Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:23 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:20 am
Good day sir. Yes toyota Hybrids and Plug in hybrids are absolutely excellent and class leading in mpg/reliability and performance.

A Lexus "prime" version would be top of my list if they made vehicles that were styled a bit more different and catered towards men. Every lexus SUV short of perhaps the Land Cruiser (RIP) is a Bitch-Box. Not quite ready for that yet.
Toyota is the only company I'd seriously consider a hybrid from. They don't mess around, and there's a reason they're late to market with a lot of hybrid products...because they insist on doing them perfect.

I just wish they weren't so bland.
There's nothing :wrong: with vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by Tar on Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Buddy's gf just got a Mustang Mach-e.. I need to see about getting some seat time in it. The looks have grown on me slightly, but I'll always hate that they're calling it a Mustang with how big it is. Call it a fucking Clydesdale or something.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

This is an ETron GT in the "mid range" Prestige model with no other options is about $111k. NO this isn't the RS which is 150k+

yes it looks nice... But I mean over 100k... Is it a sports car? is it a fuck you car? is it a commuter car? I don't know... to me it's just too much money for a "car" that isn't remarkable

Last edited by max225 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:10 pm Buddy's gf just got a Mustang Mach-e.. I need to see about getting some seat time in it. The looks have grown on me slightly, but I'll always hate that they're calling it a Mustang with how big it is. Call it a fucking Clydesdale or something.
Why they didn't just call it a Fusion I will never understand. They already have the name. It evokes thoughts of electric power already, and the sedan formerly known by that name is gone. Mkay Ford.
max225

I am perhaps in the minority but I like that they made it a mustang. They tried to take their best BADGE and say... look at us, this is the BEST we can do from an EV perspective. And they mostly delivered IMO. I just looks ... boring.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 pm I am perhaps in the minority but I like that they made it a mustang. They tried to take their best BADGE and say... look at us, this is the BEST we can do from an EV perspective. And they mostly delivered IMO. I just looks ... boring.
I can respect that. Hadn't thought of it like that. It makes sense for sure, but I'm just not a fan of EV, so the whole car rubs me the wrong way :lol:
max225

So here is my current thinking: To bring things a bit more on track.

EV Wise:
BMW I3 to replace the mini is still of keen interest to me but I think an I3 at 30k is overpriced, yet it is multiples less than anything else.
Model 3P to be a bit of all worlds, performance + EV commuter but 58k+ is tough to swallow.
Mach E GT @ 63k a bit like the model 3, with a bit more space and less performance for more money.

ICE Wise:
Defender - To serve as a road trip/cool vehicle. Checks every box outside of reliability/cost of ownership. ~62-74k.

I am obviously trying to fix a lot of issues all at once. Yet final decision remains to be elusive/difficult.

We're T - 7 days on the defender rental and T- 1 month on the Boxster rental.
After the Defender rental decision will be made on whether or not to put the order money down on it and wait 4-6 months.

And here is the "curveball".

My ideal "attainable" garage would be
Defender for long road trips
Cayman GTS 4.0 manual for the performance
Model 3 LR as a commuter
But that's a solid quarter milskie in depreciating assets, and I don't feel like pushing my retirement back 5 years for that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:39 pm

:hai:

Lexus does have weird styling, they are retooling the RX350 as we speak, curious to see the redesign. Based on the new NX200 thing, I suspect it will be similar and a bit more subdued then the last gen (connected tail lights, et all).

Still nothing masculine to see here, and paired with their horrendous HU interface, it's always been a contributing factor in me avoiding the brand too.

I'm personally more about the utilitarian look of the Rav, at least in Adventure trim it has some Tacoma like appeal with a facia that's similar. Sadly the hybrid/prime versions don't get that look, but whatev. The more basic of a bread box the better, it tells people that I'm only here because of needs and not poor taste :lol:
RX Three or four Fiddy has like the highest female ownership ratio out of any SUV.... for multiple reasons. But I am not there yet to enjoy such a thing... I can appreciate it if a sidepiece drove me around in it, but to pay 60k to park one in the garage and it would be nothing but self loathing looking at it every morning.
They are good/nice cars but I'm with you, definitely 'basic bitch spec' to the max. :nope: , particularly for the high price.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:39 pm So here is my current thinking: To bring things a bit more on track.

