max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:20 am https://www.carforniasolutions.com/deta ... r/62216648

And.... :manuel: should be interesting
Love the :manuel: and color.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm I like the FJ... to me, you can't really go wrong with that or a cheaper new JL. Pick which one you like more. The ownershit costs will be a coin flip. JL is new, convertible, manual available versus FJ unique, a bit more space (than two door), and Toyota reliability. As long as the 4X4 craze continues, they are both pretty safe buys compared to most vehicles.
My issue is there is no “cheap jl” I think I would
Probably go hard top, soft top likely won’t work for me. That means 40k otd... way more than the FJ. A lot of price creep.

The small 2 door is just quite impractical I also prefer the looks of a 4 door. And it would have a trunk vs a joke. I’ll see if I can get some sort of lease deal perhaps. As I have no loooooong term ownershit. And miles aren’t super key for me... as I would have two vehicles
I feel like almost no one actually takes the soft top off the :jeep: because it's a hassle and takes up a ton of room. If you wouldn't actually use the convertible feature, I'd get the FJ. Just my $0.02.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

FJ doors still unbolt and can be placed in the trunk
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:29 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 pm

My issue is there is no “cheap jl” I think I would
Probably go hard top, soft top likely won’t work for me. That means 40k otd... way more than the FJ. A lot of price creep.

The small 2 door is just quite impractical I also prefer the looks of a 4 door. And it would have a trunk vs a joke. I’ll see if I can get some sort of lease deal perhaps. As I have no loooooong term ownershit. And miles aren’t super key for me... as I would have two vehicles
I feel like almost no one actually takes the soft top off the :jeep: because it's a hassle and takes up a ton of room. If you wouldn't actually use the convertible feature, I'd get the FJ. Just my $0.02.
I thought about it ... sure it’s great on paper but in practice , I would have to “drive” to a lot of these destinations that are hours away. Doing that with a tent on my head is likely going to be worse than the short amount of enjoyment I’d get out of using it like a convertible. After looking at the tents in person ... I can’t do it
max225

So Ladies and gents. I have now driven 5! Fjs.
Todays victim was a 63k mile FJ with a :manuel:

This thing continues to grow on me...
First specific to FJ :manuel:
The clutch pedal is decent, the throws are longish but very direct and it is supremely easy to drive, as this engine prefers low end torque unlike the JK/JL.
This is WORLDS better than a JK manual, but it is certainly not as good as the JL. But.... The great equalizer is the motor. The FJ motor is a far better suited for this vehicle than the JL motor to the :manuel:

That said... About this particular vehicle
1 owner
63k miles
All in sf... countless service records
New Michelin tires
Drove Great
Really quiet...
No fender bulge I have yet to see that issue... after 5 cars not 1 had it. Perhaps it was a forum bro overblown issue as always.

And here comes the shit...
Several dents on the car... some biggish that broke through the paint :wtf:
The second you open the door, you whiff WET DOG... like the car REEKED of DOG. So much.... I am curious if it is possible to get that stench out or if it is perma ruined?! Can anyone with furry friends chime in?
The clutch was fucked... I suppose because it was in SF... and that's why someone :nope: 'd it... every time it was in gear, above 30% throttle the rpms would flair... :disgust:
Surface rust... which is RARE in cali cars, but this owner probably took it up to the snow here on the regular... none of it goes past surface but it was odd to see...
Semi etched paint...

But... this was priced at 18.6 which is a full 8k cheaper than the 2012 I was looking at. Now... if they were to fix the clutch, and if I could get the dog stench out ... I think this would be the winner for me.

What say yee

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Get the truck. Rescue a dog. Car smells like dog? Comes with dog ownership.

https://www.sfspca.org/adoptions/dogs/?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:58 pm Get the truck. Rescue a dog. Car smells like dog? Comes with dog ownership.

Well you has dogs... Is there a way to get the smell out? Or is it foreverdoomed.. also you must have missed the whole blown out clutch sitch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I hope you can get this one, I like it a lot, perfect combo.

:iono: on the dog stench though, I'd imagine it's easier to eliminate than smoking, but might be difficult.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:08 pm I hope you can get this one, I like it a lot, perfect combo.

:iono: on the dog stench though, I'd imagine it's easier to eliminate than smoking, but might be difficult.
$2k clutch job :( otherwise I would do it... I did like the :manuel: in this thing...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:08 pm I hope you can get this one, I like it a lot, perfect combo.

$2k clutch job :( otherwise I would do it... I did like the :manuel: in this thing...
See if that can be negotiated into the price, then you have a car with a new clutch. I didn't even know they made FJs with :manuel: , but down the line it may be worth something due to rarity and :derp: like myself who really want :manuel: .
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:12 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:09 pm

See if that can be negotiated into the price, then you have a car with a new clutch. I didn't even know they made FJs with :manuel: , but down the line it may be worth something due to rarity and :derp: like myself who really want :manuel: .
I mean I don't think these guys will budge... they will have to eat a 2k clutch job and I wasn't super happy with the 18k asking price either... if it was a squeeky clean car sure, but the dog smell+dents+surface rust are not "average" to me... especially with 63k miles... I'd offer them around 16+ New clutch... a full 4k less than their "asking price" when you factor in the repair.

Like when I say dog smell I don't mean its a little bit... I am now sitting at work and I smell like a wet dog after a 15 min test drive. :wtf:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:58 pm Get the truck. Rescue a dog. Car smells like dog? Comes with dog ownership.

Well you has dogs... Is there a way to get the smell out? Or is it foreverdoomed.. also you must have missed the whole blown out clutch sitch.
I’d expect most cars to require a clutch if you’re looking at high mileage used ones in the SF Bay Area.

Dog smell. It’s mostly in there man. Lisa had a car where the owners dog used to sit in the footwell and the whole thing reeked of dog forever. I made an improvement by heavy vacuuming but it never came fully out.

My dog doesn’t smell as bad because short hair.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:59 pm

I’d expect most cars to require a clutch if you’re looking at high mileage used ones in the SF Bay Area.

Dog smell. It’s mostly in there man. Lisa had a car where the owners dog used to sit in the footwell and the whole thing reeked of dog forever. I made an improvement by heavy vacuuming but it never came fully out.

This thing doesn’t really have carpet ... it must have gone into seats....

63k miles is high mileage ?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You are not going to buy this truk. What's next?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 pm

This thing doesn’t really have carpet ... it must have gone into seats....

63k miles is high mileage ?
63k isn’t out of the realm of needing a clutch if you’re starting on a hill all the time.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 pm You are not going to buy this truk. What's next?
This
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 pm You are not going to buy this truk. What's next?
Um... the ballsac truk for 25.8k.
max225

max225

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 am https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 07998.html

I emailed this dude.
Non-smoking and no-pets ever in vehicle.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 am https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 07998.html

I emailed this dude.
So far he is not budging on price even though he is 7k off private party kbb in excellent condition 3% of cars according to them ...
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:50 am

So far he is not budging on price even though he is 7k off private party kbb in excellent condition 3% of cars according to them ...
He knows what he has
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

He is selling his mods at full list price
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

He knows what he has. You're buying something of a cult vehicle. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get over the price if history is any guide. The wolf is not a sheep to be shorn.