Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:02 am

I could do the Colorado with 2 hands, I needed 3 or 4 to do the R56. :lol:
:lol:

I always just unbolted the coolant reservoir and shoved it off to the side, made things far easier.
I had someone hold the reservoir out of the way so I could get at the filter, but damn was that less than convenient.

I’m kinda looking forward to the JT 710 changes now. :lol:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

In the spirit of :triggered: and just information sharing I wanted to give an update on my :taco:
3 months and 3000 miles later.

Overall the truck is still quite good and I still enjoy it greatly. Thanks to covid shutting down a fair portion of my travel plans I haven't taken it many places. But this will change.
That said, the :taco: has been actively partaking in DD duty.

Here are some updates:

What's annoying/Bad?
1. The MPGs have decreased to about 17-18 thanks to more city/mountain miles ( I live on a 1000ft hill, and climb that whenever I get back home).
2. The biggest complaint of mine is still the low(ish) torque from 1500-2500rpm. This engine has plenty of power from 4500-6500 but honestly that power band is USELESS in a :truck: similar to what happens in a Jeep.
I find myself lugging at 65-75mph because the engine can't keep the speed and I don't want it to shift down during cruising.
3. The idle while ok, isn't super smooth. This thing seems to be sensitive to donkey piss. I can tell when I get the cheaper gas (brand not octane)
4. Oil change was a bit annoying (mentioned before) I am still awaiting blackstone results

What's good ?
1. Starts every time and runs great.
2. Great ride quality and overall I still love the size.
3. Seems to be holding the value for now.
4. I can't think of a single vehicle I would want to replace it with.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Can we get a picture of you parked with one wheel on a curb or something hardcore like that? It's a TuRD PRO afterall.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:33 pm Can we get a picture of you parked with one wheel on a curb or something hardcore like that? It's a TuRD PRO afterall.
I posted a pic 1” deep in mud. Not too long ago. Is that not hardcore enough ?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Not enough flex
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:54 pm Not enough flex
My :truk: will be the anti flex. It will see less sun than garage. And I’m pretty happy about that. No farts is a nice thing to have I want to keep it nice for as long as possible. But ... snow may be in the works soon. And a big trip is planned for feb... 🤯
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:54 pm Not enough flex
My :truk: will be the anti flex. It will see less sun than garage. And I’m pretty happy about that. No farts is a nice thing to have I want to keep it nice for as long as possible. But ... snow may be in the works soon. And a big trip is planned for feb... 🤯
Farts and snownuts :truckyeah:
max225

For those saying i wasted money. I’ll pull up the crown Vic one in a bit. The initial oil change is shitty and waiting for 10k miles is a crime.

Results compared to 7200 miles on an older engine.
5X the amount of alumnium
2X the amount of iron
20x the amount of copper
20x the amount os silicone etc

Yea :gtfo: everyone that said this is a bad idea. The bad idea is to keep it in there for 10k miles from new. I have the :science: to prove it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:00 pm Image

For those saying i wasted money. I’ll pull up the crown Vic one in a bit. The initial oil change is shitty and waiting for 10k miles is a crime.

2X the amount of iron
20x the amount of copper

Yea :gtfo: everyone that said this is a bad idea. The bad idea is to keep it in there for 10k miles from new. I have the :science: to prove it.
So i guess the only thing is...does it matter for engine life?

Pretty remarkable IMO, thanks for posting the :science: I was quite curious since pretty much all OEMs say break-in doesn't require early oil changes.. including the one I work for even with maintaining corporate owned vehicles.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:21 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:00 pm Image

2X the amount of iron
20x the amount of copper

Pretty remarkable IMO, thanks for posting the :science: I was quite curious since pretty much all OEMs say break-in doesn't require early oil changes.. including the one I work for even with maintaining corporate owned vehicles.
I mean this is 12,000 miles on a 405k mile crown victoria oil... And I have 4x less aluminum and 20x less silicone in the oil. I would say it matters. LONG term 100% it does. 0-70k miles where most of "corp" vehicles live. Probably not. But I am willing to bet this is doing damage...

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:21 pm

I mean this is 12,000 miles on a 405k mile crown victoria oil... And I have 4x less aluminum and 20x less silicone in the oil. I would say it matters. LONG term 100% it does. 0-70k miles where most of "corp" vehicles live. Probably not. But I am willing to bet this is doing damage...

Fascinating.

I don't see how it can't do some damage, or at least increase the risk of damage. I guess in the age where the first few oil changes are "free" the oem is just worried about getting through the 60k or whatever PT warranty and pushing the customer from getting an "early" oil change so most forget?

