADE IN values. It may get better by end of the year but I'd expect nearly nothing off msrp.

The other issue with taco... it is a CHEAPish vehicle, remember... it is a full 12k cheaper than a comparable Gladiator. SO things like cameras, interior quality, door panels etc. Are all significantly inferior.

I would not recommend it for you to be honest. Gladiator is a "nicer" vehicle if you like the styling. Tacoma is more of a simpler cheaper tool vs a toy. The PRO gets it closer to the "Toy" status... but yea. And I am using Toy as a positive.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

ZR2 is probably Dplac’s best option.
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:53 am ZR2 is probably Dplac’s best option.
Yea I'd probably agree. I am curious about that diesel too... Diesel ZR2. Fixes the low end issues plaguing all the V6 mid sizers.
369 lb-ft of torque @ 2,000 rpm
The only number that matters.

Has anyone driven one?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:32 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:28 am

Yea a bunch of people moved... it will be interesting to see which places have staying power and which ones will go full on :doomed: . There are some middle of no where places where price appreciation happened beyond all rhyme or reason.

Ironically she sort of wears the pants in that household and is the breadwinner. So she is the one that made the move... I may have planted some seeds because I was looking to move to Nevada for tax purposes myself. But No where near BFE where they went... I was thinking vegas but couldn't really justify the costs per say... but I am obviously way more trigger shy than most.
I think there's going to be continued migration for years while people realize that areas they thought would be great actually suck. There's also the work element where I believe we're going to slowly go back to regular office time. I think eventually, it'll be like the virus never happened. We kind of flipped the "virus is gone" switch in the US, which still feels weird, and the greater powers are going to force things back to the way they've been forever.

All these people moved as a knee-jerk reaction not thinking about above. Meanwhile, we've been scheming to move to where we did for the last 5 years. Lots of thought has gone into our move, so even if it seems rash, we actually planned it out. Including a return to normal where I have to figure something else out for work. Moving should be taken seriously and carefully planned. A lot of people are in for a shock.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:43 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:37 am I'm actually thinking that I should go sit in a Tacoma with the power seats knowing they're improved. I've never considered a Tacoma because of the seating, but if that's fixed it's on my radar. Wife wants one bad for some reason, the resale is appealing, and the size is right. An extended cab long bed TuRD Off-Road would be ideal for us, if one could be found. I just wish it didn't have a car engine, but that's the case with all midsize trucks, sadly.
I am :notsure: it makes that much of a difference. It is still pretty small inside, but overall it is doable. If you have no expectations of "perfection" i'd look elsewhere.

The issues with the taco is supply, it seems worse than any other mid sizer. Hence the above MSRP TRADE IN values. It may get better by end of the year but I'd expect nearly nothing off msrp.

The other issue with taco... it is a CHEAPish vehicle, remember... it is a full 12k cheaper than a comparable Gladiator. SO things like cameras, interior quality, door panels etc. Are all significantly inferior.

I would not recommend it for you to be honest. Gladiator is a "nicer" vehicle if you like the styling. Tacoma is more of a simpler cheaper tool vs a toy. The PRO gets it closer to the "Toy" status... but yea. And I am using Toy as a positive.
I just want a tool. A tool that hauls and tows. Vehicular toys will be of the boat or SxS variety for me for the forseeable future. Interesting road going things are just too expensive, so I give up.

I'm still not buying anything for 10 months at the soonest, so current pricing and inventory issues shouldn't be a thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:56 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:53 am ZR2 is probably Dplac’s best option.
Yea I'd probably agree. I am curious about that diesel too... Diesel ZR2. Fixes the low end issues plaguing all the V6 mid sizers.
369 lb-ft of torque @ 2,000 rpm

Has anyone driven one?
I've driven them many times. The have great torque, but they're really winded on the highway. Passing isn't fun, high speed isn't fun. Cruising around 75-80 is fine, and the fuel economy is great. I've never towed with one, but I'm sure it would be great.

Biggest issue with them is the same as any modern diesel...complexity. Regen, emissions controllers and systems, I've known a few people with trucks long term that had issues with various sensors and whatever that will strand you because the vehicle is illegal to operate with the sensors dead. One dude I know tried to delete it ALL and the truck never ran right. He traded it in for a gas and hasn't looked back.

I want a diesel, but I don't want to deal with all the :bs: The next gen Colorado, which should be out next year, will get the 2.7T from the Silverado, and that will be a fantastic combo. It's crazy how decent the 2.7T is in the big truck, in the mid size it'll be :megusta:

I just won't be able to wait that long, I'm afraid. I have no idea if I'll be with my employer to do another corp lease, so I may be vehicle shopping in December/January of this year.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yes, I just realized I contradicted myself with my shopping timelines, I suck. December/Jan I'll be getting serious if I'm not doing another corp lease.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:56 am

Has anyone driven one?
I've driven them many times. The have great torque, but they're really winded on the highway. Passing isn't fun, high speed isn't fun. Cruising around 75-80 is fine, and the fuel economy is great. I've never towed with one, but I'm sure it would be great.

Biggest issue with them is the same as any modern diesel...complexity. Regen, emissions controllers and systems, I've known a few people with trucks long term that had issues with various sensors and whatever that will strand you because the vehicle is illegal to operate with the sensors dead. One dude I know tried to delete it ALL and the truck never ran right. He traded it in for a gas and hasn't looked back.

I want a diesel, but I don't want to deal with all the :bs: The next gen Colorado, which should be out next year, will get the 2.7T from the Silverado, and that will be a fantastic combo. It's crazy how decent the 2.7T is in the big truck, in the mid size it'll be :megusta:

I just won't be able to wait that long, I'm afraid. I have no idea if I'll be with my employer to do another corp lease, so I may be vehicle shopping in December/January of this year.
Interesting ... bummer about the diesel. I am pushing my buddy to unload his EcoDiesel because they pop crank bearings due to oiling issues caused by the EGR recirc dumping a bunch of coal ash into the oil and plugging up the oiling channels. Hence the major recall on that... too much shit being pushed back into the engine to burn ruining everything,

I hate that emissions literally ruined diesels.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Interesting ... bummer about the diesel. I am pushing my buddy to unload his EcoDiesel because they pop crank bearings due to oiling issues caused by the EGR recirc dumping a bunch of coal ash into the oil and plugging up the oiling channels. Hence the major recall on that... too much shit being pushed back into the engine to burn ruining everything,

Diesel had so much promise, and was on the way to become a viable bridge to electrification. Then the dieselgate freakout happened, people got scared, the .gov had to prove they do something, and now diesels are dead. It's very sad because I believe there's a lot of opportunity left to be tapped, but the world has picked EV for better or worse, and there's no changing that now.

The silver lining is that advanced engine controls with turbo charging has proven to be a fantastic alternative for gas. I'd take a 2.0 in the JT over the 3.6 ANY DAY despite "lower HP" because the torque is there and great. The 2.7 4-banger in the Silverado is legit decent, so that's another good opportunity. The only redeeming quality of the Ranger is the engine. Turbocharging gas engines is really the last hurrah for gas ICE, and it's a good one. Problem is, these engines are more expensive to produce (a turbro 4 cyl has higher variable cost than a NA V6 or even V8), so the NA car engines stick around for profit in cost challenged vehicles.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:30 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:17 pm

Diesel had so much promise, and was on the way to become a viable bridge to electrification. Then the dieselgate freakout happened, people got scared, the .gov had to prove they do something, and now diesels are dead. It's very sad because I believe there's a lot of opportunity left to be tapped, but the world has picked EV for better or worse, and there's no changing that now.

The silver lining is that advanced engine controls with turbo charging has proven to be a fantastic alternative for gas. I'd take a 2.0 in the JT over the 3.6 ANY DAY despite "lower HP" because the torque is there and great. The 2.7 4-banger in the Silverado is legit decent, so that's another good opportunity. The only redeeming quality of the Ranger is the engine. Turbocharging gas engines is really the last hurrah for gas ICE, and it's a good one. Problem is, these engines are more expensive to produce (a turbro 4 cyl has higher variable cost than a NA V6 or even V8), so the NA car engines stick around for profit in cost challenged vehicles.
I am :notsure: what happened exactly but the most reliable engines literally turned the MOST UNRELIABLE. In a matter of a few years. I know there has been a lot of gov reg on the matter. But it is just completely :fullretard:

Special oils, filters, piss, multiple cats, DPFS all kinds of shit was added and none of it is reliable. A shame but what can you do I suppose.