Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:25 pm Lighter, wider wheels with stickier tires? Who do you think you are, MaxEngineer?

Mods are a waste of money, the OEM engineers know better than some forumbro.
If you read an earlier rant of mine tires and shocks were the sole exceptions because some aftermarket companies are so specialized in the field that you can do better.

Pss are too expensive to be put on a mini... so it makes sense they are an upgrade
Tires and suspension are chosen by the OEM as compromises. Tires are for as much efficiency as possible to hit performance metrics, and suspensions are tuned to cater to the vast majority of a certain target market. You can absolutely improve a vehicle for your own preferences by going aftermarket on these.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 pm https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/f ... n-pss.html

This is interesting...
:doit:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

This was my commute to work with almost no traffic :unicorn: . On the BMW I would get at most 23/24mpg for the same route. Now why am I posting this?

For those that are interested... This car is VERY dependant on how you drive it, I notice that in the lower HP vehicles. In the M3 it didn't really matter what I did I would constantly get 20-21, driving like a goon or a saint. In the mini the mileage can vary drastically.

Johnny style 55-65mph freeway cruising is 35-40mpg. EASY.
75-80 cali cruising is around 32mpg
"traffic" commuting is absolutely abysmal in the mini, I am :notsure: why but i get high teens to low 20s so I blend out to about 26-27 which I have been getting.

Just in case anyone was curious.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:16 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Nice clowncar tank. Also, Max, it doesn't cost any more to run on the top half of the tank.
:wrong:

It costs him his health and sanity to deal with the poors at the pump.
:dat: I fking hate filling up. It is really fking annoying. Most gas stations around my house are 40-50 cents higher than costco. And Costco is a fking zoo, so I have to time it... or I can just :troywax: but that's not the :scrooge: MO
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:16 am

:wrong:

It costs him his health and sanity to deal with the poors at the pump.
:dat: I fking hate filling up. It is really fking annoying. Most gas stations around my house are 40-50 cents higher than costco. And Costco is a fking zoo, so I have to time it... or I can just :troywax: but that's not the :scrooge: MO
If I had to sit in a gas station line like a poor it would annoy the shit out of me too.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm :dat: I fking hate filling up. It is really fking annoying. Most gas stations around my house are 40-50 cents higher than costco. And Costco is a fking zoo, so I have to time it... or I can just :troywax: but that's not the :scrooge: MO
If I had to sit in a gas station line like a poor it would annoy the shit out of me too.
I have never waited in line beyond one car for gas. That is :fullretard: - go at 10 PM or whenever it's not busy, the price is the same all day.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I have never waited in line beyond one car for gas. That is :fullretard: - go at 10 PM or whenever it's not busy, the price is the same all day.
hence the timing comment.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:00 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm

At least once a week... sometimes twice... That's the part that is annoying. Gas :dill: 's aren't super easy to find and costco saves $4-5 per tank on the regular, even in my tiny ass tank...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
You'd think so, but it's not. Gas prices are like Uber, they surge. About a week ago it was 11am and I was on my way to the doctor and needed gas. As soon as I got done pumping I saw the sign and the pumps update and increase the price by $0.35/gallon.

I mean, :wtf:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:00 pm

At least once a week... sometimes twice... That's the part that is annoying. Gas :dill: 's aren't super easy to find and costco saves $4-5 per tank on the regular, even in my tiny ass tank...
At least premium isn't a huge markup out there. I pay an extra $10/tank or more just for 93.

$0.70 spread yesterday when I filled up in NJ :disgust:

Also NJ :disgust:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 pm

At least premium isn't a huge markup out there. I pay an extra $10/tank or more just for 93.

Why does it matter, the price paid is all that matters. We’re the highest in the nation. Average premium is $4,50 average regular is 4.20.

If your regular is $2.50 and premium is $3.30 you’re still 40% lower than us getting absolutely fleeced.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Why does it matter, the price paid is all that matters. We’re the highest in the nation. Average premium is $4,50 average regular is 4.20.