I find this really strange, but enlightening.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Hey max do you think it's out of the realm of possibility that Toyota uses a break in oil or additive that includes some of:

2X the amount of iron
20x the amount of copper
20x the amount os silicone

etc? Would Blackstone know if OEMs do this or not?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I’ve never done an analysis through Blackstone, but seeing yours makes me glad I changed my oil after the first 5k rather than wait the full recommended 10k. I’ve done every 5k since then too.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:41 pm Hey max do you think it's out of the realm of possibility that Toyota uses a break in oil or additive that includes some of:

2X the amount of iron
20x the amount of copper
20x the amount os silicone

etc? Would Blackstone know if OEMs do this or not?
The only additive could be the silicone. I have had that spike with Valvoline oil before. But the metals should never be in break in oil, that doesn’t make
Any sort of sense.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:45 pm I’ve never done an analysis through Blackstone, but seeing yours makes me glad I changed my oil after the first 5k rather than wait the full recommended 10k. I’ve done every 5k since then too.
I would recommend you send it in after your 5k. My main task was to figure out whether the initial oil in there is ok. Subsequent changes I’ll make sure to monitor as well. But as you can see the crown Vic has an ancient engine and decent numbers with 12k miles on Walmart oil
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Fascinating.

I don't see how it can't do some damage, or at least increase the risk of damage. I guess in the age where the first few oil changes are "free" the oem is just worried about getting through the 60k or whatever PT warranty and pushing the customer from getting an "early" oil change so most forget?

Yea that’s exactly why I did it.

Everyone has these opinions about it being “fine” etc, but there are historical knowledge bases that clearly point to early changes on the first one. Including bmw which still recommends it at 1200miles on the M motors.

The plebes won’t notice things until 100k+ miles and blame the car but I’m trying to be cognizant and do things right.

I did an oil change at home and this didn’t cost that much money to do. $70 all in between the oil and the analysis. And I’m actually able to formulate a statement based on science vs “my grandpa did it this way and never had a problem “
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:52 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:45 pm I’ve never done an analysis through Blackstone, but seeing yours makes me glad I changed my oil after the first 5k rather than wait the full recommended 10k. I’ve done every 5k since then too.
I would recommend you send it in after your 5k. My main task was to figure out whether the initial oil in there is ok. Subsequent changes I’ll make sure to monitor as well. But as you can see the crown Vic has an ancient engine and decent numbers with 12k miles on Walmart oil
Walmart Supertech tests very well. Crazy value at $14 for 5qt
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So how much are these tests? Kinda want to do one on the Audi.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 pm
Fascinating.

Yea that’s exactly why I did it.

Everyone has these opinions about it being “fine” etc, but there are historical knowledge bases that clearly point to early changes on the first one. Including bmw which still recommends it at 1200miles on the M motors.

The plebes won’t notice things until 100k+ miles and blame the car but I’m trying to be cognizant and do things right.

I did an oil change at home and this didn’t cost that much money to do. $70 all in between the oil and the analysis. And I’m actually able to formulate a statement based on science vs “my grandpa did it this way and never had a problem “
Grandpa was right :doe:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:03 pm So how much are these tests? Kinda want to do one on the Audi.
$30
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:56 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:52 pm

$22 for Mobil 1 ?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:56 pm

$22 for Mobil 1 ?
Usually Mobil 1 is $25 here, but I don't think Mobil 1 is $10 better oil.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:03 pm So how much are these tests? Kinda want to do one on the Audi.
$30
I think I'm at 3k miles on this oil right now. I'll get a kit but it's too fucking cold to change the oil right now.
max225

So quick update on the clowncar.

I have probably not driven it in 2 + months, because my sig other stole it from me. And due to the cuckdown we're mostly taking the truck to go places.

I completely forgot so many great things about this car on my drive yesterday.

Interior quality is still amazing ! Stereo/seats/all materials are top notch.
The power in the car is just :mindblown: after the taco. This thing passes in 6th gear and gains speed rapidly, the taco needs to kick down 2 gears and LAAAGGG. Ironically the taco is the one with N/A engine.
Also the interior is BIG, for a tiny car there are not issues for giant dudes and with the seat all the way back I can't reach the pedals. Contrary to most vehicles.

On the flip side... tons of bumpiness on shitty pavement and you have to dodge the craters in the road constantly, which really makes driving stressful and tiring.

I still :wub: this thing. What a great little car.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 am So quick update on the clowncar.

I have probably not driven it in 2 + months, because my sig other stole it from me. And due to the cuckdown we're mostly taking the truck to go places.

I completely forgot so many great things about this car on my drive yesterday.

Interior quality is still amazing ! Stereo/seats/all materials are top notch.
The power in the car is just :mindblown: after the taco. This thing passes in 6th gear and gains speed rapidly, the taco needs to kick down 2 gears and LAAAGGG. Ironically the taco is the one with N/A engine.
Also the interior is BIG, for a tiny car there are not issues for giant dudes and with the seat all the way back I can't read the pedals. Contrary to most vehicles.

On the flip side... tons of bumpiness on shitty pavement and you have to dodge the craters in the road constantly, which really makes driving stressful and tiring.

I still :wub: this thing. What a great little car.
:wub: