Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Irish wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:12 pm Dangerously slow I'm sure but still a fine specimen...... and :manuel:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/981aDP ... e-ram-1500

This is one of those posts that got lost...I responded yesterday.

This Truck is great at 5K but anything over is lunacy IMO or some sort of "museum" buy for future generations.

It isn't even that mint of a truck given the low miles. The bumper is crooked and fk'ed up in the back, front bumper is faded, as is the tailgate paint. This points to this truck spending significant time outside...

I wonder how miserable that thing is to drive also... :yikes: This is like the most hated on Ram Generation of all time.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:18 pm
Irish wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:12 pm Dangerously slow I'm sure but still a fine specimen...... and :manuel:

This Truck is great at 5K but anything over is lunacy IMO or some sort of "museum" buy for future generations.

It isn't even that mint of a truck given the low miles. The bumper is crooked and fk'ed up in the back, front bumper is faded, as is the tailgate paint. This points to this truck spending significant time outside...

I wonder how miserable that thing is to drive also... :yikes: This is like the most hated on Ram Generation of all time.
I always loved the exterior design of these things, but the underlying quality and interior is :notsure: :yikes:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 pm

I always loved the exterior design of these things, but the underlying quality and interior is :notsure: :yikes:
Ram always made my favorite (looking) trucks. But I think I was in high school when these came out and I remember reading all this hate about "Doge quality" failing steering components/failing suspension components on brand new vehicles etc... It was pretty messy in my recollection.

Fun article here

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/th ... s-forever/
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm not sure it's just because they are trucks and they get beat to shit or whether they just haven't held up well but 95% of this gen I see is COMPLETELY trashed. That said my buddy had a short box 4x4 version of this with the 360 and it ran pretty strong. The 318 would run just fine but the 3.9 V6 in the full size would suffer the same maladies Chris complains of. I also share your opinion that it should look better with 16K on the clock. Also it is 2WD. The low mileage is likely a result of ownership wishing to avoid Seppuku.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:21 pm

I'm not sure it's just because they are trucks and they get beat to shit or whether they just haven't held up well but 95% of this gen I see is COMPLETELY trashed. That said my buddy had a short box 4x4 version of this with the 360 and it ran pretty strong. The 318 would run just fine but the 3.9 V6 in the full size would suffer the same maladies Chris complains of. I also share your opinion that it should look better with 16K on the clock. Also it is 2WD. The low mileage is likely a result of ownership wishing to avoid Seppuku.
This was an old man's truck who just treated it like a truck but didn't need to go anywhere. Low miles, but high ZFG other than maintenance (hopefully). It probably looked trashed when whoever is selling it found it, and some elbow grease got it up to this level. I wouldn't pay more than $5k for the thing...and even that's a stretch for what it is. This thing would be MISERABLE to drive and good luck hauling much of anything in that huge bed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 pm
Ram always made my favorite (looking) trucks. But I think I was in high school when these came out and I remember reading all this hate about "Doge quality" failing steering components/failing suspension components on brand new vehicles etc... It was pretty messy in my recollection.

Fun article here

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/th ... s-forever/
It was a marvel of design when it came out, and there were certainly some engineering innovations in it that helped the company and industry, but they're not great vehicles by any stretch. Compared to a GMT400, this is a toy.

Chrysler has never had good quality, and still doesn't. I could write a novel on why, but I won't get into it because nobody would believe me if I tried.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Daddy Doug has this one too ..... tell me what's wrong with it :trollface:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rb1nGp ... imited-4x4
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Too red.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Irish wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:09 pm Daddy Doug has this one too ..... tell me what's wrong with it :trollface:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rb1nGp ... imited-4x4
Wow ! This one is nice!

Nearly nothing wrong with it other than the description says 5 speed auto and it can only have 4. Which points to a fairly uneducated owner. And there seems to be some not so insignificant rust near the rear C channel frame.

The 3.4 is a great motor but it sludges if not maintained every 5k miles. Also glad to see it bad timing belt done that isn’t cheap or easy.

Overall I think this is my favorite gen taco. I have the same one but in basic bitch 2wd and roll up spec
max225

Update on Tacoma:

8100 miles on it now. I think I am going to get an alignment check at the stealership at the 10k service, they only want $99.99. It seems to go straight but occasionally i feel like I am steering right to keep it straight... which is a bit odd, because usually roads are banked to the right requiring you to steer left.

I am LOVING the toyota service and PARTS prices. There is 0 reason not to go OEM/dealer. Unlike most euro crap I am used to.

Truck is coming up on the 1 year relatively soon... time frigging FLIES!