If your regular is $2.50 and premium is $3.30 you’re still 40% lower than us getting absolutely fleeced.
:dat:

and I'm pretty sure that PA gets 93 octane as premium where we get the watered down 91.
Johnny_P

because its not worth 30% extra cost
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:47 pm

because its not worth 30% extra cost
Yea tell that to us and the 100% extra we're paying over everyone else. Sometimes it is what it is... There is certainly some criminal shit going on with the cali gas price situation.
max225

We're 50 cents higher than Hawaii. :disgust:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:51 pm Image

We're 50 cents higher than Hawaii. :disgust:
For those of you following along at home, this is :fullretard: :poop:
max225

Do those of y’all bitching about prop taxes or “bad roads” how about all that ? We all have it real nice :disgust: what’s happening to this country...

Also we had mandatory power outages... and fires still started in the areas where they actually shut power off... every time they do this some :derp: brings out the generator sets it in dry grass, and then uses matches to get it going.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:31 pm Do those of y’all bitching about prop taxes or “bad roads” how about all that ? We all have it real nice :disgust: what’s happening to this country...

Also we had mandatory power outages... and fires still started in the areas where they actually shut power off... every time they do this some :derp: brings out the generator sets it in dry grass, and then uses matches to get it going.
Price to pay to live in “utopia”
troyguitar

max225 wrote:Do those of y’all bitching about prop taxes or “bad roads” how about all that ? We all have it real nice :disgust: what’s happening to this country...

You pay jack shit in taxes, have epic weather, epic jobs, epic people, and oh yeah epic real estate gains. Your place is still light years ahead of the rest of the country.

Your house makes more than our household income.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm
max225 wrote:Do those of y’all bitching about prop taxes or “bad roads” how about all that ? We all have it real nice :disgust: what’s happening to this country...

You pay jack shit in taxes, have epic weather, epic jobs, epic people, and oh yeah epic real estate gains. Your place is still light years ahead of the rest of the country.

-4% for the last 12 months. Most areas projected to decline here. :yeahok: road to riches is done now that we’re squeezing China
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm You pay jack shit in taxes, have epic weather, epic jobs, epic people, and oh yeah epic real estate gains. Your place is still light years ahead of the rest of the country.

-4% for the last 12 months. Most areas projected to decline here. :yeahok: road to riches is done now that we’re squeezing China
:baby:

So you've only made how many hundreds of thousands of dollars on it so far by doing nothing?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm
max225 wrote:

So you've only made how many hundreds of thousands of dollars on it so far by doing nothing?
You only “make” that money when you sell.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm
max225 wrote:

Uh... yeah, and it takes money to make money. Pretty sure if you took the cost into consideration the percentages aren't that far off. It would be like saying if you have $1M in the bank you made so much more money on your interest earning checking than someone with $10K.

Anywhere else in the country that isn't also bonkers, you can have a job and buy a house inside a year if you go cheap on spending. Here? many people save for 10 years to get a house they really can't afford and the down payment is more than the average house price in the USA.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm :baby:

Uh... yeah, and it takes money to make money. Pretty sure if you took the cost into consideration the percentages aren't that far off. It would be like saying if you have $1M in the bank you made so much more money on your interest earning checking than someone with $10K.

Anywhere else in the country that isn't also bonkers, you can have a job and buy a house inside a year if you go cheap on spending. Here? many people save for 10 years to get a house they really can't afford and the down payment is more than the average house price in the USA.
This is the same old story in Toronto as well, it's naive to say you get free money by owning real estate. Being able to attain a loan and a job that can pay for that loan requires a great deal of effort, as is always the down payment which needs to be saved for well a person works and pays bills which obviously includes rent. I think by the time you get over that hump you've earned the right to make a few bucks whether that money gets put into property, the stock market, or a business venture. The rhetoric kind of gets old eventually.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm :baby:

Except you are getting returns that are an order of magnitude higher than most anywhere else in the world... by percentage, not absolute dollars.