EV Wise:
BMW I3 to replace the mini is still of keen interest to me but I think an I3 at 30k is overpriced, yet it is multiples less than anything else.
Model 3P to be a bit of all worlds, performance + EV commuter but 58k+ is tough to swallow.
Mach E GT @ 63k a bit like the model 3, with a bit more space and less performance for more money.

ICE Wise:
Defender - To serve as a road trip/cool vehicle. Checks every box outside of reliability/cost of ownership. ~62-74k.

I am obviously trying to fix a lot of issues all at once. Yet final decision remains to be elusive/difficult.

We're T - 7 days on the defender rental and T- 1 month on the Boxster rental.
After the Defender rental decision will be made on whether or not to put the order money down on it and wait 4-6 months.

And here is the "curveball".

My ideal "attainable" garage would be
Defender for long road trips
Cayman GTS 4.0 manual for the performance
Model 3 LR as a commuter
But that's a solid quarter milskie in depreciating assets, and I don't feel like pushing my retirement back 5 years for that.
Sell the MINI, get the Cayman GTS 4.0, keep the TSX or :tits: / road trips :lolol:

:iono: I would say 4-cyl Defender for $60K, i3, 981 Boxster, similar :dill: for like $120K.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 pm I am perhaps in the minority but I like that they made it a mustang. They tried to take their best BADGE and say... look at us, this is the BEST we can do from an EV perspective. And they mostly delivered IMO. I just looks ... boring.
:dat: I mean, I am :aintcare: about 'devaluing the Mustang brand' or whatever, and the fact that we are still talking about the controversy of it being a Mustang years later proves it was a genius marketing move.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I’d throw the civic sport in there for good measure
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:32 pm I’d throw the civic sport in there for good measure
New one is :gay: and old one is worth 5k more than new.
Old gen which I highly considered and loved, would have had the highest ROI (% wise) of any vehicle I Would have ever purchased.

The civic sport appreciated 5-6k depending on what you paid, and the mini i got lost 5-6k.

So obviously the mini was a dumb move and civic sport would have been epic (financially) speaking.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:32 pm I’d throw the civic sport in there for good measure
Old gen which I highly considered and loved, would have had the highest ROI (% wise) of any vehicle I Would have ever purchased.

The civic sport appreciated 5-6k depending on what you paid, and the mini i got lost 5-6k.

So obviously the mini was a dumb move and civic sport would have been epic (financially) speaking.
Sure financially, but not for fun. You knew the MINI would tank in value, they've never had good residual. But they're fun AF, so you pay for that I guess. Nobody saw the ridiculousness of the current market coming, so the Civic behavior is completely random IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:39 pm

Sure financially, but not for fun. You knew the MINI would tank in value, they've never had good residual. But they're fun AF, so you pay for that I guess. Nobody saw the ridiculousness of the current market coming, so the Civic behavior is completely random IMO.
Well I figured I'd respond to troll post with a non trolly serious response. Civic Sport is a great vehicle.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Out of curiosity, why is the new one :gay: ? I am sort of intrigued with the :manuel: NA version, the new Civic's interior is epic, and that will be one of the last 300K mile Hondas I bet. Fuck turbos.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:16 pm This is an ETron GT in the "mid range" Prestige model with no other options is about $111k. NO this isn't the RS which is 150k+

yes it looks nice... But I mean over 100k... Is it a sports car? is it a fuck you car? is it a commuter car? I don't know... to me it's just too much money for a "car" that isn't remarkable

Also, FWIW, I think THESE vehicles will be the true depreciate to zero items, not an LR Defender.

Tessies, eTrons, etc. are basically like phones, they are 100% about the latest/greatest tech and will be annoying to use and feel ancient and shitty in five years. When was the last time someone paid good money for a used Apple Watch? Once these EV things are more ubiquitous, older versions will be worth NOTHING. That is my prediction. They are nice today, will feel laggy and shitty in a few years.

I :remember: getting my iPhone 7 back in 2016 and at the time it was truly :mindblown: , the speed, the camera, everything. Today I have a perfectly serviceable iPhone 8 and it feels like an ancient turd and the photos on it look like ass compared to the 12 or whatever gen my wife has.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:54 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:16 pm This is an ETron GT in the "mid range" Prestige model with no other options is about $111k. NO this isn't the RS which is 150k+

Also, FWIW, I think THESE vehicles will be the true depreciate to zero items, not an LR Defender.

Tessies, eTrons, etc. are basically like phones, they are 100% about the latest/greatest tech and will be annoying to use and feel ancient and shitty in five years. When was the last time someone paid good money for a used Apple Watch? Once these EV things are more ubiquitous, older versions will be worth NOTHING. That is my prediction. They are nice today, will feel laggy and shitty in a few years.

I :remember: getting my iPhone 7 back in 2016 and at the time it was truly :mindblown: , the speed, the camera, everything. Today I have a perfectly serviceable iPhone 8 and it feels like an ancient turd and the photos on it look like ass compared to the 12 or whatever gen my wife has.
I am actually closely aligned with this sentiment which drives (pun intended) hesitation on my end to treat it as something nice vs disposable. I do not trust battery tech long term… my phones have proven that to me.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:50 pm

Out of curiosity, why is the new one :gay: ? I am sort of intrigued with the :manuel: NA version, the new Civic's interior is epic, and that will be one of the last 300K mile Hondas I bet. Fuck turbos.
I really liked the 1.5 turbo it had plenty of mid range and low end and was pretty darn fun to drive. I have no interest in their 2.slow. I’m driving a 2.4 almost daily now and it’s a fairly boring drive, taking out 20% power is just :disgust: to me

I am I guess in a minority but I much prefer the last gen styling, the bulbous 2004 accord styling on the new one does nothing for me.

There were no issues in the civic interior of the past. It was nice and functional… and the car didn’t need to grow and it did again! The last gen was cavernous !
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:10 pm

I really liked the 1.5 turbo it had plenty of mid range and low end and was pretty darn fun to drive. I have no interest in their 2.slow. I’m driving a 2.4 almost daily now and it’s a fairly boring drive, taking out 20% power is just :disgust: to me

I am I guess in a minority but I much prefer the last gen styling, the bulbous 2004 accord styling on the new one does nothing for me.

There were no issues in the civic interior of the past. It was nice and functional… and the car didn’t need to grow and it did again! The last gen was cavernous !
I do agree, the new exterior is pretty bland... I love the new interior :doe:

I think I'll wind up liking the outgoing Type R more, the crazy styling is fun to me.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Ex k24 1st gen tsx here. Now with the 2.slow

I definitely agree that the 1.5t doesn't feel dangerously slow. I'm personally not a fan of the cvt although this one was probably the best one I've driven followed by Kia Forte. 2.0t isn't exactly like a GTI, yes its quick, slightly quicker too stock for stock if you hammer it. But being a more comfortable car, boat if you will, GTI always feel like it makes me wanna drive like a douche nossle, 2slow accord is more like, eh every once in a while. The closest luxury german car I would probably compare would be an E class, ive been in those multiple times as a passenger (inc daughter desert gen [prob bc of diesel bc berlin taxis], the following gen and just now the outgoing previous gen) and this feels just as smooth the way it accelerates (but e feels deff more isolated)

My 2.4 tsx felt slightly more sportier, less floatier. But of course given its an NA, it is high revving to get to vtak. You definitely need to work for it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

2.slow in discussion doesn’t have a turbo in the civic
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I mostly agree with this but like Griff id be more interested in the 2.0. New gen is bland asf outside with a decent inside. Old one looked cool outside and was perfectly fine inside.

Honda gloss black interior plastics don’t stay looking wowzers for long. Ask me how I know.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:29 pm 2.slow in discussion doesn’t have a turbo in the civic
:dat: The Honda 2.0T is pretty darn powerful, 2.0NA is not, but I just like NA motors more. Turbo is meh.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Spotted in our local cars and coffee

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Surprised anyone is actually looking at that thing at C&C.

So today... the new pondering is model Y performance. From a tech+performance + utility perspective, it checks every box. I just hate the way it looks and that I would see 9 other model Ys in every target parking lot.