No issues to report other than the tonneau cover which is NOT OEM is slightly rubbing into the gate plastic because they couldn't measure OEM lengths accurately I suppose. But that part is like $9 at toyota so I :aintcare:

MPG is keeping steady in high teens. Around 17 or so in my local driving. We're solidly at or above $4 a gallon, but I am not complaining until we hit $10.

max225

Wow... I just realized the mini only got 650 miles in the last 6 months :wtf:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:Wow... I just realized the mini only got 650 miles in the last 6 months :wtf:
:truckyeah: :wasteful:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:42 pm
max225 wrote:Wow... I just realized the mini only got 650 miles in the last 6 months :wtf:
:truckyeah: :wasteful:
Yea unfortunately both me and woman prefer to drive the Taco... because the mini gets bullied on the roads and the roads are shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:42 pm :truckyeah: :wasteful:
Yea unfortunately both me and woman prefer to drive the Taco... because the mini gets bullied on the roads and the roads are shit.
This is why sporty cars are all but dead.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I kind of get it but if you really want to experience being bullied on the road then try riding a bicycle.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:07 pm Update on Tacoma:

8100 miles on it now. I think I am going to get an alignment check at the stealership at the 10k service, they only want $99.99. It seems to go straight but occasionally i feel like I am steering right to keep it straight... which is a bit odd, because usually roads are banked to the right requiring you to steer left.

I am LOVING the toyota service and PARTS prices. There is 0 reason not to go OEM/dealer. Unlike most euro crap I am used to.

Truck is coming up on the 1 year relatively soon... time frigging FLIES!

No issues to report other than the tonneau cover which is NOT OEM is slightly rubbing into the gate plastic because they couldn't measure OEM lengths accurately I suppose. But that part is like $9 at toyota so I :aintcare:

MPG is keeping steady in high teens. Around 17 or so in my local driving. We're solidly at or above $4 a gallon, but I am not complaining until we hit $10.

:nice:

JT is at 18.7 and I just passed 10k miles this weekend. 87 is right around $3/gal out here.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm I kind of get it but if you really want to experience being bullied on the road then try riding a bicycle.
I wouldn’t share the road with cars and I hate bikers on the road. They don’t follow the rules and when you call them out on it they rage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:26 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm I kind of get it but if you really want to experience being bullied on the road then try riding a bicycle.
I wouldn’t share the road with cars and I hate bikers on the road. They don’t follow the rules and when you call them out on it they rage.
:notwrong:

There are some rules that I feel are meant to be broken on bikes, others that are not. Many cyclists are downright douchey and dangerous, it's no wonder most motorists hate us.

:ohwell:

Glad the Cuckoma is working out nicely. :iono: for 1300 miles/year I would just dump the Mini, seems like an epic waste. Trim the fat, it's a cool car but it's not really sit in the garage and clean with a diaper status.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:15 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:26 pm

There are some rules that I feel are meant to be broken on bikes, others that are not. Many cyclists are downright douchey and dangerous, it's no wonder most motorists hate us.

Glad the Cuckoma is working out nicely. :iono: for 1300 miles/year I would just dump the Mini, seems like an epic waste. Trim the fat, it's a cool car but it's not really sit in the garage and clean with a diaper status.
The main hold out is return to work to be honest. We need to have 2 cars for sure. But we have 3 … she is holding out to her fully depreciated TSX and I have my mini and now taco… I don’t think I’m going to do a 100mile round trip commute on my taco.

But that’s why I was talking about an E car. Every single :plac: move was triggered for me by either a work or residence change.

I got the tdi because I drove 25k miles a year @4.50 gas in 2010 vs getting 15.5mpg on the JGC.

Then Dieselgate the tdi and got the 370z because I started working in sf and drove only 5k miles a year

Then I got another job and needed to drive 10-15k miles and the 370z was unbearable on our roads, so bmw leases. Then mini because I didn’t want a car payment for house purchase…

Now pandemic …

:plac: will happen
Apex

max225 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:15 pm

The main hold out is return to work to be honest. We need to have 2 cars for sure. But we have 3 … she is holding out to her fully depreciated TSX and I have my mini and now taco… I don’t think I’m going to do a 100mile round trip commute on my taco.

But that’s why I was talking about an E car. Every single :plac: move was triggered for me by either a work or residence change.

I got the tdi because I drove 25k miles a year @4.50 gas in 2010 vs getting 15.5mpg on the JGC.

Then Dieselgate the tdi and got the 370z because I started working in sf and drove only 5k miles a year

Then I got another job and needed to drive 10-15k miles and the 370z was unbearable on our roads, so bmw leases. Then mini because I didn’t want a car payment for house purchase…

Now pandemic …

Only 100mile commute? :gay:

I’m doing 160 miles starting tomorrow. Yay me! :lol:
max225

Apex wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:24 pm

Now pandemic …

Well for now it’s near 0… but yea … 160 is :impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Now pandemic …

Yikes! That is from the in-laws to work? Brutal. Isn't your :jeep: :truk: a lease?

How far is it from the new :haus: ?

Might be time to add a Fled machine to the fleet :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:33 am

Yikes! That is from the in-laws to work? Brutal. Isn't your :jeep: :truk: a lease?

That really is brutal. Time for a new gig once the house is closed.
Apex

Yeah, that’s from the in-laws to work. It’s gonna be real fun since work wants everyone back 5-days a week starting June 14th…

:jeep: :truk: is indeed a lease, mileage be damned! :lol:

As Detroit said, it’s gonna be time to look for a new gig once the house closes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:38 am

Yeah, that’s from the in-laws to work. It’s gonna be real fun since work wants everyone back 5-days a week starting June 14th…

:jeep: :truk: is indeed a lease, mileage be damned! :lol:

As Detroit said, it’s gonna be time to look for a new gig once the house closes.
:notbad: